Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. here's the deal. the older i get, it seems that it takes me longer to recharge. I just need blocks of "unwinding" time to recharge my batteries, and if I don't recharge all the way, I run my day on low energy and get exhausted sooner.

The only thing is, my schedule doesn't allow for that block of time i really need. Sometimes I need a full day and a half off after a rough week - by rough week, i mean working M-F (almost all day), going to class almost every day, going to meetings in the evenings, growing to-do lists, having absolutely no personal down-time for myself until the weekend. By mid-week (wednesday), I am exhausted and I need to recharge, but I can't until the weekend, so I end up getting more exhausted and... I NEED TO RECHARGE!

So yeah... what have been efficient ways for y'all to recharge...? Tell me what works. Usually, I spend that day and a half being utterly inefficient, just loafing around my room, listening to music, tidying up, browsing the net, etc. BUT, I realize that I need some time to recharge every day. So yes, any input on how to recharge efficiently and thoroughly every evening will be helpful.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It may help if you can fully recharge each evening. Or set aside some time each day to recharge. I basically recharge by doing the things I enjoy like watching a movie or reading a book or comic. The only criteria is that these mediums have to be inspiring or uplifting in a way. Kind of like keeping me in touch with my inner purpose.

For example, if I want to become stronger for the sake of someone I love, then watching Star Wars and all that works for me. It's the whole saving the world thing which I can identify strongly with. I am reminded of my purpose and that short stretch each evening helps. Sometimes if I don't have the time for a movie, then it will be a comic or a book for an hour or so. A getaway of sorts into a world that I love.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Digital Devices Deprive your Brain of Needed Downtime - NYTimes.com

That might apply to you, I dunno. I find that just meditating or napping helps me recover from things a lot better than listening to music, watching movies, playing video games etc.

It might be that the downtime you are affording yourself isn't as efficient as it could be. I was playing video games a lot in my downtime recently when I was feeling very stressed out from classes, but it didn't seem to help enough.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I was in college, I would try to show up to lectures 15-20 minutes early so I could just have some quiet time to read, study, or just close my eyes and rest for a little while. I still have a habit of showing up insanely early to social gatherings, doctor appointments, etc.

Reactions: The Vizier

·
Registered
802 Posts
I try to walk regularly. Being outside and exercising helps me recharge. Also, in the evenings I spend 5-10 minutes stretching before bed, even on the days I missed out on my walk. Doing so relaxes my muscles and helps me sleep better.

Also, try listening to soothing music. Close your eyes. Visualize yourself in a calming place. Take some deep breaths and hold them for a few minutes before you let them out. At first this might take ten to fifteen minutes before you start feeling relaxed, but soon you'll begin to feel relaxed as soon as you start. Consistency is really important with this, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts