Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could build any school without any limitations how would you make it? You don't need to be an expert on education or anything since this is all light hearted, but I know INTJs are famous for hating school (or atleast I do) so is there anything you want to change that would've made you're experience at school better? And the same goes to any others NTs visiting.

I think I would have less incompetent teachers. That is a good start I think.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Self-directed learning.

"These are the subjects you have to learn, you can take the test whenever you think you're ready. Study groups, lab times and office hours are on the website if you find you need assistance. Have fun."

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Access to advanced laboratory apparatus with no rules and procedures. Just lots of people doing a lot of research and development. Then again, that isn't called school is it?

Yes I'm a known hater of educational institutions to my family and high school faculty.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Something that teaches the Arcane Arts. Preferably, evocation and destruction.

Reactions: Paradox of Vigor

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I would create a university that had an actual ethics board, that could be called upon to ensure there are no undergrad students mobbed into existential depression because they asked the wrong professor a question they didn't have an answer to, graduate students weren't worked like a dog and treated like they were in a concentration camp, assistant professors weren't abused and then denied tenure for complete bullshit, etc. instead of the sorry ass system we have where every complaint is decided in the financial favor of the institution. I would eliminate "weed-out" 100 level courses that carry a class average of 73%, because some of the people being "weeded out" are capable of contributing far more to their field/discipline than the vast majority of the "yes, sir" types that our college system shits out. I would also employ incognito "students" to ensure that hidden political agendas aren't furthered in class discussions, detrimental to students who never knew what hit 'em.

Reactions: Figure

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
A school where the student learns what he is interested in. I guarantee they will charge forward with determination to uncover all they can. In this school, instructors will perform the task of exposing the students to various new concepts... laying them out in the open for the students to walk towards or ignore. The instructors will answer whatever questions they can, and aid the student in finding answers if they cannot. In this case, instructors are merely facilitators.

Every student needs balance, however. So of course basics would be covered, such as script [dying art], and writing skills.

I dunno. I wrote a paper on this once... as my second major was education. But that is my dream school.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Leave it to its own path.

People are to stupid to know what they want, that is why school direct them.

Reactions: Paradox of Vigor

·
Registered
55 Posts
A school where you can do whatever the hell you want.. If you want to learn, you learn.. right now theh make people who dont want to learn be in a classroom with people who do.. It just is stupid..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the problem with schools is that the system is built to fit everyone - which means that it inevitably will fit no one.

In a perfect world, people would somehow be separated into schools that fit their learning styles. And when they are finished with school, everyone would be on the same playing field assuming they'd studied similarly (ie - studying to a certain level of mathematics or a particular style of painting). The only thing that'd really be different is the method of learning/teaching and the environment.

That's what I want.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
but I know INTJs are famous for hating school (or atleast I do)

Clearly you have not met an INTP:cool:

Self-directed learning.

"These are the subjects you have to learn, you can take the test whenever you think you're ready. Study groups, lab times and office hours are on the website if you find you need assistance. Have fun."
OMG YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

EDIT: thought I'd include this:
In... oh... around 50 years or so, if you guys see a school called "Wammy's house for gifted youngsters" you'll know it was me XD.

I got the idea from Wammy's house in deathnote, and I liked the phrase from X-Men haha, except I'm going to mold it into my own ideal for furthering humanity. I realized that what I want to do for humanity cannot be done in my lifetime, so, I'm going to try and get other kids to do it. Before that gets misconstrued, let me explain:

The school system sucks, it doesn't further anybody except those in charge and those fortunate enough to be wonderful social networking individuals. I want to change that for people with the intellectual capability to change the world, I'm going to give them the power to do so. The ultimate goal is to give the kids that don't want to further my ideal what they want instead. The kids that don't want to help me change the world will instead be put into fast tracks of what careers they themselves want. They will be successful, I'm going to make sure of it, my school will make sure of it. But, for those that do want to help change the world for the better, I'm going to push them through the obstacles that will stand in their way to do so. The people that go through my school are going to be giants in their chosen profession, regardless of what career they choose. The ones that want to be lawyers, politicians, etc. will be those things, but they're not going to have their idealism destroyed like in the world today. I'm going to keep that fire burning for them and with their abilities they will be able to do wonderful things. It's going to be a wonderful day when I can vote for a politician without them being a politician.

L_Lawliet's definition of a politician: douchebag.

I probably rambled a little bit, but, whatever.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Ok-- so, University of Rochester, Evergreen, Bard College, Oberlin, Bowdoin, Harvey Mudd, Grinnell if you want someplace small

or Rose Hulman Institute of Technology, MIT, Embry Riddle, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon if you want someplace bigger where you can do what you want because no one is paying attention to you...

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts