Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! Okay, I'm fourteen years old, and I know that I'm either ENTP or INTP.
INTP:
I prefer not to go to parties.
I will spend hours doing research on anything that interests me.
I have close friends at school, but I don't like inviting them over, since I like to be alone.
My attitude depends entirely on who I'm with.
There is nothing that I love more than learning and being right.
I'm fascinated by systems.
I'm highly independent.
ENTP:
I'm really goofy with my friends sometimes.
I love public speaking.
I will argue with anyone on anything for the fun of it.
I think that I'm more imaginative than I am logical.
I try to make my ideas a reality, but it usually doesn't work, since I lack the organizational skills and attention span.
I'm an enthusiastic student (I always have been.).
I'm very verbal.
Notes:
When I was younger, I was probably more ENTP, but I've become more INTP as I've gotten older.
Most quizzes have said that I'm INTP, but my friends say that I'm more extroverted.

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you're going about it the wrong way. Delve inward and consider how you act around friends and most importantly when you're alone. Do you want to discuss all your theories with other people? (PerC or other forums don't count) Are you bothered by being alone for extended amounts of time? Who's the caller, the spark of invitations? In other words do you call your buddies or do you wait for them to call you first. All these little things that happen on a daily basis will help you more than a list that will be bias due to what you want to be. Get into it from a internal perspective and then place all the details out and think of it from the outside without ego or expectations.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ENxP 3w4. You're too young to tell if you're an ENFP or ENTP.

Reactions: possiBri

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're going about it the wrong way. Delve inward and consider how you act around friends and most importantly when you're alone. Do you want to discuss all your theories with other people? (PerC or other forums don't count) Are you bothered by being alone for extended amounts of time? Who's the caller, the spark of invitations? In other words do you call your buddies or do you wait for them to call you first. All these little things that happen on a daily basis will help you more than a list that will be bias due to what you want to be. Get into it from a internal perspective and then place all the details out and think of it from the outside without ego or expectations.
Hmm... okay, then. I spend a lot of time alone in my room doing research on different things, reading, or just thinking about different things. With my close friends, I'm always eager to share my ideas and theories, even though they may not always understand or care. My best friend seems to be INFJ, though, and we like to talk about similar things. I don't call my friends very often, but when they call me, I listen about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, I pretend to listen and do something else (read, mess around on my computer, go outside, etc.) or I'm the one talking. It's easier for me to talk with someone face-to-face or Skype, since I'm less likely to become distracted. School is the place where I'm most extroverted. I focus best during school hours, and am not as easily distracted.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For what it's worth, I can identify with most things on both of your lists and I am INTP. Doesn't prove anything either way though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ENxP 3w4. You're too young to tell if you're an ENFP or ENTP.
I know I'm not an ENFP. I make decisions based on logic. And I don't think that I'm too young to figure it out. Though personalities can change, I've read that about 95% of it is obvious by the time a child is five.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I know I'm not an ENFP. I make decisions based on logic. And I don't think that I'm too young to figure it out. Though personalities can change, I've read that about 95% of it is obvious by the time a child is five.
You making decisions based on logic doesn't mean anything. You could be making decisions based on Extraverted Thinking, which would be the realm of the ENFP, and not the ENTP. It all depends on how your judgment functions are oriented.

And, no, going by Jungian Cognitive Theory (which is what I'm assuming here--it could be all bullshit for all I know), you really don't have a grasp on your auxiliary function while you're in your teens. It may begin to show, but it'll be hard to tell since Fi and Ti can look similar. If you were 17 or 18, then yeah, I would trust your judgment, but since you're not, then I would hold off on completely evaluating yourself for a while. There is a LOT of cognitive development between the ages of 14 and 18.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think you can tell that you make decisions based on Ti when you're 14. That's the age I first took the test, and I got INTP (I'm almost 17 now and sure that I'm a TP type (Ti user). I fit the INTP decriptions even as a little kid (although I once had the enthusiasm, outgoingness, and adventurousness of an ENTP).

I think you're an INTP, Kathryn, and it's possible that you are in the process of devloping your Ne. Therefore, Ne may seem more obvious to you than your Ti, causing you to mistype. Also, outgoingness does not equate to extroversion in MBTI terms. Although, I think extroverts are more likely to be outgoing out of necessity (they get their energy from social interaction).

Nothing on your list is a definite ENTP trait. All of them are characteristic of INTPs except for "I think that I'm more imaginative than I am logical." However, that could be explained by what I already said above (about Ne seeming more obvious than Ti because of where you are in development).

Questions.
Do you relate to Fe or Si more? In case you don't know anything about cognitive functions, I will help with providing simple definitions as a starting point.

Si compares present moments with past experiences, and may also use past experiences to predict the future. If you are a heavy Si user, you will probably stick to what works and is reliable instead of considering more revolutionary options.

Fe seeks harmony and social connection. Fe users feel a need for belonging and like to make others feel like they belong. Fe users care about the interests of the group. However, some Fe may reject others who don't conform to their view.

This is just my own basic understanding, and you'll probably want to research all the functions on your own.

Which is less appealing to you: Emotions or detail/practicality?

Which is more important: Precision or clarity?

Do you search for feedback and tell your ideas (rough drafts) to others before revising, or do you try to perfect your ideas before presenting them?

Most importantly, are you energized from being alone or from being around people? How do you feel after being alone for a long time period? How do you feel after being around people constantly?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
You making decisions based on logic doesn't mean anything. You could be making decisions based on Extraverted Thinking, which would be the realm of the ENFP, and not the ENTP. It all depends on how your judgment functions are oriented.

And, no, going by Jungian Cognitive Theory (which is what I'm assuming here--it could be all bullshit for all I know), you really don't have a grasp on your auxiliary function while you're in your teens. It may begin to show, but it'll be hard to tell since Fi and Ti can look similar. If you were 17 or 18, then yeah, I would trust your judgment, but since you're not, then I would hold off on completely evaluating yourself for a while. There is a LOT of cognitive development between the ages of 14 and 18.
I agree with this. I thought I was ENFP when I was 15-16... didn't take the test again until I was 24-25, but looking back now I didn't fully come into my ENTP-ness until I was about 18-19.

·
Registered
891 Posts

Let me put this straight. She takes into consideration INTP and as far as I know Ti is primary cognitive function in this case. She would definitely be aware of that by 14. If that is the case Ne or Se would be what is still not developed well enough to have a clear judgment according to what you write, BUT when I look back in time I've been pretty much into abstraction and thinking in my teens and it was more then clear. So this wait till your late 30s is a bullshit according to me and regardless what MBTI says. Not to mention that 12-20 has been assigned to function development not really choice making. Plus if you say she cannot be sure of Ti then Te which supposed to be tertiary for an ENFP is even further away. Not to mention that it would definitely not be available as a judging function at this stage.

@Kathryn Miesse I personally have been extremely extroverted as a kid but my teen were more introverted just so I could find a balance in my mid 20s ;) ENTPs might be really introverted in times so it is not really easy to say. Check out ENTP's forum there is a lot threads about introverted ENTPs or the need for them/us to stay in our skull-box for a while. I personally think of myself as ANTP. Neither ENTP', nor INTP's label describe me clearly.

Get in touch with cognitive functions' definitions, articles, couple honestly done tests and it should become more clear.
Good luck on your journey to get to know yourself better :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Let me put this straight. She takes into consideration INTP and as far as I know Ti is primary cognitive function in this case. She would definitely be aware of that by 14. If that is the case Ne or Se would be what is still not developed well enough to have a clear judgment according to what you write, BUT when I look back in time I've been pretty much into abstraction and thinking in my teens and it was more then clear. So this wait till your late 30s is a bullshit according to me and regardless what MBTI says. Not to mention that 12-20 has been assigned to function development not really choice making. Plus if you say she cannot be sure of Ti then Te which supposed to be tertiary for an ENFP is even further away. Not to mention that it would definitely not be available as a judging function at this stage.
Yes, she's taking INTP into consideration, but she's also taking ENTP into consideration; therefore, she isn't sure what her dominant function would be. Based on what she said about herself, she seems more Ne dom, so she could be an ENFP as well. I thought Iwas when I was 16, but it turns out I'm not.

I really don't know where you got late 30's from. I said late teens. Did you even take time to digest what I said?

Finally, I don't have enough to go on to say whether or not she's using Te or Ti. "I use logic in my decision making" really doesn't tell me anything, except that the person believes themselves to be a T type. This may not be true, as some EFPs and IFJs could potentially have decent knowledge of their thinking function since they're close together, but that's besides the point. SHE could be an ESTJ for all I know--I was simply offering my best guess off of the very little she described herself with.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes, she's taking INTP into consideration, but she's also taking ENTP into consideration; therefore, she isn't sure what her dominant function would be. Based on what she said about herself, she seems more Ne dom, so she could be an ENFP as well. I thought Iwas when I was 16, but it turns out I'm not.

I really don't know where you got late 30's from. I said late teens. Did you even take time to digest what I said?

Finally, I don't have enough to go on to say whether or not she's using Te or Ti. "I use logic in my decision making" really doesn't tell me anything, except that the person believes themselves to be a T type. This may not be true, as some EFPs and IFJs could potentially have decent knowledge of their thinking function since they're close together, but that's besides the point. SHE could be an ESTJ for all I know--I was simply offering my best guess off of the very little she described herself with.
30's is been taken out of ass. Simple hyperbole. Heh that is the whole point you take her young age into consideration when it comes to deciding what her type is AND at the same time argument against her "logical" choice making with EFPs and IFJs that have Ts as theirs tertiary function, which means nothing less, nothing more as suggesting that she jumps 10 years into the future when it comes to that.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
30's is been taken out of ass. Simple hyperbole. Heh that is the whole point you take her young age into consideration when it comes to deciding what her type is AND at the same time argument against her "logical" choice making with EFPs and IFJs that have Ts as theirs tertiary function, which means nothing less, nothing more as suggesting that she jumps 10 years into the future when it comes to that.
No, what I'm saying is that it's too early to tell, and I have pretty much nothing to go on. I can't guess a type accurately without seeing some of their attitudes, not just their behaviors. A few people who are vaguely familiar with MBTI have typed me as ISTP or INTP, which isn't correct. That's all I'm saying.

And your last sentence didn't make any sense.

·
Registered
891 Posts
No, what I'm saying is that it's too early to tell, and I have pretty much nothing to go on. I can't guess a type accurately without seeing some of their attitudes, not just their behaviors. A few people who are vaguely familiar with MBTI have typed me as ISTP or INTP, which isn't correct. That's all I'm saying.

And your last sentence didn't make any sense.
I'm judging your argument that she could be an EFP as false by using simple facts:
a) she writes that she uses logic
b) Ti or Te is not developed well enough in EFPs and IFJs till at least 20s to be used and/or make them think that this is actually theirs natural preference over F

This sentence doesn't need to make sense to you to be perfectly correct :) Plus, I do agree with you that it is hard to type people so at least stay to the possibilities OP presents initially and leave EFPs and IFJs alone. From what I have seen it could be as well Se in her case but I'm not necessarily about to argue it because Se is a) more common and/or b) looks less cOOl.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I'm judging your argument that she could be an EFP as false by using simple facts:
a) she writes that she uses logic
b) Ti or Te is not developed well enough in EFPs and IFJs till at least 20s to be used and/or make them think that this is actually theirs natural preference over F

This sentence doesn't need to make sense to you to be perfectly correct :) Plus, I do agree with you that it is hard to type people so at least stay to the possibilities OP presents initially and leave EFPs and IFJs alone. From what I have seen it could be as well Se in her case but I'm not necessarily about to argue it because Se is a) more common and/or b) looks less cOOl.
The part in bold seems a bit of a stretch... to say that all EFPs and IFJs don't develop their T until their 20s is a pretty broad generalization. For example, I had pretty strong F-ish tendencies growing up and I ended up testing as ENFP in my early teens... so it's possible the OP is having the opposite experience.

Also, if the OP is having issues typing then isn't it our duty to mention all possibilities (based on our knowledge/experience)? The point of these types of threads is to help offer confirmation or other suggestions based on the info the OP provides -- which, in this case, is a little vague. Since she is considering ENTP it makes sense that other ENTPs would offer their own experience. So to say that what @Third Engine posted isn't helpful or is dismissive of the OPs post, is quite a ridiculous assumption.

Reactions: Third Engine

·
Registered
891 Posts
@possiBri yeah OP might be XYZW in fact I would go with xxxP and you probably still are an ENFP that pretends to use logic ;) It's been said that society casts T on males and F on females and it might be other way around. Maybe sex determines natural preference and society creates mutants ;) Maybe unnatural school system turned you into T. Maybe someones overprotective mum that heard in TV about stress free bringing up created F son.

What if definitions of Ti and Te are overlapping in fact. What if shadows can overtake personality. What if you all kids looking for answers in times of stress and this gives fucked up results - in fact this one looks even real as most people wouldn't want to fix something when it is OK.

The point is fuck knows what OP was, is could be. Even if I could talk to her there is still a chance that I would get her type wrong, because I know how I can be acting differently in times. I smell S and all abstract goes away. I smell N and I start talking about all the crazy shit. In times I wouldn't even say a word if I'm about to get something done unless it is a command so SJs. Yeah I bet there are people that have all the functions well developed earlier on while others stick to two first ones throughout whole life.

The problem is sometimes to limit options. That is why I'm not going with fucking xxxP, even if my intuition tells me S is lurking somewhere. I stick to what was in the OP which was clearly a try to determine E/I NTP. If she couldn't say NTP for sure then tell me who can do that online? I bet the lists she gave us are biased due to what she has read, heard, thinks, feels about INTP and ENTP. Not to mention that new beliefs about who she supposed to be may really change her behavior and give new results of faked, suppressed personality that may become someday what OP believed in. She might be born as an ISFJ. How can you prove it wrong? This might be even your case @possiBri .

This is so random that I feel now proud of myself ;)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
@possiBri yeah OP might be XYZW in fact I would go with xxxP and you probably still are an ENFP that pretends to use logic ;) It's been said that society casts T on males and F on females and it might be other way around. Maybe sex determines natural preference and society creates mutants ;) Maybe unnatural school system turned you into T. Maybe someones overprotective mum that heard in TV about stress free bringing up created F son.

What if definitions of Ti and Te are overlapping in fact. What if shadows can overtake personality. What if you all kids looking for answers in times of stress and this gives fucked up results - in fact this one looks even real as most people wouldn't want to fix something when it is OK.

The point is fuck knows what OP was, is could be. Even if I could talk to her there is still a chance that I would get her type wrong, because I know how I can be acting differently in times. I smell S and all abstract goes away. I smell N and I start talking about all the crazy shit. In times I wouldn't even say a word if I'm about to get something done unless it is a command so SJs. Yeah I bet there are people that have all the functions well developed earlier on while others stick to two first ones throughout whole life.

The problem is sometimes to limit options. That is why I'm not going with fucking xxxP, even if my intuition tells me S is lurking somewhere. I stick to what was in the OP which was clearly a try to determine E/I NTP. If she couldn't say NTP for sure then tell me who can do that online? I bet the lists she gave us are biased due to what she has read, heard, thinks, feels about INTP and ENTP. Not to mention that new beliefs about who she supposed to be may really change her behavior and give new results of faked, suppressed personality that may become someday what OP believed in. She might be born as an ISFJ. How can you prove it wrong? This might be even your case @possiBri .

This is so random that I feel now proud of myself ;)
Ummmm... what? I wasn't trying to prove anything. I gave my 2¢ about the whole thing, and simply pointed out that what you said about @Third Engine's post was uncalled for. The point of these threads isn't to argue with each other, but offer your opinion to the OP and then let them decide. You seem to be really upset that we are offering other suggestions other than what the OP mentioned and I'm not sure why. I don't think we said it in such a way that is putting down the OP... we were just offering an alternative, especially if she decides she is Ne-dom. Es todo.

Reactions: Third Engine

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ummmm... what? I wasn't trying to prove anything. I gave my 2¢ about the whole thing, and simply pointed out that what you said about @Third Engine's post was uncalled for. The point of these threads isn't to argue with each other, but offer your opinion to the OP and then let them decide. You seem to be really upset that we are offering other suggestions other than what the OP mentioned and I'm not sure why. I don't think we said it in such a way that is putting down the OP... we were just offering an alternative, especially if she decides she is Ne-dom. Es todo.
My opinion is based on what I've wrote. I made it clear that I don't agree with @Third Engine's way of never ending options based on personal experience. Hi was in between as you were T and F. She was trying to figure out E/I as name of this thread states. I would be rather excited to have this conversation if the pace was faster (irl). It is good to know that I give away impression of being upset :? Now you can offer her ISTP as an option. It would be more up to date according to the INTP I can see. Feel free to do so :)

ENTP is still not out of the question but I doubt that. I think this is the best time to see which function is dominant and Ti has leading position here atm. If you think Fi is there INFP should be your next scream :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Which is less appealing to you: Emotions or detail/practicality?

Which is more important: Precision or clarity?

Do you search for feedback and tell your ideas (rough drafts) to others before revising, or do you try to perfect your ideas before presenting them?

Most importantly, are you energized from being alone or from being around people? How do you feel after being alone for a long time period? How do you feel after being around people constantly?
1. Emotions, probably. Although it's hard to say, since many of my friends and family are very Fi, and I've gotten better at relating to them.
2. Clarity, definitely.
3. I tell my ideas to others before revising... since more often than not, they never get perfected. ;)
4. I've thought over this before, and I find it difficult to answer. Although I enjoy being alone and doing things by myself, after a while, I feel like I want to be around someone. But, after being around someone for a few minutes, I'll usually go back to whatever I was doing. For me, a little time around others goes a long way.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
1. Emotions, probably. Although it's hard to say, since many of my friends and family are very Fi, and I've gotten better at relating to them.
2. Clarity, definitely.
3. I tell my ideas to others before revising... since more often than not, they never get perfected. ;)
4. I've thought over this before, and I find it difficult to answer. Although I enjoy being alone and doing things by myself, after a while, I feel like I want to be around someone. But, after being around someone for a few minutes, I'll usually go back to whatever I was doing. For me, a little time around others goes a long way.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it. :)
Sounds pretty ENTP to me... =]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts