Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First things first, here is the the typing of main characters in order to establish context:

1. Andie, INFJ. She has her own unique perspective, could tell that her dad never went to the job and Blane ditched her, has timid/aux Fe but tries to be friendly, first and follows rules. Tertiary Ti is strong.
2. Blane, ISTP. Laid back internal thinker. I could see INTP, but his deep thoughts were never too existential. His humor is based on sensory observations and movements. Plus, ISTP-INFJ makes perfect sense, as far a type attraction goes.
3. Steff, ESTP. Such a beautiful performance by Jame Spader of a slimy, popular, player ESTP.

And finally, Duckie Dale. I think Jon Cryer's performance gives us insight into how important maturity is for the ENTP. Some ignant people will say ENFP, but getting angry and having feelings is not unique to Fi users. Duckie is an 80s hipster, with his own style and he is witty and charming. He is calculated in that he tries to manipulate Andie into liking him or hanging out with him. His conversations with her, her dad, the bouncer, and with himself show unrefined attempts at manipulation and illusions of grandeur. He truly believes that Andie is meant to be with him, but rather than focusing on him, he idolizes her as a trophy to be won. His biggest sign of maturity is telling Andie to go after Blane and the world rewards him with supermodel Kristie Brinkley.

I, and perhaps many others, can identify with Duckie. I'm 27 years old now, but I acted somewhat like that in high school. Here's the thought, that I'd like others to consider: Duckie was a genuine character that never behaved genuinely. His life was an act to generate attention his way, which is a genuine portrayal of many ENTPs at that age. Our Ne can make us appear weird, at an early age, so we try to become fascinating. I describe it as a compensatory narcissism. I'm not suggesting most ENTPs are like this, but I believe it is common enough to where we can relate to it.

Now, at the risk of sounding like an SJ, they don't make movies like this anymore. Pretty in Pink is my favorite chick and Duckie one of my favorite characters. However, he might be a favorite, but I don't think he 'deserved' the girl. Hell, nobody 'deserved' anybody. Instead, they all needed to grow up. Thoughts?

P.S. I love cheesy 80s songs. From the movie:

·
Registered
26,000 Posts
My mind checked out here even though I kept reading.

1. Andie, INFJ. She has her own unique perspective, could tell that her dad never went to the job and Blane ditched her, has timid/aux Fe but tries to be friendly, first and follows rules. Tertiary Ti is strong.
Maybe it's a me thing and not a Fe thing.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mind checked out here even though I kept reading.

Maybe it's a me thing and not a Fe thing.
Thanks for letting me know how worthless your commentary was. I checked out when I saw your scary picture.

·
Registered
26,000 Posts
@sah6635 Well, a self proclaimed INFJ was giving you a clue into how what you wrote could possibly be wrong and might need a rethink(albeit sarcastically; look at the effort I took to scratch all the unimportant stuff for you), AND I did specifically mention that I read the whole thing. But if you're going to make fun of my smile... I'm out. Good day sir!

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@sah6635 Well, a self proclaimed INFJ was giving you a clue into how what you wrote could possibly be wrong and might need a rethink(albeit sarcastically; look at the effort I took to scratch all the unimportant stuff for you), AND I did specifically mention that I read the whole thing. But if you're going to make fun of my smile... I'm out. Good day sir!
Good! This thread was for ENTPs to talk about Duckie and all I had was a lousy INFJ show up. Jeez, I can't get any of the cool kids to come to my party!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Good! This thread was for ENTPs to talk about Duckie and all I had was a lousy INFJ show up. Jeez, I can't get any of the cool kids to come to my party!
Bring more beer.
And probably a vid of... that one dude.
Not everyone watches TV.
OR is that a mover?
Either way, point being.
What the hell is a duckie and can I eat it?
Also, most of the ENTPs forum surf, sooo you should wait a bit.
A bit more than three hours, at least.
Maybe 12?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well I appreciated this post. Might have belonged in that other subforum about typing fictional characters, but that's irrelevant.

I never thought much about it, but I buy your theory regarding all the characters. How gorgeous was James Spader, really. I have to say when I watched that movie (over and over) in high school, I fell in love with Ducky. I wanted to find a Ducky for myself. Someone to worship me who was witty, charming, and cute (yes, I've always found Jewish boys super cute). When he lip syncs to "Try a Little Tenderness" I melt every time. I thought Andie was absolutely crazy.

But I guess as I got older, I started to understand the ending more. I ended up marrying a guy who was much more of a Blaine than a Ducky: successful, conventionally attractive, stable, and a challenge to get. It's interesting how your perspective changes as you get older. But I'll always love Ducky.

I can certainly see him as ENTP. Not focused (at least not academically), convinced by his own ideas, easily strikes up a conversation with anyone, individualistic, witty.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I appreciated this post. Might have belonged in that other subforum about typing fictional characters, but that's irrelevant.

I never thought much about it, but I buy your theory regarding all the characters. How gorgeous was James Spader, really. I have to say when I watched that movie (over and over) in high school, I fell in love with Ducky. I wanted to find a Ducky for myself. Someone to worship me who was witty, charming, and cute (yes, I've always found Jewish boys super cute). When he lip syncs to "Try a Little Tenderness" I melt every time. I thought Andie was absolutely crazy.

But I guess as I got older, I started to understand the ending more. I ended up marrying a guy who was much more of a Blaine than a Ducky: successful, conventionally attractive, stable, and a challenge to get. It's interesting how your perspective changes as you get older. But I'll always love Ducky.

I can certainly see him as ENTP. Not focused (at least not academically), convinced by his own ideas, easily strikes up a conversation with anyone, individualistic, witty.
Thanks for the understanding on the Duckman. I started this on the ENTP forum because he is a character that we can relate to. James Spader is gorgeous in that movie. I'd do a threesome with him and that blonde chick.

I actually used to be attracted to a character like Andie, myself. I wanted a quirky girl to worship and I think that is why many ENTPs love INFJs. Nothing wrong with INFJs, and it makes sense that the three main guy characters all had a thing for Andie. In fact, I think Steff had mature feelings for Andie, but he could not shake off his smugness to seriously pursue her. Steff was too big an asshole, Duckie was too much of a pushover, and Blane was just right, even though he wasn't, but high schoolers are dumb. Anyway, socionics duality says ISFJ is our best complement, and I would agree that smart ISFJs are pretty dandy.

What type is your husband? I dated an INTP girl, for 2 months. It didn't work out, but I would say she was successful, conventionally attractive, stable, and a challenge to get. Plus, the introvert-extrovert counterpart is common match for dating.
@aef8234 ... just, just...shut up. Watch Pretty in Pink, you won't regret it, especially if you've ever seen Breakfast club or St Elmo's Fire.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
@aef8234 ... just, just...shut up. Watch Pretty in Pink, you won't regret it, especially if you've ever seen Breakfast club or St Elmo's Fire.
Nah, you haven't really sold me into watching a specific show that probably involves some teen sex scene or something along the lines of risque romance, blahblahblahblahblahblah, after having not watched TV in years.

Haven't really sold me into having a serious discussion in this very serious thread of extreme seriousness.
You apparently have your sirius wig on.
Seriously. So much effort, it's like you did your waiting or something.

inb4 "no point".
There is always a point.
This is at the very least 2D so there's at least infinity by infinity points.

inb4 "disbincoherentgibberish"
That's the infinity-point bruh.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks for the understanding on the Duckman. I started this on the ENTP forum because he is a character that we can relate to. James Spader is gorgeous in that movie. I'd do a threesome with him and that blonde chick.

I actually used to be attracted to a character like Andie, myself. I wanted a quirky girl to worship and I think that is why many ENTPs love INFJs. Nothing wrong with INFJs, and it makes sense that the three main guy characters all had a thing for Andie. In fact, I think Steff had mature feelings for Andie, but he could not shake off his smugness to seriously pursue her. Steff was too big an asshole, Duckie was too much of a pushover, and Blane was just right, even though he wasn't, but high schoolers are dumb. Anyway, socionics duality says ISFJ is our best complement, and I would agree that smart ISFJs are pretty dandy.

What type is your husband? I dated an INTP girl, for 2 months. It didn't work out, but I would say she was successful, conventionally attractive, stable, and a challenge to get. Plus, the introvert-extrovert counterpart is common match for dating.
My husband is INTJ.
Nah, you haven't really sold me into watching a specific show that probably involves some teen sex scene or something along the lines of risque romance, blahblahblahblahblahblah, after having not watched TV in years.

Haven't really sold me into having a serious discussion in this very serious thread of extreme seriousness.

inb4 "no point".
There is always a point.

If you're american, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. It's a John Hughes film and his movies are pretty much all notoriously good. One of his lesser known movies, Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, is one of my absolute favorites.

But he also did The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and even Home Alone. Many more too. They're quality movies, not teen erotica crap like Twilight or something. Most were made in the 80s.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
If you're american, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. It's a John Hughes film and his movies are pretty much all notoriously good. One of his lesser known movies, Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, is one of my absolute favorites.

But he also did The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and even Home Alone. Many more too. They're quality movies, not teen erotica crap like Twilight or something. Most were made in the 80s.
And I'm in my 20's, kinda understandable why I don't know those things.
I have seen The Breakfast Club though, I think. It's the one where a couple of stereotypical high schoolers end up going to detention and it ends up being great character development, right?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
And I'm in my 20's, kinda understandable why I don't know those things.
I have seen The Breakfast Club though, I think. It's the one where a couple of stereotypical high schoolers end up going to detention and it ends up being great character development, right?
If you can't appreciate it just because it's old, then that's fine. It remains that his movies are legendary and they really are good movies. They hold up pretty strongly against the crap they put out for young adults now. :wink:

Reactions: aef8234

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
If you can't appreciate it just because it's old, then that's fine. It remains that his movies are legendary and they really are good movies. They hold up pretty strongly against the crap they put out for young adults now. :wink:
It's more along the lines of I don't watch movie to analyze, I watch it for entertainment.
Not to mention It's a bit impossible to appreciate something I don't know, especially considering movies and TVs aren't really my thing.
Fuck, I can't even watch youtube without doing something else.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

inb4 "no point".
There is always a point.

I don't want you to see it ever, that is why I won't sell you.

Now the Goods:Live Hard, Sell Hard. That's a good ENTP movie. Go watch that.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's more along the lines of I don't watch movie to analyze, I watch it for entertainment.
Not to mention It's a bit impossible to appreciate something I don't know, especially considering movies and TVs aren't really my thing.
Fuck, I can't even watch youtube without doing something else.
Another good point. It's hard to appreciate something you don't know about. Anyway, please continue commenting on a thread that have you have no business being involved with...

Damn I sound like an ENTJ, haha. @aef8234 sure I might feel the urge to horse whip you for your comments, but I promise to cuddle afterwards.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Another good point. It's hard to appreciate something you don't know about. Anyway, please continue commenting on a thread that have you have no business being involved with...
You're right, no point in eating a dead horse I guess. Have fun fapping on your own thread.

Damn I sound like an ENTJ, haha. @aef8234 sure I might feel the urge to horse whip you for your comments, but I promise to cuddle afterwards.
Start fapping after I leave please, not during.
Also, please don't look at me during, it's creepy.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just love how I'm talking to a guy about how gorgeous James Spader was in one of my favorite movies. So fun. Everyone had good hair in that movie. Except maybe Blaine.

Different Hughes movie, but can we also take a moment for Jake Ryan? :th_love: OP, Michael Schoeffling was also in the afore-mentioned Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. Great movie.

You should also check out Vision Quest, starring a very young, very cute Matthew Modine. Man, I love 80s movies.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just love how I'm talking to a guy about how gorgeous James Spader was in one of my favorite movies. So fun. Everyone had good hair in that movie. Except maybe Blaine.

Different Hughes movie, but can we also take a moment for Jake Ryan? :th_love: OP, Michael Schoeffling was also in the afore-mentioned Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. Great movie.

You should also check out Vision Quest, starring a very young, very cute Matthew Modine. Man, I love 80s movies.
James Spader had perfect hair in that movie. And for women, you should check out Phoebe Cates in Fast Times at Ridgemont high.
@aef8234

Start fapping after I leave please, not during.
Also, please don't look at me during, it's creepy
A noble request, but If I do this, I will do it my way. Here's looking at you, kid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.