Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you read books motherfucker, and boring ones at that.

~

So I'm kinda in a bind. With my mother passing away (no consolations, please. I enjoy a healthy dose of the feels as much as the next guy from time to time but the woman was sort of a hardcore sociopath [and not the good kind]) I'd decided on the fantastic blunder of moving in with my father on the other side of the state (Beaumont, Texas). I hadn't really kept in contact with the guy too much despite his (rather crazed) efforts because, well, there just wasn't much chemistry to be had with a flaky alcoholic who put his carnal pleasures and plunders at almost every turn in my life. Granted we were on pretty good terms before I came down here things have begun their descent on the woeful slippery slope.

As a precursor I guess I should mention that the dude is such an obvious ESTP. I mean he might as well be the fucking poster child of the lot. He loves his drinking, is a religious fan of rock-n-roll (and Jesus), is big on the whole alpha-dog complex - which was cute, right up until he became more and more irritated by the fact that I had little interest to be the beta in our interactions - and not to mention he's been a (very successful, barring the alcoholism) salesman at the Better Business Bureau of southeast Texas for the past seventeen years. And since I moved down here a month ago I've been pretty adamant about landing myself a job somewhere to help with rent and eventually work my way out of bumfuck Texas He's even acknowledged my efforts and appraised me for them (patronizingly so) and yet here I am on the edge of being kicked out of his house.

To minimalize a whole lot of semantics and even more bullshit let's just say I got a job at restaurant A. Unfortunately they couldn't get a class ready until they could get a few more waiters on standby for training so shit luck there at the moment. Three days later I landed another job at Rest. B (happenstancely enough across the street) and begin paid training within the week. Now after said week transpires I get a call from Rest. A saying a class is ready and that my paid training their will be starting this upcoming Monday. So I quit at the place I was at today in gleeful preparation for my new set of cuffs and whip. All the while my father is up is a hundred miles away for the week for some training himself and is none-the-wiser about this.

I'm thinking "No biggie, if he has any questions about this all he'll give me a call." since my grandfather who I'd been keeping updated through this all talked to my father on a daily basis.

Questions were to be had indeed.

I was subjugated to this wonderful little tussle (via text) just a few hours ago:

"I will not allow a bum to live in my house ive been patient u need to be working or make other arrangements just letting u know and im serious"

"Just letting you know that being employed doesn't really qualify someone as being a 'bum'."

"JUST LETTIN U KNO THAT U BETTR GET URSELF A JOB BECAUSE IM COMING THERE SATURDAY and if u aint workin ur getting out of my house JUST THOUGHT I LET U KNOW"

"k"

"K."

I'm not sure if he felt traumatized by the act of me 'going behind his back', if he's drunk, or what, but he'd made similar threats in the past of kicking me to the curb (despite having a job at Rest. A at the time as well...) which he then apologized profusely for later.

To be completely honest, I don't really care if he actually ends up doing just that or not. I can reach work through the public transit system and I have the uniform for it already, I'm seriously considering just leaving and saddling up at the salvation army or something and going from there. The only thing I'm worried about is the question of self-maintaining of my grooming needs/washing of clothes considering this job is really the only means I'll have for self-sustenance. I'm just tired of pretending to give a shit about this guy who obviously has never had any sincere interest of letting me be anything more than his view of what I should be. (ala a tail-raising bitch).

So there's that. I guess I'm just posting here because as an inexperienced kid who's scared shitless and realizing for the first time how really alone I am in this whole endeavor, I just want to get up on my own feet so I can go to college and make something of my life. I'm just so supremely inexperienced and presumably inadequate in, well, everything, this all just seems so overwhelming and I don't want to be poverty-stricken over the majority of my youth.

Any insights? Any are welcome whether they be meager or large, and are of course are greatly fucking appreciated.
You can even throw peanuts if you came here just for the show (I'm sorry if it was a drawn-out, disappointing one at that).

I'm also a nineteen year-old male, with a driver's license and a squeaky clean record and solid work history, if that can add some possible relevance.

'Man, sometimes this world just feels like it's too much noise.'

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
In that order? Wheee, thanks.
Depends on how pressing a situation you moving out of his house is. Community Colleges will usually offer you money in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, whenever you give them your FAFSA. You could also google for scholarships, and apply for the ones that fit your requirement, and you fit theirs. If you move to another town, you'll have to get a job there, if not, just keep the one you have now.

Use the job to save up money and pay your rent.

If you have a car, great, if you don't, figure out a method of transportation to get from CC to job to home.

Eat lightly, do everything you can to minimize spending money. Use craigslist, word of mouth, etc. to buy things. Mooch off of other people a lot, without remorse.

It will be a challenge. My brother, at age 17, completed his GED and decided to move a state away from my parents. He ended up living there for a while, and it was very stressful. Any sort of support you can get from family members is great.

Your dad seems pretty irrational. Deal with it by working, studying, and staying out of his hair as much as possible. Your campus will probably offer study rooms, and you might even try to get a job there so you can cut time off your commute, and have access to school whenever you need it.

Thank you for providing me a distraction from my homework, but now I must go read too many books in a row for several days.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is there a hospital nearby? They often have well-paying jobs and a cafeteria where employees eat cheap. Some have tuition reimbursement. Or try to get a job at a college, and you may also get free or cheap tuition.

After a certain amount of time living at your father's house, he can't simply kick you out because it's your legal residence. If you threaten to call the cops he'll think twice, especially if he's been drinking.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a hospital nearby? They often have well-paying jobs and a cafeteria where employees eat cheap. Some have tuition reimbursement. Or try to get a job at a college, and you may also get free or cheap tuition.
I should at least be able to get a free ride through state college, where I plan on getting my basics, so I doubt there'll be any real issue there (me hopes).

And on whether or not on the hospital thing ~ Probably. I mean, it's fuckin' Beaumont Texas so I could easily be wrong but I'll still check into that. Also that suggestion really caught me off guard. Thanks.

After a certain amount of time living at your father's house, he can't simply kick you out because it's your legal residence. If you threaten to call the cops he'll think twice, especially if he's been drinking.
Haha, seriously? That's interesting. I've tried doing a bit of snooping around google but I can't find anything about that that particularly pertains to the state of Texas so I guess I'll just forfeit it to the gray area for now. I'm probably just going to end up packing and shipping myself off to the Salvation Army anyways and just do my laundry at an aunt that lives nearby. I've got enough shit to deal with as is (woe is me) and I just don't need this noise right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts