Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can all agree that racism is a horrible thing. It's a really big problem in this country. Bigger than most people think. It's so disgusting to me to think that people can make such horrible generalizations about entire groups of people and be so stuck in their ways and completely unwilling to change their minds about it. It's created social justice warriors who honestly do have pure intentions, but they are so childish and hate filled that they too often become racist. I know a lot of my fellow INFPs are SJWs and many are probably like how I described. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish that everybody could just be a little bit more empathetic and logical about the entire issue and I was wondering if anybody else had the same feelings as I do on that matter. Also California is hands down the most racist state. Never before have I seen a place more racially divided. I graduated from high school in California just this year and the stuff my peers said was absolutely ridiculous. Thank you guys for reading and discussing. I'm curious to hear what you all think.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It really does anger me something crazy. I just do not understand how you can hate an entire group of people, I mean you have to be pretty unintelligent if you for a second think that a group of millions of people are complete shit? And all that anger and hatred must be so exhausting. I couldn't even become a racist even if tried, just imagine walking around and constantly being annoyed by seeing a white person.

Another thing is how boring life would be if there was only one race. There's so much beauty in different cultures, you have music, food, art literally a million of things to discover and learn!

I don't think I will ever understand it.

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
Whenever there's a 'problem' they don't understand or know how to solve, some people are probably scaredy cats who look for convenient scapegoats to blame.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
What are you counting as racism? What would some examples be?
I don't really see genuine racism very often, personally. I'm more annoyed by people who use the label dishonestly as a weapon, to be honest, but then again I'm not an INFP.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
We can all agree that racism is a horrible thing. It's a really big problem in this country. Bigger than most people think. It's so disgusting to me to think that people can make such horrible generalizations about entire groups of people and be so stuck in their ways and completely unwilling to change their minds about it.
Racism is horrible. But by new definitions everything is racist. There are generalisations about entire groups of people, it's called statistics, which would be just as racist to ignore.

But I get where you're coming from, racist as in believing every black individual to be criminal just because they as a group are more represented in crime statistics is wrong.

It's created social justice warriors who honestly do have pure intentions, but they are so childish and hate filled that they too often become racist. I know a lot of my fellow INFPs are SJWs and many are probably like how I described.
Well, they do have an option don't they? It's not like it's someone else's fault that they choose to be douchebags.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish that everybody could just be a little bit more empathetic and logical about the entire issue and I was wondering if anybody else had the same feelings as I do on that matter
Agreed. That's why BLM and SJW's are making everything worse. You need to be honest and unbiased when trying to solve a problem, you also need to let your personal experiences and feelings be put aside, which isn't always an easy thing to do.

Also California is hands down the most racist state. Never before have I seen a place more racially divided. I graduated from high school in California just this year and the stuff my peers said was absolutely ridiculous. Thank you guys for reading and discussing. I'm curious to hear what you all think.
I can see where you're coming from if the reason for the division of groups are definitely caused by racism, but if it's not - why is that any worse than boys hanging out more with fellow boys than with girls? Not saying either are wrong, but I think there are several more reasons than just skin colour. Culture/interests for one, which explain the boy/girl analogy without the majority of boys being labeled as sexists (at least pre SJW).

I think there is more separation now than it was before. The stats were worse of actual racism/sexism before though, and yet the dividing of groups are more prominent now than a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
830 Posts
More saddened, for a lack of a better word, that some people can't get past their bias. Admittedly, it can be difficult if the bias is somehow constantly reinforced by internal and external forces.

·
Edgelord
INFP 5w4 - ILI - Chaotic Good
6,942 Posts
Meh, it will exist as long as the Human Being keeps being a flawed being and not wanting to improve.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Racism seems to be connected more to the social and economic class than real skin color. I'm talking about communities in America where ghettos are formed with people endangered by poverty and low opportunities in life. They form their own community which negates the outsiders' moralities system.
This level extends from the racism domain and is actually more complicated.

On an individual level, it's incomprehendable to me for someone to be crossed out based on...skin color? That's completely insane without discussion.

I must also say, real racism happening in the world is no excuse for general race of white people as a whole, to be shamed or deprived of understanding their point of view. The fight against racism isn't always as simple as they present it to be, nor is the whole situation. There are other aspects to the story, besides plain skin color.
For example, in my country there is a minority (not a nation but let's say peoples, and they are of darker skin color if that matters in a discussion) who is living in poor life standards and have low opportunities compared to majority. Also, they are continually involved in criminal activities and their image is connected to those activities. The Government is, for years now, fighting to establish their rights and stop them doing organized crime.
The effort is not mutual, for they never take opportunities, and if for example you want to give a begger of that nation actual loaf of bread they would throw it back and ask for money. I am not talking about a couple of experiences here, I'm talking about a rule.
They teach their kids not to go to school, to hate rules and law, how to beg on the street and how to steal.
This is an example that a group that is continuously, for decades now emerged in civilized society, and still does shit.
It often happens some people of this group get extra privilege in some situations, for "they are endangered group".
As a person of the majority, that is a full citizen with rights and obligations, I also feel deprived in rights - I pay my taxes, fight and work hard in life, and pay for their welfare and education of their children which they will reject.
As I said, they happen to be of darker skin color, so any discussion about them or telling negative stuff could be considered as racist. Is it truly so racist?

On the other hand, if I was an employer and interviewing a single person of that nation that is civilized and want to work sincerely, I would give them a fair chance. Not privileged chance - as fair as for everyone else.

So for me, racism is to be dealt on individual basis mostly
- you cannot say all Japanese are strict, all Italians are laid back, all Swedes are cold in heart.
I am still waiting for a just society where you can point someone on their mistakes and not be called a racist, a homophobe, a misogynistic or whatever.

·
MotM 5/2015 | Bankslayer
13,347 Posts
The American left isn't reacting harsh and decisive enough to racism. Saying things like "Mexicans are rapists and criminals" should be a societal taboo and when someone says something like that they need to be put back in their place and opposed heavily.
Otherwise it's just gonna get worse. We are seeing the same thing happening here in Germany where a lot of the former left is becoming more and more liberal and don't oppose racism as strongly as they used to.

Reactions: Effy

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ehh, it's just one of those things some of us have to deal with. Those with power could never understand.

As the saying goes; what does not kill me only makes me stronger.

·
Registered
491 Posts
One of the more frustrating things about racism (and just about any other kind of "ism") for me is that everyone seems to have a different idea of what it actually is. Some people think that being racist means that you say the "N" word, which hardly anyone does any more. Some people think it means that you hate people of a different race and act on it consciously. Other people think that you can be racist without consciously realizing it and it comes out in the form of micro-aggressions. Still others think it's something else.

So, when we try to have a conversation about racism, things get confused to the point where no one (mainly white people) wants to hear anything about it anymore. They feel like: 1, they're being blamed for something they can't fix because they feel that they aren't racist themselves; 2, racism is not a thing anymore and that black people are just whining to get free stuff or whatever; or 3, they can empathize with black people and believe that they are still being discriminated against but feel like they are just preaching to the choir or talking to a brick wall when they bring up the subject. It's all the more complicated that it is a politicized topic because the liberal/conservative lines are drawn in the sand and both believe the other is evil incarnate. Liberals calling conservatives racists and conservatives calling liberals politically correct bleeding hearts. As if that wasn't enough, the issue of class adds a whole other layer to the crap cake. It makes it almost impossible to have a genuine open conversation about it.

So yes it does get me pretty angry because it's hard to wrap my mind around how people can be so ignorant to believe that's it's not an issue anymore, even in the face of solid proof that it does. All throughout history we have had problems accepting people who are different whether it be from race, religion, culture, sex or whatever other senseless things to base hate on. We need to effin' learn already! :angry:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The part about racism that angers me is how it is flung around carelessly as a way of beating your enemies into submission. There is no true counter to being accused of racism. It doesn't matter what your reasons are for feeling the way you do about that person who is not of the same ethnic group as you. The fact that you have an issue at all means you are racist.

Yet when discussed with anyone rationally it becomes obvious how silly this is. Especially the part about how it doesn't matter what color or nationality someone is when it is who they are and what they are doing that is the problem. Think about it. When was the last time that your feelings about anyone was based purely on race? Wouldn't you still feel the same way about that person if they had a different skin color or originated from another part of the planet?

The answer in most cases is obvious, and it is this kind of supposed racism I will oppose every single time.

·
Administrator
14,413 Posts
How do you know California is the most racist state? Have you visited all the other states? Do you have statistics? California is huge and has a lot of different populations.

The most racism I've seen where I live in Cali is against Mexicans (and this ways WAY before Trump)...signs telling people to leave the country, people bitching about others speaking Spanish, talking about Mexican people as if they are lazy and all on drugs while still complaining about them taking their jobs, and then in the next breath bragging about how they have one sixteenth of Indian blood even though they are blond...because they're sooo American. I mean, vigilantes like the Minute Men are just wrong as fuck--but that's in the Southwest, not California.

Yeah, racism irritates me. But no, I don't see 'SJWs' as being especially racist. I am sure there are some, just like there are racist people everywhere else, but I try not to get my panties too twisted up over it. I try to think about the larger issues, which don't include 'oh noes...the whites will be a minority soons! We is all going to be speaking Spanish and yellow colored' (yes, there are people who think like this...I think it's even made the news). No--I am not going to believe I am racist because I'm not sympathetic to that sensationalism.

Also, yes--it does anger me a lot. IDK if it's beyond explanation, but at it's core it is stupid and wrong because none of us control our race--any of us could have been born another race, ethnicity, and social class--so pretending that it's some kind of privilege we've earned or are entitled to makes me quite angry because it seems so ignorant. Racial hierarchy just seems really unjustified and it can also be hurtful to innocent people. And it also seems so stupid that it makes me question faith in humanity, which makes me a little mad and anxious, or has in the past.

I suppose now I just view it as something that exists and while it still makes me angry when I see it, I don't really think of it as angry beyond explanation. I think maybe it's just a reflection of values.

lol--looking over the post and just how defensive the first sentence is--I guess it may seem angry beyond explanation as I don't feel my explanation was that good and I also think I sound angry.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I understand prejudice... it is a biological function that's designed to keep us "safe":

Example:
I have heard that lions are ferocious in defence of their territory and are likely to view a human as little better than a threat to be disposed of or meat to be consumed. I have no real first-hand knowledge of what lions are really like. So my natural tendency is to err on the side of caution and react with fear if I see a lion coming towards me.

What I have a harder time accepting is when people cling to their prejudice without challenging it... unwilling to explore the shades of grey and nuance. When does the lion get angry? What is it that I (people like me) do that provokes, shows respect or has a neutral impact on the lions behaviour?

Failure to question oneself in this way (imo) bespeaks of a life lived in fear which only serves to propagate further fear.... and much like @XPyr... it deeply saddens me...

Reactions: Capricious

·
Registered
193 Posts
Any form of injustice does it for me.
Exactly this. Racism definitely gets my blood boiling, it's clearly unjust. Seriously how does the color of someone's skin actually determine their personality in anyway? Or how they should be treated? Everyone has the right to be treated justly no matter what their color is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it disturbs me to my core. I find it so interesting that the people who are racists typically are not in relationship with any of those people they fear. Yet, they are experts in characterizing a whole group of people they know little about on a personal level.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
There is nearly nothing worse than hating or discriminating/committing evil against somebody purely for the way they were born as that they had no choice in deciding for themselves at all before birth. Its sickening.

Mistreating somebody for factors that were never and are beyond their control you don't like for whatever reason.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In Arabic there's a saying: "Me and my brother- against my cousin, me and my cousin- against my neighbor, me and my neighbor- against the enemy" it is an elaborate way to say that blood, is in fact, thicker than water- and the hot-headed Arab has a distinct hierarchy to determine how thick your blood is, before he chooses to fill the pavement with it.

I believe a little-bit of racism in a globalized world is unescapable, since people need to define the "other" in order to understand where the "self" ends. You can see such behavior in all social animals, including simians, dolphins, canines, bees, ants etc…

Some racism is mandatory for self-preservation along the lines of evolution: Imagine a swarm of killer bees entering a honeycomb of honey producing bees. Would you expect the latter to welcome the former with the polite statement: "Come on in, we've got delicious honey"?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts