Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know that I already posted this in the "What's my Type?" section, but I felt that this was a more appropriate section and I do not know how to delete my initial thread. Oops]

I'm not here for someone to guess my type. Rather, I want to hear some feedback from people who have confidently and knowledgeably decided a type for themselves.

I'm new to personality types; the first time I ever even took a MBTI test was about 3-4 months ago. When I first took it I scored as an INTP, which caused a huge "WTF" moment because I do NOT identify with INTP (for the most part - to be honest I think I can relate to all of the types a little bit). So I took a few different tests (pretty much all of the free ones I was able to find on Google) and I was almost consistently receiving INTP (sometimes INTJ). After that, I pretty much gave up on using these online tests as a tool in deciphering what my type could be. I started reading more thoroughly about the descriptions of types and their corresponding functions... but like I mentioned previously, I felt that I could relate to all of the types in some way. (Has anyone else ever felt this way?) I would think that this is a relatively normal thing to feel... we ALL use all of the cognitive functions, just in different levels. And it is no secret that expectations can influence experience.

So how the fuck am I supposed to determine what my type is?

I began turning to forums and discussion boards like these. Reading and listening to other people's experiences concerning their types was a HUGE help in deciding mine (or at least giving me some direction). INFJ is the type I can identify with the most, ESPECIALLY the Ni and Fe functions. I was also able to relate to so many INFJ's experiences. So I say, tentatively, that I am an INFJ.

But how can one really be so sure? I feel like we are constantly changing and evolving, learning when and how to use our cognitive functions, building upon our weaker ones and taming our stronger.... how are we supposed to determine what our type is and use it beneficially in our lives? Is it more transient than we think? WHAT??????

Evidently, this has become a [slightly] frustrating obsession of mine (mostly because it is the summertime and I am growing impatient of this responsibility-free lifestyle) and I was just wondering if anyone could relate to these thoughts/have some words of wisdom/etc.

Thanks and love.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I question my type regularly but it always ends in the same thought that:
If the MBTI thing is not garbage and If my ideas about the functions and stuff are not faulty then there is no other type that I am but ISTP.

I think it really does make me happier to use what I call Ti, Se, Ni and Fe. Well Ti, Se mostly.. Fe not really, Ni makes me happy but it screws me up.

Of course what I think Ni, Fi etc mean might not really be what those psychologist people meant by them... I suppose it is possible that there is no such thing as 'the personality type ISTP' or that I am another type like an N or F type but I suppose until I get any contradicting info from real life or the web that can't be explained away, I'm considering myself ISTP.

And I find I really do prefer what I call Se or Ti things or maybe I just don't practise the other functions enough...

I guess maybe take advice from others of your types or advice for your type (but always take them with a pinch of salt;)) and if it doesn't work you can always reevaluate the situation? And maybe the way to lessen the doubts is to get more info either through real life or reading more stuff?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
When I started out I tried to type everyone I knew, because it was fun. I could easily put some people as e.g. strong thinkers helping me understand the concept of thinking and what makes them thinkers. Then I fully typed said people and was wrong sometimes but it only helped me further my knowledge. In the end I had good labels for every "letter". This was before I knew of functions, which I personally find overrated anyways.

Because it's often times easier to type other people (family, friends) I reckon that's a good start. It's a good thing to learn by contrast instead of trying to choose between 2 things which you identify with. I believe that the MBTI isn't very good in structure, in effect things doesn't always add up (functions). Chunk it down with 1 letter or function at a time - that you identify much with.

Doubting is fine, everyone does. It's healthy anyways. ;) And the tests are just for fun, not very valuable!

·
Banned
818 Posts
I started out as an INTP on an official test, since I'd been sitting home studying and no one told me to look at who I am, not what I'd been doing for quite a while.

Next came the realization that I'm an Extrovert, and that being able to easily use it with the environment as well as people had me thinking Introvert at first. Once I understood I'm more outward than inward facing, this one was easy.

Next came trying on ENTP then ESTP - I kept the T since I frequently use logic in my daily life.

Once I realized logic was within, not superior to, my using of F to set up my life as a whole, and realizing I'm way more careful of people's feelings than T's, I switched to F and that felt more like me, though I still use logic when working out many issues.

So then I was ESFP for a while, since I do frequently use Extroverted Sensing.

Then through searching the Internet more widely, and coming across the comment that ENFPs, more than other types, can be very different from each other, I realized I'm ENFP (or enfP), and that feels more right than any of the others I tried on.

I would have come to ENFP much sooner in the process but I knew two ENFPs whose personalities seemed much different than mine, so I ruled it out. It turns out I'm Enneagram 7 and the other two are Enneagram 9 and 2, so we manifest quite differently, though underneath we do have much in common with how we view the world.

I'd say look at who you are at heart rather than what you've been doing. Don't rule anything out while reading as much as you can find on the Internet and in books, especially hints throughout Gifts Differing, for example on page 86 when she compares TJ's to FJ's in the middle of Extroverted Thinking Types, where you wouldn't expect FJ. Keep open to having a wrong understanding of the preferences and how they manifest, such as T and F - that would have shortened my search. Watch your mind to see how you think, and if it's more important to you that you focus on the past, present or future. I also read about Socionics IEE and that helped, but it seems Socionics is only of help with Myers-Briggs if someone is an Extrovert. Also, look at types in various ways - through preferences, functions, temperament (Keirsey's NF, NT, SJ and SP, or even different ways such as ST, SF, NP, NJ), and the 16 descriptions.

I had a feeling of coming home for the first time, and that I finally identified strongly with people of a certain type, when I realized I'm ENFP.

I was also frustrated, as well as interested, while I did my searching, since I seemed able to type almost everyone but myself. It was worth it, though, when I finally sorted it out. :happy:

·
Registered
737 Posts
[DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know that I already posted this in the "What's my Type?" section, but I felt that this was a more appropriate section and I do not know how to delete my initial thread. Oops]

I'm not here for someone to guess my type. Rather, I want to hear some feedback from people who have confidently and knowledgeably decided a type for themselves.

I'm new to personality types; the first time I ever even took a MBTI test was about 3-4 months ago. When I first took it I scored as an INTP, which caused a huge "WTF" moment because I do NOT identify with INTP (for the most part - to be honest I think I can relate to all of the types a little bit). So I took a few different tests (pretty much all of the free ones I was able to find on Google) and I was almost consistently receiving INTP (sometimes INTJ). After that, I pretty much gave up on using these online tests as a tool in deciphering what my type could be. I started reading more thoroughly about the descriptions of types and their corresponding functions... but like I mentioned previously, I felt that I could relate to all of the types in some way. (Has anyone else ever felt this way?) I would think that this is a relatively normal thing to feel... we ALL use all of the cognitive functions, just in different levels. And it is no secret that expectations can influence experience.

So how the fuck am I supposed to determine what my type is?
I share your frustration. I, too, tested a smorgasbord of types on those 'free' MBTI tests (and for the sake of clarity I won't name them). My understanding of the MBTI and cognitive at the time was so limited ans stereotypical. But as I went through counseling (and thus actual self-examination) and my final year in my undergraduate studies, I began to better understand the MBTI, cognitive processes and temperaments.

First, I understood that my Ni and Ti had developed well through the years. As a tutor, I would, first, analyze what it is I was tutoring and then break it down so that everyone could understand the fundamentals of, say, how the endocrine system worked or how we 'defend' ourselves with psychological defense mechanisms. I would also analyze and then explain how the endocrine system or psychological defense mechanisms were relevant in the whole context of the human organism. As I worked on my PowerPoints, flowcharts and notes, I would anticipate others reactions and questions (I suppose here I used Te alongside Ni and Ti, but I found that cognitive process difficult). But I could be quite a showman if I wanted to be! I remember once suggesting that the best way to remember a specific enzyme was to remember Pacman! Everyone laughed and thought it was silly, but those same students came back and said that example helped them on their exams.

Second, relationships taught me a lot. As I began to 'open up' more, I found that I engaged in Fe. I wanted to 'connect' with others, and I self-disclosed more than I thought I did so that I could form that temporary 'connection' with someone (and when I say 'connection' I don't mean it in a profound, metaphysical sense). The 'social graces', which inwardly I scorned for the longest time, appeared frequently in my interactions. And I was scared because I vaguely understood that I would have trouble distinguishing my feelings from others. This turned out to be true, and I have to be careful about it. Armed with Se that allowed me to be in the moment, I was able to discern what might be going on within someone else.

Third, I developed Se in my free-time. I exercised without a purpose in my mind other than to feel the sensation. I indulged myself in alcohol and cigarettes because it felt fun and pleasurable. I blew off studying to go out and do something fun. I would flirt and ask out other women (odd for such an introvert like myself at first!) to the point that my friends gave me a nick-name alluding to my particular preference in women. It was fun! And I understood in that moment I secretly craved to be spontaneous but was often feared that I would get in too deep (because I was aware I could be addictive) or what others thought of me until I said, "Well, fuck it. I'm doing it anyway." It was linked to a fear of losing control of myself and being vulnerable.

So, I reasonably assume that I'm an INFJ because these are the cognitive processes I tend to use the most.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I begin studying type in 2000. I initially thought that I was INTJ based on Keirsey’s Sorter. It did not take long posting on Yahoo Groups with other INTJs to know that I was wrong. I then thought that I was INFJ for about a year, posting with other INFJs as well on Yahoo Groups. I realized that Keirsey’s work was too general to help me understand my type, so I began to read books on the subject. The more I read the more confused I became about type. I was attempting to make the four-letter codes do what they are incapable of doing and that is being made applicable in everyday situations. Like most, I would question whether I was E/I because a noticeable change in my behavior, T/F. For sure I knew what I was not INFP and I believed that I was too big picture oriented to be any sort of sensing type. I continued to study, take test and become more confused.

I decided in 2001 to have the MBTI Step II administered to me, which resulted in INTP. I had never looked at INTP and was unsure what the description was about. I began hanging out at Yahoo Groups as an INTP and had no question (how can I doubt the professionals right?) that was my type. By 2003, I was a full-blown INTP. I read Paul James’ description and thought that it is just totally me and the following year 2004, people were switching over to forums, so I joined INTPC, ENTP, and all of the forums that were popping up during that period. Like most my posts were laced with a need for confirmation that I was INTP, with questions such as how many INTPs do this, is that behavior an INTP behavior. I then became bold enough to assume that if you did not do certain things or behave in a certain way, then you were most likely not INTP. This went on for about two years, but I still had my doubts on occasion believing that I may be ENTP. All along I was still reading about type, taking test and becoming not only confused but significantly annoyed.

By my fifth year, I had read Keirsey, the Tigers, Otto Kroeger “Gifts Differeing” and even Lenore Thomson’s “Personality Type: An Owner’s Manual”. Yet I was still confused because I begin to notice there were certain qualities in NTPs that did not fit me and violated my core values. For example most INTPs claimed they would be willing to obtain a degree for it’s own sake. I could never do that. I was too practical, and anything that I learned had to be made applicable. The differences became so obvious to me that I declared myself ENTP for a period. I was completely frustrated with the conflicts and ambiguousness of Myers-Briggs work, so I started reading and studying what most considered taboo, Jung’s actual work. It was something that I found arduous to decipher, but I was now understanding beyond the type codes and seeing the make-up of a type. I was also able to discern that I was Ti dominant, so had to rethink being INTP. I was getting there with understanding type and could never use codes again. I had also taken a test that was not type related. It was a Psychological Analysis by my birth chart, created by Liz Greene that rendered a comprehensive description of me. What was interesting is that it said I was ISTP. I knew what an ISTP was, but I knew that I could not be one since I was not mechanically inclined. This led me to start being more concise with my definitions and words used, because once I began reading over the material I covered, I saw it in a different light.

I was in full trust of the cognitive functions and found those at Lifexplore very helpful to use in everyday explanations. I purchased my first booklets by Linda V. Berens, “Dynamics of Personality Type: Understanding and Applying Jung's Cognitive Processes” and “The 16 Personality Types: Descriptions for Self-Discovery” in 2006. While combing through the more comprehensive definitions of how certain cognitive functions work according to Berens and Nardi, I read the Ne, but then I read the Se description and how it worked in real life and “Woolah” it fit me in every way feasible. To confirm I read Jung’s definition on Se as well and confirmed that I used that function with Ti. By now I was not sure what type I was, but knew what I was not. Like most starting out I was using my subjective connotations in attempting to make type fit. I was still limited in my understanding of type functions interacted with one another in a particular type. By the end of 2006 I also begin reading Berens-Nardi’s work on interaction styles. I struggled with whether I preferred “In Charge” or “Chart the Course” I had to take a very objective and honest self analysis and was able to conclude that I had never been any sort of intuiting type.

To conclude this lengthy post, things started fitting together of how type works overall, the fluidity in functions, the understanding that we do develop at least four functions that consist of all four functions (T/F/S/N). Not only was I getting a full understanding of personality type, I had also concluded my best-fit type. I now knew that I preferred SP-NT as my primary and secondary temperaments, and realized by secondary interaction styles. Well dub, I could only be one type based on my findings SP+ “Chart the Course” interaction = ISTP my best-fit type. There is no 100% accuracy in knowing our type, which is why even the Myers-Briggs Foundation has begin using Berens’ language of “best-fit”. I am probably 90% sure I am ISTP. There will always be additional information that I am still unaware of that could lead me to change those results. But for now I realize that descriptions cannot define me since they’re written in third person by someone who has a 1/16 chance of being my type, therefore has written their descriptions based on cannibalizing other descriptions and lace with stereotypes. There are good descriptions out there, but the best person to write a description of a type is someone who is that type. The Analyzer/Operator is the only description I trust since it was authored by other ISTPs who had their types confirmed in a controlled setting. I also have learned by understanding the cognitive-attitude functions that we can’t begin to fit the vast personalities into just 16 types. Jung says he would start at 256 and go higher which is why he only wrote his type descriptions using the dominant function. I have gone through every feasible means of confirming my best fit type and they point to ISTP. But again that takes honesty toward the self, getting past the stereotypes and connotations. Anymore I test and read descriptions for amusement, but have no doubt of my type. In fact the moment I see key words such as mechanical, skiing, risky sports, etc I stop reading the descriptions because they’re laced with stereotypes and the result of someone’s piece-meal of cannibalizing other descriptions. I have no doubt that I am ISTP based on knowing I dominate with Ti (which means I can only be ITP), knowing my temperament (SP over NT), and knowing my interaction style (Chart the Course over Behind the Scenes). Sorry for such a long post, but I hope it helps.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
I'd just like to point out the type theory is about preference its not absolute and your type can fluctuate, however your preference is your type at the core and can't be changed, it is what comes naturally to you. All functions are used at some point and we are all types at some point but it is preferences of cognition that determine your type, most likely since birth. The world and situations we find ourselves in can demand us to act a certain way and force as to use functions that aren't easy to use, we can also learn to use these functions more reliably with teaching or under duress as well as suppressing natural functions if perceived as undesirable. Type is based around the theory that we use certain cognitive functions more naturally and proficiently than other functions and in a normal everyday environment they would show up as being preferred. Don't worry to much about what type you are, just try to narrow it down to a couple and go from there, see what functions you would feel more comfortable in using, maybe experiment. It really is a choice, you just need to strip back some of the learned ways and understand what you are naturally drawn to. I believe its ok to be borderline types although I feel there is probably a very slight preference to one over the other innately, INFJ/INFP for example. Don't worry about pinning yourself down just find out how you really are and use type as a way to understand more about yourself, its not an exam its a journey, liberating not pigeonholing. You are still who you are regardless of type, so just be yourself and enjoy finding out why you are unique and strive for happiness. :cool:

·
Banned
818 Posts
I should add that I spent many years staying inside much of the time and when I went out, it was so special that I started seriously doing Se for enjoyment and to make sure I didn't miss anything. Because my S had been strong to begin with, it was easy to conclude that my type must be Se dominant, since the function was so important to me. Since I used N during much of my then-boring life, I didn't value it as much and thought what I craved must be me.

Sometimes it's not easy sorting out who you are when your life has pushed you in directions you wouldn't have normally taken - it can pull other functions out and make them stronger, just to survive. For an Ne, I'm very presented oriented from my experience in the area for many years. One thing that helped me see I'm N is that I had an ESTP/ESFP boyfriend for a couple years and it was just too much Se on a regular basis. When I first met my husband, I grabbed hold of his INTJ N and spent months constantly talking weird and otherwise ideas, and was so grateful to finally have someone interested.

Linda Berens helped me, also, since before I even came across her ideas, one day I said, "I really like getting things going when I'm in a group.' Another clue I ignored for quite a while. :laughing:

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
People are more complex than their MBTI type; you may not fit exactly, and that's a good thing.

Also, SuperunknownVortex:

Once it is seen it cannot be unseen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting that more of you had to search for your type as well. I found that with whenever I take an MBTI test, the outcome is determined by my mood or what is relevant for my day or the circumstances I'm in. For example, sometimes I test INFJ, I've tested INTJ, ENTJ and ENTP even. In every case the Intuitive was moderate to distinct, whereas the others were primarily "slight" and sometimes "moderate".

Honestly, I don't really completely trust the testing methods. Then again, do I attach enough value to it to really care to spend more time on accurately determining my MB type? No. For my character it makes no difference, extrovert or introvert, thinking or feeling, perceiving or judging. Intuition is my dominant character trait and a close friends has even called it "noesis" but sensing really isn't my thing. At all!

Often there is a tendency for my to reinvent myself, as I deem best fits a situation according to my insights, at some times tradition has my preference, other times I smash the paradigm coz I had enough. That may make me complex in the sight of others, yet I don't complicated matters for myself.

There are no significant troubles with life besides the usual life issues one might expect. I could be emotional about it or rational but often I try to view things in their own perspective, and it works. No negative, no positive, it just is as it is. We learn as we go about the tests and challenges in our lives and I too try to apply myself in every imaginable way I can think or feel of.

As for those who really struggle with identifying their MB type, hopefully you sort yourselves out.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I've been using personality typing as a way to personal growth. It's been especially powerful because I lost track of who I was for a while, and even when I was living according to my type, it was in a more unconscious manner. For the last few years I've had to strengthen other functions, which has made it especially hard to discover who I am, though not to live with - it feels seamless, even when other people are confused.

Myers-Briggs has been the most difficult. With other typing methods, I spotted myself within a relatively short period of time, including Enneagrams, Carol Tuttle Energy Typing, Helen Fisher, Howard Gardner, and many other methodologies. For many of them, the clarity I've found with regard to myself as been very grounding, so it's been worth the research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts