Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Norton is a method actor and that is directly related to Fi. So right off the bat I would say XXFP. His motivations are in line with his characters. He becomes each character. When you are using Fi in acting, YOU BELIEVE you are that character. You feel everything your character feels while you are are character.

I would also say he is an idealist.
Like his parents, he [Norton] shares a passion for social issues and has been a leading advocate for solar energy, working with British Petroleum to provide solar panels to low-income homes in the L.A. area.
In regards to China:
The US is still sending people in with this notion that we can fix other people's problems without really understanding the depth of the cultural forces that are there."

This is a topic on which Norton speaks with real passion. He's not acting, but like a good Method actor he will store these feelings and retrieve them when needed – when the lights are on and the camera is rolling.
I believe that he is also an intuitive:
Arguably, one of Norton's greatest strengths as an actor is his boundless curiosity and his ability to absorb everything around him. Born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1969 to Edward Norton Senior, an attorney who works for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and Robin, an English teacher, he was instilled with a love of learning and an insatiable appetite for knowledge. He has a lifelong interest in acting (at 8, he reportedly asked his drama teacher what his motivation was for a scene), and later studied Japanese culture, photography, flying and literature.
I think he is an XNFP.

Although this:
Norton has also worked as a waiter, proofreader, and a director's assistant. He plays guitar, professional-level poker and has taken a course in soap-making. Thanks to his grandfather, James Rouse, the inventor of the shopping mall, he developed an interest in architecture and worked briefly at the Osaka branch of his grandfather's company before pursuing an acting career.
Just wreaks ENFP to me. :tongue:

Reactions: SarahWilliams

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I know this is necro but I started to look into Norton's type out of curiosity myself and I'm settled on INTP. I've seen a lot of inferior Fe in him, especially in interviews when he's alone with the interviewer. An introverted intuitive is obvious to me. In every interview Norton's in, he's all about making connections. From what I've seen, he's got a decent Si (he also has a major in history), decent Fi, well-developed Fe and very strong Ni. Ne does not seem to be as apparent at first, but I think that's because he's actually cutting off his Ne a lot with Ti. Ti seems to be hidden in Fe but if you look at his demeanor, he's just way too socially awkward to strike me as an INFJ. It's as if Norton's uncomfortable with his own body and he's mentioned his mind-space a lot, which would really point even further to introverted thinking. I don't see Fi as much as I see Ti him.

As @L'Empereur noted in that interview about Fight Club, he comes off as very INTP-ish there and it appears as if his Fe is actually less apparent than in previous interviews I've studied him in, for reasons that are unknown to me. Maybe it's because Pitt's around? So funny watching Norton and Pitt in that interview. Perfect example of ESFP (?) versus INTP. It almost seems as if Norton's bored/annoyed with Pitt (especially when he goes into the thinker pose a little less than 3 minutes in, but you can see it happening when Brad takes over the turn to talk earlier than that) because he seems to think Brad's too superficial in his comments. It seems as if Norton has a lot he wants to say about Fight Club that seems very NeTi-ish to me but is holding back, perhaps because he knows that going on Ti rants is not a particularly smart thing to do in public. He's doing some of it anyway but yes, holding back. I can see the frustration in him and I know that frustration well.

It's also worth noting that Norton used to be in the debate club, and it is possible that it his grandfather or perhaps father (who at least may have been feelers based on their work) that helped him to develop his F. For the record, holding idealistic values do not necessarily imply that the person must be an idealist at all costs. I also hold very idealistic values for an INTP due to my strong Fi but I'm nonetheless a Ti dom.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
He's ISFP, most likely. So is Brad Pitt, but this isn't about him.

I can tell Norton is stayed in his psyche, viewing from an Introverted function. From the inside out. He's not so concerned with using external resources, so I'd rule out Extrovert (I).

I hope no-one is calling him an Intuitivist because he seems to have far away look in his eyes and is soft-spoken. I'd say he utilizes the stimuli of external resources to absorb details (S).

From the way he conducts himself, he doesn't give attention to an order of ideals that Fe seems to. To me he's giving off independent energy. I see Fi dominance (F). Ti is pure strategy. He doesn't seem to be focused on the effectivity of his ideas. I feel he's using people to develop his reasoning.

And he's far from being so deliberate with his thoughts. More open to interpretation (P).

·
Banned
956 Posts
He's an INFJ. He's private, intuitive, and has keen perception on human emotions and how he exudes it when in character. I used to think Brad Pitt was ISFP but now I'm thinking INFP after seeing a couple of interviews; he's not concrete in answers.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeah, he's obviously an INFJ... ENFP? really? He's not remotely Ne dominant. INTP? He's clearly a feeler and an Ni dom. Look at the inside the actors studio interview. Clear Ni-Fe...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts