Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like watching series such as walking dead, 24, sopranos, breaking bad, or any other show like that. I'll watch a feature film no problem, and love watching feature films, but cannot dig the series shows.

I've tried to get into them but can't, and I won't be trying it again. Does anyone relate or feel similar? They just feel like a waste of time anyway, so i'm happy about it. But it does make me wonder.

Could the inability to watch these shows be because:

a) some people have a tendency to repel against following the herd - so if the herd watches a tv series, you don't?

or

b) an inability to hold an interest in something over an extended span of time?

or

c) just think they're lame :rolleyes:

or

d) an inability to 'get in' to the characters because I don't especially care about other people's emotions and cases one way or the other?

(I'm also, for the most part, hopeless at following films, I cannot keep track of the plot of characters or anything. Maybe it's for some of the reasons above also?)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I quite like watching TV series, I don't really get into the characters, but I think I "invest" in them to the point that I've decided I want the characters I want to succeed and those I don't like to fail.

But I think lots of people think it's fashionable to (as you put it) not follow the herd. I also think there is a large number of people with little to nothing for an attention span and plenty of people think specific TV series are lame because of the constructs within them. For instance, some people find Walking Dead is just too fantastic to buy into it, while others find Lost too hard to follow so they lose interest quickly. Although in the case of Lost, many people have trouble with it because of all the connections that you have to make and because it's so abstract.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Just got hooked on Breaking Bad two days ago (never watched it before). I am now on Season 2 Episode 6, lol.

I admit I do lose interest if a plot gets overly complicated with no real resolution (i.e. Heroes), but if it really provides pivotal and intellectual twists with frequent conclusion (i.e. Game of Thrones), I'm solid.

Best shows:
- Game of Thrones
- Breaking Bad
- X Files (duh)
- Wow I can't think of more atm... will have to go looking through lists now.

Edit: well there are more, but I'll just add this last one. I HIGHLY recommend for all INTPs. Best show on TV. It's called "The Bachelor"... wow just wow.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just got hooked on Breaking Bad two days ago (never watched it before). I am now on Season 2 Episode 6, lol.

I admit I do lose interest if a plot gets overly complicated with no real resolution (i.e. Heroes), but if it really provides pivotal and intellectual twists with frequent conclusion (i.e. Game of Thrones), I'm solid.

Best shows:
- Game of Thrones
- Breaking Bad
- X Files (duh)
- Wow I can't think of more atm... will have to go looking through lists now.
YES
Especially game of thrones the characters are so dynamic, I have read all the books so far, and waiting for Winds of Winter... Damn you GRRM why must you toy with us and make us wait forever.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
As far as I can tell, the only thing those shows have going for them is sex and violence.

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc. These shows got so BORING after the first season(or first few episodes for walking dead). It's just the same bull over and over again.

I admit I do lose interest if a plot gets overly complicated with no real resolution (i.e. Heroes),

Dude, Heroes was far from complicated. It just never got anywhere. They'd build up throughout the season and be completely incapable of delivering. Just like Lost.

I gave Heroes more of a chance than I gave Lost, though, because of super powers. If it weren't for that, I would have dropped Heroes after season 1 like I did with Lost.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
As far as I can tell, the only thing those shows have going for them is sex and violence.

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc. These shows got so BORING after the first season(or first few episodes for walking dead). It's just the same bull over and over again.

Dude, Heroes was far from complicated. It just never got anywhere. They'd build up throughout the season and be completely incapable of delivering. Just like Lost.

I gave Heroes more of a chance than I gave Lost, though, because of super powers. If it weren't for that, I would have dropped Heroes after season 1 like I did with Lost.
I'm still enjoying Breaking Bad a lot, but ya with Walking Dead I kind of agree. I may end up dropping it after this season but we'll see.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a bit like the difference between reading a fictional book or a book based around real events or conceptions or whatever.

I can't see the point in fiction. But I am presuming that people, by investing their time in interpreting fictional characters and events, can gain maybe as much as you could gain from a 'real' book which traverses the same themes?

Maybe I have some prejudice going on against fiction, even science fiction. I just prefer the most direct roads to the truth, and introducing fictional elements seems to muddle up the road signs. I guess it depends on the how individuals interpret and imbue meaning. Stories have always been known as an effective way to leverage a promulgation of truth, so fiction deserves it's place.

The last thing I liked with Kiefer Sutherland was flatliners, and that was a fair while ago.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I can't really get into TV shows. I try and try, but they just don't appeal to me.

The only show that I really got into was Dexter, and even then I wasn't really into it. I would wait until the season came out on DVD and just watch all the episodes at once, so there was never really any suspense or drama(well, there's lots of drama, but...).

I tried to watch Game of Thrones a couple months ago, again watching the first two seasons in two days, but aside from all the boobies and Peter Dinklage(one of the greatest actors ever in my opinion), nothing really caught my attention.

Other than catching a few episodes of something while watching TV, I don't really follow anything religiously. I have watched all episodes of Family Guy and Futurama, but that's simply because I enjoy that sort of humour greatly. And they don't really contain a storyline anyway, so it doesn't really count.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I don't like watching series such as walking dead, 24, sopranos, breaking bad, or any other show like that. I'll watch a feature film no problem, and love watching feature films, but cannot dig the series shows.

I've tried to get into them but can't, and I won't be trying it again. Does anyone relate or feel similar? They just feel like a waste of time anyway, so i'm happy about it. But it does make me wonder.

Could the inability to watch these shows be because:

a) some people have a tendency to repel against following the herd - so if the herd watches a tv series, you don't?

or

b) an inability to hold an interest in something over an extended span of time?

or

c) just think they're lame :rolleyes:

or

d) an inability to 'get in' to the characters because I don't especially care about other people's emotions and cases one way or the other?

(I'm also, for the most part, hopeless at following films, I cannot keep track of the plot of characters or anything. Maybe it's for some of the reasons above also?)
I do get into TV shows, but always by accident. I don't go looking for a new series to get hooked on.
Usually because when I watch too much TV I feel like that time could have been better used for something else.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I usually get bored unless I can save them up and watch them all at once.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can't stand the Walking Dead. I seriously don't understand the appeal, I swear it's a zombie soap opera. All I hear is "ermahgerd I think so and so is gonna die this week." Not only does everyone in my school talk about it constantly, my dad invites my uncle over and my whole family watches it too. This is incredibly annoying during the fall/winter months because I can't watch Sunday Night Football.

I'm much more of a movie person as well. But the only shows I'll watch if they're on is Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory, and even those get repetitive after a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts