Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's just me, but are any other ISTJs here constantly drawn to INTPs?

My first boyfriend was an INTP, and the majority of the people I bother to socialize with are INTPs as well.

I'm guessing I'm drawn to Intuitives because they make for interesting people by virtue of their insight into issues (although, being a strong Sensor, I'm hard-pressed to match up to that), and INTPs in particular have a kind of...dry wit which I love.

Also, if any INTPs read this, do you guys like ISTJs, and if so, what do you like about them?

167 Posts
It's always nice to see an ISTJ that can appreciate our N. I admire my ISTJ mother so much. She's very dependable, my pillar of strength. I might not have realized it back then, but the practical skills I now possess (organization, home maintenance etc) I have learned it from her.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
INTPs can make great friends. They are witty and logical and can show ISTJs a whole 'nother way of thinking. Similarly, we ISTJs can help them with being grounded in day to day living. Where we tend to get into difficulty is in our J/P differences--or if we try to make a relationship work when we have different values.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Glad to see that we're valued for our dependability, likewise. =) I've always wished I was an N, or at least not so strongly an S. Not really sure how to change that though.
Don't try to change your S. While we're all more than the sum of our parts, there's no reason you should feel like you should need to change your sensing tendencies.

Anyway, I like that INTP's think outside the box. And conversely, they like me because I am that good at organizing things and getting things done. :laughing:

·
Registered
434 Posts
There is an ISTJ girl I really like right now. She's beautiful #1 so that helps. But I think we really like each other for both being introverted thinkers. She doesn't feel pressure around me to perform and be girly and bubbly. In fact I think she knows I hate it. I think I help her be more imaginative.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I was wondering if my liking of NTPs indicated that I was really an ISFJ. But if apparently ISTJs do indeed like NTPs and get along with them well, then maybe it's not so weird that I am an ISTJ that who likes NTPs after all. The sentiment towards ENTPs in particular has sometimes been less than positive in the ISTJ forum (or maybe they just mean certain ENTPs).

One of my ex-boyfriends (having taken the MBTI test) is an ENTP. I had a ton of inital attraction to him, but the relationship went down in flames. Part of this failure was related to different ideas about things that we could not compromise. We are still friends though.

I am attracted to intellectual types, and the NTPs I have liked sure have been intellectual. I like the way they think and can hold on a discussion. But compromising over a huge issue with them sounds like it would never happen because both sides would think they are right. I wonder if this is the Ti/Fe vs Te/Fi coming out.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
The sentiment towards ENTPs in particular has sometimes been less than positive in the ISTJ forum (or maybe they just mean certain ENTPs).

I am attracted to intellectual types, and the NTPs I have liked sure have been intellectual. I like the way they think and can hold on a discussion. But compromising over a huge issue with them sounds like it would never happen because both sides would think they are right. I wonder if this is the Ti/Fe vs Te/Fi coming out.
I've got no beef with ENTP's in general. It's only when they troll that I have a problem. And then it's the individual, not the type.

Intelligence is sexy.

Having said that, I butt heads with the confirmed INTP that I know CONSTANTLY. It's extremely frustrating, because he's so creative, and has so many great ideas. And then they go like ... nowhere. He starts all of these grandiose things, and they just sort of either fall flat, or they just sort of wither away. If he cares at all, he doesn't verbalize that frustration. Part of his problem is that he can't keep track of ANYTHING, let alone multiple projects. I once asked him if he remembered his own birthday. :tongue: Anyway, the last time I saw him, he insisted that I buy him a planner. I was put off by the (financial) demand at first ... until he asked that I get him the exact same one that I use. THEN I was flattered. I was even more impressed when he asked me about important dates and wrote them down right then and there. There might be hope for him yet. :crazy:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are ISTJ's insecure around INTP's imagination or inspired? I can't tell if I should tone it down initially or flaunt it.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Are ISTJ's insecure around INTP's imagination or inspired? I can't tell if I should tone it down initially or flaunt it.

I usually find INTPs imaginative side fascinating as long as it doesn't get to the point where they only want to get a reaction from me. I usually don't have much to contribute to the ideas since it takes a lot for me to think that way so it is usually a one-sided conversation when that happens, but I enjoy listening to them... they get me thinking.

As for the OP's questions: I am drawn to all TP types..... I think I am really intrigued by Ti.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm worried I'm being too hard on the ISTJ I like. She's expecting me to do all the work in conversation and I'm getting tired of it. Do you think I'm being too hard on her? I honestly feel like she's not trying...but maybe she is.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Maybe it is just your choice of the word "flaunt," and you really mean something else. I can't see ISTJs liking anything that is flaunted. Such actions would make a good thing leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm worried I'm being too hard on the ISTJ I like. She's expecting me to do all the work in conversation and I'm getting tired of it. Do you think I'm being too hard on her? I honestly feel like she's not trying...but maybe she is.
It's all about trust. If she doesn't feel like she can trust you with her emotions, she is going to be very laconic and reticent until the relationship develops to the point where she believes that she understands your motivations.

Reactions: Sela

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I was wondering if my liking of NTPs indicated that I was really an ISFJ. But if apparently ISTJs do indeed like NTPs and get along with them well, then maybe it's not so weird that I am an ISTJ that who likes NTPs after all. The sentiment towards ENTPs in particular has sometimes been less than positive in the ISTJ forum (or maybe they just mean certain ENTPs).

One of my ex-boyfriends (having taken the MBTI test) is an ENTP. I had a ton of inital attraction to him, but the relationship went down in flames. Part of this failure was related to different ideas about things that we could not compromise. We are still friends though.

NTPs can be very attractive, especially IRL. In these forums it takes a more mature NTP to understand how they might be perceived and to temper their words accordingly. IRL, they pick up on body language very well and know when they are crossing boundaries, so conflicts are fewer in general conversation and interaction. In a romantic relationship, I can see how that would blow up.

Sometimes in your posts, you do come across with a bit of a "feeler" or even a "perceiver" flavor. I'm not saying that you are typed incorrectly, but maybe you emphasize your cognitive functions a little differently, at times.

As for the treatment of NTPs in this forum, it is based on the individual. If a person comes in attacking or stereotyping ISTJs as being less than other types, I will call them on it in a heartbeat. I am here to help ISTJs, and anyone tearing them down is certainly not welcome.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Why are ISTJ's so gaurded?
We are concrete thinkers. Emotions are not concrete. Therefore, emotions are not to be trusted as part of a decision making process. Therefore, we tend to take the time to look at all of the data and separate how we feel about something compared to what we know about it, and make a decision as objectively as we can.

Relationships are filled with emotion and not too much concrete data. Therefore, we don't have much to go on when making a decision. Relationships must then be approached with a great deal of caution.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I used to be really shy around TPs because they can be very intimidating with their intelligence that it can sometimes come off as abrasive without them realizing it. She probably isn't initiating much because she is probably intimidated by you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think she is. What should I do? I've tried to be vulnerable and kind genuinely interested....as much as INTP's can. I actually got a little upset she ignored me other day I think I was abrasive. Oops. It's because I care.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I think she is. What should I do? I've tried to be vulnerable and kind genuinely interested....as much as INTP's can. I actually got a little upset she ignored me other day I think I was abrasive. Oops. It's because I care.
Give it time and go slowly.

Reactions: Sela
1 - 20 of 39 Posts