Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just listening to the cover of Big Yellow Taxi by Counting Crows, and it got me thinking about my life so far and things I've learned along the road. As the lyrics say, "you don't know what you got til it's gone" and i've realized that there have been many instances where this saying could be applied. Have any of you intps had any experiences where you didn't realize what you had until it was gone?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Oh wow, we have different music tastes... I was listening to We are Happy Landfill by Gorillaz.

Thats a good song too.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Is this really an INTP specific question? I'm sure everyone's gone through that at some point.

Anyway, I guess I kind of missed out on childhood a bit. I grew out of playground games before my other friends, and I always wanted to be older so I could do more. I started writing stories at a really young age and I was really hard on myself about not being good and the fact that I had never finished anything decent. I think pretty far ahead of myself, so I do miss out on being a teenager too. I try to look at it positively. A lot of people my age waste their time trying to fit in and look cool, doing things - or people - that could completely ruin their future. Maybe I'll be more prepared for adult life.

That, or I'll spend my young adult years hating myself because I'm not some high-flying, high-powered, high-earning CEO of a worldwide company.

If I get there, I'll hate myself because it's not universe-wide.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
That was Joni Mitchell's song originally, and her version is much better.

In my opinion I would have to say that INTPs tend to be worriers and think of how their actions will affect the future, so I think we do notice what we have at the present moment. I can definitely relate to the words of Joni's song though, about how people are so greedy and near-sighted that they are destroying the environment!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
real friends are something i really admire and miss having. i absolutely hate the type that will be friends for other reason other than the relationship. its just most people today dont know who they are and are completely lost.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I think this is another way to note how INTPs tend to take things for granted, like love and friendship. This seems to be an extension of how INTPs don't feel the need to fill every moment of available time with words. If you have friends/ a partner that are low maintenance, this is a non-issue, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Tell me about it. My brothers are cool with me being quiet (I think) well they never mention it anyway. My girlfriend I think she thinks I'm either grumpy or unloving if I don't tak for more than 10 minutes. It can be exhausting sometimes. I do understand that I take my family especially for granted. Or do I? I've been around them all my life and I think its time I lived away from them for a while. I think it would do me good, then maybe I'l realise the words in that song.

Maybe. :wink:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I never experience things as they are happening, but rather after the fact when I can sit alone and mull over the information that I was gathering during the experience. I often don't express things that I should in the moment, but later on, after I have reflected a bit and pieced them all together. I have had experiences with other INTPs who do this, and I know how I must make people feel at times - unwanted and alone, in the moment.. like I am only physically there. :/

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yep. When my puta had to go to the menders for a whole week.:laughing: It's only just got back.
Seriously, though, there are times that I brood about missed opportunities and lifestyle changes that were out of my control. I brood, I may cry a little, I move on. I really should take matters into my own hands more often.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts