Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow dreamers!

This is less prevalent now, but as a kid, I used to immerse myself into recognizable settings in my dreams. They are usually familiar real life settings as a "template" for the dream setting, with fantasy elements thrown in to the point of things being slightly familiar from real life, but not exactly the same. The inside of a grandfather clocks' gear workings, my neighborhood with a purple sky, inside my house, friends' houses, churches, schools, different kinds of neighborhoods with the same houses and roads, certain recognizable voids in space, my backyard, a video game/movie setting, etc. of course there are a bunch more, but you get the idea.

But!

I'll have completely different stories/events occurring within these same dreamworlds. They follow completely different plots, characters (may or may not have a random Jason Voorhees/Michael Myers inserted in there), etc. A lot of the time, I'll enter a dreamworld and feel this senses of nostalgia, almost belonging. That's usually when I realize that my environment is familiar and that I am having a dream, but not a recurring one.

There's always this struggle of sorts.

I'm struggling to become lucid because I recognize my environment, but I seem powerless to change the plot scene of my dream. The more I struggle the less likely I'll even hold onto the dream and drift into another dream world or devolve into a nightmare. Almost like I'm being punished for fighting the system? These things amount to trying to run away from a threat, but having numb, lead legs, or running through quicksand. Or even trying to jump and fly off, but I can only float a few feet before coming back to the ground where my pursuer awaits.

Why am I trying to go lucid? It's not to fight the sudden nightmare that appears in response to my resistance to the dream.

I recall the previous dreams I've had in the same dreamworld. Stories that ended with me making the wrong decision and falling to my dream ending, or pursuer catches me, or etc. Or maybe it was a really good, fun dream, but it ended because it was 7 a.m. I'm trying to go lucid so I can revisit these old dream plots and continue them with my control over what will happen, either for my entertainment or insatiable curiosity as to the rest of the story plot. I used to be really good at remembering dreams, but now I suppose I am older and forget these as soon as my feet leave the bed and touch the floor. Now the only time I recall these settings is in a forced day-dreaming session, or if I feel that hint of nostalgia again and recognize my surroundings. Only now, every time I do recognize a familiar dream setting, it's always a nightmare. Interesting. They're fun, but I still have this craving to explore the dream plots I never finished.

Sometimes I'll have dreams so powerful that I check them upon waking up just to confirm it was a dream. One that comes to mind is Super Smash Bros 64, with tons of secret characters and stages. The secret characters aren't video game characters, but more like television show characters. Or made up ones that I never had names or descriptions for.

Any similar experience or is it just me? :tongue:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am like this! Most of my fantasy writing comes from things that happen in a dream state. The dreams are so vivid and real I could have sworn they were real and the interactions were real. I saw someone's fictional character in a dream and it felt so real - they never told me the details about the character, and suddenly I got a text message from that person, waking me up. I texted all the details and was joking the character was a real extension of thought!

But yeah I have several universes I can dive in to, some of the characters are always there, some go, it depends on if they were meant to stay with me or not (stemming as an emotional response to real life). I like using Relax Melodies binaural beats to help enhance the dreams to the point they become mostly lucid.

I think my dreams re-write what I'd like to see happening or feeling in the real world, unintentionally. I've also had lucid dreams where I have been eating, and the dreams would tell me specifically what I should be eating, because it knew my body required a certain nutrient.

I don't know why, but Jude Mathis from Tales of Xillia lives in all of my dreams, which is weird, because he's the only character that isn't mine. I really don't know what he is supposed to represent. I think Jude Mathis is INFP though so he's probably going to help me figure that out in my sleep. :tongue:

·
Registered
347 Posts
But um back to the lucid dreaming part, I think it has to be done without cognitive dissonance if you want to get the full feeling from it. Being fully relaxed helps as well. Part of why I use Relax Melodies binaural beats to help me sleep. I know if I lucid dream earlier in the morning or slightly after noon, that's when the dreams are the most vivid. It could have something to do with our circadian rhythm, cognitive dissonance, and how relaxed we are.

Maybe try binaural beats or meditation music? Light yoga before sleep? Perhaps even a white noise machine would help.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I can end a dream anytime I want to. I act like I'm pulling on my face (in the dream). Then it feels like I'm swimming up from the bottom of a pool; and I wake up.

What I can't do yet is affect a dream in any other way. Pity.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But um back to the lucid dreaming part, I think it has to be done without cognitive dissonance if you want to get the full feeling from it. Being fully relaxed helps as well. Part of why I use Relax Melodies binaural beats to help me sleep. I know if I lucid dream earlier in the morning or slightly after noon, that's when the dreams are the most vivid. It could have something to do with our circadian rhythm, cognitive dissonance, and how relaxed we are.

Maybe try binaural beats or meditation music? Light yoga before sleep? Perhaps even a white noise machine would help.
Funny how I am familiar with such methods and yet never considered using them. I suppose I never focused specifically on trying to induce a lucid dream before sleeping. I will consider this Photon thank you! Binaural beats would help with this a lot I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts