Personality Cafe banner

441 - 457 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
ENFJ
68 Posts
Makes no sense, cant have a wildly different cognition than a type and be that type. NPD is also antithetical to enfp because it requires a very
disconnected perception from reality and a highly defensive attitude that is more congruent with introversion. ENPs have self doubt because thats how we learn from the world and change our ideas, cant have that and also develop npd which is opposite.
I understand what you're saying, and I'm not at all convinced he's an ENFP, but it depends on how you view MBTI types and cognitive functions. Narcissism is something developed in childhood, rather than something you are born with, so if you are born with a certain personality type it would stand to reason any type could be a narcissist or sociopath, since both are made, not born, unlike a psychopath. That said, an ENFP with NPD would certainly act atypical for an ENFP at times. However, if you believe we develop cognitive functions or a type itself in childhood, well then it may stand to reason that certain types are more likely to have certain disorders.

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
For the record I don't think Trump has NPD. People who say he does are mostly virtue-signalling and not very smart. But yeah, it's incongruent with what a feeler is supposed to be.

·
exploring space
9,698 Posts
I understand what you're saying, and I'm not at all convinced he's an ENFP, but it depends on how you view MBTI types and cognitive functions. Narcissism is something developed in childhood, rather than something you are born with, so if you are born with a certain personality type it would stand to reason any type could be a narcissist or sociopath, since both are made, not born, unlike a psychopath. That said, an ENFP with NPD would certainly act atypical for an ENFP at times. However, if you believe we develop cognitive functions or a type itself in childhood, well then it may stand to reason that certain types are more likely to have certain disorders.

I think personality disorders are linked to types and though some can develop in vastly different types they still manifest kinda differently depending on the type, BPD comes to mind here as from what I've seen P and Js manage it differently (former are more likely to turn it inwards and latter to lash out more and express their dependence more). But NPD is just so opposite to NE cognition I find it hard to believe one can develop it, it requires needing control over the environment and being defensive of one's ideas.

I dunno if types are from birth or their potential from birth that we develop in childhood. There's prob some mix of both, but MBTI is not helpful at all with this since their types are quite arbitrary their 4 letters and cognitive functions don't match. I prefer the Jungian system more, though not without errors either. Like, we could make the case that an ENFP is born with those preferences and their dynamics are developed later in childhood (if N or F or P or E dom etc), but that requires seeing types as E,N,F,P and not NeFiTeSi. The latter requires some fundamental contradictions to make any sense, while the former considers what extra/introversion really are (an attitude of adaptation between self & world).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Makes no sense, cant have a wildly different cognition than a type and be that type. NPD is also antithetical to enfp because it requires a very
disconnected perception from reality and a highly defensive attitude that is more congruent with introversion. ENPs have self doubt because thats how we learn from the world and change our ideas, cant have that and also develop npd which is opposite.
If you think a certain Mbti Type makes it not possible to develope a certain Personality Disorder, you should probably rethink your understanding of both Mbti Types & Personality Disorders...

And his cognition is totally ENFP. It's also why he is witty but not smart.

For the record I don't think Trump has NPD. People who say he does are mostly virtue-signalling and not very smart. But yeah, it's incongruent with what a feeler is supposed to be.
LOL okay then call me not smart and virtue-signalling whatever that means
Personally I think Trumps NPD is extremely obvious to anyone who actually knows how NPD looks like, I agree w/ LadyBlueShoes. I have been abused by Narcissists and had to study them, you can have your opinion but I would bet all my money he has it Im that sure... His case is so obvious you dont even have to see him in person to know

·
exploring space
9,698 Posts
If you think a certain Mbti Type makes it not possible to develope a certain Personality Disorder, you should probably rethink your understanding of both Mbti Types & Personality Disorders...
that's not an argument

And his cognition is totally ENFP. It's also why he is witty but not smart
Trump cares about the obvious, most frequent stimuli, what's bigger, shinier, right in front of his eyes, very interested in status, power and obvious displays of them. Very heavily S congition.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Im not interested in arguing with anyone, I'm just expressing my opinion...

What you express as "heavily S cognition" is actually signs of his Disorder. And its biased and a false identification of what S is. I'd advise you to look Jungs original describtions of the functions up.

Hope I don't sound rude btw!

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,368 Posts
Is NPD all bad? What is NPD anyway?

·
Registered
ENFJ
68 Posts
Is NPD all bad? What is NPD anyway?

I'd suggest searching for Dr. Ramani on youtube. There are a number of excellent videos of her explaining Narcissism.

I haven't read anything really about Muhammad Ali's personal life to make any kind of suggestion about him. He was an entertainer, but a narcissist would tend to truly believe their hype and live it in their personal life. A lot of boxers and wrestlers have a narcissistic persona, but that doesn't mean that's exactly who they are in real life.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,368 Posts
There is a virtue in believing in oneself, in being strong, in being a leader. Not a virtue is being ignorant and leading in the wrong direction at the same time.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,368 Posts
Joe Biden's speech is coming up. If advice is to be given in the name of unity (because Trump is going to be in office for 73 more days), I hope he praises Trump for putting up a good fight in spite of his losing the election.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,491 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again, he has ZERO Si. So he's NJ or SP by default.

He's always looking forward and still likes to think of himself as the same guy he was in 20's.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,368 Posts
Let's hope I'm wrong about this. Trump has said he's won the election. Never mind what he really knows. This is about power and Trump knows he is backed up by almost half the US population. I don't think there is any question Trump wants to continue. Think of what dictator's do. What would it take for Trump to say Biden is interfering with his role as current President? Would you put it past him to have Biden arrested for anti-government behavior? He could call it treason if Biden countered his current policies. That would make it difficult for Biden to be sworn in as the new President.

·
Registered
ISFP
480 Posts
What sp user would say people should inject themselves with disinfectant, and still refuse to wear a mask during a pandemic even though people around him in official settings have tested positive for Covid?
An so-blind one

He doesn't care about the general public and can't / refuses to read the room

There was also that one time he stared at the sun during an Eclipse, literally risking going blind when his wife had on eye protection from the start next to him.
Yeah ennea 8 will put on a "tough guy" image and with Fe and a 3 fix especially it's important to him that other people see him this way. Someone with soc would have more awareness of how absurd that stuff like this makes them look from a "leader of a community" standpoint

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
3,308 Posts
Yes NPD is all bad. They are scum of the earth
it depends on the nature of the disorder, and like most mental health conditions, how it's managed.

there's much debate about npd. of course, much of the information you'll find is from those in support groups of family and friends of such. most are quite negative, exhibiting symptoms of histronics or by their own term, full of fleas.

there is a prevalent but less than popular theory that the majority of npd cases are in fact acute anxiety with other comorbidities, most frequently complex ptsd and adjustment disorders. . . that clinical narcissism is an exaggerated response to external stressors, especially that of deep seated fear.

likewise, we could also suggest that the severe bias against Trump makes it virtually impossible to diagnose him or even speculate on his condition.

just as you view any with npd as bad and the scum of the earth, so do many believe so of trump. . . and in turn, most people are responding out of an all consuming fear as well.

As far as types go, it's likely we won't get a consensus because of favorable biases towards a specific type. someone will always defend that type... except for perhaps types that are rarely present online and least favorable reviews.

so, if looking for a scapegoat, then it will likely be one of the esxx types as both lacking a regular presence and tending to generate hostility or even celebrated vilification from other types. celebrated as they tend to be cited the most for unsympthetic fictional villains.

441 - 457 of 457 Posts