Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Horrible Dreams

(This turned out to be much longer then I intended, I apologize for the extreme length, but please read.)

I am curious to what types of dreams other people here in the forums typically have, and if there is any correlation to certain types of dreams, and MBTI typing. I know there probably isn't at all, because dreams themselves are far from an exact science, and lack a factual purpose. It's something that perplexes everyone, because we generally want to know why we have dreams, and what the meaning is of the particular dream we had. No science in the world can answer that question with fact. There are several theories as to why we dream, and the cycles of our dreams, their length, and all sorts of other details, but the question still remains: Why do we dream, what we dream?

I was speaking with a friend about a particular dream that I had, and it floored him. He told me his dreams were always "murky" in a sense, and that he couldn't see clearly or make out what was going on, although he always got the general idea. That in turn shocked me, because my dreams are always crystal clear, like a movie, are generally pretty long, and make perfect sense. And also his dreams tended to always follow a similar course. He would most times dream that someone was trying to take something from him. He didn't know what they were trying to take, or what he was protecting, just that someone was taking something of importance to him without reason, and he was protecting it. My dreams are always varied on their subject, or general point. So I wonder if there is also a difference of dreams regarding a female mind, vs. a male mind, and if MBTI type could play into it.

Anyways, I thought I would share a few of my dreams with you, to help you understand what it's like in my head when I'm dreaming. Recently, my dreams have been very disturbing. I've never had dreams like this in my life, so I often wonder why now all of a sudden I'm having dreams like this. They are so disturbing to me, because my dreams are very vivid, and I often cannot set them apart from reality, while I'm dreaming them. It's a good thing when my dreams are comical, or of a "happy" sense, but recently this detail in my dreams, has scared me to death.

The Mother Dream

I dreamed that I was asleep, and I had been woken up. I'm laying there listening to something, wasn't sure yet what it was, trying to figure it out. I sat up in my bed, which was on the floor in my mothers bedroom, and then I realized what I was hearing. My mother was asleep in her bed, and was talking in her sleep. I sat there for a second and tried to make out what she was saying, but I couldn't. So I got out of my bed, and crawled up into her bed beside her, so that I could hear her better. She was laying on her back, with her arms crossed over her stomach, and the blankets pulled up just to where her arms were resting on her stomach. When I heard what she was saying, I started to cry. I covered my mouth with my hand, and just sat there for a few seconds in shock at what I was hearing come out of her mouth. This is what she was saying, "I know what you did to those babies. You killed those babies didn't you". She was saying it in a normal speaking voice, and after about the fourth time of her saying it, I couldn't take it anymore, and started to shake her, to try and wake her up. She never stopped. I started yelling at her, in her face, while shaking her, trying to shut her up, or wake her up. She never stopped. She just kept repeating that same phrase over and over again, and I was in a fit of crying, and fear, and disgust, while shaking her and screaming at her in a failed attempt to make her to stop. She never did. And then I woke up.

That dream was so real to me, it took me about an hour to fall back to sleep after I woke up from that. It freaked me out, and I cannot make any sense of why I had a dream like that. I've never had an abortion, or even been pregnant, or harmed a child in my life, so I cannot make sense of why my own mother would accuse me of doing something that horrible, in a dream. The contents of that dream still bother me to this day.

The Lady on the Building Dream

I dreamed I was watching this woman on top of this building. It was about 12 stories tall, and yet I was watching her as though she was only about 15 feet from me, but I'm standing on the ground. My vision was zoomed in on her. She wasn't aware of my presence, as I watched. I never said anything, and neither did she. But the very strange thing was, was that I could hear in my head, all of the thoughts she was having. She was standing there contemplating jumping. I remember in particular hearing her say these two things, "If you do it, there is no going back.", and also another voice in her head said, "Don't do it". I had completely lost track of the physical woman herself, as I was totally involved in deciphering the arguing voices in her head, when all of a sudden, she pulls out a knife, and slits her own throat, and jumps. As she was falling, the last thing I heard from her thoughts was, "You did it." It was said with pride. And then I woke up.

That is a very strange dream in of itself, but what I found so strange about it, was that I had no reaction to any of it. I knew what she was going to do, and yet I didn't try to stop her. When I saw her slit her own throat, my pulse didn't even change. I watched it as though it were something I had seen a million times. I was disgusted at myself for not trying to stop her, and not having a reaction upon witnessing this. It was like watching someone take out the trash. It was so ordinary to me.

I'll share one more recent dream, because this one is just insane.

I Cut Off His Skin Dream

I dreamed that it was very dark, and I was on a beach, under a dock of some sorts. The water was really low, so there was about 10 feet of space between the dock, and the sand. There was a canoe that was overturned under this dock, and laying parallel to the dock. This dock stretched way out into the ocean, and was probably a good 40 feet wide. There was a man wearing a leather jacket, laying face down in the sand. I didn't witness myself kill him, but I knew that I had. I also felt a sense of extreme urgency. And I also felt as though someone, or something, was after me. "They", whoever or whatever "they" were, is what told me to kill me this man, and if I did not comply, they would kill me instead. So I'm kneeling in the sand next to this dead man laying face down in the sand. I remove his leather jacket, and his shirt. He had a tattoo on his right shoulder blade, a fairly large one. I pull this huge knife out of somewhere (it was clean so I doubt that is what I used to kill him with), and I cut this tattoo off of his back, and rolled it up like a piece of paper, and put it in this pouch I had on my side. There was no blood when I cut his flesh off of his back. I also took a black rope bracelet that he was wearing from his right wrist, and a silver ring that was on the ring finger of his right hand, and also placed those items in the pouch. I remember feeling nothing after that as I ran off, except that I knew I had done as was asked of me, and that my life was no longer in extreme danger. Then I woke up.

I do not know why my dreams have been so insane lately. There was about a 1 week time frame there for awhile, where I was afraid to go to sleep, because I was scared to death of what I might dream. I wish there were a way for me to control what I dream about. I've heard of lucid dreaming (I think that's what it's called), or the practice of being aware that you are dreaming, while you're dreaming, and being able to control your dreams. I can't do it, I have tried.

Something else I should also mention, I tend to have a lot of dreams where I can physically feel things. Example, I was on fire once in a dream, in that dream I could feel the flesh being burned from my body, it hurt like you cannot imagine. I woke up in a damn fit patting myself, and rubbing my body where it hurt, because I was certain that I was on fire. To my surprise when I became alert enough to realize what was going on, I wasn't really on fire after all.

Anyways, please share your dreams. I'd like to know what you feel, either physically or emotionally, how vivid and detailed your dreams are, your age, whether you are male or female, and what your MBTI type is. Also I'd like to know how often you remember your dreams. And if anyone can please tell me that I am not crazy just for having crazy dreams, it would make me feel much better, and I'd appreciate it. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nah, you aren't crazy. Nobody can control what they dream.

My most vivid dreams are zombie dreams and apocalypse/terrorist dreams of all things.

One was pretty absurd in that it started off serious with airplanes dropping bombs. But then airplanes turned into flying drum kits and trash cans, and bombs turned into puppies with helium filled balloons tied to their tail so they floated. It left my dream self wondering "wtf :confused:"

One of my zombie dreams started off at a baseball game. I was with my friends and my SO at the time and my neighbor, an old man. He started handing out his will on index cards, giving each of us a different part of his property. Like he gave one person the yard, another person the garage, one the house etc. Then fast forward to some point in the future and I was getting pulled over for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There had been a murder, and police were trying to gather information. Later I found out that it was the old man who lived in the house behind me. I launch a personal investigation to find out how he died. I'm in the house and I meet his ghost and somehow he was able to let me experience this flash back of his last memory. We're in the living room watching TV when suddenly things go weird, there's a flash of light, and a zombie child with green eyes is standing in the doorway glaring at him, and the glare kills him instantly. Then it ends with me and my friends trying to figure out how to deal with the stuff we inherited from the index cards because the people who had the yard didn't want a haunted house on their property and the people with the house refused to knock it down etc.

Those are just a few, but thats how ridiculous they can be. I've had many many other kinds of dreams, but those ones tend to be the most memorable.

As for your last couple questions, female, 20, ENTP. Dream are extremely vivid in bright color. I am strange though in that I am usually always somehow aware that its a dream. Generally the only thing my dream self "feels" is stress or confusion. I might have a ton of horror like zombie and apocalypse dreams, but I've never been scared or frightened and wouldn't call them nightmares. I tend to use Ni a lot in my dreams too.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I very rarely remember my dreams. When I do, they're often mundane. They don't usually make sense, they're just kind of a stream of consciousness (only I'm unconscious...) with no structure or apparent meaning. People change into other people, places are in the wrong place (like I'll walk from the backyard of a house into a different house, and within the house will be a room from a different house again).

One of the most common theme to my dreams will be a big event, like my wedding or something, that I really want to run perfectly. But nobody else seems to care, and all my plans just fall apart and it turns out to be terrible...

Another is when something scary is happening - I can't really think of any specific examples, just that I feel threatened. And I try to scream but can't, I can't move, and am totally powerless.

When I'm sick or something, my dreams are really abstract. Like I just have visions of shapes and colours, moving. My dreams aren't usually vivid at all, but I have this memory of a really vivid dream that was just yellow circles slowly pulsing.

My emotional response is usually the same as it would be if it were to actually happen. Sometimes I get frustrated that other people in my dream are acting strangely, whereas I'm being completely rational.

And... female, 17, ISFJ. I very rarely remember them, two or three times a month if I'm lucky. :)

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I don't dream (well, obviously I do, but I can't remember anything, may it be factually or emotionally) - my sleep is a black void ranging from 6 to 12 hours dependent on how tired I am. Not the most satisfactory thing in the world, but still better than dreaming something completely screwed up.

Well, once or twice a year I actually dream, but I forget what it was quite quickly. When I was younger I dreamed more, sometimes even had the same dream repeatedly though in the second run through I actively remembered to have dreamed it already. Was kind of amusing.

I sleep like a rock, the only times I appear to be dreaming is if I sleep lightly, such as a quick afternoon nap, but for the exception that I don't take naps.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Unfortunately, science still hasn't figured out what dreams are all about. Everything is all theory =(

As for me, I generally have nightmares, but I take a bit of a different approach and at times, induce them intentionally using melatonin (not a guarantee, but more often than not). Mostly my nightmares are along the lines of hopelessness, conflict, or darkness (INFP). I'm not depressed in any way, nor do I suffer from any mental disorders (that I know of :D).

While naturally occurring, melatonin will often turn you into a bit of a masochist. It does not discriminate, it will delve into your thoughts and display that which horrifies you most. Then, it will lock you in a psychological prison that will make it almost impossible to wake yourself up from.

You have 3 options...
Try to maintain your sanity by waiting for the morning to come.
Lose a psychological battle against yourself only to come out disturbed and weaker.
Or battle through it and await a new challenge the next time you sleep.

Many people take a complacent approach to dreaming. Just sit back, relax, and let your imagination takeover. What am I watching? A movie? As you know, that makes time fly rather quickly. It may give you temporary enjoyment and have a few one liners to give you something to think about, but you'll usually forget most of it.

Someone asked me the other night why I self-induce nightmares and dreams. It's because the more cognitively aware you are, the less you impair yourself in the fantasy realm. If you understand what is going on and accept what is in front of you, you gain the power to delay time while you're asleep. You can turn those 6-8 hours into what may seem like days. In some ways, it's like extending your life span.

Right now I'm running on 4 official hours of sleep and feel more energized than ever. I also had a rare non-nightmare which gave me a lot of insight regarding a situation in my life. Instead of my dreams being a temporary escape, I'm going to use it as a form of inspiration to take a proactive approach to life.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
^ science is all theory. "Just a theory" means nothing.

We know a lot more about the function of sleep today than we used to.

The dreams I remember seem to be somewhat epic. I'm always doing some kind of task to defeat something. They frequently involve people from my past. Some of them are too abstract to actually chronicle. I had a dream the other day about cardboard zombies, but what actually happened in it, I can't define coherently. I would have to create images in order to explain it. Which probably suggests what parts of the brain are more active in certain parts of the sleep stages/cycles. I've dreamed of words/music only once.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
The theory that struck me as quite reliable was one that said that dreams are connected to the persons emotional life. Sleep itself, as far as I know, does nothing more but give our brain some rest to process whatever it has gathered over the wake time.

I'm very emotionally detached and hardly ever dream. My emotional being is stable, last but not least because I'm typically not even aware it exists. If I'm thrown off balance by anything chances of me dreaming drastically increase compared to my regular sleeping experience. From my personal experiences the theory is quite spot on.

My INFJ friend dreams all the time, the most weird things on top of it. INFJs are known to be giant bags of emotions, so putting that to direct comparison to a person that isn't much in touch with its emotional department it further strengthens the theory.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
The theory that struck me as quite reliable was one that said that dreams are connected to the persons emotional life. Sleep itself, as far as I know, does nothing more but give our brain some rest to process whatever it has gathered over the wake time.

I'm very emotionally detached and hardly ever dream. My emotional being is stable, last but not least because I'm typically not even aware it exists. If I'm thrown off balance by anything chances of me dreaming drastically increase compared to my regular sleeping experience. From my personal experiences the theory is quite spot on.

My INFJ friend dreams all the time, the most weird things on top of it. INFJs are known to be giant bags of emotions, so putting that to direct comparison to a person that isn't much in touch with its emotional department it further strengthens the theory.
From what i've read all human individuals show brain activity indicating dreaming (rem) during sleep. Whether you remember what you've dreamed is another story.Dream recall seems to be a natural tendency for some, but is generally a "skill" one learns.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
From what i've read all human individuals show brain activity indicating dreaming (rem) during sleep. Whether you remember what you've dreamed is another story.Dream recall seems to be a natural tendency for some, but is generally a "skill" one learns.
Certainly everyone dreams, but it appears that if I'm emotionally unstable or shaken I'm a lot more likely to dream 'consciously' or whatever you want to label the different types of dreaming. As stated above my regular sleeping experience equals 6 to 12 hours of blackness.

When I however go to bed the day after I suddenly get a brainflash which zaps me (as I'm laying down and getting ready to sleep) which recalls something I musta have felt / dreamed during the night before. It's nothing specific though (image wise) and only a momentum gone within a few seconds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Last night I dreamt that I was in the desert with an Ibex whom I instinctively knew to be an abandoned runt of the litter, and an unknown deeply sun-tanned man of about twenty years of age.
The desert was teeming with families, husband and wife, children laughing running amok chasing balloons, and blue and violet flowers were blossoming from the suncracked earth.
We wandered into a bottle-neck shaped ravine, all the while fascinated by the desert in its full bloom! The wonder and aesthetic proved to be short-lived as a herd of wildebeests built with sheer power and muscle approached our misfit threesome. It was at this moment that I noticed the Ibex's horns had grown by at least three feet in length! This lowly runt of an Ibex, with its large and sharpened horns, had begun, against all odds, to repel the wildebeests by means of ramming and goring the bastards with his freshly acquired skullswords! What happened next nearly made me rip my clothes off in astonishment!
After kicking the shit out of about a third of the savage beasts, I shit you not when he turned his head behind him, looked me directly in the eyes, and ordered me to "get out of here, I'll fend them off as long as I can. Go on without me..."
After fleeing from the wildebeests and leaving the best friend I've ever had behind to die, I naturally began to socialize with this mysterious man who had been alongside me through this whole endeavor, but I hadn't really gotten to know.
"Where are you from?" I inquired, in hopes of dispelling the wave of awkwardness that had washed over us in our journey.
The man turned to me and stammered with the utmost disapproval "I.....I'm from......Islam.."

Once I woke up I realized Islam is not a country. Am I racist?

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is true, and similar to my experience.

It's quite related to our emotional state. When I feel peaceful, I don't dream. In other cases it's just a representation of my emotion. I never had any crazy destructive dream.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I am an ENTP, and usully my dreams are pretty trippy, however I'll keep it short. My dreams correlate with times in my life, so here's the timeline...

8th - 10th grade: most vivid dreams of my life. Usually involving dinosaurs (usually blue velociraptors) , things chasing me, but me outsmarting them. color significance (like color-changing robot, or having color choices), several tv/movie characters, lots of action

11th-12th grade: I only remember one dream from that time. I was poseidon's relative or something? I had control of water and it was in a school setting. still lots of action, but a bit different.

last year: I remember a dream with an impersonator, a strange building, leaking pipes on one end of dark, concrete building interior, bright outside. not as much action, but more interaction and conversation.

this year: I had a dream about a wedding or something. my mom and me on a trail ride, guy trying to sell a knife, (in the dream I thought he was advertising the leather around it), soccer moms w/kids, at the precipice of my wedding, someone tries to interfere with me getting there, swords and spells, lots of cakes, past boyfriend stealer.
btw I'm single, have never been engaged or in love, or have someone try and steal a boyfriend away from me

yeah... my dreams change with what's going on (which is expected), but man, those dreams from the first period mentioned are so much fun to remember.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts