Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I have it, but it sure seems like it. My sleeps been on a different schedule ever since I can remember. I've always been up to long, slept too short, and woke up too late. I'm just not sure what to do about it. I tried trying to see if it was a common thing for INFJ's to have sleep disorders. But I just feel this is too broad a question. I don't need to sleep as long as most. But at the same time, no matter how long I sleep I never feel refreshed. It's just not easy trying to figure it all out. If you you can relate please comment.

If you've made it to this thread and read this far, thank you for reading.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I've got sleep issues, definitely.

From my past research, I thought mine was 24 hour circadian rhythm disorder... but apparently it's quite rare and I'm not sure if I actually qualify. LOL

Basically, I'm most naturally tired in the morning. When the sun comes up, it triggers me to feel sleepy.
To sleep earlier, I have to have the right conditions, and my sleep pattern tends to drift out of whack over time.
I feel most awake, alert, active, and just plain alive LOL, in the evening.

I didn't really get that it's not just about sleep until I saw this chart thingy, on Wikipedia I think... depicting the daily schedule of autonomous functions in the body.

Everything from blood pressure & pulse, to hormones, and digestion runs on this schedule, and can be part of what makes it so hard to change your sleep cycle.

A normal person hits their peak "active" blood pressure in the late morning, experiences a slight slump after lunch, and then hits another peak in the mid afternoon.

Someone with a circadian rhythm disorder, tends to hit their peak after the sun has set (their morning).
Try falling asleep about the time you're most pumped up to be active... pretty impossible, right?

They don't know what actually causes it, except they've done some studies on the visual cortex... it's likely to be linked to the brains response to sunlight.

·
Banned
1,837 Posts
Holy hell, yes. I've had sleep issues for years and I naturally seem to be more of a night owl. I don't feel tired until much later than the 'average sleeping time' but need 8-9 hours of sleep a night to feel well-rested. Bizarrely I'm still tired all the time and feel the most awake when I've had anywhere between 6-7.5 hours of sleep. I also find it much easier to sleep during the day than at night. It's really kind of annoying. I've tried taking natural remedies such as valerian and also to just go to sleep earlier but it simply doesn't work. I just live with it at this point -.-'

One of the most annoying aspects is the advice of going to bed earlier and/or getting up at a 'decent' time. Thanks, but it doesn't work. It just makes me more miserable. It's not like I stay up so long because I want to. I'm just used to being constantly tired now, I guess.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not sure if it's necessarily an INFJ thing, but I definitely have some type of sleeping problem. Ever since I was little, I've suffered from insomnia. I'd keep my parents up until one in the morning on school nights, just not ready to sleep. I wasn't allowed to have nap time at school and would leave school early so I didn't have to sit there while the other kids slept. After that, my bed time still wasn't until eleven. As a five year old, my bed time was eleven pm. It was ridiculous.

Now, I just have trouble falling asleep sometimes. If I don't have trouble falling asleep, I have trouble staying asleep. I get nightmares, usually, and I'll talk myself awake during them. My roommate told me it scared her the first few times I did it, so I felt bad, but thankfully she's gracious enough to not get annoyed. But yeah, I definitely have some sleeping issues.

·
Banned
1,837 Posts
@soft.cynosure yeah, same. I used to not have much trouble falling asleep but it eventually got a lot harder. And nightmares, yes. Probably when my sleeping problems started, I often drift into half sleep and then wake myself up because of a nightmare/intense feeling of fear. It's become a bit of an annoying reflex. Do you have any coping mechanisms, stuff that helps you stay asleep?

·
Banned
12,104 Posts
I have it, not yet professionally diagnosed but I have symptoms of severe dsps and possibly even N24 and I wrote about it before. See my posts here

http://personalitycafe.com/member-polls/962082-what-time-do-you-wake-up.html

and this one, but I made more posts

Scalloping - Circadian Sleep Disorders Network

some sleep expert on the internet (could be a fraud too, who knows, but he definitely is smart) told me i have severe delayed sleep phase disorder. He linked me to this, and i seemingly am already on the verge of n24 (a neurologic disease where the biological clock shifts over time. he said i'm to the point i have severe dspd with traits of irregular wake/sleep phase but at the point where it could develop into n24 (non-24 hour wake/sleep disorder) and it's probably already some kind of mix. In many cases dspd (a delayed biological clock) develops into n24 (what could develop into insomnia or irregular sleep/wake disorder). it's also linked to depression (although what's cause & what's consequence) & some psychological disorders (being an infp is enough for many people to be considered as someone who needs psychological treatment...) or brain injury (what indeed happened when i was young). it's also linked to subsensitivity (or lack of exposure) of light, what could mess up your rhytm, and indeed to some extent i'm very sensible to bright lights & daylight, and i avoid it to some extent. (this is something new, because i didn't get irritated to look to the sky before, but now (even if it is clouded), it hurts (and i'm not looking in the sun). i also complained about this before (in an unrelated discussion) and it could also be related to (silent) migraine (because some people suggested that and it has a neurological cause), epilepsy (neurological cause as well) and autism (because migraine and epilepsy are linked to it as well). although maybe everything is linked... (if you look it that way). and even if autism and that sleep disorder is linked to a rate of 20 times heavier, it's quite logical that if depression and autism is linked, sleep disorder and depression is linked as well (and it's quite logical, because lack of social skills is indeed depressing (and not getting up in time could be depressing as well if this is systematic), also because it is a huge problem when you have a career or when you're ambitious and you need to adapt to the 9 to 5 work cycle.

So it is really DSPS by definition since the average period is still 24 hours, but it is just a hair's breadth away from N24. Just a bit worse and it would be N24 with pronounced relative coordination and phase jumps. Then beyond that, completely free-running N24.

What is Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder?
Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder (Non-24) is a neurological sleep disorder in which a person's sleep/wake cycle is longer than 24 hours. The person is unable to adjust his sleep/wake cycle to the length of the day, and his sleep time progresses around the clock. For example, if he goes to sleep at midnight and sleeps until 8 am one day, he may not be able to fall asleep until 1 or 2 am the next night, and will need to sleep correspondingly later the following morning. The delay does not stop at 1 or 2am but continues to get worse every day until he is going to sleep at 4am, then 6am, 8am, 10am, noon, 2pm etc. Eventually he comes around the clock again to his starting point and the process continues on. For some people the length of their cycle varies from day to day, and they cannot predict their sleep/wake schedule in advance.

this model shows my sleep log times and statistics, i sleep on average 8 hour each day, but my shift is irregular and tend to move forward (24.30 minutes), barely not n24 and managable to follow the normal sleep/wake schedule (but in a very delayed process), and it already has traits of n24 (according to the model), it's currently a mix of n24 and dspd

this is what it should be (an example of someone who doesn't sleep long and quite regular without stress)

you can use the tool too, it shows how long you sleep averagely, what your shift is, how you sleep and many more statistics (after a few months of data)

https://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleepchart.htm

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can fall asleep on my own during the day, but not at night. At night I'll toss and turn.

My doctor put me on Topomax, and it genuinely helps. Stay away from Ambien; it causes sleep walking and other sleep disturbances.

Reactions: PowerMechGuy

·
Registered
147 Posts
@Nephilibata Sorry if this reply is wacky -- still getting used to this site. But no, I haven't really done anything that works. I've tried not having caffeine after 2 pm, reading myself to sleep, drinking chamomile tea, everything except taking melatonin. If things don't get better this upcoming semester, I might end up start taking it to finally get some full nights' rest.

When I do wake up though, I'm usually too anxious from the nightmare or the feeling of fear (I do that as well after getting like half-asleep) for about an hour to fall asleep. So I usually get up and walk around, do something to make me tired again, like study or read.

·
Banned
1,837 Posts
@Nephilibata Sorry if this reply is wacky -- still getting used to this site. But no, I haven't really done anything that works. I've tried not having caffeine after 2 pm, reading myself to sleep, drinking chamomile tea, everything except taking melatonin. If things don't get better this upcoming semester, I might end up start taking it to finally get some full nights' rest.

When I do wake up though, I'm usually too anxious from the nightmare or the feeling of fear (I do that as well after getting like half-asleep) for about an hour to fall asleep. So I usually get up and walk around, do something to make me tired again, like study or read.
Not wacky at all! You'll get used to the site soon :) Thanks for the reply.

I see. Yeah, the anxiety following a nightmare is the worst. I've considered melatonin before, maybe I should try it. And do more tiring stuff during waking periods.

I hope you find something helpful :/ sleep difficulties really suck

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts