Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a pub, drunk and depressed, ever feel like that?

You have all the good reasons to feel happy but you allmost have that suicide thought in your head?
"great" job, awesome pay, car the whole package... But no reason for it all?

Some friends would give an arm to be in the position that iam... Well i wouldt...

·
Banned
283 Posts
i have more than often found myself in that position as well, but my life today is kind of screwed up.

Perhaps to get there it required a lot of loneliness. Do you let people in?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is this YOU right now feeling this way?

From my own experience you just need to wake the fuck up and find something or someone you love and care enough to live for, your efforts to 'keep going' will in time reward themselves. At the same time, try not to be too hard on yourself or live a lifestyle that isn't exactly conducive to happiness. Food, TV/Films, games, going out with friends (if you're at a bar, why not call them and get a night out going on?)...just some ideas.

Sometimes we suffer from an existential crisis, sometimes its a bad mood, coming down with flu/cold or a case of depression which might require professional help. Only you can get to the bottom of what's on your mind.

·
Registered
ENTP
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have more than often found myself in that position as well, but my life today is kind of screwed up.

Perhaps to get there it required a lot of loneliness. Do you let people in?
Thank god for smart phones and wifi

No people normaly do more damage than help, but its tough finding someonw that will just listen, not judge, not try to help...
NTs have a hard time finding some one that understands the line of thought we have... So i must get drunk ( like now) to lower my thinking and let the emotions go through...

·
Registered
729 Posts
I may be an intj, but I find the only think that could make me happy is change. Or the adventure you find in books. In my opinion war would be fun if it weren't for the field sergeants, and the fact a bullet could be put in your head. I would enjoy a sword battle. Or maybe no one being so socially wishful nowadays. Maybe I'm an adrenaline junkie I don't know. Since I am extremely lazy I doubt that. But I do find some sort of happiness in creation. From composing music, or a book, or working for an animated movie company. Find out what is wrong, and fix it. And if it can't be fixed you will keep brooding on it and find a substitute like I did. Maybe it's because you are supposed to be at the top now, But there is no power to gain anymore. Politics is the only way, not force. Take Myuri Kurotsuchi in an episode from bleach. He explains to zalaparo that perfection you should never seek. That you should always strive to make yourself more powerful but NEVER to stop searching for the next answer. As for suicide think of it as a weakness. If you have those thoughts think life is a challenge to beat. To keep winning the game until you die naturally. Never let the thanatos win over your libido.

·
Banned
283 Posts

No people normaly do more damage than help, but its tough finding someonw that will just listen, not judge, not try to help...
NTs have a hard time finding some one that understands the line of thought we have... So i must get drunk ( like now) to lower my thinking and let the emotions go through...
Most people don't want to listen, they want to be listened themselves. Its a byproduct of the spread of rational self interest. But you can pay for a therapist to simply listen to what you're saying, and its not an admission of weakness. Its a necessity for everyone really.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree, when I respond it is just an outlet for my own opinions. You could even go the sigmund freud way. Have the therapist face away from you so you can't worry about their facial expressions. That's what they did back then.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts

You have all the good reasons to feel happy but you allmost have that suicide thought in your head?

Some friends would give an arm to be in the position that iam... Well i wouldt...
I know how you feel buddy. I can be surrounded by people who love me, yet deep down I'll feel alone. Sometimes getting drunk seems to help in the moment, but it always makes it worse. I still do it though.

Physical activity helps, but just like drinking, its a patch over a hole and not a solution.

Like a great man once said,
We've all got holes to fill,
And those holes are all that's real.
Some fall on you like a storm,
And sometimes you dig your own.

Just rember you're not alone, and stop fucking around with suicidal thoughts. You know you don't mean them, so don't waste your time on them.

Don't think about what you have so much either, that can make it worse. It feels like shit when someone says "think of everything you DO have" but you still feel empty or alone. Just try to remember that you're NOT alone, even if you aren't around others like you all the time. There are people out there who get you.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I relate to all of your sentiments. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yeah man, honestly, if you weren't in that position, you might think a bit differently. It sounds like you are feeling a little bit empty. And does sound you are on the right track, of wanting to find someone who understands where you are coming from. Honestly, looks like your missing piece, is............... an infj. Preferably female. Preferably hot. Probably. They are rare. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
If I had to guess you're either lonely or feeling overly regulated and boxed-in. Those two things always do it for me. I have a few close freinds and family members, when I get to that point I've learned to force myself to talk through it with them.

Yeah man, honestly, if you weren't in that position, you might think a bit differently. It sounds like you are feeling a little bit empty. And does sound you are on the right track, of wanting to find someone who understands where you are coming from. Honestly, looks like your missing piece, is............... an infj. Preferably female. Preferably hot. Probably. They are rare. ;)
You can have mine, I'm done with her. She left me feeling exactly like the OP.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I never allow myself to get depressed. I had a problem with OCD a few years ago and it was then that I learned that I am the only one who can control how I think and feel. How you feel is related to your thoughts, your actions and your environment. All of these things can be controlled.

What I've realized about myself over the last few months is that I have a tendency to go through emotional highs and lows, not to a bipolar extent, but definitely noticeable. I theorize that the emotional high peaks during times of extreme creativity, which uses a lot of mental energy, so it is followed by a day or so of sluggishness so I can rest.

As for your problem, it sounds like you're bored. I am reaching the point now where I almost financially independant, and what I continually realize again and again is that money isn't a ticket to happiness. Even if I have a huge house and 10 sports cars, I will still be me. Yet I still want to make as much money as possible. Not so I can have the best of everything, but so that I can be free to do whatever I want whenever I want. More than anything though, I need to excel at making money so I can fund all of my entrepreneurial endeavours.

I believe that happiness, for an ENTP at least, comes from using our boundless creativity to solve problems, and knowing that it is appreciated when we succeed. What I've also discovered is that the higher the level of perceived difficulty, the more satisfaction I get from it. Two years ago I decided to start a business. 95% of the people I know thought it was a bad idea and all thought that it was destined to fail "based on statistics". I did it anyways and now have a business with a good profit margin, a strong vision, and a growing client list. Yesterday I decided to expand into manufacturing. Again, I told a couple people, and the reactions were as I expected "this product isn't marketable yet", "there's no way this will work", etc. My parents are the worst at this, primarily coming from their SJ lack of foresight. I love them, but they don't really understand my enhanced (and unmatched by most people) view of the world.

Ultimately us ENTPs are a bunch of weirdos with high intelligence, great social skills, unique perception abilities and unmatched logical creativity. We live in a world that is dominated by sensors who think small and act small. This goes against our very nature and not allowing yourself to escape their traditions and customs is a surefire way for an ENTP to feel depressed. Embracing your strengths and making use of your visionary superpowers is the road to happiness.

One last little note: I've also discovered that I am most happy during the chase. Once I get what I want I often have this sense of "now what?" leaving me bored and searching for the next big chase. I am certain that most ENTPs can relate to this.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If I had to guess you're either lonely or feeling overly regulated and boxed-in. Those two things always do it for me. I have a few close freinds and family members, when I get to that point I've learned to force myself to talk through it with them.

You can have mine, I'm done with her. She left me feeling exactly like the OP.
Ah, sorry man. There's always intj females. But those are rarest of the rares. 1 in 200 people. ;) This isn't helping, is it?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

I've felt that way before. I know what you're talking about. I'd say you're in one of three different positions right now from the sound of things.

1) You're animal inside you (true nature) has been caged to long and is tearing at you to get out, and you're attempting to sedate it.

2) You're asleep and you need to wake up.

3) You're on the verge of a step towards enlightenment and have internalized the concept of temporal and physical futility.

I could go on a page rant about each of those ... but I don't feel like it right now so you're gonna have to read between the lines. but there is a solution for all three of those problems, and while they all have consequences to solve, it is possible. I'll give you the short answer to fix them all too.

1) Let it out ... damn the results. Free and dead is better than caged and alive.

2) Wake the fuck up.

3) Accept the emptiness as a facet of existence, and necessary step toward total understanding. Study some Buddhist and Daoist philosophical texts (not religious texts) and it'll shed some light on this subject.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I may be an intj, but I find the only think that could make me happy is change. Or the adventure you find in books. In my opinion war would be fun if it weren't for the field sergeants, and the fact a bullet could be put in your head. I would enjoy a sword battle. Or maybe no one being so socially wishful nowadays. Maybe I'm an adrenaline junkie I don't know. Since I am extremely lazy I doubt that. But I do find some sort of happiness in creation. From composing music, or a book, or working for an animated movie company
I completely agree with this fellow. It's tough when nobody around you is on the same wavelength as you, but you need to find some kind of outlet to release your emotions.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Actually yeah, my biggest(s) depressive meltdowns happened after I had drank myself silly and went home after that, kind of hit me like an 18-wheeler, I have no idea why booze makes it particularly more painful though.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
I've felt that way before. I know what you're talking about. I'd say you're in one of three different positions right now from the sound of things.

1) You're animal inside you (true nature) has been caged to long and is tearing at you to get out, and you're attempting to sedate it.

2) You're asleep and you need to wake up.

3) You're on the verge of a step towards enlightenment and have internalized the concept of temporal and physical futility.

I could go on a page rant about each of those ... but I don't feel like it right now so you're gonna have to read between the lines. but there is a solution for all three of those problems, and while they all have consequences to solve, it is possible. I'll give you the short answer to fix them all too.

1) Let it out ... damn the results. Free and dead is better than caged and alive.

2) Wake the fuck up.

3) Accept the emptiness as a facet of existence, and necessary step toward total understanding. Study some Buddhist and Daoist philosophical texts (not religious texts) and it'll shed some light on this subject.
Dang man, how have you figured all this stuff out?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Dang man, how have you figured all this stuff out?
I've just been around ... seen some things ... and done some stuff. That's all. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.