Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people with dominant introverted intuition (Ni), like INTJ and INFJ, appear to share a fear of people or have social shyness. This could be due to a lack of understanding about others, such as having communication issues or negative childhood experiences.

The author of the following article appears to be INTJ, in which he talks about his fear of people that possibly stemmed from stories about the Holocaust and watching childhood fights:
Fear of People | Psychology Today
Author Eliezer Sobel's video:

Another article on the disappearance of a famous scientist, named Margie Profet (another possible INTJ), alleges that she grew increasingly reclusive after her theories about allergies were being challenged.
The Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Genius | Psychology Today

A third person is a con-artist named Esther Reed (possibly also INTJ) who stole others' identities, scammed stores with bogus receipts on return items to earn money, attended Columbia University, and hung out with West Point cadets. Her behaviors grew suspicious to the point that the Secret Service thought she was a spy, and she evaded capture for many years under a different name. In an interview, Esther explained how she is afraid of familiar faces, and traveling to new locations and assuming a different identity helps keep herself safe.
Esther Reed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for INFJ, there is a reputation that they tend to shut themselves off from loved ones, or people who are close to them, from time to time, and this might be related to the fears the people in the examples above had. What do you guys think? Thank you.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
There could be some truth to that, although it really depends on the individual . For example, my INTJ husband isn't afraid with social gatherings and people, he just gets bored or tired of them. He isn't afraid to talk around people, he just doesn't feel like he has much to say unless its something he is either interested, or knowledgeable with. My INFJ brother is the same way. Spending time alone with their thoughts is more natural for both of them. If you can find common ground with either of them, they can talk for hours. I think it all depends on their environment and surroundings growing up. They could possibility fear their thoughts , because Ni thinks before they speak, so with people who are talking too fast, or moving in different directions ( like me Ne)...they can't keep up at times with what they want to say. It seems by the time they have something well thought out, the subject could be changed and lost....anywho, this is my experience with these two types.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Many people with dominant introverted intuition (Ni), like INTJ and INFJ, appear to share a fear of people or have social shyness. This could be due to a lack of understanding about others, such as having communication issues or negative childhood experiences.

A third person is a con-artist named Esther Reed who stole others' identities, scammed stores with bogus receipts on return items to earn money, attended Columbia University, and hung out with West Point cadets. Her behaviors grew suspicious to the point that the Secret Service thought she was a spy, and she evaded capture for many years under a different name. In an interview, Esther explained how she is afraid of familiar faces, and traveling to new locations and assuming a different identity helps keep herself safe.

As for INFJ, there is a reputation that they tend to shut themselves off from loved ones, or people who are close to them, from time to time, and this might be related to the fears the people in the examples above had. What do you guys think? Thank you.
Maybe this is because they're Introverts?
The three examples sound like the (uncommon) unhealthy ones.

Those are just my theories, though.
*Wanders off...*

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right?
All I seeing is Ni Fi / Ni Ti loops in the OP.
Having inferior Se might produce the "Adversarial Attitude Toward the World" as mentioned in this thread, which could explain the fear-of-people experience associated with Ni-dom.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Having inferior Se might produce the "Adversarial Attitude Toward the World" as mentioned in this thread, which could explain the fear-of-people experience associated with Ni-dom.
===================================

From the thread link you provided:

emerald sea said:
... I've been reading the section in Naomi Quenk's book Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out our Hidden Personality about Ni-dominants' inferior Se as it reveals itself under stress.

She says that Se as an inferior function of INFJs and INTJs (
appearing under stress, for which she uses the phrase "in the grip") demonstrates itself differently from Se as a dominant function of ESTPs and ESFPs:

Healthy Ni dominants in general are not afraid of people.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
as an Ni dom, i'm not afraid of people. :) as an introvert, i feel the need to disappear off the face of the planet - and off the social radar - at times for the sake of solitude...but it's not due to fear but rather a result of emotional-energy drain.

maybe what you are seeing is (in part) the effect of trauma on the human brain? cf. PTSD and similar disorders

mistrust of people can be based in reality (perceiving someone who is a threat as a threat) or delusion (paranoia, or reading threats where they do not exist) or experience-based vigilance (PTSD, brain response to any trauma such as abuse, or just the natural attempt to avoid re-experiencing mistreatment).

as Agent Blackout stated, this sort of response can be inferior Se occurring under stress...this does not occur in a psychologically-healthy Ni-dom who is not stressed out. :)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as an Ni dom, i'm not afraid of people. :) as an introvert, i feel the need to disappear off the face of the planet - and off the social radar - at times for the sake of solitude...but it's not due to fear but rather a result of emotional-energy drain.

maybe what you are seeing is (in part) the effect of trauma on the human brain? cf. PTSD and similar disorders

mistrust of people can be based in reality (perceiving someone who is a threat as a threat) or delusion (paranoia, or reading threats where they do not exist) or experience-based vigilance (PTSD, brain response to any trauma such as abuse, or just the natural attempt to avoid re-experiencing mistreatment).

as Agent Blackout stated, this sort of response can be inferior Se occurring under stress...this does not occur in a psychologically-healthy Ni-dom who is not stressed out. :)
Everybody gets stressed one time or another, though certain individuals respond to stress in an extreme way. Extreme responses, such as assuming another identity and disappearing, might be due to a lack of self-control when one constantly worries about something.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Everybody gets stressed one time or another, though certain individuals respond to stress in an extreme way. Extreme responses, such as assuming another identity and disappearing, might be due to a lack of self-control when one constantly worries about something.
... and all that would make them unhealthy individuals. And uncommon.

Regardless of "types" or "theories," healthy people are not afraid of other people... c'mon dude, lol.

Edit: Wait, you do realize there's a difference between being timid/introversion and having a fear of people, right?

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
so what you're saying is that the examples you gave in the OP are cases of extreme responses to stress? they definitely are extreme - it's sad to read those stories.

it seems though that there is more to the stories than just that. the reason i suggested trauma-response is that their stories sound like one of these three situations:

1. they were otherwise healthy individuals who faced stress to an extremely severe degree, either one soul-shocking tragic event or chronic dramatically severe stress, and the experience broke their psychological health, causing them to respond in these extreme ways.
2. they were deeply broken psychologically already, before encountering stress, for it to have such a profound effect on them.
3. a combination of #1 & #2.

these stories are not a typical INFJ response under stress. the people involved in these stories are deeply scarred psychologically.

introverts disappear from the social scene regularly to recover energy. disappearing temporarily and becoming a complete recluse are two very different states. and Ni-dominants can become suspicious of people or read negatively into situations under stress, but ordinary suspicion and the profound paranoia that would lead to taking on a different persona for self-protection (in the absence of real threat) are two very different things. you are seeing real similarities, but the difference is one of both degree and health. :) one is minor and ordinary, one is major and unusual. one is a healthy state, one is a profoundly unhealthy state.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I only see Se in the second scenario.

Another article on the disappearance of a famous scientist, named Margie Profet (another possible INTJ), alleges that she grew increasingly reclusive after her theories about allergies were being challenged.
The Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Genius | Psychology Today
Ni Fi. A lack of Te refuses any objective reasoning.

A third person is a con-artist named Esther Reed (possibly also INTJ) who stole others' identities, scammed stores with bogus receipts on return items to earn money, attended Columbia University, and hung out with West Point cadets. Her behaviors grew suspicious to the point that the Secret Service thought she was a spy, and she evaded capture for many years under a different name. In an interview, Esther explained how she is afraid of familiar faces, and traveling to new locations and assuming a different identity helps keep herself safe.
Esther Reed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Can't really tell with this one. It seems more Se-oriented. INTJs are more known for their calculating nature, yes, but all of the risk would put me over.

Ni Ti loop. Breaking away from others to isolate yourself.

Any criticism is welcome here. Granted Dom tert loops are not widely accepted; I just don't see Se in either the first or third scenario. Also, the implications of an Ni dom posting this.... yes, this feeds my Ni.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Neurotic Ni Doms tend to show Schizotypal behavior, which includes paranoia against other people
this is not a type thing. schizophrenia is a medical matter. any person of any MBTI type who has the unfortunate combination of genetic predisposition and certain life stresses is vulnerable to developing schizophrenia. cf. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/what-causes-schizophrenia.shtml and http://www.schizophrenia.com/hypo.php

your statements are unfounded.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
i can definitely see what you mean @Sparky.

i don't think the question was "are these people certified Ni-dom.s?", or "will every Ni-dom. experience this?", or "is it possible for anyone other than an Ni-dom. to experience this?", but more "can you see what i'm talking about?" (lol, at least to me).

i'm not too clear on all there is to know about the inferior function in people, but i'm fairly certain that they will experience the function in a negative way and that they will also project these negative thoughts onto whatever is appropriate (in regards to what their inferior is). so, inferior Se could result in an overall fear of the outer world, people, social situations--really anything that could cause the introvert to feel as if the outer world is invading or oppressing them in some way (and the reasons for this feeling may not be founded in reality, but that part doesn't really matter either).

this is a cool topic though... i know that it's unpopular to try and order types to psychological disorders but if a disorder is stemming from a particular "fear/whatever" and that "fear/--" is a common sign of an unhealthy "relationship" with a person's inferior state of mind, then... it doesn't mean that it is the cause--something else could easily be responsible--but with that kind of link present it doesn't really make sense to completely rule it from the get-go either.

i do sometimes notice an "adversarial" outlook on the outer world (from myself that is), and i do think it's directly linked to my being a type 6. my blood pressure rises, i can hear my pulse in my ears--sometimes i'll even notice that my posture is very erect (i always slouch, terrible posture) with my chin slightly raised and chest ridiculously puffed out and up 'till the point that i noticed it, i was completely unaware that i was unconsciously reading myself for a fight/flight response.

i see the above as: i was in my nice secluded area, all quiet and cozy, and all of sudden i feel like that intact zone has been transplanted into an environment that is the complete 180 of my comfort zone. but the interesting things is that all of the "craziness" has more to do with my complete unconscious rejection of the outer world and once i force myself to take it in my own state of mind does change. (all of the above isn't an everyday thing, just using an example :p).

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
this is not a type thing. schizophrenia is a medical matter. any person of any MBTI type who has the unfortunate combination of genetic predisposition and certain life stresses is vulnerable to developing schizophrenia. cf. NIMH · What causes schizophrenia? and Schizophrenia Cause and Prevention

your statements are unfounded.
Maybe the solution to this thread is just as easy? Everywhere I've read states that schizophrenia shows itself in early adulthood.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts