Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to be an extrovert and hate talking and most all conversations which require participation (regardless of what they're about)? Generally the only reason I like to be around people isn't because I want to talk to them or have conversations (whether meaningful or not), it's because I want to figure them out (categorize them, if possible) and do exciting/new things or go to exciting places with them. Could never really relate to other ENTPs in wanting to share ideas, I generally just think and attempt to solve puzzles in my head on my own but look for others to distract myself from them and kind of enter into the real world again. So when I'm on a quest to figure something out, I need and want no one. When I'm tired of this and want to experience the world, I want as many people as I can find (but even then, I don't really care much for talking about myself of my ideas (participating in any way), I just get energy from trying to figure them out/being in a new environment/observing new surroundings).
Would this still count as being extroverted?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l wouldn't say l'm drained by all conversation, but l don't know how much l actually get from sharing ideas and definitely not from small talk.

lf l have an idea l really want feedback on, it's probably something l've thought about a lot first which means it's probably Ti'd to the extent that most people wouldn't even have any interest, which is probably why l end up taking so many of my ''real'' thoughts to the internet :laughing:

ln general though, l feel l benefit from the atmosphere of people even though l share about 40-50% of my thoughts.

l just immediately feel like l have something to feed off of either in a small group or just walking around the city.

Maybe the feeling of something happening, more so than the actual people but they eventually become involved.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I get drained by talking, not people. ESTP's aren't usually big with talking all the time but still very social. Extrovert doesn't equal nonstop talking.

Reactions: Chamelian

·
Registered
653 Posts
Maybe it's the type of talking... Does all talking drain you? Does this draining talk feel 'authentic'? There's no other factors like anxiety in play right? Are these ppl either 'at your level' or 'on a wavelength' intellectually? I get drained by discussing ideas with people not on a wavelength with me, and energized by the opposite. Is this the case with you? You have "vibed" with someone before right? Did that drain you?

Is it possible ...extroverted?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe it's the type of talking... Does all talking drain you? Does this draining talk feel 'authentic'? There's no other factors like anxiety in play right? Are these ppl either 'at your level' or 'on a wavelength' intellectually? I get drained by discussing ideas with people not on a wavelength with me, and energized by the opposite. Is this the case with you? You have "vibed" with someone before right? Did that drain you?
Most talking drains me because most of my thoughts are focused inwardly, the only time I don't mind is in order to get the person to contribute useful information which will kind of expand my factual knowledge/perspective or when I'm focusing on/thinking about. But I don't mind if the person likes to talk, I actually don't mind when people word vomit all over me since it generally requires little effort on my part (as long as we're doing fun things together). As for focusing on intellectual wavelength, this could... possibly be the case. Only individual I've "vibed" with before was apparently an ISTJ (took the test and got such results, but was uncertain), actually most of the other confirmed ENTPs I've talked to IRL have drained me for whatever reason (though I understood them)
But yeah, possibly it's the intellectual wavelength that's necessary but I think more so about whether what I can learn new, useful information from them. If not, then mindlessly socializing just in order to get out of the house and do things. Idk, even as a kid I didn't really like sitting down and having conversations with people (unless I was confused about something/wanted to learn something). I'd have conversations in my head and rely on people to do stuff with.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
depends :p.

if i don't feel like the conversation is going anywhere, i just kind of go into "polite mode" (pretty sure it shows on my face, or at least i imagine that it does--i can feel my face go kind of slack and the area around my eyes tighten up, and judging by the look on the other person's face + their withdrawing of energy... lol, i try to kick up the "polite interest" but that just prolongs all of it and is really insincere, plus it makes me seem really hot/cold to others).

i find certain people bring conversation and "energy" out of me--those are the ones that i'll put my focus on or seek out, the ones that bring out my "extroversion" in the colloquial sense. i find these people can give a tangibility of sorts to what it is that's going through my head. there's no other way to explain it, but just by being around them or speaking to them/leading up with something, it's like they supply the wood/concrete to my thought or even to the way that i would like the conversation to go for everyone--like, "this" is already here, let's just get it out and make it appear, and in "this specific way", which is where all of you come in :p, and we'll all enjoy it (but don't take that to mean that i'm some lively person who is instigating the act, more like i just sort of look for it when i'm in the mood, if that makes sense).

figuring something out is another reason that makes me kind of avid, but other than that and the above reasons, i'd rather just kind of sink into myself, watch, and pop back out whenever.

as far as introversion/extroversion:

i think that both orientations can get "drained" by talking. i would say that yours still sounds extroverted though (unless i'm not understanding you :p). you seem to still be on the look out for what's "outside" of yourself; though, you do mention that most of your thoughts are "inward"--but does it seem like they are only inward in times or stress/unhappiness + when the environment isn't to your liking? does it seem like your thoughts really begin outwardly, come inwards to percolate, but inevitably tie into and rest outside of yourself?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey 'o_O'!

So you come to us to recharge from your thoughts? Is 'small-talk' a waste of time for you? I mean stuff like asking how your days have been and anything that mighta' jumped out and got your interest recently. I'm thinking about where that "draining" thing comes from and it's probably us (the public!) that, when discussing your ideas also drain the energy you built up before for our current discussion.

We all need time to rest, so I don't think that's an introvert thing. You can't be in the sun all day you know! Well... there's SPF 'a-whole-lot', so... probably.

Do you know what it was about that ISTJ that you felt connected you guys? I'd like to know 'cuz I'm sure this'd make things a lot clearer. Aside from that, you hate non-stimulating conversation and seek it when only there's an opportunity for intellectual knowledge. You might be INTP and someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly! Whatever your type is I think it's cool you can come to people with your own ideas and engage them like you do! Thumbs!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I read somewhere that Entps are recognized as one of the weaker extroverted types, and are also linked to anti-social tendencies. Makes sense from what I've seen and read. Infjs by contrast are recognized as one of the weaker judging types and more extroverted introverts, but on the flipside are linked to human avoidance. Both types are seen as opposite sides of each other's psyche, yet still sharing much in common due to both being dominant intuitives.

I think wanting to implement your ideas would come with human maturity?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Most talking drains me because most of my thoughts are focused inwardly, the only time I don't mind is in order to get the person to contribute useful information which will kind of expand my factual knowledge/perspective or when I'm focusing on/thinking about. But I don't mind if the person likes to talk, I actually don't mind when people word vomit all over me since it generally requires little effort on my part (as long as we're doing fun things together). As for focusing on intellectual wavelength, this could... possibly be the case. Only individual I've "vibed" with before was apparently an ISTJ (took the test and got such results, but was uncertain), actually most of the other confirmed ENTPs I've talked to IRL have drained me for whatever reason (though I understood them)
But yeah, possibly it's the intellectual wavelength that's necessary but I think more so about whether what I can learn new, useful information from them. If not, then mindlessly socializing just in order to get out of the house and do things. Idk, even as a kid I didn't really like sitting down and having conversations with people (unless I was confused about something/wanted to learn something). I'd have conversations in my head and rely on people to do stuff with.
Hmm, no conclusions immediately jump out at me here. What's your attitude towards talking and social related talking in general? Do you have any dismissiveness of it? Or do you consider it an integral part of your happiness?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Although I can't say I hate all conversations I am required to participate in, I can certainly vouch that there are extroverts (like myself) who are drained by talking.

Reactions: HellCat
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.