Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm fairly new to psychology and MBTI, so I'm still learning a lot, but I seem to have most of the types down. c:
There is one thing I've been wondering about for a while now, and that's drastic changes in personality from childhood to adulthood.

As a child, I was extremely outgoing and sociable. I loved people and I always wanted to make new friends. Never did I feel that there was "too much" socializing! I was smart, but also had no filter. I talked a lot and would blurt out just about everything I felt without considering how it would affect the other person. I never meant any harm, I was just honest to the point where I had no tact. Despite this, I would do just about anything to make other people happy. I would give away my most favorite possessions to people I didn't even know without hesitation if I knew it would make them happy. I was very bossy and opinionated, but still accepting of others, even if I didn't accept their beliefs.
I stayed this way probably until I was about 10 years old, then gradually changed until I became who I am now around 13/14.

I am now almost a complete opposite to who I was before. As far as I know, I'm an INFP. I seem to fit the type pretty well, but I'm still not totally sure if my perception of who I am is different from who I really am. But anyways, I am now a very quiet person. I'll open up to you and express my feelings, but not to the same extent I used to. I'm still honest, but I rarely express my feelings to those I'm not close to unless prompted to. I can only take about 15 minutes of socializing before I have to leave the room. I love people, but I feel angry with them and I don't want them in my life. I'm not very bossy anymore, either. In fact, I'm kind of a pushover. I'll do just about anything to keep the peace and avoid arguments, whereas before I would seek out conflicts to prove my point. I'm still opinionated, but much more open. Few of my opinions feel 100% concrete, and I'm always willing to change if shown enough evidence to convince me to.

I still want to make friends, but I'm much more hesitant in doing so. I have a very small circle of friends and I'm very picky about who I let into it. I don't mean to be, but it seems that I just can't relate to people in the way that I used to. Every time I try to socialize, it seems nobody understands anything I say. Either my interests are really weird, or I've been locking myself away into introversion for so long that I'm out of touch with reality!

I wouldn't say that I'm unhappy, but I wouldn't say that I'm content either. In fact, I don't really feel anything the way I used to. As a child my emotions were very strong, but now it seems that everything I feel is so mellowed that it's hard to pick out good emotions from bad ones. They're all just kind of neutral, really. I've felt this way since I graduated elementary school. (I went into homeschool in 7th grade.) I feel sort of detached, as if I'm watching my life as if it's a movie. I don't feel this way so much when I'm alone, but I feel it very much so as soon as I have to socialize.

I'm not depressed, but I have been in the past. I had quite a few bad experiences with friends and family. I've faced many betrayals from so called "best friends", and I have issues with my mother. She's not a bad person, but she's really messed up. I feel sort of guilty for saying this, but sometimes it seems that I'm more of a mother to her than she is to me. When I was little, she was an amazing mom. She was my best friend and with me all of the time. But around the time I turned 8, she became severely depressed and suicidal and began to take her feelings out on me. I now feel resentful towards her, but I'm trying to work through it. It's really not her fault.

I have a lot of strange triggers involving people, many of which are really quite stupid. I often get angry with myself for having these issues, but I seem to spiral into panic attacks at certain sights and sounds. Things like people shaking their feet, chewing gum or loud foods, having an extended hissing "s" sound, making smacking noises or "nummy" noises, twiddling their thumbs or rubbing their fingers together, holding their hands in the air while they walk, or wearing loud flip flops or flats always makes me nauseous or unreasonably angry to the point of tears. I've never understood why I have such a reaction to these things, and I feel very guilty about it. I try to avoid people in general so I don't get angry or sick to my stomach. I'm not sure where all of these things came from, but they started probably around the time I was 12 or 13, and have only gotten worse since then. If it makes any difference, these are all things my mother does or has done.

I feel that I've come to terms with my friendship issues and have moved on to a healthier place. However, I still have a lot of learned traits from those friendship issues, and I feel that my extreme introversion may be one of them.

Is it normal to change personality types in adulthood? I'm an 18-year-old girl, by the way. Not really sure if that makes much of a difference though. Sometimes I wonder if my true self is the person I was born as, and if the reason I feel so detached is because I've made myself into someone I'm not. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what caused it?

Thank you! c:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
@Mochilotl I don't think it's normal to the extent you are describing. If you've been put through a lot with your mother from an early age (and are still in a difficult situation?) it'll show on you, of course, but it doesn't mean everything is good. This doesn't necessarily sound MBTI related to me. Are you and your mother getting any help or are you on your own?

·
Registered
593 Posts
People can change, and I'm sick of people on this forum saying that they can't. Often a significant emotional event can cause such a change.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As far as I know I used to be more girly. I loved pink, Barbies, and I wanted to be a teacher or a nurse. I also wanted children. I was extremely sensitive to criticism and a total pushover. My grades were awful and I didn't even care about learning anything. All I wanted to do was have fun, because I thought education was stupid. I loved fairy tales and love songs.

So, does this mean I'm not an INTP? Well, things did change as I got older. My optimism faded as I learned about how the world is. I am now more cynical and pessimistic, I hate pink, playing with Barbies is not entertaining anymore, and I want to be a writer. I don't want children and I see the value in receiving constructive criticism. I'm a lot less of a pushover, plus my grades improved. Knowledge is what I pursue more than anything else. Love songs aren't that great anymore either.

What I'm describing is the nature of change. Who we are as a child doesn't mean we'll stay like that, though some things about me as a child have remained the same. I still love the Internet, I'm still a picky eater, and I still don't have many friends.

From your post it sounds like you've been through a lot and this has taken a toll on you. I know that if some things had never happened to me I'd probably be a different person right now. Different events affect different people differently, but not everyone is going to bounce back and remain optimistic and bubbly afterward. Some people change as a result of experience. This isn't necessarily bad, but in some cases it's severe enough to warrant therapy.

Therapy would probably be helpful for learning to deal with the things you've experienced. I'm just not sure if you need it. You seem to be doing fine based on what you've said. Still, if you're concerned about how you are now, seeing a therapist isn't a bad idea just as long as you make sure to find a good one.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
My social life has changed from childhood to adulthood, too.
I was a pretty social kid (very shy at first, but then I was able to hang out 24/7). When I was a teenager I changed to not being able to handle people at all and I just wanted to be alone all the time. Socializing felt like the most exhausting thing ever and other people weren't able to give me anything, even though there were a few exeptions.
Now I'm a little older (21) and I'm more balanced. I'm still anxious about social situations, but I love meeting new people and hanging out/doing stuff again. And I still love alone time! :)

I also changed from being a complete doormat with no self when I was a teenager to a pretty confident person.

·
Registered
628 Posts
When you're ak id you just don't go and do things things in impulse, if something hurts you, it'll pass and you keep going. as you go okder you become more self-aware and neurotic.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's normal, and it's a damn shame. Everyone is so much more amicable before the obession over sex kicks in, after that we get trapped in superficiality and small mindedness.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've changed in the sense that I've become much more introverted, and that's pretty much everything. I think the change started around the 3rd or 4th grade, as I were kind of ostracized by my teacher from the rest of the girls (I have no idea why she did this to me) in my class and they got to know each other better and spend most time together while I was lonely. My introvertedness became more obvious by the year. In high school I've started developing AvPD.

·
Edgelord
INFP 5w4 - ILI - Chaotic Good
6,942 Posts
I was the stereotypical INTP during my childhood.

Then I became the stereotypical INFP when I became an adult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts