Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been an inveterate INTP for a long time, by which I mean that I've tested INTP fairly decisively in all personality tests that I've taken until recently. For the most part I agree with a lot of what they say about INTPs, probably about 90% of it; however, the things I dislike are how those descriptions all make INTPs out to be on another planet lost in thought at all hours of the day, seemingly being people of absolutely no practical value, basically Doc Brown without the time machine.

I've always been a dreamer and in introvert, when I was a child they thought I was autistic. I can spend hours literally just living out stories with so many vibrant and lively characters or imagine myself being famous and going through fake interviews on the Colbert Report or whatever, or sit around working out my unified theory of the human experience (whatever the hell that would be). However, in college I was good friends with an ENTJ, and while he got straight A's and I basically got C's while devoting about 15% of my energy to my studies and 85% to partying I was never the quiet submissive one lost in thought. This ENTJ friend of mine and I were as we would say 'heterosexual life partners', we had a solid bromance going on, and I was always the one leading him on harebrained adventures and getting us locked up in county or chased by a rather large mob of lineman who wanted their hookah back. In terms of academia I was never very quiet either, I often times ruthlessly dominated classroom debates in cut-throat and trenchant fashion earning a reputation as the classrooms intelligent underachiever, and when it came to group work I more often than not took the lead, ESPECIALLY if someone else who seemed inept tried to lead, it would then become MY project.

I recently got INTJ with a weak J from humanmetrics dot com [posting sight link triggered spam filters]

The distribution was 11% introverted; 75% intuitive; 62% thinking; 1% judging

I then moments after taking the one that gave me INTJ --humanmetrics up until recently always gave me strong INTP-- took the test offered through this sight and got a VERY strong INTP score. Now post graduation from college I was going to find a place with an INTJ friend of mine ('nother bromance), again, I'm the one finding all the places and contacting all the people which seems a role reversal there. But at the same time from working on cars and just in general, my INTJ friend has always been very calculated, he needs to know every variable before moving, and I on the other hand have bought crotch rockets on a whim not knowing whether or not they run. He thinks I'm insane, and I think he's a nancey from time to time.

Another thing is that I am extremely introverted, but I often times find myself the center of attention sharing stories and jokes and I'm very aggressive and probing during job interviews as well and have yet to not nail an interview even though I wind up leaving a lot of jobs due to boredom.

So the thing ultimately that I'm curious about is if I've just developed some areas of weakness and I'm still very INTP or am I maybe an INTJ or maybe even ENTJ? I'm definitely the 'chameleon' they talk about with INTPs in that I can gauge a room and make them love me, but I've also failed horribly and managed to offend everyone's dearest values while not seeming to give a damn about it :blushed:. Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm an athletic 260lbs and 6'5'' tall and it's just bolstered a more domineering INTP. I like control but it makes me weary as does putting on a show for people.

If I were to describe myself objectively I'd say I'm a big thoughtful oaf, very easy to get to know, sometimes funny and sometimes an asshole, and not afraid to dive into any situation and to use my smarts to save my own ass (and believe me, I've gotten myself out of some doosies in my time)

The length alone of this post probably means I'm INTP, so I guess I should just delete this so that way I don't bring pain to your conscious/later on subconscious when you sleep on it. But I'm just curious because whenever people find out I'm an introvert, and despite getting an 11% which is a lil' weak on the introverted side I can assure you that the majority of my time is spent alone, people seem so surprised. Usually saying, "No way YOU'RE an introvert." But sometimes I can become downright crabby and it blindsides people because I was so jovial and entertaining the other day during the weekend at the cabin but suddenly I just want to go off into the woods by myself for the next 3 hours.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I would recommend reading up on introverted thinking and introverted intuition. There is a big different in how these functions work. Introverted thinking, Ti, is dominant function of INTPs. It is a judging, disjointing, clarifying function. Introverted intuition, Ni, is dominant for INTJs. It is a perceiving, connecting function that can be confusing sometimes. You should be able to relate more easily to description of one over the other. Place to read up on it: Function Attitude

The test is inaccurate so only way to type yourself is to get an understanding of how all these cognitive functions work.

... However, in college I was good friends with an ENTJ, and while he got straight A's and I basically got C's while devoting about 15% of my energy to my studies and 85% to partying I was never the quiet submissive one lost in thought. This ENTJ friend of mine and I were as we would say 'heterosexual life partners'
INTPs can take well to the guardians, SJs, because their tertiary 'relief' function is Si. It kind of craves for stability, and SJs can offer that being auxiliary or dominant in it.

Another thing is that I am extremely introverted, but I often times find myself the center of attention sharing stories and jokes and I'm very aggressive and probing during job interviews as well and have yet to not nail an interview even though I wind up leaving a lot of jobs due to boredom.
That may be your Ne blossoming. I know one INTP who does this kind of chameleoning into an extravert periodically and another dude who I thought was an ENTP because he is actually not shy initiating conversations with people and doing this 'probing' thing. I think he is just higher on Ne than the first guy, or may be was raised in atmosphere that supported extraversion more.

but I've also failed horribly and managed to offend everyone's dearest values while not seeming to give a damn about it
sure INTPs and ENTPs can do this no problem - you don't need to be an INTJ for this :p

The length alone of this post probably means I'm INTP, so I guess I should just delete this so that way I don't bring pain to your conscious/later on subconscious when you sleep on it.
INxJs draft long posts as well as per Ni's tendency to overanalyze things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts