Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i could feel the tension in my face and contorts my expression into something very awkward much like

especially when im talking with someone who is like a manager or something. (sorry best photo i can find to describe what im talking about)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Sorry this is mostly body language instead of face :crazy: But I was a bit nervous and tense in the photo, because that was the first time I was about to really come into public light over a book I published.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, I can kind of 'freeze'. That girls face was pretty much a mirror, pretty wide eyes, and slightly open mouth.

When I'm nervous my voice (which I struggle to keep control of) is what usually betrays me, or that I start to get stressed (because I can't relax), which is even more obvious. Eyes flickering, getting 'tic behaviour', you name it.

I also talk bloody fast and gibberish when nervous, or extreme slow motion (In my ears, this is when I'm close to fainting, I just start to 'drop').

Reactions: barbalootSuits

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Facial expressions are universal (Of course there are still quite a few not studied by scientists yet) and some can be cultural.
Nervousness which is related to fear is a universal emotion; all cultures pull the same face
like the girl above.

So yes, i do pull my face like that.

(My references are from the book: Emotions Revealed by Paul Ekman)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I do the same thing. My face contorts to however I'm feeling on complete accident, which is often nervous. I've been told my face is incredibly easy to read if you're around me long enough.

So sometimes to subdue how nervous I get and look, I'll sort of look spacey and detached. I feel like I go into my head, especially when I'm under stress. I wonder if this is a defense mechanism anyone else has adopted?

But I swear, I've been told I seem high when I'm not numerous times. Once, my manager at an old job leaned into my face and looked directly in my eyes and I knew exactly what she was doing. Oh goodness.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have no idea what I look like when I'm nervous; I'm too busy being nervous to notice.

I'm not sure that I want to know :crazy:

I definitely feel like the girl in that picture, though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So sometimes to subdue how nervous I get and look, I'll sort of look spacey and detached. I feel like I go into my head, especially when I'm under stress. I wonder if this is a defense mechanism anyone else has adopted?
When I'm stressed I do the same thing, I just space out.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I get scared about thinking about certain things, because then people can tell about how I feel and then they ask if I'm okay. :frustrating:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I usually try to look extra interested in something in my pocket or at my finger or something when Im nervous....like Oh, oh my reciept, how interesting ;) (yeah right)!!! must read it randomly on the street when there are too many people!
I fidget a bunch. Move from one leg to another. Roll my head to each side. Put my hand under my chin, on my hips, in my pocket in one swoop. lol change my keys from pocket to pocket. Look at my phone put it away...look at my phone put it away...lol
But I thank my lucky stars I dont have torrets because I know someone with that and the fidgeting he does must give him whip lash. ouch!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh yeah, I get that face when someone else is driving and merging, or it looks like there's going to be an accident the way the car is going, and for some reason I take my right hand up to my mouth like I'm going to cover it... very odd :bored:.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't make weird faces as much, but I do this weird thing where I press my hands together whenever I get nervous. When I was a little kid(like up to 7ish years old) i would clasp them together with my fingers all twisted and squeeze them really hard and stare at the ceiling. It was a nervous twitch. I used to do it a lot, but(thankfully! i must have looked totally nuts) I have pretty much grown out of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts