Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dumb teenagers, smart teenagers?

My stepfather used to say: Although you're a very intelligent and smart fella, kids your age in this generation are dumb.

Obviously, the aspects of teenagers have changed throughout the decades, but in the elder's perspective, it's becoming worse. With the technology's advance, the teenagers way of life is changing, and it can't be even compared to the last one. So, following my stepfather logic (he's 41) teenagers are changing into conformists, dumb, and technology-alienated. Maybe he's right, 80% of teenagers nowadays lack the intelligence they should have. But, goddamn, I think I'm blessed by living my teenage years in the 21st century. If it wasn't for the internet (and my actual bit of self confidence) I wouldn't have half my intelligence that I have today.

In the same way that teenagers are apt to become dumb due to this, they're also apt to become even more intelligent than they were expected to be, with the help of the technology.

Do you think my generation is overrated? Do you think that most of teenagers nowadays have the potential the overcome the stereotype placed upon them? That they have to potential to be geniuses even more smarter than the geniuses before them?

Also, do you think there's a relation between MBTI types and age? Because I don't often see to much INTP teenagers. Which type do you think it's more common among the teenagers?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't think the most common MBTI changes with what point in time you're born. INTPs are typically rare in any generation, and MBTI doesn't change with age, theoretically. It would be interesting to see a study on this, though. It's possible, though I think it would be unlikely. Despite this, I've always seen more members of the INTP personality type as adults in my personal experience than minors where I live. Here, INTP students are all but extinct.

I wouldn't call our generation overrated. If anything, we're looked down upon. It's true that teenagers today tend to be different than the teenagers of previous generations. Among the older members of our society, whose opinions are typically given greater weight than those of the younger, disliking individuals with so many discrepancies between another individual's value systems and their own is quite a bit more common than it is in other groups. Perhaps it is because of this that this generation is looked down upon; there have been many new developments in the field of technology, which has led to a lifestyle far different than the ones the older generations have lived in the past, making us unrelatable, and in the eyes of some, unlikable. Theoretically, of course.

I'll sit down now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hm, this is a topic with many levels to consider. I'll just talk about one part though; are teens this generation dumber?

Well, that depends on what you consider to be 'intelligent' and 'unintelligent'. In one case, intelligence is defined based on how well someone maneuvers in whatever culture or setting they find themselves in. For example, someone who can identify certain plants in their location and can find and use herbs to heal or harm might be considered very intelligent in that setting, but unintelligent in one that requires the knowledge to use a computer.

Now, in the current culture of social media and internet use, where more and more services are available, and sometimes only available, on the internet, you could consider many of the teenagers to not only be well adjusted to this scenario, but quite intelligent in these terms. One possible reason why many people middle aged and older might see these same people as unintelligent could simply be due to a different setting base for intelligence, the one they were a part of when they were growing up.

Changing topic a bit, one reason for a perceived lack of intelligence might just be the very thing many blame for the lack of intelligence; the media and the internet. Because there are so many ways to see the actions of so many people, and with viral stories of 'stupidity' being run everywhere, many people who wouldn't have known about these actions very suddenly can. Not to mention that unintelligent actions tend to stand out. We tend to overestimate just how many people fall into a certain category based on what is more striking. In other words, the availability heuristic. Edit: I'm sure conformation bias also fits in, someone focusing on and remembering only the indications that all teens are unintelligent, and forgetting or filtering out evidence that shows they're not so bad.

A small group of the stupid can make us think almost everyone is the stupid.

I could probably go on about other things, like wisdom vs. intelligence, but I have wiki open in another window and it's calling me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Being a teenager that didn't grow up with much technology, my opinion is perhaps less relevant than that of a teenager who is immersed in it. But, the fact that I'm online and typing this says something, I suppose.

My personal observation is that most of the intelligent teenagers I know, are the ones that aren't stuck to their screens all the time. They are more book-types, or go out and do stuff, experiencing the world. The ones that learn, exercise their minds, and put it into practice in real life.
Because of the ready availability of information, it's as if there is no need to learn or even retain information, because one could just look it up any time. But technology, is simply what you make it, IMO. So as you said, with the help of technology, one could be more intelligent. Someone could become a "genius", if they wished to be. But that is only up to oneself to seek it out, and remember it. When something is so easily obtained, people just aren't as motivated anymore.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I think your father is doing what a lot of old people do, seeing differences between their generation and a newer one and seeing these changes as a decline instead of an entirely different [but largely equal] path. Could technology be making us dull, spoon-fed conformist little shits? Sure. So could listening to your parents or going to Sunday school or whatever it was they did for fun in the 80's. There is always a dominant message that's being communicated to you, a holdover from generations past, be this from your parents or your peers [via their parents] or through the media. It's easiest to swallow because it's so common. But that doesn't mean you have to. And that's where I think the media/technology/the internet gives us [I say us because I missed being considered part of the Z-generation by a year (according to this forum) and I can't really say that I grew up without technology] a considerable advantage in the ability to be exposed to a diverse [and often conflicting] array of worldviews. Sure a lot of teens swallow the dominant message but that isn't because this generation is somehow less intelligent, it's the natural trend of most of humanity. It's just the medium that's changed.

BTW just as a general observation, teenagers immersing themselves in readily available technology is natural adaptation, not deviancy. It's not like they all took up needlepoint and sword fighting. The world is heading in a technological direction [isn't it always?] it's gonna need a group of people who are fit to work and function and live in a world like that. Oooooh this is actually a nice loopy thing isn't it? The future is shaping the past! But anyway. Sure it might be sad children put a lower emphasis on climbing on stuff and etc and that might well have implications for the kind of adults they'll become but deciding they want to Instagram their food instead is not somehow naturally worse, know what I'm saying homeslice? It's just different.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Thread title is kind of ironic.

Although, only I will probably know why, which sadly makes it even more ironic. :/

Reactions: Alfador

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm an INTP teenager, and as a teenager, regardless MBTI, I think I'm blessed with parents that believe the internet is a wonderful place and if I happen not to be so much on it (back at the days I didn't want to have a facebook, but now my real life relationships are based on the existence of this website), they would tell me I should reconsider it and encourage me to get into it. They believe, as they should to my opinion, that maybe this generation is different, but everything here is different! So judging the generations by the same criteria is stupid because almost nothing is the same anyway. They also believe that a girl like me needs the internet for her social life (I totally agree with them...) and they think it might not be a communication face to face, but it's still communication, and teenagers need it so keep their social life active. They think it's a bless because social life can be even better now and much more instant than before. They also think it's stupid to judge the whole generation as an individual, and I agree with them. One person can be very intelligent or very dumb, no matter in what generation he was born, and they totally agree with me and my brother that the internet can only make us (him and me specifically) smarter and that's how we actually learn English, because school only teaches us the formal material, but that's not how you really learn to speak English fluently.
Teenagers (as well as kids and adults) can take what they are given and do whatever they want with it, and it really doesn't matter what generation you are from - you can still choose to act smart with it, just as you can choose to act stupidly with it. It really depends on the individual.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Every generation has a problem with teenagers. Every generation says "back in my day, kids respected their elders! Back in my day kids had manners!"

But come on, since the concept of the teenager emerged circa 1950's, they have always been seen as delinquents of some kind, lazy and stupid. Before internet, teenagers watched TV and went to movies, before that they listened to radios, they went to drive-in movie theaters, they went to rock and roll concerts. There was always something that teenagers did for fun that was seen as stupid and unproductive.

Here's what the internet gives teenagers the ability to do: download millions of e-books, read articles about anything, get news about the world instantly, learn about world cultures and religions, learn to speak a foreign language, teach themselves to draw/paint/make crafts ...etc

Before internet, to learn anything, a person wold have to go to a library and hope that there was a book (possibly an outdated one) about the subject they were interested in. Internet does not dumb people down, if anything it gives them the opportunity to learn infinitely more than any time before. Sure some people use it for entertainment, but every generation of people ever has had a form of entertainment.

Older people like to blame problems on teenagers for being "unproductive and lazy" at a time when they don't have jobs or an education, and aren't even legally allowed to make adult decisions yet.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When I was a teenager, I was an ignorant jackass. Now I'm less ignorant, but I'm still a jackass.

My peer's appreciation my mind hasn't changed much. Some people love me. Others hate me.

Reactions: Alfador

·
Registered
545 Posts
What were his generations achievements?
Seems like we have had about 60 years of comfort but also a lot of failure and complacency. Especially when the greatest generation was replaced by the baby boomers. They have done nothing but help themselves. They are just riding on someone else's coattails.

That said, I don't think my generation is all that great. The difference is, we still have time, they already screwed up their chance. Hopefully people can pull themselves out of their egocentric worldviews to fix some of the messes left by previous generations.

I think all older generations (throughout history) despise youth. They fear it. They see that young people can be just as talented (or more) and have more energy, so they feel insecure.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Thread title is kind of ironic.

Although, only I will probably know why, which sadly makes it even more ironic. :/
??? Please, a dictionary.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My stepfather used to say: Although you're a very intelligent and smart fella, kids your age in this generation are dumb.
Kids your age during your stepfather's generation were every bit as dumb and conformist as they are now. Your generation has just developed new and creative ways of being dumb (just like every generation before you has) that us old farts can't fathom, therefore you must somehow be dumber.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Kids your age during your stepfather's generation were every bit as dumb and conformist as they are now. Your generation has just developed new and creative ways of being dumb (just like every generation before you has) that us old farts can't fathom, therefore you must somehow be dumber.
I agree with the sentiment of this.

It's a lot like throwing more money into the economy. Yes, it does increase wealth, and more jobs to create more things. It just, overall, creates more.

However, it also increases the spectrum between the poor and the rich; can't have one without the other.

Thus, with more technology and knowledge, it creates ways for the smart to be smarter, and the dumb to be dumber.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Before internet, to learn anything, a person wold have to go to a library and hope that there was a book (possibly an outdated one) about the subject they were interested in. Internet does not dumb people down, if anything it gives them the opportunity to learn infinitely more than any time before. Sure some people use it for entertainment, but every generation of people ever has had a form of entertainment.
That's the point. Sure it gives them the opportunity to learn infinitely more than before, but they're highly susceptible to misusing it, internet is like a two-side coin (don't know if there's an english better term) it has the power to give you knowledge, but it also have the power to make you dumb, just like social media and stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts