Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't resist making a thread. Love this author. :happy:
What do you all think about Dostoevsky & his characters' types?

Crime and Punishment:
Raskolnikov: INTJ
Sonya: ISFJ
Porfiry: XNXJ? XD

The Brothers Karamazov:
Fyodor Pavlovich: ESTP
Dmitri: ESFP
Ivan: INTJ
Alexei: INFX
Smerdyakov: INTP
Father Zosima: XNFJ

I'd love to know what you think about his other books/ characters!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Finally a thread about one of my favourite writers and his characters :)

Let's start with Dostoevsky type: INFP. Some popular MBTI sites type him as an INFJ, but it is surely wrong. Dostoevsky is an personification of Fi-Ne type in Socionics, which is - in my opinion - much more accurate than MBTI (Socionics - the16types.info - EII - INFj Note: in socionics J - P always apply to the first function, no matter if it's extroverted or introverted function, hence MBTI INFP - Fi Ne - is INFj in socionics.
Dostoevsky whole life was a great example of intoverted feeling paired with powerfull Ne imagination person. If you will read his biography you will see, that he was first and foremost motivated by emotional, personal issues, not by any long-rage Ni vision. His Ne was a great use in his process of building complex fictional characters.

Now his characters:

Crime and Punishment:

Raskolnikov: classic INTJ in the Ni Fi loop. He actually didn't have a great (healthy) use of his auxiliary function, but his obsessive and compulsive thinking process was an evident use of Ni + Fi.

Sonya: honestly I don't remember her as much as Raskolnikov (I read this book more than 10 years ago), but as much as I remember she could be either ISFJ or an healer type (xNFx).

Notes from Underground

Main character (underground man) - INTJ/P ? deep, dark philosopher, revealing the secrets of a human nature from his subjective perspective.

Demons

Unfortunately I don't really remember details of this one. The book itself was an example of the dark side of Dostoyevskys Fi. He basically made ​​fun of his adversaries throughout the book.

The Idiot
(my favourite)

Myshkin - INFJ. The character was based of an Messiah archetype, which is closest to the INFJ type (for example Jesus Christ may be considered as an INFJ).

Aglaya Yepanchin - INFP. Deeply idealistic, kind and sincere person, yet unable to express her feelings in the real world. Sometimes she behaved like an ISTJ, but this was probably because of her aristocratic surroundings.

Anastassya Filippovna - ENFP or ESFP. More likely N. Althought I might be biased, cause she totally reminds me one ENFP I know. Anyway, she's a bit crazy (or even mad), forever changing, energetic, femme-fatale archetype, but at the same time has her deep feelings and even interior moral system. Struggle between her "expansive" nature and her morals is what made her tragic and such an interesting character.

Rogozhin - ExxP would be obvious. Too obvious in my opinion. Actually, as far as I remember him, I would type his as an very (very) f'k up INTJ, in an inferior grip, Ni Fi loop and god knows what else. In something like a shadow mode.
Firstly, he was in a state of permanent binge, but it wasn't really enjoyable for him. All his excesses resembled me inferior Se.
Secondly, he was an creepy-gloomy-dark character; even his death stare was significant; almost all his traits were opposed to Myshkin's goodness. Like an Devil in contrast to Angel. Yet, they both has some unique vision and perception different than most people and are somehow bound together.
Thirdly I sense Ni from him. Just to remind how obsessively he was attached to one object (Nastasya).

The Brothers Karamazov:

I'm gonna reread it soon; will post impressions later.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@wolf12345 Totally agreed on Crime and Punishment :)

I'm actually rereading the Brothers Karamazov now and am having second thoughts about some of my typings… Have to think it out.

Edit: Alexei- INFJ
Porfiry- XNFJ, he uses Fe

Hmm, I want to stake a claim on Dostoevsky being INFJ, so I'm going to have to come up with some very good reasons for why he is Fe and not Fi… More coming soon!

Edit:
1. At least a third of his characters seem to be INFJs (this isn't actually why I think he's one too, but I thought it was worth mentioning :p)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Kirillov - INTP
Underground man - INTP
Starez Sosima - INFJ
Alexei - IXFJ
Stavrogin - INXJ
Raskolnikov - INTJ
Prince Myshkin - INFJ
Porfiry - XNFJ
Sonja - ISFJ
Dostoevksy - INFJ

I wonder what type Svidrigalov is.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Almost finished The Idiot.

Prince Myshkin - INFX
Aglaya - INTX
Lizaweta Prokofjewna - ESXJ
Nastasha Fillipowna - ESFP
Rogozjin - ESTP
Lebedev - XNTP?
Ganya - ESTJ?
Ippolit - INTJ?

I do think Dostoevsky was an INFJ, all of his novels are a bit like soap operas. All revolve around scandals, on what is appropriate and not appropriate. I don't find his novels to be all that imaginative.

I'm also an EII in socionics, which has to do with being aware of how people interact with eachother and having a keen insight into psychological atmospheres, I think.

Perhaps Dostoevsky was an INFJ in MBTI and an INFj in socionics? It seems as if he was a Fe Fi user, if such a thing exists.

Here are my guesses on the characters of The Brothers Karamazov, I found them a lot easier to type than the characters of The Idiot:

http://personalitycafe.com/guess-type/94897-brothers-karamazov-dostoyevski.html

Reactions: iNdependent

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost finished The Idiot.
I do think Dostoevsky was an INFJ, all of his novels are a bit like soap operas. All revolve around scandals, on what is appropriate and not appropriate.
Perhaps Dostoevsky was an INFJ in MBTI and an INFj in socionics? It seems as if he was a Fe Fi user, if such a thing exists.
Haha, that's kind of true. XD
I'm really not sure to what extent Dostoevsky used Fe or Fi; I think of him as an INFJ more because I can see Ni throughout his work, and from what I know of his life, he didn't necessarily seem like a Te user?
Just out of curiosity, why do you think Alexei is INFP?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Haha, that's kind of true. XD
I'm really not sure to what extent Dostoevsky used Fe or Fi; I think of him as an INFJ more because I can see Ni throughout his work, and from what I know of his life, he didn't necessarily seem like a Te user?
Just out of curiosity, why do you think Alexei is INFP?
Alexei is easygoing, calm, serene, modest. I think he clearly embodies the Healer archetype, rather than the Counselor. He offers mostly a listening ear, absorbing other peoples stories, not giving any advice, handing out judgments or guiding them in any way. He is quite passive rather than active and seems very adaptable. Treating kids as equals might be an INFP thing as well, since INFPs have this childlike innocence about them.

Keirsey said:
Healers present a calm and serene face to the world, and can seem shy, even distant around others. But inside they're anything but serene, having a capacity for personal caring rarely found in the other types. Healers care deeply about the inner life of a few special persons, or about a favorite cause in the world at large. And their great passion is to heal the conflicts that trouble individuals, or that divide groups, and thus to bring wholeness, or health, to themselves, their loved ones, and their community.
Prince Myshkin is more difficult for me to say whether he is INFP or INFJ. He has these Ni visions, leading up to a climax in which he eventually has an epileptic seizure, but also has trouble with Fe, since he doesn't follow any societal conventions and isn't aware of what is appropriate and what not. Myshkin seems to be a type 4 rather than a type 9, while Alexei is clearly a type 9w1.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think Dostoyevski wasn't very consecvent with the character of Myshkin. He starts as INFJ so that's why people type him as such, but for most of the novel he's a clear-cut
INFP:
+ very shy in group settings and blushes quickly,
+can express complex ideas but thinks he's not actually good at doing so,
+is hard on himself for making mistakes other people don't care about,
+sees the situation from the other person's perspective
+gets conflicted emotions -he both feels pity for Nastasya and loves her in a romantic way but he's not sure which is which etc., this eventually builds up in the novel
+doesn't understands social conventions that well,
+feels out of place,
+expects the good out of people not because he's sincerely that optimistic but because he has these ideals of always looking for good in people that he wants to live up to,
Also, his sudden rhetoric can be just as much INFP as INFJ.

Overall, seems more like an INFP even tough his character isn't presented as such from the start.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Am reading The Idiot now. Haven't thought about type; that's interesting!

Crime and Punishment:
Sonya: ISFJ
Razumikhin: I want to say ENXP.
Porfiry: INFJ probably.

The Brothers Karamazov:
Fyodor Pavlovich: ESTP
Dmitri: ESFP
Ivan: INTJ
Alexei: INFsomething.
Smerdyakov: INTP
Father Zosima: XNFJ

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Dimitri Karamazov : ESFP
Ivan: INTX
Alexei: ISFJ?
Smerdyakov : INTP
Nikolai Vsevolodovich Stavrogin: I used to think INTJ, but his Te is not that strong and he's too impulsive and chaotic. Maybe ISFP or ISTP?
Pyotr Stepanovich Verkhovensky: I think he's ENTJ ,but the fact that he's so manipulative makes me suspect Fe.
Kirillov: INTP

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Alexei is easygoing, calm, serene, modest. I think he clearly embodies the Healer archetype, rather than the Counselor. He offers mostly a listening ear, absorbing other peoples stories, not giving any advice, handing out judgments or guiding them in any way. He is quite passive rather than active and seems very adaptable. Treating kids as equals might be an INFP thing as well, since INFPs have this childlike innocence about them.

Prince Myshkin is more difficult for me to say whether he is INFP or INFJ. He has these Ni visions, leading up to a climax in which he eventually has an epileptic seizure, but also has trouble with Fe, since he doesn't follow any societal conventions and isn't aware of what is appropriate and what not. Myshkin seems to be a type 4 rather than a type 9, while Alexei is clearly a type 9w1.

Please let me know what you think.
Counselors learn by listening. That is what they do. They don't put others into action, they observe first. They do not champion others. They are not on the journey with you.

That is what Alexi was doing. Learning. Testing his faith. Dostoevsky has been called a psychologist. He is like Jung in fiction.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Raskolnikov is definitely an INTJ.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Who else has read Demons? Do you agree that Stavrogin seems like a strong Se user? (ISFP)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
So I read Crime and Punishment, and I think the following:

Raskolnikov - INTJ
Razumhikin - ENFP
Porfiry - XNFJ
Sonya - ISFJ
Dunya - INTP?
Svidrigailov - ESTP?
Luzhin - Te dominant?

The Brothers Karamazov was his best work I think. I really wonder what the sequel to the book would be like, in which he intended to further focus on Alexei. Too bad we'll never know.

Reactions: iNdependent

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Who else has read "Demons"? Do you agree that Stavrogin seems like a strong Se user? (ISFP)
Didn't we discuss this a while ago and we agreed him to be INTJ?

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Ooh, I'm glad there's a topic for this. I'll be reading Crime and Punishment at the end of the semester and naturally I'll be curious about people's opinions on character typings :)

I'll come back once I've actually read it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Didn't we discuss this a while ago and we agreed him to be INTJ?
Yes, but now that I think about it, I don't see him having dominant Ni , he's too impulsive, then of course I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes, but now that I think about it, I don't see him having dominant Ni , he's too impulsive, then of course I could be wrong.
Impulsive? Why do you say that? Because it is stated that he could kill a person while being fully aware of the consequences?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Impulsive? Why do you say that? Because it is stated that he could kill a person while being fully aware of the consequences?
Well, he slept with Liza and then regretted it. He didn't seem like the kind of guy who has a plan and I don't think he was sure about his ideas or what he was doing . Think about how he was talking about moving to another country but he suddenly abandoned this plan and ended up killing himself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts