Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't got drunk, I mean, really falling over, why the chuff is the room spinning, drunk, for years and years. This is because the introverted side of me goes really introverted when I drink too much, and I only feel safe when I'm at home and know where everything is, particularly the bog and my bed. So if I'm out socially, and feel myself heading towards the limit (which is quite low, judging by the amount I observe others drink) I call a cab home. Is this typical INTP behaviour? S'pect so.

Why is it though, that others can drink and drink without recognising changes in their behaviour, to think "never again"? I have read that with some people drink barely changes their behaviour (rare), or they become introverted, moody, aggressive, loud, violent, daring....my ESTJ colleague told me that under the strong influence of vodka ordered 4 pizzas and 3 cabs for a friend one night. Um...why?

Why is it as well that some say "I don't remember a bloody thing"? Even in my lager lout days, I remember the main points and although I never did anything very stupid, there are a few "falling over" moments that I remember, along with the bruises.:laughing:

Theories/facts, though try to keep it as simple as possible as I don't fully understand all the functions yet.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well drinking makes me more extroverted than usual, or shall I say, less introverted and inhibited. But it takes 4-5 drinks in order to really get me going, talking and doing a bit crazy things. Unfortunately, 5 drinks also makes me a little less stable, and I mean that in both ways. I've also noticed I get spins if I drink really much. But then it's also kinda fun to observe how my body reacts to alcohol.
But anyways where was I... Oh yeah, well I've noticed you get alcohol amnesia if you drink distilled spirtis like absinthe or vodka, they hit really hard.
My observations seem to prove my theory that introverts are a bit timid and are most likely to fall asleep right away if they're wasted.
Extroverts, on the other hand, well, you'll have to chase them around while they scream and trip over like a hundred times... before they fall asleep.
Alcohol is a powerful tool if used wisely, especially for introverts, since it lets us be social without changing ourselves much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I definitely more social when I've had a couple drinks. I start to speak my mind more which can go either way. I don't get the whole spinning and falling over thing though, as I can drink quite a lot before I really get drunk.

·
Banned
369 Posts
Alcohol can certainly loosen my tongue but it takes a few before I become "sociable" around a mix a people I know and don't know. If I get too much I can turn into a raging idiot. Don't drink like I use to but boy have I make an ass of myself on a few occasions! If you see me dancing (or something that vaguely resembles dancing) it's definitely time to take me home. Never had the high tolerance for alcohol as many extroverts do, often I just get tired or sleeply. But on those occasions when I can stay awake long enough to get rip roaring drunk it's gotten ugly.

Reactions: RyRyMini

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
(This) drunk INTP is like a mean, energetic, touchy ENTP (loosely speaking).
Not just because I become more social, but because my Ne goes wild and Ti desists. Severely.

I've never gotten sick. The stupidest thing that has happened to me was busting my head on a dresser while getting up from sleep because I lost balance (probably the most drunk I've ever been, since my coordination is actually pretty decent).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hmm...when I get drunk I sort of switch back and forth between keeping to myself in the corner and being outgoing. I'll dance and talk with others, then just go sit down by myself for a while, which leads to anybody I know asking if I'm ok constantly and guys I don't know (and some girls) coming over to chat me up.
Other than being more confident and my annoying habit of spilling all my secrets (which isn't too bad of a habit since I don't really have any major secrets), my personality doesn't change much when I drink and I never "black out" where I don't remember stuff from the night before and I've never really done anything I regret.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Oh, I think I can contribute in this thread...

Stage one, Sobriety. It can be a lot of fun with friends but socializing with people I don't know isn't comfortable. There seems to be a lack of excitement, too.

Stage two, 3 or 4 large beers. When I have a few drinks, I become more sociable. It's fun. Even at this point I might be blacked out the next day. I'm incredibly susceptible to it. This would be a good point to stop drinking, but I don't ever seem to think so at the time.

Stage three, 5 to 8 large beers. When drunk, I become extremely extroverted, to the point of just chatting up anybody and everybody. It's loads of fun, and people tell me I'm fun to be around at the time so I'm cool with that. I'm still level-headed enough to scrap a fun night to help out a friend who needs it at this point.

Stage four, 10 beers or more with distilled toppings. When I get really drunk, I become somewhat insane. One of my friends nicknamed this state of mine as "the Hurricane." It's supposedly a very apt comparison. I'll let you form your own mental image. Thankfully, I usually can't reach this point without mixing drinks to at least some extent.

Damn, another weekend alone at home when I could be out having fun... At least I get to have it vicariously through this post.

Reactions: Phantomhive and Zic

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thewindlistens is good in two things in his life: Pissing me off and drinking. He also thinks he wins arguments with me, but he is just being optimistic.
Back on topic, he handles drinks extremely well(russian heritage i presume). Whatever, just adding that those numbers of beers are too low.
But i think us introverts just drink to loosen up our introverted tendencies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am definitely more sociable without awkwardness when drinking. 99% of drinking events are uneventful. Though, if I've drank too much too quickly or have been out drinking constantly for a whole night it can get out of hand. People get hurt when I can no longer control my emotions. I am fine until people feed me negative emotions, and yelling at me in anger means we are fighting because I can't rationalize the situation. We can be dangerous when drunk because we hold back emotions. Our shadow wants to fight the world because the world seems to believe we are against their grain. INTPs be careful with your alcohol!!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thewindlistens is good in two things in his life: Pissing me off and drinking. He also thinks he wins arguments with me, but he is just being optimistic.
Back on topic, he handles drinks extremely well(russian heritage i presume). Whatever, just adding that those numbers of beers are too low.
But i think us introverts just drink to loosen up our introverted tendencies.
I disrespectfully disagree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can go either way pending the variables presented in the situation. Sometimes I'm around people I don't want to be and draw back. Other times, I go out of my way to meet new people and entertain.

I noticed that when I drink, I always make good decisions. I'll mess with my friends and play devils advocate, but when it comes down to foolishness, primarily when I was in high school, I've always gotten myself out safely. Even after blacking out.

Honestly, there's a time and place for getting trashed with your friends, but in the end, I prefer to buy some micro brew and have it last awhile. I'm not a big drinker, but when i drink, I like to taste something bold and appreciate it. Quality over quantity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
drinking takes the edge of the introverted postion we have and probably makes us 10x more accesible to talk too for the extraverts.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I read the type totally wrong, I guess.:wink: One thing I have picked up on is that INTP go one extreme or the other, and although I don't exactly dislike alcohol, doctors look at me with disbelief when I say I have about 3 units a month - and that's during the summer. My father (also INTP) doesn't like alcohol, and I believe he said to me once it was because he is unable to think straight after a couple of units, and this loss of control of the brain functions makes him feel insecure - I guess I feel much the same way.

Last time I was "tipsy" (I could hardly call it drunk) at a social occasion (work do), a work colleague (ISTP, possibly, I get on with him very well at work) was whispering sweet bollocks in my ear and I had to get out before he started swearing undying love, or even - gasp - doing something that one of us was surely gonna regret. Or I said something to him that I was definitely gonna regret.:laughing:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reading the other posts, upon reflection I noticed that people are more so circumstantial to the venue I'm in. I prefer Brewery's to Bar's, because the people who attend appreciate the select beer on tap, versus cheap PBR to get trashed. The vibe is effervescent, it's a brighter atmosphere and the superior brew are all keen attributes in my book.

It may sound snobbish, but my surroundings play a lot into my perception, given their variables. Bar's just come across as self deprecating in some ways.

·
Registered
115 Posts
1-2 beers or a drink: Happy.

5-6 beers: Happy with added drunk, suddenly think people are great to be around. (The main reason why I rarely drink)

Drinking a mix of beer/vodka/wine for days with good friends (I used to in my younger days): "Where the hell am I and what happened to yesterday?" Oh, and panic, sheer panic.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I hardly drink to become drunk anymore. I prefer caffeine but when I'm drunk, I act similar to an ENTP.

When I'm extremely drunk, fucked-up, obliterated and twisted, I'm wild and prone to crazy acts. It’s never good to wake up the next morning, naked, hungry, cold, wounded and bruised, in bed with three midgets, projecting Ramón noodles, while feeling twinges of pain from a new nipple piercing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When I do drink, which isn't terribly often anymore, I get quite quite hammered and talk up a storm. It's fun every now and then, but I usually regret it the next day.:laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts