Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you shares yours...

Experiences with synchronicity? Please feel free to use this thread to tell about any mundane or mind blowing synchronicity that you have or currently are experiencing. Please, discuss the topic and share any literature or personal ideas about the phenomenon. Serious inquiries, jokes, videos, memes, gifs, anything. Are you seeing certain numbers repeating in your life? Have you thought of a song and turned on the radio to only hear it being played? Were you just thinking of someone and BAM they called??? Share it! You are not alone. :eagerness:

*** All types welcomed, of course. I just start threads here because I get lost easily and need to stay close to home. ***

Registered
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For my own experiences:

7, 8, 11, and 9's seem like to pop up in my life at various times. I haven't made any cool charts or graphs to track these random or not so random times, though, I should.

I wish I had record of all the moments a song I was thinking about or had stuck in my mind suddenly played very shortly after. There has always been this electricity in the air when it happens, too.

Interesting meme:

IMG_0127.JPG

Quote:

IMG_0164.JPG

Registered
Mine is a weak one, but I'll share it since it's recent and it involves PerC. Last night I went from an image search of engravings of debtor's prisons, to old engravings of prisons and prison cells in general, to a closer look at a very interesting early 19th century engraving depicting Faust visiting Margaret in prison.

FaustHenryMoses.jpg

(It's for sale, by they way. Yours for 拢300.) Which made me think of how I don't really know the whole story of Faust. Which led to Wikipedia disambiguation, and the "historical" figure, and Goethe, and . . . Christopher Marlowe. Because all roads lead to Marlowe. I spent the most time with the article about Marlowe's play. I learned that some ubiquitous quotations come from it.

Including: the saying, "Que sera, sera." In the play, Doctor Faustus uses the phrase in a different way and with a different tone than it is used in quotation. He is being arrogant and dismissive of the subject of Divinity. (See the section Faust learns necromancy)

And then tonight, I just saw that there was a video clip of the song "Que Sera, Sera" in a post made early today on the the Random Thoughts thread by @warweasel--someone who quite often has things to say about incarceration. From prisons, to Que sera, sera, to Que sera, sera, to another (tenuous) connection with prisons. Full circle. :proud:

Registered
For my own experiences:

7, 8, 11, and 9's seem like to pop up in my life at various times. I haven't made any cool charts or graphs to track these random or not so random times, though, I should.

I wish I had record of all the moments a song I was thinking about or had stuck in my mind suddenly played very shortly after. There has always been this electricity in the air when it happens, too.
Haha, I was just thinking about synchronicity earlier today, and then I see your thread! :crazy: I remember it's happened with one of @Snowflake Minuet's threads (I can't remember which one) before where she posted something that I was thinking of earlier that day. It really doesn't feel random either because it's usually too specific. It's not like I was thinking of a relationship thread, you know? :eek:h: I also notice that it seems to happen more with people I am in close contact to. When I was growing up, for instance, I was always on the same wavelength as my best friend, where we'd often (more often than normal) think the exact same thoughts at the same time, so I wonder if the synchronicity is enhanced by one's psychological proximity to the person too. I've also experienced hearing songs on the radio that I was thinking of right before it comes on multiple times too!

:laughing: That makes me think of this, but some of it does seem to be trying too hard to make a link:

Yes, it's such an Ni concept, so I don't understand why Jung is typed INTP so often. I've wanted to read his book on the subject. https://www.amazon.com/Synchronicity-Connecting-Principle-Collected-Extracts/dp/0691150508

I look for these kinds of connections across time, intertwining fates. I find it such a beautiful idea:

Registered
Not so much... or that I remember, really.

I do recall one specific event, though. My mom and I had gone shopping... I was 22, had a new job and money burning holes in my pockets, so... off we did go to buy stuff. Mostly I bought random stuff... albums and model cars, mostly. It was October 25th... winter on the way and so little to do in those days in the cold (hence the music & models).

At one point my mom tells me I should buy dress pants. I ask her why on earth would I spend that much money on some rather impractical? It's not like I was likely to wear them, after all. And she said You never know when you're going to have to go to a funeral.

At 0130 the next morning (just a few hours later, really), I get a phone call from my friend (god kids' mom) telling me my friend (her brother, Brian) had been in an accident and I needed to get to the hospital straight away. Of course... he was dead when she called me, she just didn't say that over the phone.

I've never forgotten that my mom said that. Obviously.

There were a couple of others things with that particular event; the night of the 26th (the day he died), a great many of his friends, myself included, saw the same falling star. And since he was killed as a passenger in a coworker's vehicle, his truck was missing.

It was found a couple days later in the back parking lot of the mortuary where he was laying quite dead.

Weird shit, dude.

Registered
I'm almost certain I've shared this quote before on the subject, but I love it so much that I will share it again! The Carl Jung quote in particular made me think of it. I'd love to come back on the weekend and write more too, great topic! :)

鈥淓arly in the novel that Tereza clutched under her arm when she went to visit Tomas, Anna meets Vronsky in curious circumstances: they are at the railway station when someone is run over by a train. At the end of the novel, Anna throws herself under a train. This symmetrical composition鈥攖he same motif appears at the beginning and at the end鈥攎ay seem quite 鈥渘ovelistic鈥 to you, and I am willing to agree, but only on condition that you refrain from reading such notions as 鈥渇ictive,鈥 鈥渇abricated,鈥 and 鈥渦ntrue to life鈥 into the word 鈥渘ovelistic.鈥 Because human lives are composed in precisely such a fashion.

鈥楾hey are composed like music. Guided by his sense of beauty, an individual transforms a fortuitous occurrence (Beethoven鈥檚 music, death under a train) into a motif, which then assumes a permanent place in the composition of the individual鈥檚 life. Anna could have chosen another way to take her life. But the motif of death and the railway station, unforgettably bound to the birth of love, enticed her in her hour of despair with its dark beauty. Without realizing it, the individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty even in times of greatest distress.

鈥業t is wrong, then, to chide the novel for being fascinated by mysterious coincidences (like the meeting of Anna, Vronsky, the railway station, and death or the meeting of Beethoven, Tomas, Tereza, and the cognac), but it is right to chide man for being blind to such coincidences in his daily life. For he thereby deprives his life of a dimension of beauty.鈥
(Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being
(The last paragraph particularly, but the rest I shared for context!)

Durian

Reactions: mp2 and INForJoking

Registered
I'm hesitant to write about specific experiences of synchronicity because I'm always cognizant of the fact that, from an outsider's perspective, it's very easy to say that I'm attributing meaning and relationship to events that need not necessarily be connected.

I have friends who I consider much more loose-headed than me and they tell me about their synchronicities and I just think, "wow, they're really stretching here. They're seeing meaning where there isn't any." And I can see how my experiences can be heard in the same way.

As experienced it's like there's a singular voice and a singular entity communicating to me through many different mouths. It's unsettling but it's also heartening. Makes me question the nature of existence. I really do closely scrutinize my synchronicities to try to see and understand how my faculty of forming interpretations imputes to events a sense of meaning and connection.

Even though the evidence sometimes seems to so strongly suggest the complete impossibility of a causal explanation it's like my mind can't agree to it or accept it. I abide unwillingly in ambiguity.

Registered
I鈥檝e always had this weird sort of thing with my brother. All the time, we鈥檒l text about a song or movie or book(many other things too) that we haven鈥檛 thought of in years but decided to revisit or visit at the same time, many times down to the same minute. Or often times we seem to be thinking about the same thing. We can also appear to guess if the other is sick or just not feeling well in some way, without interacting at all for several weeks before recognizing it. I really have no idea what to make of this, though. There have been a few times where I haven鈥檛 thought of or heard a song in 10-20 years and then I鈥檒l hear it as soon I think about it.

I鈥檓 crapped on by birds more than what should be common, also, in a way that just can鈥檛 be accidental, and typically it鈥檚 in areas that aren鈥檛 particularly heavy in bird traffic. There can be one bird in the sky, just passing over, and several other people out and yet I swear it targets me specifically. More than a few times it鈥檚 struck my glasses, and sometime inside a vary narrow gap between my glasses and skull right into my eye. I thought it might be the glasses at first, but it鈥檚 happened through several pairs of glasses. I鈥檓 trying to remember if I鈥檝e ever pissed off a gypsy at some point, or if my glasses have ever pissed of a gypsy at some point. I鈥檓 also convinced this is all a simulation and that there鈥檚 some sort of coding error in the highly improbable amount of bird crap I鈥檝e encountered. Though, I worry if humanity is ready for the truth so I think it may be best to just accept all the bird crap, for now. :numbness:

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
( I had a really cool response and it got deleted... :grey:)
Whatever, I'll trucker on. I do have a more in depth response for some of the responses on the thread and I'll post it, soon.

Regarding feeling super close to certain people and having synchronicity with them, Yes! I have felt it too! I have wondered about gypsy curses because to me, that has only been the legitimate reason.

One that sticks out is when my ENFP and I barely knew one another and one day I thought of a Wayne's world dialogue. We traced it back and he was thinking of the exact dialogue time wise when I was. No joke. Neither one of us even spoke about that movie with one another before hand.

Synchronicity or two people tapping into something...????

Registered
I鈥檓 crapped on by birds more than what should be common, also, in a way that just can鈥檛 be accidental, and typically it鈥檚 in areas that aren鈥檛 particularly heavy in bird traffic.
That is so sad! :crying:

It reminded me that my XH has more or less the antithesis to your gypsy curse: he wins things in drawings and raffles. All the time. Gypsy blessing, I guess.

Registered
This is a common and day-to-day experience for me.

I'd say it is just a form of precognition. If you are sensitive, you can begin to feel it enter your whatever, your head. Or you will look at something, say a specific colour, and it will just stand out more than usual. And you will see that later in the day.

My favourite experience of it though was when it went a little weird (most of my experiences are good and rather practical). I was going to work in the dark and as I was walking, I saw three blackbirds in the sky in the shape of a triangle. Just three small ones. While at work, I dropped plums on the floor again in the shape of a triangle, and in three. When I headed home, I took the train and entered a car and in front of me was graffiti---a large circle in dripping red paint with three circles in a triangle. I don't remember what happened at 3 PM but I know something did, and it was mundane. Perhaps I just opened the door to my house at exactly 3 PM. But this experience was wonderful to me because it really seemed something, a force, could orchestrate even living birds in such a way, or even me dropping fruit in such a weird way.

Synchronicities are caused by desires... You can see mine is particular. I actually love a lot of horror themed things, like old movies or games. And the dark birds in the dark sky, and even the bloody red paint harkened to the types of things I often look at.
Also, when I'd go to work there are often seagulls or no birds around. But there are days when a large group of just ravens will be huddled on the edge of the roof where you enter the building. So I got into the habit of counting the birds whenever I looked up at the sky in the morning, a little game I played when I worked at that place, and I'd also watch The Omen again, etc. The little boy Damon's nurse from hell actually tells him things like, look what your pet (from hell) gave you or what Lucifer gave you (I forget the exact words)---and I just realized that that's like what my experience is like lol.

Another one I've had is a nagging feeling to watch The Shining. Finally I ended up getting the soundtrack, and while listening, going down a hill, I saw the mountains and yes, it was just like the movie... All the thick snow, all fresh too, with pine trees, having snowed just overnight. This is a common type of synchronicity, that isn't weird.
Eventually I start working at a new place, where I did pass by a building daily (and buildings) that looked like the hotel in the movie. A giant beautiful retirement home actually, and really the whole area had groups of buildings like that, just standing on a plain field. Pretty weird and awesome looking. I was attracted to The Shining constantly.
I had been also drawn to movies set in desolate farmland by that point, also in the scenery for on the way to my new job. All events bring amusement to my life---I have not had anything stranger than the birds. Not exactly.

But synchronicity can also do naughty things, depending on your wishes. So then, you've got to learn how to control them, which is a good thing anyway.

Durian

Reactions: INForJoking

Registered
This is a common and day-to-day experience for me.

I'd say it is just a form of precognition. If you are sensitive, you can begin to feel it enter your whatever, your head. Or you will look at something, say a specific colour, and it will just stand out more than usual. And you will see that later in the day.
[ . . .]
Another one I've had is a nagging feeling to watch The Shining. Finally I ended up getting the soundtrack, and while listening, going down a hill, I saw the mountains and yes, it was just like the movie... All the thick snow, all fresh too, with pine trees, having snowed just overnight. This is a common type of synchronicity, that isn't weird.
Eventually I start working at a new place, where I did pass by a building daily (and buildings) that looked like the hotel in the movie. A giant beautiful retirement home actually, and really the whole area had groups of buildings like that, just standing on a plain field. Pretty weird and awesome looking. I was attracted to The Shining constantly.
I had been also drawn to movies set in desolate farmland by that point, also in the scenery for on the way to my new job. All events bring amusement to my life---I have not had anything stranger than the birds. Not exactly.

But synchronicity can also do naughty things, depending on your wishes. So then, you've got to learn how to control them, which is a good thing anyway.
I don't do horror :unsure: except the mild fantasy hybrid here and there, but birds do seem to be a thing for me too, raschel. I suspect they are also a universal thing--anthropology or archetype, take your pick. So often they are often the first animal a baby gets really excited about. "Watch the birdie!" And then there's the popularity of birds in divination, in the Classical world and elsewhere.

My strangest incident also involved a bird. It was when I was sixteen. And the strangest part now, is that I can't remember whether the single image in my head that remains of what were once two images was the prefiguring dream, or the the thing the dream prefigured. All I know is that there were two dead birds, one in a dream and one in real life, and the only one I can remember is a dead crow under a cherry tree in our yard. I was unsettled enough that in the intervening years, the other half of the memory simply disappeared.

...And I'll add another little piece of PerC synchronicity: a little while ago I started writing a thread-starting post about a documentary called The Filmworker, but put it aside, did not finish the post. It was a beautiful film I took as a cautionary tale for INFJs with self-abnegating tendencies. (Moral of which: self-awareness won't save you, INFJ . . . but it also kind of might.) It is about the working relationship between the actor Leon Vitali, who gave up his acting career to become Stanley Kubric's lifelong assistant/slave, and Stanley Kubric. With lots of of gorgeous footage from The Shining, which I would probably never otherwise have seen, since I know that movie is way too scary for me. :tongue:

Registered
That is so sad! :crying:

It reminded me that my XH has more or less the antithesis to your gypsy curse: he wins things in drawings and raffles. All the time. Gypsy blessing, I guess.
I've known a few people with apparent Gypsy Blessings who appear to win things like that all the time. The only thing I've ever won was a bicycle from a drawing contest as a kid, and my grandmother drew my entry and I never even saw it. I had that bicycle for years but with every bike ride I took I knew I was living a lie :grief:

Maybe there was a talented child gypsy artist who would have won if not for my dishonest entry and that was where the whole thing started. I do remember my grandmother's drawing being described as a winter scene with many birds :shocked:

Registered
Maybe there was a talented child gypsy artist who would have won if not for my dishonest entry and that was where the whole thing started. I do remember my grandmother's drawing being described as a winter scene with many birds :shocked:
Spoooky! So, was your grandmother one of the people with a gypsy blessing, or just a talented forger of children's art? :biggrin:

Registered
Spoooky! So, was your grandmother one of the people with a gypsy blessing, or just a talented forger of children's art? :biggrin:
Hm, she might have been. Now that I think about it, the cellar full of "children's art" I found, along with thousands of dollars in Romanian lei and bicycles, is all starting to look a little suspicious :thinking2:

Registered
I should add, I wrote the part on feeling it entering your head or space because I thought it would be helpful to know how to differentiate a genuine coincidence to a synch. You need a second layer to make sure, unless you are just playing. But some people use synchronicity to get somewhere (such as in Law of Attraction). People have used the pendulum too, to make sure.

@mp2 I used to be afraid of animals in general when I was a kid. I have had birds drop things on me, as opposed to pooh lol. A melon which would smash into a lot of pieces once it hit the ground---makes you think, that must have been really done on purpose? Such force... I think I have had a bird drop a stone too. But I had always missed these (as well as miss soccer balls, footballs). I have been chased by crows, crowed at, etc. This doesn't happen anymore.
It's rather the opposite. I often find birds or rabbits don't run away when I'm there. And I have an incident where I was waiting for a bus and freaked out by a weird shadow... I thought it was a cat running in a weird way. When I turned, it was two rabbits on the road and they then stopped in front of me and basically stayed there till the bus came.

@Paper Shade I didn't know birds were used in divination! That is neat :pinkface: And I had only heard of Athena and her owl but I see there is more than that. I often find hybrids, like in Egyptian deities they are often half human...
I think because they can appear anytime they want, they sort of have a magical quality. Something colourful and unexpected that brightens your day. I have a lot of good memories with birds that way. How often can you find a stag appear suddenly in your driveway? They're a bit large... but I've had a few moments like that. Deer always amaze me, no matter how often I see them. Another animal that appears often for me are rabbits. And I see other animals but not in a real form, just as an image or an image in my mind.

I guess the INFJ could be looked at that way, as they are good at hiding =) A groundhog that comes out only in February.

Which leads me to something I forgot to add in my other post. Associations. I might see in my mind randomly, a pink rabbit---then an event happens later, I hear someone's conversation or get a piece out of it, something important that piques my interest, and that is when the pink rabbit appears (say, on the person's bag). Was not about the rabbit, but the rabbit was like a placeholder.

Everyone's been mentioning synchronicity happening on the forum and the same happens with me. In one case, I think we all basically turn into symbols and if we have an animal as an avatar or we are known for particular things, I may see you not as your name but as that symbol =)

Registered
I should add, I wrote the part on feeling it entering your head or space because I thought it would be helpful to know how to differentiate a genuine coincidence to a synch. You need a second layer to make sure, unless you are just playing.
I kind of am just playing, most of the time. Especially here on the forum. But in the real world I am playing with a little ? at the end. If there is something to learn, I don't want to miss out by wrapping everything up tight with Ti packing tape and posting it down the unimportant memory mail chute.

But some people use synchronicity to get somewhere (such as in Law of Attraction). People have used the pendulum too, to make sure.
the pendulum?

@Paper Shade I didn't know birds were used in divination! That is neat :pinkface: And I had only heard of Athena and her owl but I see there is more than that. I often find hybrids, like in Egyptian deities they are often half human...
I think because they can appear anytime they want, they sort of have a magical quality. Something colourful and unexpected that brightens your day. I have a lot of good memories with birds that way.
Me too. Corvids especially, because you know they are checking you out as much as you are checking them out. It always feels like A Moment.

Which leads me to something I forgot to add in my other post. Associations. I might see in my mind randomly, a pink rabbit---then an event happens later, I hear someone's conversation or get a piece out of it, something important that piques my interest, and that is when the pink rabbit appears (say, on the person's bag). Was not about the rabbit, but the rabbit was like a placeholder.

Everyone's been mentioning synchronicity happening on the forum and the same happens with me. In one case, I think we all basically turn into symbols and if we have an animal as an avatar or we are known for particular things, I may see you not as your name but as that symbol =)
I know what you mean. I still see you as a textile print you used to have as your avatar, raschel.

Speaking of birds... Question: Has anyone else been mobbed by an owl? Is it common? I have been mobbed by both a crow like raschel, and by an owl. Minding my business, walking on a normal trail. It was surprisingly frightening! Especially the owl, because it was so persistent, although the crow is the one that actually touched my head with its claws.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts