Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am forever complaining the my Fe often gets in the way of my Ni. For example, if I have met someone and for some reason I have a hunch that interacting with them isn't such a good idea but they are being lovely and have given me no reason to doubt that they are a nice person my Fe makes me feel I cannot be socially inappropriate and ignore them and hurt their feelings or just come out and say "I have a bad feeling about you I'm going to stop talking to you". So I give them the benefit of the doubt plus I tend to see the good in people even when there is no good and sure enough they end up screwing me over and I wish I had of listened to my hunch.

So, INTJs...do you have this problem but with your Te? And if so how? I'm really interested :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Honestly, that sounds more like a conscious choice than one function getting in the way of another. If anything, Fe is what allows you to have those hunches in the first place. TO answer your question, though, Te doesn't make things difficult for us. We use Te to shape our intuitions into workable and communicable concepts, and then carry them out. It's the only thing keeping us sane, social, and useful.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, that sounds more like a conscious choice than one function getting in the way of another. If anything, Fe is what allows you to have those hunches in the first place. TO answer your question, though, Te doesn't make things difficult for us. We use Te to shape our intuitions into workable and communicable concepts, and then carry them out. It's the only thing keeping us sane, social, and useful.
I thought it was Ni that was allowing me to have those hunches? And yeah it is a conscious choice but I thought it was because I have Fe as a supporting function that I would be more likely to make that choice.
And thanks for your response :) Sounds like Te comes in useful for you.

·
Registered
INTJ
2,490 Posts
No. Our Te supports our Ni if anything.

Fi gets in the way of my Ni at times. Suppose it would be the same case for you (Fe gets in the way of Ni but Ti would work well in conjunction with it).

Just a theory.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. Our Te supports our Ni if anything.

Fi gets in the way of my Ni at times. Suppose it would be the same case for you (Fe gets in the way of Ni but Ti would work well in conjunction with it).

Just a theory.
That's an idea *ponders*

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see how that's possible. The two work in conjucntion. My tertiary Fi could get in the way of my Te if I was in some kind of loop, though.
Hmm okay. I just find (and so do many other INFJs I have spoken to about this) that is can affect decision making in a bad way.
Thanks for responding :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I want an example or two on how Te could get in the way of Ni before I answer.

Does this mean that the extroverted thinking would become so strong that the introverted intuition would be "swallowed" by it? Meaning that one would become less introverted since the extroverted thinking would dominate?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I am forever complaining the my Fe often gets in the way of my Ni. For example, if I have met someone and for some reason I have a hunch that interacting with them isn't such a good idea but they are being lovely and have given me no reason to doubt that they are a nice person my Fe makes me feel I cannot be socially inappropriate and ignore them and hurt their feelings or just come out and say "I have a bad feeling about you I'm going to stop talking to you". So I give them the benefit of the doubt plus I tend to see the good in people even when there is no good and sure enough they end up screwing me over and I wish I had of listened to my hunch.

So, INTJs...do you have this problem but with your Te? And if so how? I'm really interested :)
I agree with a lot of the above. I have on occasions had the feeling/hunch that something was wrong with the present situation (Ni?) but after reflecting on it couldn't find anything logical or rational to back it up with (Te?) and thus ignored it just to regret it later, just as you did. It's happened quite a few times through my lifetime but I can't think of any specific example right now.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with a lot of the above. I have on occasions had the feeling/hunch that something was wrong with the present situation (Ni?) but after reflecting on it couldn't find anything logical or rational to back it up with (Te?) and thus ignored it just to regret it later, just as you did. It's happened quite a few times through my lifetime but I can't think of any specific example right now.
Yes I suspected that this would be the case for INTJs and their Te. Thank you for responding :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes I suspected that this would be the case for INTJs and their Te. Thank you for responding :)
Come to think of it now, I have experienced something like that. I was in a position of leadership once in a recreational context, and a guy came to me with his plan. I got this awful hunch that the plan would wreck my own designs on the project, but the he's a textbook ESTP. They can be incredibly persuasive. He presented an airtight, logical case, and convinced me to go with it, despite my intuition. It didn't take long before I watched all control of the project slip through my fingers, confirming my hunch. I then had the unpleasant duty of telling this ESTP to go back to the drawing board. Soon after, I stepped down from that position, not to return until I was sure I knew what I was doing.

Ni-dominants, trust your instincts. They're usually right.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Yeah, it's happened to me a time or two though I think it's both Te and Fi, not just Te. Usually, something feels wrong -- there are logical inconsistencies or the actions conflict with my values -- but, because I've made a commitment, I will see it through. More to prove that I can do it (I'm right dammit!) and not because I'm worried about offending someone.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Would you mind elaborating? =]
Mmm well Ni is ridiculous. I've always been amused with the phrase "just because you like a little subtext doesn't make you an intuitive" because I can't turn Ni off. it's deeper than just subtext to me. I have had instances when I haven't consciously known an answer but my mouth will blurt out a perfectly well thought out response that can't be argued.
I see Te as a killswitch: "there is no grounds for this reasoning." It rejects erroneous ideas. It's what keeps me grounded.

As far as using Te over Ni and regretting it? I'm sure it's happened, but I'm blanking on instances.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I want an example or two on how Te could get in the way of Ni before I answer.

Does this mean that the extroverted thinking would become so strong that the introverted intuition would be "swallowed" by it? Meaning that one would become less introverted since the extroverted thinking would dominate?
I don't think this is possible.
Look at function development.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Come to think of it now, I have experienced something like that. I was in a position of leadership once in a recreational context, and a guy came to me with his plan. I got this awful hunch that the plan would wreck my own designs on the project, but the he's a textbook ESTP. They can be incredibly persuasive. He presented an airtight, logical case, and convinced me to go with it, despite my intuition. It didn't take long before I watched all control of the project slip through my fingers, confirming my hunch. I then had the unpleasant duty of telling this ESTP to go back to the drawing board. Soon after, I stepped down from that position, not to return until I was sure I knew what I was doing.

Ni-dominants, trust your instincts. They're usually right.
Also had a familiar instance you described.

Reactions: HollyGolightly

·
Banned
849 Posts
I had hunches when I was younger that usually turned out to be true, however I didn't know why, e.g., something someone said just doesn't sound right based on what I knew. Every time I had a hunch I would follow through to find out exactly why and how I might have known earlier that it wasn't true. I've been a wrong a few times, and those cases turned out to be very interesting boundary cases.

The way I've understood hunches in my mind is like the following. Over time, I register a range of characteristics for some information. When someone tells me about something that uses this information, my mind checks the new information with the range of characteristics SIMULTANEOUSLY, and comes back with a "sounds good" or a "sounds bad." I don't know exactly which criteria failed but one of them probably did => hunch. If I talk it through with the person, then I'll find out based on what I know which characteristic failed to match. I generally trust my hunches. So, it effectively doesn't get in my way but acts as a very good filter, which I can later verify in my own time.

I think this may be a characteristic of Ni, which I read somewhere uses the entire brain simultaneously when it encounters a new pattern. I guess how well it works is determined how well organized and true the information I have accumulated in my brain is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts