Personality Cafe banner

Dominant Function and how you usually tackle your goals and use problem solving

768 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Gilead 
#1 ·
I'm doing some research so if everyone would be kind and to the point...

**Please state your type AND dominant cognitive function**

Explain your usually method for tackling your goals and going after what you want in life. What do you focus on first, and what steps do you take to get there?

#2 ·
INFJ, Ni dominant (of course).

If I'm confronted with a hard problem I try to just wait it out. I tend to be consumed with said problem, always coming back to it in conversations and while I'm supposed to be doing other stuff. It's like it's some constant process in my head that tries to draw everything to it.
Then, after a while (usually while I'm in the shower), it suddenly hits me and I have to share it with others to gain some perspective on it (Fe). Depending on the response I either go back in the tank or see if I can put it to paper in some way and formulate something specific with Ti/Se. That's the hard part, but if I got it right in the abstract sense, it's a lot easier to make it specific.

It's mostly an unconcious process. If there's a hurry I try to force myself to power through it, but it never feels right afterwards.

#3 ·
Explain your usually method for tackling your goals and going after what you want in life. What do you focus on first, and what steps do you take to get there?
Probably an ENFP, so Ne dom. Some people have suggested that I could be an INFP though, so maybe Fi but I think that's unlikely.

When confronted with problems, the way that I handle them isn't really consistent. My first instinct is to analyze the problem and break it apart. I figure out why the problem has come about, different ways that I could solve said problem (Ne), what resources I have, and finally what the most efficient way to solve that problem would be (Te). A lot of visualization. That doesn't always work though, in which case I'll try to explain the situation to someone else. I tell them what I know about it, how I've tried to solve it, what my ideas are to deal with it (Ne). I never really look for a response from said person, but I find that by making the problem external, things usually just piece themselves together without much on my part (Ne/Te). Worst case scenario I completely ignore the problem, sometimes it comes to me as an "epiphany" when I just relaxing randomly and it's solved, but other times it just delays inevitable pain.

Goals are different. A lot of my goals are long term, and many of them I've had since I was very young (ie. I want to buy my mom a house on the beach, I want to become a scientific researcher, I'm going to get a ph.d one day, ect.). Still, I don't really plan how I'm going to get there all the time, although I will do some things ahead of time in order to make sure that those goals are still possible years in advance (ie. Make sure I have high grades so I can get into a good college). Still, I suppose that's all I do. My goals are somewhat ill defined, and while long standing, subject to change as my environment and mindset change as well.

#4 ·
I either am super decisive if my Se got any useful information regarding the problem for Ni to base on, or I freeze in fear if it doesn't :D

#5 ·
INFP Fi-Dom

Anytime I have actually went after my goals it was always to see the outcome of my goal and how amazing I would feel from seeing the outcome.

So I first focus on what I want to see and that promises me a certain feeling I would get from seeing that.

The steps I take are using my abilities to make that goal happen.
And what keeps me going is keeping the work within the realm of my abilities and breaking it down until it's simple enough for me to accomplish in chunks. If the work is hard, and not worth the joy I'm after, I usually tucker out real fast.

Example: I had to make a character for a fighting game. The game required me to make 33 animations for the character to be functional in the program. I was so inspired by how awesome it would look if my artwork became a fully functional playable character that I went down the list of animations and knocked out an animation a day until all 33 were done and I got my character into the game. I was ecstatic to see him in the game. The WORST thing that could of happened would have been to see my character in the game with only half the animations completed, that would of taken all the motivation out of me to complete the rest of the animations, since I gained the joy I was seeking prematurely.

I imagine this process Fi finding joy in Ne possibilities.

#6 · (Edited)
ESTP (Se) , 8w9, SO

Setting goals? Sounds like planning. bleh. Sometimes there are things I want to do, so I do it.

Problem Solving? THIS is what I do. First I observe the environment (Se), then I process and analyze (Ti) looking for inefficiencies and inaccuracies. I compare and contrast known good environment to problematic environment. If I dont know what known good environment looks like, I research.

Once the environment is known (experience), I will have categorized/organized various common problems in my head (Ti) in this fashion -
Symptoms A+B+C....(Se) = Problem X, which is fixed by Solution Y

#7 ·
I presume wanting to achieve material goals in general related to my sensing (Se), but the analysis part is dealt with thinking (Ti) obviously. Now, mostly it is about determining what is necessary in a situation and as a general rule I do this by posing a series of questions to myself; related to the current state of things and the specific outcome I deem desirable in some way. This requires some forward thinking but not too much speculation about the course of events, I'd rather deal with every "step" independent from one another.

After the questions help me clarify what needs to be done, momentum again comes from Se - pushing things on the move in a way that will further my plans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.