Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Never stop making :O That's like giving up on cooking and only buying boxed food. I don't really know how it's like that at all specifically, but that's what it feels like.
LOL I totally get that analogy.... "pre-made" music (basically music created by another person) is like the boxed food... which is good, but shouldn't be all you have (do).

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
I just started to get into Dubstep last year and I guess because of that I am still lacking a firm grasp on what it is. I have an image or sound in mind but the more I listen to the genre the more "sub-genres" of dubstep I find. The song that really started my obsession is Skream's Midnight Request Line

Since Skream, I started to think of dubstep as needing some distinct criteria like wobble bass, midsection, bass drop, etc... I am a big fan of Skrillex now as well and his use of vowel base. I know it doesn't need to include all this to be dubstep, but I guess I am the type of person who needs my music to have a certain structure. Sometimes I see a song on youtube that it says is dubstep but to me it just sounds like drum n bass.

As @jessmk7 mentioned this is First of the Year by Skrillex

I still love the "Dubstep Tutorial" from UKF

So what is with the hate on Rusko? I read a lot of shit from the old dubstep crowd who claim dubstep has become horrible due to it becoming mainstream. Purists can suck my nuts though. Purists are just conservatives who can't adjust to change. Some I think are referring to the new crop of music as brostep i believe. I get the feeling a bunch of the old school people don't like Skrillex either.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just started to get into Dubstep last year and I guess because of that I am still lacking a firm grasp on what it is. I have an image or sound in mind but the more I listen to the genre the more "sub-genres" of dubstep I find. The song that really started my obsession is Skream's Midnight Request Line

Since Skream, I started to think of dubstep as needing some distinct criteria like wobble bass, midsection, bass drop, etc... I am a big fan of Skrillex now as well and his use of vowel base. I know it doesn't need to include all this to be dubstep, but I guess I am the type of person who needs my music to have a certain structure. Sometimes I see a song on youtube that it says is dubstep but to me it just sounds like drum n bass.

As @jessmk7 mentioned this is First of the Year by Skrillex

I still love the "Dubstep Tutorial" from UKF

So what is with the hate on Rusko? I read a lot of shit from the old dubstep crowd who claim dubstep has become horrible due to it becoming mainstream. Purists can suck my nuts though. Purists are just conservatives who can't adjust to change. Some I think are referring to the new crop of music as brostep i believe. I get the feeling a bunch of the old school people don't like Skrillex either.
I agree, and it's like a lot of people loved him when he first came out, then as soon as more people began to like it, they got on high horses and decided they no longer like him. That's how I was in middle school... Not liking something purely for the fact that others liked it and it was no longer different, so I'd rebel against general consensus. It's like conforming to not conforming- which is still conforming!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
People are just dumb. Rusko is ok (not my favorite but not bad either) and Skrillex is great, if you ask me.

Some people just don't like what they consider to be "Brostep" which is effectively superficial emulation just because the style is getting popular. I don't like that either, but saying what Brostep actually is is subjective and to the individual's tastes. So I won't hate on anyone specifically unless they are clearly just fronting (which doesn't seem to happen that often, really)

·
Registered
457 Posts
YAY! possiBri- you have the same taste that I do, awesome :)

On that first vid, I actually moved my phone because I thought it was interfering with the speaker and causing it to make that sound haha

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Canadian Dubstep

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
You know, I was just listening to something that people were saying that it is "real dubstep, not that shitty brostep" and well...

Yeah. It was 'real' dubstep, sure. All the base elements were there, nothing more, nothing less. But you know what? The particular example was boring as fuck. It had the beat, and it had the sub bass wobble, but that was ALL that it had. The wobble wasn't even interesting, either, just the same shit repeated over and over.

So, I conclude that while there is a basic form of dubstep, that doesn't make it automatically good if you just copy it. The exact same with any 'brostep'. I also conclude that haters don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts

Classic dubstep. It's decent. I wouldn't call it creative or spectacular.

The best thing it has is the sub bass, but that doesn't matter to me. If sub bass is all that matters, I can make anything be that, since I have a sub that weighs like 200 pounds and could literally shake the house apart on any track if I wanted it to.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts

Classic dubstep. It's decent. I wouldn't call it creative or spectacular.

The best thing it has is the sub bass, but that doesn't matter to me. If sub bass is all that matters, I can make anything be that, since I have a sub that weighs like 200 pounds and could literally shake the house apart on any track if I wanted it to.
hahaha yeah, I always thought of this as "chill" dubstep... I didn't realize this is what is considered "real" or "original" or whatever... wooo learn something new every day!

wubwubwub wubwubwub wubwubwub

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
hahaha yeah, I always thought of this as "chill" dubstep... I didn't realize this is what is considered "real" or "original" or whatever... wooo learn something new every day!

wubwubwub wubwubwub wubwubwub
Haha it's definitely not "chill" through an 18 inch sub. That's one reason 'purists' hate, because people don't realize about the sub bass if they don't have a good sound system for it. Problem with that is not everyone has a huge subwoofer, which isn't their fault.

I don't blame people for not understanding something that they can't really even hear fully. And I don't blame artists that do their own thing and make it so more people can enjoy it.

There's a reason real dubstep is 'underground' - 90% of people can't even listen to it fully.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Page 4 and there hasn't been a single Flux Pavillion track? C'mon.

Aura and FracX are great producers, too. Although Aura doesn't seem to produce much anymore.

Moleman's best imo

Nit Grit, of course

Chillstep by Hike

Blackmill is generally a superb chill producers, dubstep / dnb alike.

Uppermost shouldn't be missing either

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I forgot, as far as Rusko is concerned, you can hardly be hating on this. Although, Netsky has quite a golden touch as it were.

Also, forgot to include Rusty K:

and of course, Receptor. Although with this track I'm not entirely sure whether or not to put it more into DnB as opposed to Dubstep. It's great regardless, though.

While not Dubstep at all, this track by B-Complex has probably the thickest bassline I've ever experienced. Plus the nostalgy factor is epicly through the roof.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why yes, I do enjoy dubstep! I've started listening only recently, but it's very catch and perfect for working out! Skrillex is my favorite currently, and I do enjoy Gemini as well! Here are some of my current favorites!

21 - 40 of 521 Posts