Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here for a while, but I like the advice I get here. Basically, I don't know what to do with my life, after I left secondary school, I had this clear idea that I'd study the sciences, go to university and study medicine, but looking back on it now, I don't know whether I said that just to please others and conform to their ideals. So now I'm lost, I have no idea what I'm gonna do next. I don't know whether I should retake this year again, with the same subjects, or different ones; or if I should just quit it and find a job somewhere, maybe even make music a more serious priority, I dunno. I just need direction.

Reactions: Raain

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wondered if you were INFP when I saw the title of the thread ;)
Why don't you try talking to a careers adviser? They can probably help you identify strengths and passions and figure out some possible directions you could take.
Otherwise, I would spend some time asking myself what I want out of life. Working for a little while, while you do this, can be helpful because it gives you something to do (and helps pay the bills) while you're sorting things out.

Sorry I can't really offer more helpful advice than this... I too am going through this very same thing! I just want to have kids and raise a family! But since I must work, I want to find something that's right for me. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't really have advice for figuring out what to do with your life, but I have advice for learning to live with that unknowing. My high school music teacher told me that he didn't know where we was going to end up or what he was doing when he started, but he was in it for the ride. And he was one of the most beloved teachers in that place. He's currently off getting his PhD somewhere now, I believe.

It took me awhile to be okay with the fact that I don't know where I'm going. I can't prevent making mistakes or the "wrong" decisions. I just don't know enough - about lifestyles, about careers, about passions, about me.

But I'm studying something that will give me versatility, and pursuing whatever I will based on what I do know of myself in this moment. My major may be quite influenced by what my dad wanted, but that's okay. Maybe you don't need school; maybe you need a break, something to clear your head. I don't know; I don't know you.

I encourage you to consider this unknowing as less of a looming shadow and more of a discovery process.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should go help out those less fortunate than you for a while. It can be people starving, or just kids who might've lost a parent, or can't read well. Whatever. It'll help give you perspective.

One of the biggest things that motivates me is that I *know* there are millions of people who work harder than I do, or are smarter than I am, and more deserving than I am for the chances I have received in life already.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Umm, so I'm currently doing a media course, and I am enjoying it. Apparently I'm really good at it, but i dont see it taking me anywhere, I guess I could still keep it as a hobby :) But my mum suggested I do what she does, become a primary school teacher. I really enjoy kids, and I like the idea of becoming a role model to the future generations ^^
So for now, that's my goal. Things may change, but at least I have direction. So yeah, thanks for the support and guidance!

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Thanks guys! Umm, so I'm currently doing a media course, and I am enjoying it. Apparently I'm really good at it, but i dont see it taking me anywhere, I guess I could still keep it as a hobby :) But my mum suggested I do what she does, become a primary school teacher. I really enjoy kids, and I like the idea of becoming a role model to the future generations ^^
So for now, that's my goal. Things may change, but at least I have direction. So yeah, thanks for the support and guidance!
I'm always wary about suggesting teaching because it's not for everyone, but since you brought it up: I am studying to become an elementary educator, and I can't view any other job that would be more rewarding. I also plan on writing novels--so there isn't any reason why you can't teach and work on your music.

Just make sure it is something you want to do, and not just because of your mother.

Reactions: Bohemian

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm always wary about suggesting teaching because it's not for everyone, but since you brought it up: I am studying to become an elementary educator, and I can't view any other job that would be more rewarding. I also plan on writing novels--so there isn't any reason why you can't teach and work on your music.

Just make sure it is something you want to do, and not just because of your mother.
Aha, no, it's not just because of my mum. Sure, it's affected me somehow, because I know my way around it - I even help my mum with her work occasionally, the planning, and any creative endeavours. But yeah, it's something I can see myself doing, and like you said, it's very rewarding.

Reactions: Antipode

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Aha, no, it's not just because of my mum. Sure, it's affected me somehow, because I know my way around it - I even help my mum with her work occasionally, the planning, and any creative endeavours. But yeah, it's something I can see myself doing, and like you said, it's very rewarding.
Well I'm always glad to see another enthusiastic about learning and about teaching.

Reactions: Bohemian

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Also, if I may.

I wish I could just skip college and dive right into teaching because it drives me crazy every day doing boring stuff instead of something meaningful.

So, for the past years, I love finding various books on teaching, and if you like doing the same way, I'd like to suggest a few:

32 Third Graders and One class bunny by Phillip Done. This book is a very funny book about a teacher detailing life in the classroom for a whole year. It will make you sad (in emotions, not in pity) happy, and make you laugh out loud that you'd have to share the passage with a nearby person.

Boy Writers by Ralph fletcher. This book is about how to teach boys in particular how to write. It is very informative and should be used for any subject and I believe every teacher should read.

The First Day of School by Harry Wong. You will most likely be issued this book when you become a teacher or when you are in class in college. Either way, it is a great read and very iconic in the teaching business.

Finally, any book by Dr. James Dobson. This book is very optional. (Haha, well they all are). He doesn't teach about teaching (although he does talk about it) but he writes books on parenting and relationships. I personally believe they can be related in the classroom--and I think all people, with a family or not, should read his books. But, I say optional because he is a christian writer (his books came out in the 70's 80's) and he a very devout man of faith. So if you aren't I'm just giving you fair warning before you buy the book, but I personally think his books are fantastic.

EDIT: Also, I hate reading "info" books that are really boring, so the ones I posted actually have depth and emotion to them. And you can hear the writer the same way as with a novel. Just pointing that out haha.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, if I may.

I wish I could just skip college and dive right into teaching because it drives me crazy every day doing boring stuff instead of something meaningful.

So, for the past years, I love finding various books on teaching, and if you like doing the same way, I'd like to suggest a few:

32 Third Graders and One class bunny by Phillip Done. This book is a very funny book about a teacher detailing life in the classroom for a whole year. It will make you sad (in emotions, not in pity) happy, and make you laugh out loud that you'd have to share the passage with a nearby person.

Boy Writers by Ralph fletcher. This book is about how to teach boys in particular how to write. It is very informative and should be used for any subject and I believe every teacher should read.

The First Day of School by Harry Wong. You will most likely be issued this book when you become a teacher or when you are in class in college. Either way, it is a great read and very iconic in the teaching business.

Finally, any book by Dr. James Dobson. This book is very optional. (Haha, well they all are). He doesn't teach about teaching (although he does talk about it) but he writes books on parenting and relationships. I personally believe they can be related in the classroom--and I think all people, with a family or not, should read his books. But, I say optional because he is a christian writer (his books came out in the 70's 80's) and he a very devout man of faith. So if you aren't I'm just giving you fair warning before you buy the book, but I personally think his books are fantastic.

EDIT: Also, I hate reading "info" books that are really boring, so the ones I posted actually have depth and emotion to them. And you can hear the writer the same way as with a novel. Just pointing that out haha.
Thanks! I'll have a look at those. It seems interesting to learn about these things and experiences through others eyes, in a way that can be read like a novel. Informational books tend to bore me too.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Very little I can offer here aside from seeking as many shadowing opportunities as possible, 'interviewing' people informally about their jobs or motivations and not being afraid to try something and say "I enjoyed the journey but its not compatible with my heart and mind".

This last one I had to learn 2/3 into a degree, when its clear having qualifications makes getting more 'easier' but becomes very expensive, when its quite clear that psychology and anything to do with education (at least, with many others things) suits many career paths such as mentoring, youth work, support services, working with people experiencing learning challenges, educational guidance, skills advancement coaching.

The list is endless but you won't know until you volunteer or observe others, especially when up to 60% is paper work or issue reporting of any student difficulties or teaching behaviours as a 'second parent'... many jobs seem ideal on the surface, teaching for example may involve 8am-5/9pm workloads with marking and lesson plans (I even know of an elementary teacher who resigned, growing tired of paper trails and telling parents their children are 'average') etc.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I'm glad you found out what you want to do!
I'm currently studying film (like media) and enjoy it but, like you, see it leading nowhere. (I'm currently thinking of quitting and doing something else).

Being a teacher is really good and useful (you can move country with that qualification) and you help people a lot. My mum is also a teacher and warned me off the idea because of the low pay and long hours, but I think if you enjoy children and teaching and helping it's a great job with loads of opportunities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts