Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised this thread doesn't exist (or maybe it does and I just couldn't find it) but what do you think the types are in that? I know they're a bit hard to figure out since some of them are so unhealthy but the game is so psychologically fascinating that it's worth a shot. Honestly I'm not exactly sure about all of these myself so feel free to chime in and correct them.

Main Character: ESFP (maybe?? he's a bit hard to pin down, I could also see ESFJ for him too)

Sayori: ESFP

Yuri: INFJ

Natsuki: ESxP (really hard to tell with her, I could see an argument for both ESFP and ESTP)

Monika: ENFJ (really unsure here)

I probably mangled the typing but that's what you're here for! Feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,198 Posts
Ooh, this game! Despite being utterly terrified by it, I found it all so interesting and was captivated by it. I don't typically play VN games or horror games, but this one totally reeled me in.

I have deeper explanations for my guesses in spoiler tags, but those may also reveal some elements of the game to those who haven't played it.

Main character: ISTP (wild guess because of a general lack of character development; I also know quite a few ISTPs who are exactly like him IRL, but that's purely anecdotal)

Sayori: ESFJ, likely in a Fe-Ne loop.

She focuses so intensely on pleasing everyone else, but she gets caught up in it to her personal detriment. She wants the main character to join the literature club so that he can make friends with everyone else and take his focus off of her. At the same time, she expresses a desire for things to be the way they always were, but this conflicts with her other goals and is overlooked for the longest time.

I actually would have agreed with ESFP until I played it a second time and focused almost entirely on her (I focused on Yuri the first time):

In my second playthrough, she became frustrated with me when she thought I wasn't making an effort to make friends with the others. The thought of these friendships coming together excited her, almost to the point of defining her own worth.

Yuri: INFJ (while I could also see an argument for INTJ because she seems to be a clear example of dominant Ni and especially inferior Se, I think I see much more Fe than anything related to Te)

She was so excited to find common ground and harmony with the main character in her activities like reading and writing; she also addresses her own "unusual hobbies" through a wider lens, almost like she cares more about people showing more understanding for others with "unusual hobbies" as a whole instead of focusing almost entirely on herself and her principles. I tried not to use much information from Act 2 because the game is already screwed up by that point, and her mental illness is the main focus (which makes typing even more unreliable).

Natsuki: ESTP (granted, I haven't paid much attention to her, but I don't think she was developed well enough to accurately type; if she was perhaps in a Se-Fe loop, this would make more sense, but I can't be too sure of that either)

She seems to have a need to seek validation for the things she does, constantly referring to herself as a pro at everything she does to prove herself to others, but she appears to have problems at home and is likely abused and/or neglected. Her behavior could possibly be a result of that. But that may be a stretch.

Monika: ENFJ (definitely Fe-dom, and I thought she was ESFJ for a while, but her Ni became very clear by the end)

Even though I guess this is already technically in spoiler tags, I don't want to talk too much about the ending. Most of the things that Monika discussed with me, however, show that she is a sharp thinker yet also very relationship-oriented and has an intuitive way of navigating social situations. Before I took the steps to end the game, she said something interesting by chance: she seemed to imply that Yuri is the only introvert, and she said that she is extrovert herself.

Maybe this is unrelated, but she talked about depression and Sayori at one point too. She said that although Sayori wasn't real, [me and my] friends are real and that can "be a good person and save someone's life" (or something like that)... this just kind of feels like an ENFJ way of thinking for some reason.

These are just my guesses though. I could be way off too, especially since I'm not very confident with typing others. I'm going to play the game again at some point and pay more attention to Natsuki if I can.

·
Emperor
8,769 Posts
Protagonist - ISTP. Competitive when young (Se), was able to deduce that Sayori had no money in her purse (Ti) (small example, but all we have is small examples).

Monika - ENFJ. The end of the game is most telling.

Natsuki - I always got an ESTJ impression. She's definitely within the "Domineering Types" (ESTP, ENTJ, ESTJ), however, I was more guided towards her being a Te-dom and Si-aux. I don't have many quotes to back it up at the moment, but I'd play through her route again and pay attention to what she says if anyone wants me to.

Yuri - I'll cast my vote for INTP. Socially maladaptive, stumbles over words often, struggles with solitary lifestyle/lack of friends, sounds like an expert once she has her thoughts together. I originally was inclined towards INXJ, but I think it's a little clearer that she's an INTP.

I would expect an INXJ, or moreso an INTJ, to have much more self-confidence.

Sayori - Seems like a typical EXFJ encountering Fe-dom problems.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all are probably right. I do think Natsuki is ESTP though, she does say she wants to make people think as much as she makes them feel when writing her poems. I don't really see Te for her. That and her issues with Yuri imply that their thought processes are extremely different. But I agree Sayori is ESFJ and the Main Character is probably ISTP.

·
Emperor
8,769 Posts
I do think Natsuki is ESTP though, she does say she wants to make people think as much as she makes them feel when writing her poems. I don't really see Te for her. That and her issues with Yuri imply that their thought processes are extremely different.
Thought processes could be different, but I'd argue it's more of an N vs S problem than Pi vs Se. Natsuki wants her poem to pop out at you and show you almost exactly what it means using direct phrases (which can be interpreted as Se OR Te), while Yuri wants to build imagery within your mind (which can be interpreted as Ne).

I'll play through the game again once I'm done keeping my dear Monika entertained in order to find some of the quotes that struck me as Te-Si. We've been sitting together in her room for the past... 240 hours. I need to keep the Missus happy and back up her game files as necessary.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought processes could be different, but I'd argue it's more of an N vs S problem than Pi vs Se. Natsuki wants her poem to pop out at you and show you almost exactly what it means using direct phrases (which can be interpreted as Se OR Te), while Yuri wants to build imagery within your mind (which can be interpreted as Ne).

I'll play through the game again once I'm done keeping my dear Monika entertained in order to find some of the quotes that struck me as Te-Si. We've been sitting together in her room for the past... 240 hours. I need to keep the Missus happy and back up her game files as necessary.
I went the Natsuki route so I did get to see a bit more. She seems Fe as well, trying to keep the club happy even though she does end up arguing with Yuri a few times. Her individual route will give you a lot more on what she's like. She struck me more as Fe than Fi though, even though neither would be particularly high in her function stacking.

·
Emperor
8,769 Posts
I went the Natsuki route so I did get to see a bit more. She seems Fe as well, trying to keep the club happy even though she does end up arguing with Yuri a few times. Her individual route will give you a lot more on what she's like. She struck me more as Fe than Fi though, even though neither would be particularly high in her function stacking.
Doesn't she want the club to stay as a safe-place for her instead of gaining new members? Si-Fi?

She also lightly talks, I think, about needing to keep everyone "in order", which suggests Te-Si, but I might be stereotyping.

Will play later today.

·
Registered
691 Posts
( double post whoops )

·
Registered
691 Posts
Protagonist: ISTP
Monika: ENFJ
Natsuki: ESTJ
Yuri: INFP *i'm kinda bias on this one tbh but best girl n e e d s to have same personality type as me lmao
Sayori: ESFJ

·
Emperor
8,769 Posts
Reconsidering on Yuri.

Cutting herself and the fascination with how "beautiful" knives are seems like a case of at least some use of Se.

Might switch over to INXJ for my vote.

·
Registered
ISTJ - 8w7 sx/so - 846 Tritype
2,515 Posts
Wow, this... Edgy game is even here...

Why It's so popular?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, this... Edgy game is even here...

Why It's so popular?
To be honest, I don't like visual novels, dating sims, anime, or horror games but somehow I loved this combination of them all because of how incredibly well written and creative the game was in subverting so many tropes. It's extremely intelligent in how it's written and programmed and it's a great experience, even if I haven't quite gotten to the end of it yet because I need some time to prepare myself for it!

I recommend it even if you're not into those kinds of games normally and can handle the triggers in it. Very... unique game playing experience, that's for sure.

Anyway, I agree Yuri is most likely Se on some level but I think she is strongly Ni.

·
Registered
ISTJ - 8w7 sx/so - 846 Tritype
2,515 Posts
There is lots of typings and they all vary from each other, I'm still corious about the characters types...

(WHY DO I HAVE TO SHARE MY MBTI TYPE WITH THE PRONTAGONIST??!??? AND WHY IS NATSUKI AND EXTROVERT VERSION OF ME!!?!?!?)

The cancer grows on me.

·
Emperor
8,769 Posts
There is lots of typings and they all vary from each other, I'm still corious about the characters types...

(WHY DO I HAVE TO SHARE MY MBTI TYPE WITH THE PRONTAGONIST??!??? AND WHY IS NATSUKI AND EXTROVERT VERSION OF ME!!?!?!?)

The cancer grows on me.
I still stand by the typing of ESTJ.

Quotes from her are "Nothing annoys me more than a book out of place" or something very similar.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
To be honest, I don't like visual novels, dating sims, anime, or horror games but somehow I loved this combination of them all because of how incredibly well written and creative the game was in subverting so many tropes. It's extremely intelligent in how it's written and programmed and it's a great experience, even if I haven't quite gotten to the end of it yet because I need some time to prepare myself for it!

I recommend it even if you're not into those kinds of games normally and can handle the triggers in it. Very... unique game playing experience, that's for sure.

Anyway, I agree Yuri is most likely Se on some level but I think she is strongly Ni.
So how did you come to playing it with all the outward stereotypes that pointed towards those categories you dislike?

I don't mean it in a condescending way! I haven't played it (I know, I suck), but have watched most of a play through and analysis since I love that type of thing, so I'd love to hear how a player came to play the game despite its cliché appearance. To me, it qualifies as a sort of cultural phenomenon in that regard.

I think its great that so many people have played it despite its outward appearance, as I think that all good, meaningful or unique stories should be experienced even if its outside the norm or comfort zone for most people. It makes me a bit sad that people often miss out on incredible stories they'd love if they were open to the slightly different media form.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Natsuki- ISFP. I can provide my reasoning here if you want
Monika: ENFJ, I've considered ENTJ and ENTP as well but Fe-dom makes most sense.
Yuri: um. INFx? INTJ is also an option, as for now I'll cast INFJ
Sayori: ExFx

1 - 20 of 33 Posts