Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, curious ENFP here. Or rather, xNFP. How did you come to figure out that Fi was your dominant function? How would you describe Fi? How do you see yourself "using" it? What are some moments where you "use" it? How do you use it with Ne?

Like I said, rather curious. As types go, I feel that ENFP is most similar to INFP. Just my opinion. ^^ So I would simply like to hear your opinions on the matter.

·
Banned
600 Posts
How did you come to figure out that Fi was your dominant function?
It's the one I use the most and looking back at my childhood, it's the first one that got very developed.

How would you describe Fi? How do you see yourself "using" it? What are some moments where you "use" it?
To me, it's a moral compass that cannot be ignored. It's always used. This is a key difference between INFPs and ENFPs. INFPs have a much harder time maintaining a balance between Fi and Te, unlike ENFPs.

If you are an ENFP, you could compare it to the way you use Ne. It's something you feel absolutely comfortable with.

How do you use it with Ne?
Personally, I don't think I can use Ne without Fi doing its work in the background. Whenever I come up with scenarios/ideas/fantasies, Fi will judge each and every one of them continuously.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
My introversion and extroversion has always been close; I think the difference in knowing I am an Fi-dom is that even as a small child the, even though I was not aware I was introverting but thought i was engaging in the world, everything was engaged not only in what it is but "what this morally means". Every event in my life is analyzed for meaning or how i can use it or understand it's signifigance, and often tihngs of injustice or particular beauty struck me very hard. Now i know I am an Fi dom because like Overflow says :), it is a moral compass that cannot be ignored.
I think an enfp goes about thinking of options and has the choice to pop into introspection for clarity or perhaps as emergency back up, their auxiliary Fi. We spend most of our time being guided by invisible moral/value-based patterns, or not even good-bad based ideals but just searching for meaning, in how events pertain to us or the world, backed by Ne looking for patterns.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
@Overflow
When I am heavily using Ne in my mind I can turn off Fi for the most part. Less judgement; but the part of Fi that is giving me emotional impact is still working. I am entirely capable of "leaning" on my extrovert functions for short periods of time; the problem is since I am usually in Fi mode, if I get stuck I don't see the value or re-balancing my perceptions as opposed to continual analysis. I need to work on making conscious choices to re-frame my thoughts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For the most part, it's mostly unconscious to me and it's only something I'm aware of after the fact. It's an invisible force shaping and directing my actions and choices.

I remember the first time I realized that I program my behavior through a very conscious and definite decisions, and when I make decisions in the moment I always act in accordance to that decision. These decisions could come from anywhere, from an experience of someone else impacting me in such a way that I vowed I would never do it myself, or make making a choice that would hurt someone else, or by imagining and exploring a scenario in the depths of my mind acting and reacting as myself and other characters I created to different scenarios and options. I remember when I made that realization I it made me quite excited because it's cool how I can make a decision so profound that my life operates according to that decision, but it did leave me with a certain caution and fear that the ability needed to be protected. That fear that if someone knew how I worked and that if they could convince me to program myself to act in a way that was for their own purpose, then I would not be myself I would be a slave to that person. That fear is still present, but it's more subdued because I realize now that it actually is very hard to convince me to make that decision, that it has to be something that I can make universal and applicable to all situations at all times.

When I don't operate according to one of those decisions, Si loves to come back and tortures me by going, "Hey, remember this decision you made here and sum of experiences that led you to make that decision, well, you just failed." When I do operate according to one of those decisions, Si comes back and says, "Do you remember when you experienced this and this decision you made? You did good." This is what I mean by it's something I'm aware of after the fact, I generally don't recall it in the moment since my attention is usually on the outer world, but later when I get back to my inner world, that's when it usually comes up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts