Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few jobs over the years: retail, waitressing, call center work. Now I finally got a job that will help me with my degree but a few weeks in, and I'm already looking forward to not working there anymore. Not that I'm planning to quit anytime soon, it's not like I have that choice. I'd be too ashamed to give up so soon. I think it makes me look inconsistent and flighty. But I can see myself heading down that path which will just lead to me doing crappy work and having low spirits. I hope I can change it. To add to it, I've been presented with two other job offers which now sound much better than what I'm doing but if I were to give up my current job, a few weeks in, how would that look? And what if I do that and I do exactly the same thing at every job?
I don't even know what my problem is anymore and it scares me. What if this means I'll hate all jobs I'll ever have? I don't want to spend 50 hours of my week hating my life and the remaining hours dreading going to work.
Do you guys have any advice on this? Am I the only one feeling this way? Do I just suck? Help!!! :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a tricky one. Changing jobs very quickly can make you look inconsistent and flighty, but sometimes it has to be done. Can you find out more information about the offered jobs? You should be able to ask them for more detailed information, maybe you can even go in and talk to some people who already work there, they can give you the low-down. Try to determine if it would be exactly the same as the job you're in at the moment. If you leave one job after a few weeks, but then stay in the new job for a long time, it won't matter in the future. If recruiters ask you in the future about you short time at that job, make sure you have a valid answer for it.

Any chance that the job you're in could evolve into something better? Some companies will start you with the simplest, most mind-numbing rubbish work to allow you time to settle in and learn, and then gradually start giving you the more interesting stuff. Things might get better where you are?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Do you like to work? If not then don't expect to find a job you're going to like much. For some people working is fun and for some it isn't.

Now if it's just a matter of not having a job that fits you then you can fix that. You have to decide what you like doing and stay away from jobs that are boring to you.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've had this problem myself. As others have mentioned, you have to determine what it is that makes you dislike the work, to see if this is something that can be rectified with your current job, and if not, what would you need in a future job. After all, you don't want to leave and make the same mistake again. In any case, I would advise to at least wait one year while maintaining an open mind about your current job. Try finding out not only what you dislike, but what you like about the job. Find out what your coworkers like about this job and if what you're experiencing is typical of just new recruits or if everyone continues to feel this way about the work. Whatever you find, toughing it out for at least a year will help you appear less flighty and give you time to plan your next move.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I hate working too, so I decided to never get a job.
Then how are you going to support yourself financially?

@she_sells_seashells It's not a problem that you dislike work, but to correlate your own happiness with the kind of job you have is a mistake in my opinion. Especially in an economy like today, when I am looking for employment or any kind of salary, I take whatever job I can get when given the opportunity.

To switch your job for the sake of learning new skills to apply to different kinds of work is what I consider admirable. Not to mention that the more areas you have experience in, the more adaptable you are to the help wanted out there. If you do leave your current position right away, your reason for leaving is to move up a latter, not ditch the latter you were on and try a new one. Put your work reputations and actions into the best light possible.

I would also look into this guy's no-nonsense blog about early retirement.

·
Registered
428 Posts
@she_sells_seashells: Hmm how about if you knew how the other 2 job offers will turn out for you 6 months down the road? What if you knew all the challenges and pitfalls you would face at those 2 job offers? Then you can compare those against your current job and pick the one that you will be happiest at. Or at the very least the one that has the least trouble for you.

Reactions: she_sells_seashells

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any chance that the job you're in could evolve into something better? Some companies will start you with the simplest, most mind-numbing rubbish work to allow you time to settle in and learn, and then gradually start giving you the more interesting stuff. Things might get better where you are?
It could in the far distant future. It'll be a couple of years and it's very competitive. It also means putting in crazy amounts of hours plus you're held at overwhelming standards.

Do you like to work? If not then don't expect to find a job you're going to like much. For some people working is fun and for some it isn't.

Now if it's just a matter of not having a job that fits you then you can fix that. You have to decide what you like doing and stay away from jobs that are boring to you.
I love working. Frankly when I don't work my life is in disarray. The problem I think has been customer service jobs. I love people, but I get overwhelmed dealing with grumpy customers all the time.

@she_sells_seashells: Hmm how about if you knew how the other 2 job offers will turn out for you 6 months down the road? What if you knew all the challenges and pitfalls you would face at those 2 job offers? Then you can compare those against your current job and pick the one that you will be happiest at. Or at the very least the one that has the least trouble for you.
Agreed. I wish I would've known with this one. There are aspects of it I love but here's my big big big issue (other than what I mentioned with the customer service, which I force myself to overcome all the time): it's 11+ hour work days. I'm a zombie. I literally could sleep on a table if I get the chance to. Today for example I've slept almost since the time I got home, now I woke up to get a snack and refresh my brain, and it's back to sleep until I have to go to work. I feel a little bit irrational and like crying although I have no idea why. I hope I get used to the schedule and the pitfalls because I'd hate to give up. Although I also don't want to sacrifice my happiness in the process either.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well if you do have to find a new job or something, do let me know.

I can help you to ace the interview by letting you know what the interviewers want and how you should pitch yourself. Also as I have shared, I can show you how working at the company will turn out for you in advance so you don't have to go through the whole process just to find out. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.