Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I never got into drinking when I became of legal age. I didn’t like the taste and didn’t see the point in social drinking, so imagine my surprise when I was initially met with bewilderment by all my friends.

How often do you guys drink alcoholic beverages, and when/where/why/with whom? Thanks.

Also this isn’t a “convice me I should drink” thread. I just want to see what you guys think.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Per month, maybe two or three times I'll have 16-30 units of alcohol at a setting. I wouldn't bother consuming the calories if I'm not going to at least have 12 drinks or so. So, 30-50 drinks per month, I guess is accurate.

ETA yes, I drink alone. That way I never get in fights with anyone except the voices in my head :)

For reference, a fifth of whiskey has about 17 drinks, a 5 liter box of wine has about 34 drinks, and a 24 oz can of 10.6% beer has about four drinks. Those are pretty much the only things I'll buy. I also make wine pretty often -- but it's disgusting, like you'd be better off drinking mouthwash or cologne, probably.

I like it well enough -- nice change of pace (I don't really have any hobbies that don't feel like hard mental work to me). I usually just watch a few movies, maybe write some dialogue in a notebook, listen to some rock and roll, or in the summer months, if some shitty neighbors are having a loud conversation I can hear and disapprove of, yell out the window "I'm going to rape you to death with a knife, you fat pig, watch your back." That one's true. Nothing came of that, except neighbors don't generally fuck with me except maybe a very reserved "Hi!" Another good one, a few years ago, I was up at my condo's clubhouse using the wifi and some asshole started fucking with me, I think trying to goad me into taking a swing at him as an excuse to brawl. Apparently I said "I'm going to break your dick off and shove it up your girlfriend's ass." That one got a nice interview with the county sheriff, but nothing happened to me. Also, been taken to the town drunk tank, nerve damage from the handcuffs that was annoying. No charges, no record from that one.

So, yeah, without continuing that list of amusing anecdotes, you're damned right I drink alone. I'm not a mean drunk -- I'm an asshole sober as a judge -- just wildly unpredictable, so I just sit in my chair at home and take a little mental vacation now and then.

However, I find that while I never get hangovers, there are some brain damage-like effects that persist a few days afterwards, although I feel I've repaired the more serious brain damage from the years I was drinking much more heavily.

Not part of a balanced diet, but, eh, that's my answer to the OP.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I'll have some whiskey on occasion. But I don't drink with friends or in public. I'd never compromise myself in public like that. It's in the comfort of my own place, when I just want to relax and take the edge off. I find a glass of Aberlour, Jack Daniels or Glenkinchie now and then helps in this regard.

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
i gave up drinking when i was pregnant and then breastfeeding - and then bare-bottom poor and then after that as a totally single parent of a pretty high-demand kid. so it just faded out of my life and i never got myself back into it. now it's just easier not to do it than it is to do it; my threshold has gotten so low that half a guinness will put me to sleep and it's just never worth the hassle of being sleepy when i still have to get myself home.

i feel like most forms of alcohol spoil the taste of their own selves by having alcohol in them anyway. i actually like quite a few things - i'm a sucker for really intense and/or really sweet liqueurs. it's just the actual chemical compound that is the alcohol part . . . i can't think of anything that tastes better for having that factor to it.

Reactions: Catwalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Drinking isn't something I like to do. I did it for the first time in my senior year of college, trying to get close to a woman who I liked and who I knew would be present at a happy hour event. As an aside, engaging in something most people do for fun to achieve a very specific end is probably one of the more INTJ things one can do.

I have done it a few more times since then, but overall I find the taste to be foul and the results to be unpleasant. I haven't drunk alcohol in over a year, and I sometimes go with coworkers to happy hours, but I usually just order soda there. Alcohol has little to no appeal to me, and I fear the loss of control.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Not a fan. The taste is gross [minus limoncello] and being drunk isn't fun no matter what those people you're hanging out with say. I've had that experience twice and will not repeat it again.

The only time I drink is for a toast at a celebration and even then, I mix it with water or just take a sip and leave it.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Does coffee count? If anything, that is my alcohol. :p

Joking aside, I will have a glass of <insert name of alcohol here> if the occasion demands it, but otherwise, no, I do not actively partake in such an activity. The taste and the consequences of alcohol are something that I find distasteful.

Reactions: Asmodaeus

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
How often do you guys drink alcoholic beverages, and when/where/why/with whom? Thanks.
I drink mostly cocktail(s)/mixed drinks; when I go out (depending on the locality). I drink cheap wines from the liquor store at home. I usually do it with myself (&) one other humanoid, or at a small gathering setting (&) they thankfully just happen to have a nice cocktail bowl to take the edge off. I enjoy trying [new] things, as well, thus I have a feel for what I like; which is generally on the sweet side.

The only beer I find myself [consistently] liking is the foamy smooth Guinness that tastes like delicious coffee.

I am not much fixated on the 'social-aspects'; or how I look in relation to other humanoids/people, even if I socially participate.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I never drink. Same as you, I never liked the taste. If I had to say, the main reason I never developed a taste for it is that being an outcast in high school I was never invited in parties or anything. I was never exposed to it in any way shape or form. I left high school with little to no friends which means I never went out to bars or anything either.

I seriously just assumed bars were holes for old drunkards until my mid 20s when I was somewhat introduced to the idea of social drinking.

I tried taking a sip of wine, champagne or beer once every so often but I just don't see why people enjoy alcohol at all. Same with coffee, the thing is just nasty.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
Hi.

I never got into drinking when I became of legal age. I didn’t like the taste and didn’t see the point in social drinking, so imagine my surprise when I was initially met with bewilderment by all my friends.

Also this isn’t a “convice me I should drink” thread. I just want to see what you guys think.
Never really drank much. Took first sip at 20, didn't like it. Got drunk about a handful of times, all after I was legal age. Now, I drink about a shot of wine mixed with sprite at family functions about zero - one times a year. One year something went wrong and I got tipsy and laughed during the prayer. My dad was amused, as he had never seen me even remotely uncomposed, but the family didn't get any further performances out of me.

Since buying our new house in August, me and my (INTP) partner have been purchasing some alcoholic beverages because we have a wet bar, so it must serve a purpose. So over the past two months, I've drank about a shot of wine every 4 days or so. I guess it's just not my thing. I'd like to get to a point where I know enough to know the basics about wine, and make a few mixed drinks. But beyond that, actually drinking it isn't really that appealing to me. Even since we've moved, we've only been playing the role of fancy Americans who have a wet bar so must drink wine and fill the rack with weirdness. I'm sure we'll get tired of it by January and go back to just using wine for cooking. I'm 36 now, for age references.

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi.

Depends on time of year and what's going on. I tend to drink more in the fall because I go out to a sports bar almost weekly with my sister and some of her friends to watch football and I'll have a couple drinks (usually cider or a diet coke with some sort of liquor). In the summers, my friends will have a couple BBQ's a month and I'll have 2-3 drinks there. If I'm having a nice dinner out, I'll have a drink or two. When I was visiting my SO this summer, we found some nice ciders and had drinks a couple nights at home with dinner. I don't generally drink on my own at all - maybe 3 or 4 times ever I've picked up some cider at a store because it was a new kind I wanted to try and had it on my own but usually I don't.

When I do drink, it's just because there's a nice occasion/excuse to and I do like feeling pleasantly buzzed. It's a little relaxing in it's own way. But I've never been fall-down drunk or anything like that, even in undergrad where I really went drinking a lot (early 20's. I'm 32 now). Also helps that I tend to get to buzzed pretty easily so I don't need many. I also do truly enjoy the taste of a lot of drinks - hard cider being my favorite. But I don't like being extremely drunk and I also don't think the drinks are worth all the calories, so I'm pretty moderate when I do drink.

There will be months at a time (usually winter/spring) where I have nothing and then I have a few in one night, depending. So, it really just varies. Overall averaged out over a year, probably 2-4 drinks a month.

I don't get surprised when I meet people who don't drink though. Everyone has their likes/dislikes (or have poor history with alcohol and etc.)

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was late to the "controlled substances" party on the whole. I was living in London when I was 18-19 and maybe once had a glass of wine with dinner. Even after turning 21 in the US, I didn't really start experimenting with drinking/other things until 24 or so. My parents are addicts and between that and my natural inhibition I always had a lot of caution.

At around 24-25 I became a bit more willing to experiment occasionally. Still holds: I'm 28, I drink occasionally and selectively, and go through periods where I may drink more regularly before settling into subsequent periods of drinking not at all. I've been black out drunk once, and glad it happened though I have no plans to do it again - it was, you know, interesting. The hangover was Jon-Snow-Back-From-The-Dead levels of weird, pretty sure I actually heard St. Peter calling.

I mainly drink when there are drinks available I like the taste of, but I do like being edge-of-tipsy when I have something involved to write because it lubricates my brain. I just save everything in Word and edit/proofread it the next morning after some waffles.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Whenever. Typically with certain meals.

Wherever. Typically at restaurants or at home.

I'm a beer connoisseur.

with whom?
With anyone, typically friends, but also by myself if I'm the mood for a particular combination. I like to pair a nice upscale beer up with a well-crafted meal. For example, an English-style brown ale with steak or a Slovak-style pilsner with fish. I especially love oatmeal stout on the malty side of the spectrum, but also well-balanced pilsners like Golden Pheasant.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I have never drunk and I don't think I ever want to drink. From what I see in the world, the risk of being drunk can result in you doing stupid things that can destroy your reputation forever. I guard my reputation carefully and that's a risk I don't want to take.

That being said, I have used alcohol in cooking, whether it be making a nice tiramisu with coffee liquor or concocting a rum-flavored ice cream with friends.

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
Occasionally I like sipping wine and spirits, either alone or with people who are VERY close to me. The point is to enjoy the moment and to appreciate the taste. Moreover, drinking wine regularly in several contexts is a part of my cultural background so it’s not exactly uncommon.

However, my favourite beverage isn’t even alcoholic...

:laughing: :kitteh:

Reactions: Ohndot and Agent X

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm a very shitty alcoholic. I always plan that in the evening I'll watch some series and have a glass of whisky while watching. But then I'm at the computer, checking emails and stuff and then I'm done with it and I play the show and then I realize I wanted to get the whisky, but I don't want to pause the show to go to the fridge to get the drink, so I'm like, OK, tomorrow, and it just keeps going on...

So I like an occassional drink, but mostly I have other things to do. I got really wasted a few times on some of the few parties I've been to, to the point of not remembering it, but I like to think I mostly don't remember anything because of parties not being intellectually stimulating, more like boring and unremarkable. Also I'm poor, and quality drinks are expensive as hell.

·
Registered
215 Posts
every friday after work i pick up a 24 case of beer and a 10pack of mixed drinks, tends to be gone by monday

I feel as though i should stop this habit now as its starting to feel boring to me and also the health benefits haha

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have mixed feelings toward drinking. At some point in my teenage years (I think I was 17) I decided to to see what it feels like to get drunk... and I liked it (even though there were serious negative consequences). What I got out of it is some form of carelessness and irrational happiness. Being very introverted, this was great as it allowed me to say and do things without worrying about the consequences. I can say it was liberating. This attitude has changed a lot in the years.

The problems with drinking for me is that sometimes things go bad - I say or do something stupid that I regret; I'm dysfunctional the next day. The other issue is that almost all of my activities require mental effort so drinking basically prevents me from doing anything else - once I start drinking, I cannot do anything else until I get sober. This has lead me to wander around the streets in the city where I lived because I couldn't sleep and couldn't do anything else. I also forget a lot when drinking so most conversations I had usually get lost.

Nowadays the benefits of drinking seem minor as I have learned to "overcome" to an extent my introversion. My mindset has changed to being more responsible and the people around me no longer drink that much. I rarely have desire to get drunk.

I drink beer when outside with people but in small quantities. I do it mostly because I'm convinced sweet drinks have more negative effects and I kind of like the taste of beer. I have never had desire to drink when alone (I guess I'm a "social drinker").

·
Registered
4 Posts
I almost never drink. I don’t love the taste, and I especially don’t love the feeling that comes from having too much. Maybe one drink every few months at a social gathering, but it’s not something I would miss if the world’s supply of alcohol suddenly evaporated.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts