Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are an INTJ, do you find that when speaking with another person about a serious topic (religion/politics/philosophy), you are more able to carry on the discussion without feeling "emotionally drained" for far longer than a non-INTJ friend, and perhaps you never feel emotionally drained at all?

I think this trait might be true of INTx.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You're dead-on.

Oddly enough, I sound like a bumbling idiot when I have to exercise Te... Silence and writing are a prerequisite for dialogues about serious topics. Conversing with NTs--particulary INTs-- is certainly easier, though.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I can usually carry on a conversation like that until the other person starts feeling that I am presenting the world as a dark, bleak, depressing place, and existence is useless. But I feel quite content. I can definitely drain people of enthusiasm for life, even without even trying.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,790 Posts
I can usually carry on a conversation like that until the other person starts feeling that I am presenting the world as a dark, bleak, depressing place, and existence is useless. But I feel quite content. I can definitely drain people of enthusiasm for life, even without even trying.
This is why I like you:tongue:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Slightly different take....

This depends on my interest in the topic itself. If the topic isn't something that appeals to me, then there is the question of value to the whole thing whereas if the topic does appeal to me, the discussion tends to be quite energizing and useful for me. Thus it isn't just any serious topic but a topic that appeals to me as questioning how well the leaders of the G8 are doing doesn't exactly thrill me most days.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I thrive on conversations like that! I could talk about things like that for hours but I notice the people I'm talking to get irritated and bored!

·
Registered
4 Posts
ROFL... Thats so true with me too. I am obsessed with economics and with whats coming to the USA.... then there is a point in the conversation where they just... shut off... its like they mentally leave the conversation and just don't care anymore but might continue to be physically present.

Also to the OP, I get energy while talking about interesting things like politics, philosophy, evolutionary psychology, etc... Around 30+ minutes with an intellectually intense conversation most people are exhausted while I could go for 4 hours or more without realizing it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Absolutely! Normally I am quiet in conversation and give short replies. But if it's discussing religion or something I'm interested in, I suddenly feel a rush of energy as I suddenly become much more eloquent, talkative, and (according to some people) arrogant.

I think it's called "adrenaline."

Reactions: dagdraumur

·
Registered
80 Posts
For me, this is THE defining point of friendship. Sure I can play off the happy-go-bubbly semantics for a short time in front of a group, but when it gets down to it if that person can talk with me about deep, timeless things to the point where we lose track of time and wind up conversing for hours on end, this to me is a true friend worthy of my respect.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I am more emotionally charged actually. It is mainly because I am able to relate to an INTx emotionally compared to other types. The conversation doesn't completely engage my emotional side thus I do not feel the need to garner my emotions nor reflect on the emotion part of the situation at hand.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
The discussion doesn't need to be "serious" all the time, it just needs to have a high level of interest to me, for it not to be draining, otherwise I really don't care about the discussion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The discussion doesn't need to be "serious" all the time, it just needs to have a high level of interest to me, for it not to be draining, otherwise I really don't care about the discussion.

My point being that "serious" conversations seem to exhaust non-NTs. (I suppose that anyone who was interested enough in any specific topic would find that it does not drain them as much as other topics)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^Doubly so? :laughing:

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I can spend (and have spent) hours talking about these topics, but it needs to be in a way that's not...I don't know. When things start crossing over into conspiracy theories and such, I lose steam--mainly because it seems pointless and there's no way to confirm what they're saying. I love it though when I start talking to a person (usually xNTJ) and then suddenly realize four hours have passed. :happy:

(ISFP but most of the letters are pretty even.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
When the topic of conversation has to do with the other person being upset about a boyfriend issue or some other useless conversation that's strangled by emotions, I get extremely drained by it even after a few minutes and usually I'm not even talking!

However, the heavy hitting conversation topics such of religion and science, philosophy... those are the conversations I do well. I find them very interesting and tend to feel more energetic after them, even if it was a debate-like conversation.

Conversing with INTJ's in general, is just easier. It certainly helps to let the barriers down when someone is on the same wave length as you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts