Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First world problems... Anyway, fellow INTP's, I'm currently in grade ten. Long story short, if I apply myself next year, I could graduate at the end of grade eleven. I'll certainly have enough credits, so I just need to take the rest of the requisite courses, plus whatever I need for university. I have only a few slots for those sorts of courses, but, if I decided now what I want to do in university, I could plan my grade eleven year to be ready for post-secondary when I'm seventeen.

It sounds good, right? The only this is, there are so many interesting-seeming high school courses that I wouldn't have space for. I want to take literature and psychology and law and calculus and... but I'll only have space for a few, so they'll have to be related to what I'm going to university for. I don't like high school, but I also don't like closing off unexplored possibilities. On the other hand, I don't have to be in high school to learn new stuff.

So, the question- should I focus myself on a singular life goal, exclude all the fluff, and get a year's head start on the mundanity of adult life? Or should I stick around, taking classes I might or might not enjoy, and willingly endure the hell of secondary school one more year?

Despite the amount of willpower it would take to get so much done in one year, would I be lazy to graduate so minimally, without giving other paths a chance? Has anyone here ever graduated early? What would you do in this situation and why?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
How disciplined are you? If you're very disciplined, get into college ASAP and get IT done and out of the way. Otherwise, stay another year and enjoy yourself in the "forced structure" of high school.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I graduated early, but then I ended up taking a year off school to write and pretty much do whatever I wanted so I started college with my peers. And I was indecisive about what I wanted to study so I've changed my major twice in three years and am actually a few credits behind where I could be.

So I would echo what Revenant said about discipline. I didn't really have enough discipline and so graduating early saved me no time at all. That said, I do not regret it, and I would not change my decision. If you think you are wasting your time in high school, you have no real reason to stay there.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
are you kidding? hell, I graduated halfway through my senior year. In fact, if they had allowed me, I would have skipped the ninth grade and went straight to college. I could easily have went from Algebra I in the eighth grade to college algebra. Even starting college in remedial math would have been an improvement to the wasted four years of high school.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't claim to be the best-disciplined, but if I'm motivated to do this, I will be able to do this. I have discipline enough for that.

are you kidding? hell, I graduated halfway through my senior year. In fact, if they had allowed me, I would have skipped the ninth grade and went straight to college. I could easily have went from Algebra I in the eighth grade to college algebra. Even starting college in remedial math would have been an improvement to the wasted four years of high school.
Graduating early isn't a challenge. Where I live, there's only one required grade twelve course, and it can't be much more in America. The challenge is when you want to exceed the requisite courses.

·
Banned
279 Posts
What would you do in this situation and why?
Let me tell you a story grasshoppa....

I once moved from Japan to Indiana right after 3rd grade. Here, the recommended age to move to the 4th grade was 10 years old. I was 9 and had a late birthday, July. The principle and my parents had a talk to decide what path is best for me. Should I move on to 4th grade a year behind? Or be held back so that I'm with kids my own age? My parents decided that I should be held back.

Of course at this time I was furious. After all, I was a big boy! i was supposed to be a 4th grader, plus everyone would think I failed, (insert juvenile ranting). But as I got older, I began to appreciate this to an enormous degree. The decision was made with the long term in mind. Especially the time of puberty. Having my peers start the transition to adulthood one year before me would have a significant impact on my social interaction. Maturity levels would collide and be visually noticeable. As a sophomore college student, I can spot the freshman instantly with their behavior (speech, body language, etc) alone. This noticeable ignorance due to lack of experience and knowledge would prevent me from wanting to interact with them on a deep level. Not compatible.That would be you, but from another fellow freshman's point of view. High school 18 to College 18 is very different even with no life duration difference. Social interaction may not be needed much as an INTP, but the few times you do wish to engage some of the human race, you will want to be able to relate and get along with these people. Being able to relate is key to friendship.

Every time I move on to the next grade, I imagine my life trajectory as if I hypothetically didn't repeat the third grade and imagine myself being friends with the people in the next grade. Very bleak. I look at these people saying to myself, i would never click with these guys. The compatibility just isn't there. The friends I have now whom I cherish (very few, I could count them on one hand) wouldn't exist along with innumerable cause and affect resulting vectors of life paths. I don't like the word fate, but it is as if I was meant to do that. I do not regret it whatsoever.

I do believe life does not need to be forced into today's educational system structure to be successful, in fact, it could use some improvements. However, I do believe that many things in life can never be taught, but rather must be experienced. Senior year in high school is one of those learning experiences. Not having this under your belt can alter your compatibility with others in the future simply because you did not attend your senior year by choice.

I say stick it out. I know, high school sucks, believe me I know. But you have an advantage that no one on that campus does. You can take just the classes you want and don't need a full schedule like everyone else. Mandatory high school attendance is another way of saying, "acquire 'x' number of credits before you're allowed to leave". Since you would have already completed this requirement, you are no longer forced to stay all day. You can fill your senior year schedule with just the classes you wish: Literature, psychology, and calculus, then LEAVE. I've seen kids like you who leave school early everyday while in high school.

In college, classes are much more rigorous. You simply cannot jump from 11th grade high school courses to college. Especially in the fields of math and history. Not realistic. College courses only last a semester (~ 4 months), in high school, subjects last (~8,9 months depending on school). So you're having to learn material based on the previous class in half the time, with more work of more difficulty. Times that by every class you will take at a university. I recommend taking these classes of interest listed above first, maybe even a physiology (biology but with focus and very educational) or AP class such as AP Psyche (I took it and LOVED it, something actually applicable to life). The three courses in which all students should be forced to take are college level pyschology, basic finance, and typing. Financial habits & decision making, how your brain operates, and typing are such crucial skills and pieces of knowledge to acquire in today's monetary and technological society. If you have not already done so, just fucking do it. I don't usually curse and feel it is unnecessary, often used by those who have a poor vocabulary, but I needed emphasis. This should give you a taste of college difficulty.

You can also apply for college your junior year, once accepted, all you have to do is maintain a certain grade point average and you're guaranteed to be admitted (Assuming you don't do something stupid). This can be seen as an opportunity to raise your GPA with only three classes. Very doable.

I'm going to stop lecturing you now. This is my knowledge of the situation you are faced with. I provided this to only have you make an informed decision. Simply telling a person to do something is not sufficient. Additional details and reasoning are needed so the person understands and can critique it. Ultimately, to each their own. Good luck.

- 20 year old

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I can see @mcstuart17 's point.

In a way, that last year of high school can prepare you in other ways. Maybe you could get a job to go along with your light schedule.

My biology teacher in highschool, whom I suspect was some kind of NxP, and awesome besides, told us all to get a job and save money, and travel the world.

An INTP takes awhile, usually more time than others, to blossom into what they really wanna do, and traveling can give you perspective that nothing else can. You don't really need to rush.

·
Banned
279 Posts
@Word Dispenser

Yes. A little job on the side with lenient hours is excellent in high school. Especially because you have very little responsibility. Once you get to college, a job is more a thing you do just to get by and have greater priorities besides your next masturbation session and if your actions will make you popular (stereotyping of course). In high school, it's just something you do for some side-cash, spending money.

I got my job as a Commissary Bagger (Military Grocery Store) at 16, still have it over three years later. I can not tell you (anyone reading this), how much better off I was simply because I had a lot of spending money. While everyone else was broke, I was buying airsoft guns, books, and electronics on Ebay,lots of food, and had plenty for gas money. All without the need for parental contribution. Much freedom is gained simply by being economically independent. This also teaches you money doesn't grow on trees. You will want to use your parent's money less and less except for the cases which are absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think you have 2 choice, First is taking more courses, open your eyes to possibility. Learn as much as possible.Second, design a solid plan for your future, get out of school ASAP. I prefer the first one, youth is not something to waste, world of adolescence is pretty different. Enjoy it while you can.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting a job actually sounds pretty sweet. Last year my Spanish teacher told me, "You'll never have as much disposable income in your life as you do in high school".

And travelling I'm already doing, actually. I'm a band geek, so I get to go on trips that way. Over the next summer I'll be spending a few months with family in Switzerland. And, if I stick with high school another year, I'll have the chance to go on a French exchange trip. Besides, if I start enjoying myself outside of school I might not want to go back!
@mcstuart17 Thank you very much for your advice. Certainly I'd be separating myself from my social equals, but I don't think that's as important a factor in my decision as the rest of it. I guess high school would suck less, too, if I'm taking light classes of only the kinds that I want to do. I see how another year of high school would probably make me a better person... It's hard to resist the temptation to race to the finish line, though.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I don't claim to be the best-disciplined, but if I'm motivated to do this, I will be able to do this. I have discipline enough for that.

Graduating early isn't a challenge. Where I live, there's only one required grade twelve course, and it can't be much more in America. The challenge is when you want to exceed the requisite courses.
Well my point was not that graduating is a challenge, but that if you're going to college, get out of high school as soon as you can because it is a waste of time. With the exception of math (which I tested straight to Calculus), I ended up retaking all of my high school classes anyway (english, biology, chemistry, physics) and they were all at a level that I could have understood in high school rather than retaking them. And I still had plenty of time to take electives that were unrelated to my major.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I say don't jump the gun just because you want to get it out of the way. I don't mean to play the whole 'young one' card, but at your age you will probably make decisions that you won't at all care for in the next 5 years. So give yourself time.

I'm starting university right now at 25 years old. I wouldn't have it any other way. In the time since school I just fucked around, had a job, was a bit lost, then suddenly I went travelling and didn't come home for two years; it made me the man I am today and I clearly know what I'm doing with myself now.

Us INTPs definitely need time. If I had gone to university at 18 years old, I know for certain I would have regretted how badly I had timed my life.

Fuck the social norms. And definitely fuck trying to get ahead of them! We really, really need time.

(Just my British socio-culturally biased opinion)

If you have something you wanna do, then do it. BUT, don't just arbitrarily choose something and tell yourself 'I probably like it enough to do forever'. That's not good enough. Sounds more like jumping through your own hoops just so you can get the fast-track of graduating a year early, which is a pointless feat in the span of your whole lifetime.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Yeah, I really fucked up big time by doing that. At least I learned from it though.
That's unlucky, but yeah as you said, life is all about learning I guess. Every mistake is worth making. In the years leading up to now, I had some pretty dark days, took loads of drugs and did actually go a little bit insane (of course I don't tell anyone about this in real life - but it was fucking hard). Still I came out of if and, as you say, a least I learned from it. I wouldn't change my past for anything. I think it's a fairly standard INTP mindset - not being too much hurt by a bad past, because everything is just a notch of experience.

Onwards and upwards!

·
Banned
279 Posts
It's hard to resist the temptation to race to the finish line, though.
Graduating high school is not the finish line. It is simply a milestone, far from over. Life begins once you are completely economically independent from your parents (including tuition, housing, food, clothing, car insurance, everything). Living in your own house/apartment, paying all your bills yourself. Life ends when you're dead (Assuming there isn't an afterlife).

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
1,201 Posts
When I graduated 11th grade I realized I had enough credits to graduate. I decided to stay another year to learn more. I sometimes ditched my school to visit my cousin at his. At that time I was #1 at my school so they didn't worry much about me missing days of school.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.