Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For more then 10 years now I have had this condition. I was thinking that it would influence my typing and distort it in some ways. Since the condition is very long lasting with ocasional spillover into deeper depression, I am unable to remember a time when things were different so I can not distinguish it from my true personality. One could say that it is who I am, yet I am someone else without it, I just can't remember who.

Dysthymia

How do you think it affects the typing process?

My own thoughts:

- I think I'm melancholic mainly because of it. In reality I'm not melancholic or so I think.
- I may be extroverted, but since I do not derive pleasure from so many things, I may not be aware of it. (I have my doubts thou.)
- There is a possibility that I score INFP because of it. It may influence everything from stereotypical P-ish tendencies, to sometimes being more F (depressive periods) to sometimes being more T (numb periods, inability to discern how I feel or if I feel anything outside of it) etc..

How dysthymia feels like: a dull pervasive sadness, as if the world is shrouded in grey and nothing seems enjoyable or meaningful. Its not strong enough to drive one to tears, more like numbness and anxiety mixed together. Its light and ever present, gets worse before sleep time at night. It is difficult or impossible to find much joy in things other people seem to like, having fun is difficult if at all possible. Little patience for mundane things or people, boredome, difficulty with memory, decision making, assertiveness, self estteem, difficulty with thinking pozitively. Other people's problems leave one cold, if someone dies little is felt outside the ordinary. Disinterest in most things, feeling tired all the time, having to fake emotions and feeling like one's face is melting in the process (puting up an act).

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Dysthymia doesn't affect your cognition more than perhaps leading to the creation of more complexes which leads to overall more neurotic and unhealthy behavior e.g. what Quenk would call being in the grip of the inferior.

The problem with being afflicted by any mental condition is that it might make it difficult to see yourself and who you are. Dysthymia is no exception to this. I for instance only became consciously aware of my dominant function, which is Ni quite recently (about last week), after believing I have been a Ji type since I first took the MBTI test many years ago.

That kind of self-awareness takes time and doesn't come over a day. You just need to do a lot of introspection so you become capable of fully seeing yourself.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dysthymia doesn't affect your cognition more than perhaps leading to the creation of more complexes which leads to overall more neurotic and unhealthy behavior e.g. what Quenk would call being in the grip of the inferior.

The problem with being afflicted by any mental condition is that it might make it difficult to see yourself and who you are. Dysthymia is no exception to this. I for instance only became consciously aware of my dominant function, which is Ni quite recently (about last week), after believing I have been a Ji type since I first took the MBTI test many years ago.

That kind of self-awareness takes time and doesn't come over a day. You just need to do a lot of introspection so you become capable of fully seeing yourself.
I agree. I had a similar experience when typing in the eneagram. Eventually the pattern become clear, even thou I couldn't see it for a very long time.

Dispositions_Cognitive-Style <==interesting but cognitive function information processing patterns would be more apreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had issues with long term, chronic depression or dysthymia, haven't bothered to look into labeling it specifically really, just admitting you're depressed is hard enough so I'm just working through things for what they are rather than trying to label it clinically :p but back to the point when I first came across MBTI tests I made a point of going by my earliest, "purest" memories when answering the questions in order to avoid confusing what I did now that resulted from depression and what I actually am. It takes quite a bit of self awareness to do this I guess. E.g while I have lost interest in reading over the last couple of years (lost interest in life really) I was an avid reader when I was younger and not so far gone in depression and I would get lost in books for hours, as I go through my counselling my interest in reading and writing is beginning to come back so I know where to draw the line between "me" and "depressed me". Another example is that I can identify I'm introverted because people in general wear me out. I need to recharge by myself and while when I'm around them I enjoy the company immensely I need to recharge in order to get back out there and enjoy that. Where depression sullied things is that I was becoming hyper and manic and craving social interaction which could be misinterpreted as extroversion but I know that is was a result of my depression.

Enneagram typing for me was more awkward I got three-four different results until I settled on 6w5 but am now very confident with that result as it matches up with a lot of the progress I've made through counselling etc

·
Registered
636 Posts
I tried to figure out E/I for a long time because, as far as I could tell, I process things externally but being around people often drains me. I only recently after something happened a couple of weeks ago and sent me into a very bad state thought that it might just be depression. Last week I organised an event to go out because that's what I usually like doing and I figured my friends would cheer me up but just interacting with people seemed like solving an impossible puzzle. When the emotions weren't coming naturally to me personally it made me hard to react appropriately in conversation and to read other people. I think the best example of this is my friend talking about a play she's in that I promised I'd go to but really didn't feel like going to. Since I didn't want to admit to the depression I just tried to feign interest (I would genuinely have been interested normally) but I think it came off as fake. Hope she wasn't offended.

I could also see how the P stereotypes could come into play. My therapist has literally had to give me a timetable and told me to schedule things into my week because I'm often to uninterested to even get out of bed and make a decent meal for myself or do basic chores etc. Basically it's trying to shove me into some sort of routine since I get very, very little accomplished otherwise (sleeping and crying, usually). I definitely haven't been taking much control of my life recently and just react when things come up instead of making things happen. I always score P (one time I got 100% perceiver) on tests and often 50/50 on I/E.

My type is generally in question. Most of the time I score ISFP, though I think I'm more of a reserved (or depressed) extravert and decided on ESFP but recent talks over on the Socionics forum suggest ESFJ. How I behave at the moment definitely does not suggest Je but looking back on a year+ ago I can definitely notice that sort of cognitive process in me. I suppose the fact that my main concern with my depression was how I come across to other people is more evidence in favour of Fe, lol. I guess if this has been affecting you for 10 years it's hard to compare types in a before / after sense.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I agree. I had a similar experience when typing in the eneagram. Eventually the pattern become clear, even thou I couldn't see it for a very long time.

Dispositions_Cognitive-Style <==interesting but cognitive function information processing patterns would be more apreciated.
I disagree that the MBTI taps into cognition at all. I'd stick with Jung and more specifically Gulenko to rationalize about how we rationalize.

·
Registered
440 Posts
E.g while I have lost interest in reading over the last couple of years (lost interest in life really) I was an avid reader when I was younger and not so far gone in depression and I would get lost in books for hours, as I go through my counselling my interest in reading and writing is beginning to come back so I know where to draw the line between "me" and "depressed me".
Ah god. That sucks. Losing the books. That happened to me two years ago--and it made me immeasurably sad. I should look into that therapist thing.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree that the MBTI taps into cognition at all. I'd stick with Jung and more specifically Gulenko to rationalize about how we rationalize.
So in typing in MBTI you'd go by the 4 letters, disregard or translate socionics into MBTI? I'd see a problem in going by the 4 dichotomies as stuff like depression can interfere with the process.

·
Banned
898 Posts
When I was agoraphobic I felt and identified as dysthymic (and in the winter it would disintegrate into major depressive episodes), and now I get it under stress sometimes. But the whole time I was at that point I never doubted I was INFP, and when I looked back to when I was at a happier point in my life I still saw myself as INFP in retrospect... Like, when I was thirteen I felt pretty happy, but I still preferred to be alone writing or playing piano or riding my bike more often than not. I liked to be with friends, but I liked being alone too. As soon as I started trying to fit in more, go to more parties or act cool or whatever, I started to feel less happy. But when I developed depression I became an isolated agoraphobe, so that's not good either... Anyway the point is even when I was happy I valued my alone time.

I'm sure I came across less P before I developed depression, because I was upbeat enough to keep my space cleaner just naturally. And I was more eager to make plans. I've felt pretty good this year so far, and I notice that my space has gotten progressively cleaner. I still prefer to go with the flow of things, though, so to speak. Not especially detail oriented nor the most organized planner.

I don't think depression influenced my intuition or feeling functions as much, though; I've always been pretty obviously an nf, I imagine. Truthfully, though, I probably came across more an sp type before I developed depression; ie, I hadn't become inhibited regarding my creativity or just experiencing life in general.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I doubt that it would actually influence the type itself but might have you show up in a way where your type is unclear.

Dysthmia can create a sort of perpetual..... distance, making what is a true cognitive I/E preference unclear, and making a lot of people mistake dysthmic extraverts for introverts, creating a whole other mess of misunderstanding (i.e. introversion means having issues).

Reactions: Entropic

·
Registered
81 Posts
I should look into that therapist thing.
I would highly recommend it, even what seems like small problems can surprise us in the end and its necessary to have someone to talk to in life. If you go through life without the right supports things can get messed up :( Going to counselling is easily the best decision I've made in my life :)

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
So in typing in MBTI you'd go by the 4 letters, disregard or translate socionics into MBTI? I'd see a problem in going by the 4 dichotomies as stuff like depression can interfere with the process.
Yes, if someone is strictly after their MBTI type, I'd stick with a dichotomy-based test. That's pretty much what the MBTI is about to begin with.

Then people have taken liberties and interpret the MBTI label various ways, e.g. Jungian cognition, but at its heart, the MBTI will always be about the 4 letter code in my opinion.

I for example wear the INTJ label now not because I score INTJ on tests (I score INTP), but because in terms of Jungian cognition, it exactly represents my cognition. I'm an Ni dominant with auxiliary Te, tertiary Fi and inferior Se, in that order.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, if someone is strictly after their MBTI type, I'd stick with a dichotomy-based test. That's pretty much what the MBTI is about to begin with.

Then people have taken liberties and interpret the MBTI label various ways, e.g. Jungian cognition, but at its heart, the MBTI will always be about the 4 letter code in my opinion.

I for example wear the INTJ label now not because I score INTJ on tests (I score INTP), but because in terms of Jungian cognition, it exactly represents my cognition. I'm an Ni dominant with auxiliary Te, tertiary Fi and inferior Se, in that order.
If I'd go by the 4 letter code :p I'd never test Sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts