Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
im not a 'drummer' but i guess im what u would call a table beater ... lol. idk where it comes from but i take any type of box, bucket, table, plastic, metal w/e and can just drum for hours.. its the most amazing thing cuz i dont think when i do it im in a totally diff world and my hands are controlling themselves.. its amazing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
nope i cant move all my appendages together in sync, guitar much easier lol, plus you can compose way easier on it, that and piano are said to be the easiest to compose on if that is what you are trying to get into. If you have a passion for keeping time and rhythm in general then go with your passion of course.
The drummer also has to work he hardest in the group, and when you first start your calf muscles do get pretty sore, but its a really good workout.
Drums area also obnoxiously loud and you have to get some people to compose (sing/play) songs, as with a guitar you can do it alone, which i feel is more suited toward an INFP

·
Registered
759 Posts
I can't wait to have the time to really devote to playing drums. I bought a kit about 6 months ago and wound up having to sell it shortly after when I lost my job temporarily a few weeks later.

I'm definitely not a beginner who can barely keep a basic rock beat going, and I have really strong timing, but I wouldn't say I'm good by any stretch of the imagination. It's something I've wanted to do since being very young, although when it came time to choose instruments for being in band in 5th grade, I went with saxophone after my band teacher scared me away from drums. I regret that a lot, but everything happens for a reason I guess.

But yeah, I tap on pretty much everything wherever I go, and I listen to the drum beats of songs and try to tap with all my hands and feet imagining playing the song as if I really was on a kit.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hack drummer here. Learned to play by bashing on tables! Managed to inherit a drum kit a couple years later. I still can't play tool's "vicarious" note for note, but maybe one day : )

I do enjoy the process of encoding emotions into the act of hitting things, its fairly therapeutic ;>

AdAstra had a drum video up here and it was fantastic.

·
Banned
190 Posts
I got a kick ass electric drum kit a few years ago, because of Rock Band. I play bass, guitar and keyboards, but drums are my favorite. It's like dancing, I can't explain it. If you got absolutely no rhythm, then it's hard. But if you got a little, then it's easy to pick up. I find that drumming is easier to stick with then guitar, because it seems like you get better, faster. You "feel" the music more playing drums. I play basic stuff, no crazy rhythms here.

I love the drums, but the neighbors downstairs, not so much.

What kind of drums are you looking to play?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I play guitar, bass, and drums. Drumming makes me feel sooo emotionally connected to the music though. More than the other instruments. I taught myself how to play from the beginning and have been in bands.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I prefer singing and concentrating on melody and harmonies more, but I did play drums in a band once. The band was multi-talented and we would switch instruments every few songs. So I got to play drums for three songs. A drummer friend of mine said that even though I had pretty basic beats with minimal fills, I was the best drummer of the group because my rhythm never strayed or went off. I actually loved playing drums, I found it very therapeutic! Just thinking about getting pound on those things as hard as I want and get out some aggression makes me wanna play right now!! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
nope i cant move all my appendages together in sync, guitar much easier lol
Nobody can at first. drums are difficult to get into, because when you start playing, it's a painful, frustrating and not very fun process of out of time beats and awkward movements. Even the simplest and most basic of beats take a very long time to learn peice by peice, that take a long time to get used to for all drummers. It's like there's this mental wall between what you want your limbs to do and what they actually do. Breaking down that mental wall is the aim of your first 2 years of drum playing, and even then it never completely goes away, so don't consider yourself naturally unable to play the drums, we all suck in the beginning.

I'm a drummer, I've been at it for about 4 years now. While I don't mean to sound big headed, I have a bit of a natural knack for it. I'm currently in a band and next year I'll be doing my grade 8 drum exams (even though I hate graded exams to high hell). I also play guitar and a small bit of piano, but the drums are my main instrument. Guitar is nice for composing music, but I find playing chords and seeing what sounds good for songs to be an impersonal process, most of the songs I write are songs that I think of in my head, most often while I'm not even close to an instrument. I don't know if that's just me or not though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Drummer INFP, in a band. I mostly drum as a hobby, like someone said earlier, its like dancing. I like just drumming along to random songs, or playing without much thought. There is no expression in it for me, the problem with drums is that you can only express varying levels of excitement. What do sad drums sound like? probably slow, but thats also relaxed...

In the past i have been in a couple of bands that i only appreciated after i left! That's when i listened to the guitar, and the LYRICS... instead of just doing my thing with the bassist.

Being the emo child that i am, it is nice to escape feelings, and drums is a great way to do it. Nothing is quite like headlining a small no-pressure gig, you can drink just as much as the crowd, and you're - by far - the coolest dancer in the room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nobody can at first. drums are difficult to get into, because when you start playing, it's a painful, frustrating and not very fun process of out of time beats and awkward movements. Even the simplest and most basic of beats take a very long time to learn peice by peice, that take a long time to get used to for all drummers. It's like there's this mental wall between what you want your limbs to do and what they actually do. Breaking down that mental wall is the aim of your first 2 years of drum playing, and even then it never completely goes away, so don't consider yourself naturally unable to play the drums, we all suck in the beginning.

I'm a drummer, I've been at it for about 4 years now. While I don't mean to sound big headed, I have a bit of a natural knack for it. I'm currently in a band and next year I'll be doing my grade 8 drum exams (even though I hate graded exams to high hell). I also play guitar and a small bit of piano, but the drums are my main instrument. Guitar is nice for composing music, but I find playing chords and seeing what sounds good for songs to be an impersonal process, most of the songs I write are songs that I think of in my head, most often while I'm not even close to an instrument. I don't know if that's just me or not though.
I usually come up with melodys as well, but chords can add a lot to a song, a c chord and a c7 can translate to totally different emotions depending on how the melody and lyrics line up with them.
EDIT: also u never really hear of any great drum compossers, great jazz drummers, but the composers orient towards the piano and guitar, conor oberst, thelonious monk, Bob dylan, Django, Paul simon, erik Sate, ect

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I was on drum line, and yeah I'm in tune with the side of drumming that you can't really teach.
the feeling side, you know? Because everyone can count.
I don't really consider myself a drummer, I play the electric guitar during a majority of my waking time on earth.
However, my biggest musical influences happen to be two drummers... because rhythm is everything in music ... If you're off time then by default the pitch is wrong as well... kind of...
A psychic once told me that deep down I'm a drummer... I do actually one day plan on getting a trap set and mastering it... and I will :)
Also, Drumming and rhythm is very... well ... almost... sexual to me ... it is primal pulse, and thrust.
Try to watch these without getting too wet...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a kick ass electric drum kit a few years ago, because of Rock Band. I play bass, guitar and keyboards, but drums are my favorite. It's like dancing, I can't explain it. If you got absolutely no rhythm, then it's hard. But if you got a little, then it's easy to pick up. I find that drumming is easier to stick with then guitar, because it seems like you get better, faster. You "feel" the music more playing drums. I play basic stuff, no crazy rhythms here.

What kind of drums are you looking to play?
I love the drums, but the neighbors downstairs, not so much.

My friend says he recently got a pair of bongos, which I'm really excited about. But I'm down for practicing on a kit, eventually. The sound is rad, and it's a great way of practicing rhythm consistency.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have always been interested in drums. I own a djembe (which I can't really play) and love the sound of tabla.

I tend to air drum a lot when listening to music :shocked:

THAT's awesome. I went to a Krishna get-together with singing, dancing, and exotic drum beats and it was the most beautiful thing. Very tribal, very pulse-activating.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
My nephew has an electric drum set & he just puts on headphones, plugs in & bangs away, even when everyone is sleeping. Almost noiseless except for the "click click" sound if you're standing nearby. I tried it out & had a blast. Sounds good, especially through an amp & speaker. (for daytime only, they're loud :) They don't take up much room either. I think the brand was Alesis or something but there's several. Now I want to get a set! I wanted a drum set when I was a kid & at some point ended up a guitarist instead but there's something about being physically in synch to the beat that's very satisfying.

Reactions: ii V I
1 - 20 of 28 Posts