Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello cousins! I know I'm INFJ but from my INTJ friends, I know that you guys recharge all the time too, so I'm posting on here.! the older i get, it seems that it takes me longer to recharge. I just need blocks of "unwinding" time to recharge my batteries, and if I don't recharge all the way, I run my day on low energy and get exhausted sooner.

The only thing is, my schedule doesn't allow for that block of time i really need. Sometimes I need a full day and a half off after a rough week - by rough week, i mean working M-F (almost all day), going to class almost every day, going to meetings in the evenings, growing to-do lists, having absolutely no personal down-time for myself until the weekend. By mid-week (wednesday), I am exhausted and I need to recharge, but I can't until the weekend, so I end up getting more exhausted and... I NEED TO RECHARGE!

So yeah... what have been efficient ways for y'all to recharge...? Tell me what works. Usually, I spend that day and a half being utterly inefficient, just loafing around my room, listening to music, tidying up, browsing the net, etc. BUT, I realize that I need some time to recharge every day. So yes, any input on how to recharge efficiently and thoroughly every evening will be helpful.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Well everyone needs to recharge regardless of their type if up to their necks with work,school, etc. I was thinking this thread would be more along the lines of recharging from social activities.

Loafing around does wonders for me, as does listening to music, reading, watching the History Channel or political shows, browsing the web--you could go for walks, go exercise which of course neurochemically helps relieve stress, go for a massage, do therapeutics (yoga, tai chi, qigong, or general meditation).

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no, this can refer to social activities, too. I recently had two major social activities, and i think all meetings fall into the category of social for me. Usually 1/4 of the meeting is socializing and small talk, and there's always the after-mingling, at least where I am at right now. And since it's not up to me to determine these things, i'm stuck doing a lot of socializing. :(

So yes, recharging.... as a general thing, not just with work, school, etc :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Try meditation. Go to a dark, quiet room. Sit on the ground, cross legged. Close your eyes and focus on the darkness. Breathe in slowly for 3 seconds, then 3 seconds out. Think of any problems you have, and let them float away into the darkness. That will cause those problems to be associated with a relaxing feeling. You can do that once or twice a day, if you want.

Working out is also good. I start with cardio - stair climber, treadmill then stationary bike. Weighted pull-ups and dips. Then lift and press and ab machine. Not sure if you'll want to use that specific workout routine though :) But those exercises are all compound, so they work a lot of muscles at the same time and so that releases a lot of endorphins (not to mention are better exercises then isolation. Swimming works the most muscles for a cardio exercise, and so it burns the most calories, but I don't have a convenient pool.) Then I have a whey protein shake and nap.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
When I'm healthy I jog, walk, and do yoga. Sometimes I meditate for 30 minutes. Listening to calm music is good too. I also like to lay out on my porch and watch the sunrise with a nice hot cup of tea.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I am working through a stressful personal situation and also need more 'recharge' than normal. I find that walking and driving without music, so I can let my thoughts free associate, does wonders. I can rehearse my day and replay my reactions. I also journal. Mindless loafing works but does take a long time. Thoughtful, intentional 'me' time is the most efficient method for me.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I am a robot fueled by misanthropy. Thank you for the refill.

My favourite: I have a sledge hammer and a backyard full of things to destroy.

My other favourite: I lock myself in my room and watch documentaries.

My other other favourite: Classical music.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I didn't understand the need to 'recharge' and found myself falling asleep when gaming with my EN friends. They all seemed to understand, perhaps my ENTJ friend most of all.

I don't have anything particularly novel or healthy to suggest, as drinking to the point that I actually listen to music is not good for most people. It works for me, but would worry most people.

As an alternative, have you considered cutting back on your schedule? Look at getting rid of the non-essential, because just reading through your week tired me out. When my ENFP was in New York City, she was doing things EVERY night, and I found myself sleeping through the day while she was at work just so I could go out at night and get worn out. She's far more restless here in Brisvegas, but I actively encourage her to go out without me, as it benefits her regardless of what I'm doing.

Then again, I'm a shift worker in a job that is equal parts customer service and potentially claustraphobic isolation. (it's good I enjoy small spaces)

I'm not sure if I've helped, but it would be nice if I have.

·
Registered
652 Posts
So yeah... what have been efficient ways for y'all to recharge...? Tell me what works. Usually, I spend that day and a half being utterly inefficient, just loafing around my room, listening to music, tidying up, browsing the net, etc. BUT, I realize that I need some time to recharge every day. So yes, any input on how to recharge efficiently and thoroughly every evening will be helpful.
i have found that since i started jogging with my ipod for half an hour each day or every other day, esp in the morning, i start each day fully charged and have soo much more energy to deal with everything than i ever had before, its real good 'me' time and unstresses my body and energises me and has got me fitter so i feel much better able to manage all the 'other stuff';
also i find that when i go for a jog on my weekend mornings, it makes me more productive for the rest of the day and better able to deal with my 'to do' list stuff instead of just loafing around achieving nothing and then even more mentally weighed down the next week thinking about the stuff i havent done

·
Registered
725 Posts
I never quite understood what recharge meant. I am not so much like a battery. I can't unwind through recreating. Actually, the more relaxing the activity, the more I can think of to stress about. The only thing I could think of that sort of sounds like recharging is finding some fun problem and doing problem solving as a distraction. Then after a few hours of that I can go back to normal life more refreshed, I guess. Sounds like you guys have found the off switch.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the replies so far! i think i need a little vacation to myself. :) but other than that, any tips on recharging after a social situation, where you have to be at another social situation in 30 minutes? i usualy dont plan my social things back to back but at work sometimes we have mandatory meetings and then a mixer/dinner (unavoidable).

the meetings themselves are too social for me. :p and by the dinner, my mood is "dont talk to me... ahhaHAksladse8q0e."

·
Registered
147 Posts
thanks for the replies so far! i think i need a little vacation to myself. :) but other than that, any tips on recharging after a social situation, where you have to be at another social situation in 30 minutes? i usualy dont plan my social things back to back but at work sometimes we have mandatory meetings and then a mixer/dinner (unavoidable).

the meetings themselves are too social for me. :p and by the dinner, my mood is "dont talk to me... ahhaHAksladse8q0e."
At my work I have to interact with lots of peeps and eventually I get tired of them, so I step outside for about 5-10 minutes just to chill out and recooperate. Or you can take a nap; usually for me a 15-minute nap feels like 1 hour's worth of sleep.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts