Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel a bit embarassed to be posting this topic since it usually brings insults whenever I mention it outside of the internet, but I'm curious. I've tried bringing up this topic before with my friends, but my esfp friend either responds with a) You're thinking too deeply about this. Or b) He turns the symbol into something pertaining to sex. :/ If there is any meaning behind the dreams and my subconscious is trying to communicate with me I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just sex.

Anyways, do any of you people see the same symbol/animal/character over and over again in your dreams? If so, how do you think these dreams relate to your current state or personality? What do you typically dream about?

I keep seeing the same villain and the same animal repeatedly in my dreams, and what I find interesting is that in each new dream the encounters become more up close and hostile.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No need to be embarrassed! Dreams and the subconscious are a very important part of who we are.
Societies long ago believed (some still do) at one point that dreams were paths to other realms where knowledge could be obtained for society's benefit or about oneself. The subconscious mind is said to take up 90 percent of the brain, and it can pick up on things that the conscious mind either doesn't notice or ignores. Shamanism is a pretty interesting subject.

Now about your dream. If the encounters are more up-close and hostile, maybe there's something you're unsure about or afraid of. What kind of animal is it? How do you normally react in the dream?

There are dream symbolism pages all over the Internet that give an idea of what a dream could mean, but those can be limited at times. They don't really seem to help me, what with the dreams I have. One night I'm dreaming about a fantastical futuristic city in space, and the next I'm in a more mundane setting looking at an apartment complex. My dreams seem to jump from what I want out of life to "Whoa Nelly! Where did THAT come from!?" That and lucid dreaming. I had a lucid dream once where I managed to convince others that it was a dream (we fought off monsters), and I still don't know what that means.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh, 90%? I didn't know it was that much, that's interesting. :)

I tend to get attacked by snakes a lot, ranging from rattle snakes biting to pythons trying to eat me. Most of the time I just keep my distance and they don't persue me too far, but the rattlesnake was getting a little too close for comfort in my most recent dream. It's kind of interesting considering how much I love snakes in real life, but in my dreams they cause nervousness.

I also seem to dream a lot about Freiza from Dragon Ball, which is kind of funny. Whenever the guy shows up in the dream somehing goes horribly wrong, ranging from mass amounts of people dying or him bombarding me with a stream of insults on how useless or weak I am. What's odd is that in some of my more recent dreams I was looking specifically for him, and in one dream I was even trying to impress him (which is what provoked the insults). I remember in one dream there was a big war going on and he was the one who started it. I remember searching for him and yelling out "Where the hell is Freiza!" Once I arrived at the area he was suppossedly at however, I said to myself in the dream "I'm not gonna lie, I'm scared shitless right now," and after saying that I got really worried and turned and ran out the door. How cowardly of me, ha ha.

I've been researching dream symbols, and snakes seem to be such a broad and deep symbol that I'm not sure what they mean. As for Freiza, I read that seeing the same super villain in a dream many times means that there may be traits that you share with them and you don't want to aknowledge it. If that's the case, I wonder how I might've come off as racist or too bossy torwards my friends or fellow college students? Or maybe it has to do with friends and family members calling me a narcissist or giving me nicknames like "nazi" or "napoleon." Or as my counselor pointed out, my relationship in the real world with my brother and father isn't exactly the best.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I keep seeing the same villain and the same animal repeatedly in my dreams, and what I find interesting is that in each new dream the encounters become more up close and hostile.
I had a bunch of dreams where I was being chased/hunted by wolves, and they kept getting closer and closer every dream, I was just narrowly escaping, until finally I was cornered by one wolf, and we just stared at each other. Neither of us moved, but after several seconds the dream just ended and I woke up. I haven't had a dream about them since.

Scary as hell though, the other times. I've never had a problem with/been scared of wolves or dogs. Those dreams happened a couple of years ago, and I still have no idea what it all meant, but I'll never forget that "feeling" I had when I just... faced the wolf.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What if your subconsciousness has it`s on personal symbolism ? Because it`s trying to communicate with you (only you) And hasn`t read "The book of symbolism" or what ever it is. I`m only throwing an idea in, but to me it makes more sense that way !

I stand corrected if someone can explain every bazaar dream that ever existed ! but until then, I`m going to try to interpreter my dreams my own way ! however, I`m just thinking about your dream here but I`m just wondering if your subconscious is disappointed in you for some reason and in your dream your trying to prove yourself ? (I`m most likely wrong here because I don`t know you subconscious mind)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I used to record my dreams religiously for years. I bought the dream symbolism books and consulted a dream therapist. I'm now certain that deciphering dreams is a waste of time. There was no parallel between what happened in my sleeping life to my wake one. My dreams follow certain themes - trains, for example- but these dreams persist regardless of my life circumstances. Humans are good at seeing patterns that aren't there. I was ascribing meaning to what were essentially brain hiccups.

That said, if you are going to decipher your dreams, do not buy dream symbolism books. They are vague and worthless. A symbol has meaning only when you give it. A rose to you might mean pain, father figure, or a dozen other meanings that have nothing to do with the stereotypical meaning of love and romance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a bunch of dreams where I was being chased/hunted by wolves, and they kept getting closer and closer every dream, I was just narrowly escaping, until finally I was cornered by one wolf, and we just stared at each other. Neither of us moved, but after several seconds the dream just ended and I woke up. I haven't had a dream about them since.

Scary as hell though, the other times. I've never had a problem with/been scared of wolves or dogs. Those dreams happened a couple of years ago, and I still have no idea what it all meant, but I'll never forget that "feeling" I had when I just... faced the wolf.
Yeah, that's similar to my dreams with the snakes. I adore snakes in real life but whenever I see them in a dream it ends up being similar to your wolf dreams (except the snakes occassionaly talk as well).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What if your subconsciousness has it`s on personal symbolism ? Because it`s trying to communicate with you (only you) And hasn`t read "The book of symbolism" or what ever it is. I`m only throwing an idea in, but to me it makes more sense that way !

I stand corrected if someone can explain every bazaar dream that ever existed ! but until then, I`m going to try to interpreter my dreams my own way ! however, I`m just thinking about your dream here but I`m just wondering if your subconscious is disappointed in you for some reason and in your dream your trying to prove yourself ? (I`m most likely wrong here because I don`t know you subconscious mind)
Yeah, it is true that everyone is a little bit different, so the symbols will mean something different to everyone. At the same time though, people are also very similar and do often see the same meanings as many other people across the world. I would never waste my money on books or dream therapists, but it is nice to occassionaly look things up and ask others what they think. For example, I noticed a common trend in my dreams with symbols that typically have to do with holding in your emotions or constantly putting up a heavy guard around others. I have a close friend who is an ENFJ and he is constantly trying to get me to show some amount of feeling but ugh...it just doesn't seem right to me. I'm the type of person who gets pissed off when told to "do what your heart tells you."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts