Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine are incredibly fantastic. I'm talking, everything in them is surreal and HUGE. A building that in real life is a skyscraper is like, a whole planet in my dream. I once had a dream that I was see-sawing and I was going so incredibly high in the air that I could see New York City. Like, a BIG NYC. Much bigger than what it is.

Then another one was this roller coaster that seemed to pretty much span an entire country, and I was just riding this thing, seeing the whole country, going up the hugest hills that in real life would literally cause me to have a heart attack, and the creepiest places that in real life would cause me to have a heart attack.

Basically, the IMAGERY in my dreams is absolutely insane. And I have a feeling a lot of you can say the same.

And flying! How many of you occasionally fly in your dreams?

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Dreaming - fascinating stuff that's for sure.

A lot has been said about dreams, in books and by some very smart peoples, but this is my *gut feeling* on them -- I leave this world & go to another realm/dimension, because there's no way on God's Green Earth that my mind could come up with some of the things (and plots) that have occurred in my dreams. I am very thankful that my night times are soooo damn interesting. And I don't even try, to make them so.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think dreams are there to keep you on track for while you are awake, like a compass. It's your unconsciousness putting your consciousness in perspective by reflection and ultimately, to put your consciousness in a direction. When there's balance between the two, you are on the right track.

My most beautiful dream was when I felt one with the universe, floating around in space with lights and abstract creatures everywhere (somewhat like some of the scenes in the fountain, watched the movie after I had the dream), when I woke up and was confronted with reality I was pretty much devastated. My worst dream was when a guy with a tucanhead walked into my room while I was sleeping.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dream of flying, too. I also dream lucidly sometimes. A few years ago my dreaming peaked in lucidity and intensity, where each night it seemed I had endless hours of mesmerizing phantasmagorical adventures where I would go in and out of lucidity. I would consciously alter and create my dreamworld as I went, and everything had such emotional strength that would carry into the waking state. I also flew almost every night, and I would feel the air rushing past my body and would watch as the horizon generated new scenery almost like a computer game.

Right now I dream quite well, but in comparison to what I used to experience, I feel like I'm in a slump. I just don't spend enough time consciously focussing on dreaming during the day to help intensify the dreaming at night, and I don't dream journal right now. I still have beautiful dreams, though, and fly from time to time. Almost every morning I wake up with dreams in my mind, some of which seem to carry such emotional power that I almost want to cry or slip back into the dream again.

·
Registered
444 Posts
have a hard time remembering dreams. but I remember how they make me feel. and based off that, I have some weird, and epic ones. The ones I do remember are more basic though. realistic seeming...like I remember a few weeks ago I married one of my close friends who is in another country for a while and the dream was our life adventures (which we have talked what we want to do of course...about and are very similar). when I wake up from those I just feel...light. like they're more real or more desired than real life.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I rarely ever remember my dreams, but they tend to be more straightforward and cinematic, and I only feel like I'm watching a movie and story. They are fairly strange compared to reality, but nothing really too psychedelic or anything like that. I've taken up the task of writing them down, which isn't hard as it only happens a few times a year, but they're always pretty interesting. If I ever become a musician, I'll already have some stories to write concept albums about lol

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I never fly in my dreams, unless you count the one where my brother killed me and I became a floaty soul.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I fly and/or float quite often. The environment I'm in is usually a twist on real life... sometimes I'm in my current flat but have a massive backyard with swimming pool. Other times I'm driving, but in a completely different car.

I'm pretty sure I fly in my dreams to spite/prove to people I can. Not sure what exactly that represents, but it sure is fun! I also believe it's to prove to myself in each dream that I'm dreaming. I never never get to the point where I can control everything that's happening, but I can control myself, and that's all that matters.

PS. I apologise for all the I's in the above paragraph... I usually try to avoid doing so, but have failed miserably this time :(

·
Registered
733 Posts
Flying is the best! I have seriously woken up in the middle of the morning with a huge smile on my face, the rest of my day already made by having had a good flight. Though usually I am only able to 'jump' really high and get decent floatage on the way back down. I like transitions between dreams. I'll be involved in some dramatic scenario on the beach, when a tidal wave I can't run away from approaches, and when it hits, instead of being underwater I am in London at nighttime! Lucid dreams are the best. I look straight at my hand to see if it's weird the first sign of something impossible happening; like trying to get down the staircase from the porch of some houseparty, xcept I'm stuck climbing halfway because the staircase is upside down! That's my cue for a patented floating jump (-:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm I don't really fly in my dreams, but the ones I remember are pretty vivid like yours. They also tend to be rather disturbing and very Edgar Allen Poe-ish! Some day I'll write a book of short stories based on them :crazy: Do you think imagination plays any part in the oddness of dreams? Maybe INFPs are good night dreamers as well as day dreamers.

I hate it when I can't remember what I dreamed about, but the feeling and atmosphere of the dream stays with me all day... does that happen to anyone else? I just wake up feeling a certain way and it takes ages for it to wear off.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've only ever flown once in my dreams..
Usually my dreams are about water.
It's usually about tidal waves and floods.
they're pretty scary..
of course, I'm kind of afraid of pictures of tidal waves and sunken ships so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've had very vivid dreams ever since I can remember. Most take place on worlds far away from here, or perhaps parallel worlds and realities. The "rules" such as there are, tend to reflect some of the things that I desire to have consistency with, but those are also disregarded. I dream in all my senses, sight, taste, smell, touch, sound... sometimes one becomes another. I also feel, with my heart and soul, the world that I am in. I don't know how to describe that one so much, but it is something I crave to feel again on a near daily basis. If you've read Wheel of Time and know of Tel'aran'rhiod then you have an idea of what it is that I search for as I sleep.

Dreams are my way to know that I'm doing alright emotionally and mentally. When I am having dreams that feel as real as where I am as I'm typing this out to you then I know I'm okay. The less substance my dreams have the more withdrawn and removed I am from life in general.

As for flying dreams, I've only done that a few times when I was experiencing lucid dreams. Lovely creatures those. I think I may have to start keeping a dream journal and whatnot again so I can start finding my way toward those. :)

Reactions: Lad and whiterwair

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Once I had a very vivid religious dream, which is entirely weird because I am not religious whatsoever.

In this story, I was situationally aware from the get-go. I knew it was a dream, but I just followed my curiosity.

The setting was generally like Jack and the Beanstalk. I was a tiny insignificant figure in a much larger wooden home, similar to a minimalist lumberjack cabin. It had all the basic necessities, such as a table, chair, etc, but had no colors that stood out whatsoever.

Nonetheless, I climbed my way up to the top of the table only to see a large amount of dust encasing it. Based on my size, the dust looked like millions of snowflakes, each beautiful and unique in their own way.

I suddenly heard a door open to the home and felt the vibrations rattle the entire room. It was not an aggressive rhythm, but still a powerful one. I could only see the lower portion of this figure as he walked towards the table. I can only recall a prominent, yet simple long robe and simplistic brown sandals.

As he moved towards me, I felt like I couldn't properly maintain my balance, yet I did not feel threatened. He placed a book on the table that blew all the dust away like an abundance flower pedals blowing casually through the wind. I inquisitively looked at the title of the book and it said "The Holy Bible."

That's when something in my mind just clicked and put everything together. My body began to rattle, and I felt an overwhelming amount of pressure on every molecule of my body, as if I was swimming in the deepest depths of the ocean. I knew if this kept up I was going to wake up, but I knew I would never have this opportunity again and I forced my head up to look at this persons face. I managed to look at this figure, but in the milliseconds it takes your eyes to focus on what it is you're looking at, I started uncontrollably crying. I ended up seeing nothing except a blurred silhouette.

I woke up shaking as if I had a seizure (no past documented cases, no medical problems), with sweat dripping all over my body (room temperature was normal, no flu or sickness), and an excessive amount of tears coming from my eyes (I almost never cry in general, and I have not had any traumatic experiences that this may relate to).

I still wonder about all that and how powerful our dreams can actually be. I don't think it was a sign, and I'm still not religious, but I am very intrigued that something, even if it was myself, could completely overwhelm me.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've had lots of flying dreams. More of them when I was a teenager/early 20's. It's so fun. In my dreams, all you have to do is run really fast and jump and then all of a sudden you can fly. But you have to keep your mind right or else you will start to sink. Kind of like Peter Pan, I guess. I fly over my city and over rolling green fields, feeling free as could be! It's wonderful.

Another common dream incident for me is a key phrase. I will come up with a word or phrase that is very important, or that I say at just the right time. Or I come up with puns and riddles. ... yeah I dream a lot about puns. My mind is always making them up, playing with words. Sometimes I even dream about letters and then I scramble them up and come up with new, hidden words. Words play an important part in my dreams. Anyone else have important word-dreams?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Interesting... I am jealous of people who have ecstatic, one-with-the-universe dreams. Every once in a while I will wake up in a dream and instead of doing things, I will relax and end up being swept around watching stuff happen without me being involved. I like how dreams are like movies, a story happening with emotional involvement that can always suck you in and take away your awareness that it's not real. Like seeing police run everywhere, and you automatically know that they are chasing a murderer and so on and so forth, the whole story behind it, without ever seeing the guy they're chasing. There's something about flying that is powerful and freeing, like symbolically being able to overcome life's problems. Maybe us infp's are all wounded healers, who would've become shamans if we were born 5 thousand years ago. There are lots of cool lucid dreaming things to do. My favorite is finding a key to 'your house' in your pocket, and then finding your house and walking inside! Mine was dark wood, with a spiral staircase going straight into a wall, and Jesus on a table impaled by a giant nail! Weird! Anyways, I could post all day about dreams, I wish I still journaled, great thread.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hmm I don't really fly in my dreams, but the ones I remember are pretty vivid like yours. They also tend to be rather disturbing and very Edgar Allen Poe-ish! Some day I'll write a book of short stories based on them :crazy: Do you think imagination plays any part in the oddness of dreams? Maybe INFPs are good night dreamers as well as day dreamers.

I hate it when I can't remember what I dreamed about, but the feeling and atmosphere of the dream stays with me all day... does that happen to anyone else? I just wake up feeling a certain way and it takes ages for it to wear off.
Imagination plays into every part of dreaming, without it, you cannot dream of something new and different, only varying themes and moments from every day life.

As for not being able to remember dreams but still being affected by them, I've always been affected by dreams more than even reality. My baseline mood is set by the night, not by the day, though the day will of course have greater influence as it passes. I know that there were some days/weeks that were better or worse only because of my dreams at those times. I should have paid more attention to them, but live and learn.

Ironically enough, the most intense emotions I have felt have always been in my dreams. There is one dream in particular that I will always remember and still get an echo of the anger, hate, and desire for vengeance when I think of it. I have never felt so much of any of those emotions in my life as I did in that dream. I couldn't talk to my boyfriend at the time for well over a week without feeling all those and snapped at him for absolutely no reason-at least as far as he could see. It was bad. :dry: Again with the needing to learn and act on dreams rather than waiting for my conscious mind to get it, I'm rather slow in such things.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Another common dream incident for me is a key phrase. I will come up with a word or phrase that is very important, or that I say at just the right time. Or I come up with puns and riddles. ... yeah I dream a lot about puns. My mind is always making them up, playing with words. Sometimes I even dream about letters and then I scramble them up and come up with new, hidden words. Words play an important part in my dreams. Anyone else have important word-dreams?
I used to never read in dreams or at times when I became lucid, be able to when I saw letters.. but these past few months I am finding and reading words quite often. I've had a couple of library dreams even. I always read very slowly, letter by letter and feel like I'm memorizing it (I've lost quite a few on waking, however). Once when I accidentally drank coffee which had caffeine in it in the evening, I couldn't sleep all night and finally around 8 am I started to feel very tired and fell asleep.. and I had a dream where I appeared in my bedroom, but in a different dimension, and I saw a piece of string tied to my wrist with the words "Molgiers" on a tag. Folgiers is a brand of coffee where I live lol...

I also get words in Japanese and then I have to translate them, which is fun

I've never had a dream where I've flown :bored:

·
Registered
733 Posts
This is totally off topic, but I used to have a dream pillow made out of a bunch of herbs, kept a watch that went off once an hour to remind me that I might be dreamin'. Dream journaled, and then actually ended up smoking mugwort, hahaha, to get lucid dreams and stuff. I swear by it, it makes you sleepy and gives you intense dreams. Oh my God I used to smoke mugwort nightly for like five months, I love dreams. I'm gonna need to start writing them down again, this stuff is invigorating.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hmm, I have wonderful dreams, but I tend to forget very quickly. I think the best dream was when I was on a boat with mice wearing cute clothing, singing about something, as if it was a Disney film. :confused: Worst was something about vampires and hippos and alligators, but I'd rather not go into it. XD
Lucid dreaming- I have tried, and failed a bit, but sometimes it happens naturally. I love it everytime.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts