Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I definitely don't ever remember dreaming about not being able to move. I also don't dream much about losing teeth (maybe once in my life when I had just had a painful tooth extraction procedure which makes sense), and I also have more adventurous/active dreams like extraverts are supposed to, at least when I remember them!!

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Some of my dreams are so vividly detailed and take place in such well-defined locales (sometimes I somehow know what year it is and it's usually the '90s), often restaurants or personalized rooms (like bedrooms filled with personal effects). Sometimes, it feels like those sorts of dreams are forged from the memories of other people and I've somehow absorbed them. Other times, I dream about giant skulls with sideways mouths eating people alive.

I've had those dreams where I can't move, hyperventilate in a state of half-sleep, dream about losing teeth, dream about not being able to affect anything, punching without effect, the whole shebang.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely don't ever remember dreaming about not being able to move. I also don't dream much about losing teeth (maybe once in my life when I had just had a painful tooth extraction procedure which makes sense), and I also have more adventurous/active dreams like extraverts are supposed to, at least when I remember them!!
That's interesting that you have the type of dreams they say extroverts have. Do you consider yourself an ambivert or primarily introverted? (Some INFJs are ambiverts.)

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of my dreams are so vividly detailed and take place in such well-defined locales (sometimes I somehow know what year it is and it's usually the '90s), often restaurants or personalized rooms (like bedrooms filled with personal effects). Sometimes, it feels like those sorts of dreams are forged from the memories of other people and I've somehow absorbed them. Other times, I dream about giant skulls with sideways mouths eating people alive.

I've had those dreams where I can't move, hyperventilate in a state of half-sleep, dream about losing teeth, dream about not being able to affect anything, punching without effect, the whole shebang.
Since you're an INTJ, and share Ni in common with INFJs, maybe the dreams where you can't move are related to Ni?

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope! Lately, most of my dreams have been about something chasing me. not sure why though
Some people say those dreams have to do with fears you are trying to avoid, but that may or may not be true. I get those dreams also, but in my dreams something is chasing me but I'm paralyzed and can't move.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
That's interesting that you have the type of dreams they say extroverts have. Do you consider yourself an ambivert or primarily introverted? (Some INFJs are ambiverts.)
I'd always considered myself to be quite introverted, but lately, as i've been living around more people all the time at university, I have been feeling more extraverted/energized by people than I used to!

Reactions: emerald sea

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd always considered myself to be quite introverted, but lately, as i've been living around more people all the time at university, I have been feeling more extraverted/energized by people than I used to!
Maybe our dreams are a reflection of how extroverted/introverted we are feeling at the time? Or maybe this article is just plain wrong. :)

I've noticed a pattern in my life that I go through alternating phases (lasting a year or more) of feeling more extroverted with heavy Fe use, then feeling more introverted with intense Ni focus - but always requiring a lot of alone time, regardless. On personality tests my result has almost always been INFJ, but once it was ENFJ on a cognitive functions test. Ambiversion isn't an idea accepted by everyone in typology community, but it seems to have a basis in experience, because some people seem to alternate between dominance of their extroverted function and their introverted function. Maybe it's because of the brain's drive towards balance - an overbalance of one tips the scales? I am sure I am an introvert, but at times my focus changes. Does that sound anything like your experience?

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,477 Posts
Overall, “Introverts were more likely to dream of being unable to influence the world around them and dreamed more often of punching without effect,” the researchers said. “Extroverts, however, dreamed of more active pursuits, such as traveling.”
Hmm I can't say I recall punching without effect in my dreams or have much memory of punching at all...although I have had many super hero dreams where I am doing martial arts, fighting some opponent. So it's weird that I don't recall the punching aspect lol. I used to have them more frequently but not in awhile. Not sure what counts as traveling in dreams. I find myself in different dream landscapes and I would think being chased and traveling (running away) due to that would count more as nightmares than traveling lol.

For instance, introverts dream of their teeth falling out 14.2 percent more often than extroverts.
Hmm that's interesting. I wonder why that is? I do have teeth cracking or teeth problem dreams fairly frequently but obviously I would have no way of confirming whether I'm dreaming about this more often than all the extroverts so I guess I'll take their word for it? Another common dream I have is my tongue swelling up to the point where I can't talk. It's terrifying and frustrating. I'm guessing it has to do with holding too much in that I want to say and feeling stifled by it. The teeth problem dreams are equally as horrifying to me because they feel so real and if that happened to me in real life, I would freak out lol. I wonder if this has anything to do with introverts experiencing more stress than extroverts or something.

Extroverts also remember dreams more often than introverts.
That's also interesting. I wonder why that is. I make an effort to remember my own dreams because I'm interested in analyzing them. Recently I've noticed that when trying to recall a dream, if I remember one dream landscape it will trigger memories of multiple dream landscapes that I've had in the past that are similar to the one I remember (for example, library landscapes). It's like a chain reaction where I get flashback all of the sudden that fire off in my brain. I can see them clearly. I don't always remember the story line attached to each landscape but I have a picture of them in my mind. And the details of the story are more vague. So it's interesting how memories of dreams I've had in the past are not as buried as I think.

As for dreaming about being unable to move....can't say I have that but I do sometimes run in slow motion when I'm being chased in dreams. Perhaps that would be categorized as being the same thing but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I totally relate to not being able to move. This isn't necessarily physical movement, though it ends up being that. But it's more caused by something internal. Having too many choices, fork in the road or people in the way.
I think it's part of Ni as well. Not enough information, I can't just move...

I also have a lot of nightmares like the INFP but this is when I was younger. Not being able to move also feels like a nightmare to me.
I don't usually wonder about the meaning of my dreams because I find them easy to understand.
And fear of losing teeth is as much a real phenomenon.

I do get a variety of experiences that happen around bedtime. I have different kinds of lucid dreams for example. Sometimes I'm just watching while in bed, sometimes I'm there with a body or in an abstract black space (I don't even find this to be a dream).
After a long time I got a common lucid dream, recently, where I was in a real dream world. I was trying to breathe underwater.

Lol I'd love to dream about crushes. If I do, it's a special day! As it is quite rare for me.
I rarely dream friends and parents as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I always dream of flying.
I've never dreamt of being unable to move but I often dream of having difficulty moving forward like each step requires a lot of strength.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's rare for me to be present in a dream, most of the time I'm experiencing the dream from someone elses perspective or just observe the scene. I have pretty weird dreams, most often about life and death in some abandoned, rather dark scenery. They're also often incoherent, like skipping from one dream to another.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Being unable to move is a recurring theme in my dreams. I'm trying to run, but can't quite get my balance under me . I'm trying to sprint but I have too little or too much forward lean to get going. Very frustrating.

I rarely have the naked in class dream, but I do often dream that I show up to a class after taking a month off and walk into a final exam totally unprepared. I also dream that I've blown off a class for months, and I stress about it killing my GPA or getting me expelled. I graduated from college many years ago.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure if these dreams are a metaphoric warning for some procrastination in my current life, or if it is just my subconscious mind trying to resolve the past. Maybe both. They pop up most frequently when I'm under stress with deadlines at work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts