Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!!!!! I know I'm INFJ but from my ISTJ friends, I know that you guys recharge all the time, so I'm posting on here. It seems the older i get, it takes me longer to recharge. I just need blocks of "unwinding" time to recharge my batteries, and if I don't recharge all the way, I run my day on low energy and get exhausted sooner.

The only thing is, my schedule doesn't allow for that block of time i really need. Sometimes I need a full day and a half off after a rough week - by rough week, i mean working M-F (almost all day), going to class almost every day, going to meetings in the evenings, growing to-do lists, having absolutely no personal down-time for myself until the weekend. By mid-week (wednesday), I am exhausted and I need to recharge, but I can't until the weekend, so I end up getting more exhausted and... I NEED TO RECHARGE!

So yeah... what have been efficient ways for y'all to recharge...? Tell me what works. Usually, I spend that day and a half being utterly inefficient, just loafing around my room, listening to music, tidying up, browsing the net, etc. BUT, I realize that I need some time to recharge every day. So yes, any input on how to recharge efficiently and thoroughly every evening will be helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to sit down and do something that's relaxing and quiet. And of course being alone definitely helps. But as far as what I do specifically, there's nothing much. I just go on the computer and/or read then make sure I get a solid 8 hours of sleep. Anytime I'm working out something or I need to "recharge" I just have to relax enough and let my body/mind fix itself.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Apparently we are special introverts, and people go out of their way to ask us how we do the same things they do.

I will often have a beer then watch my favorite show online Around The Horn or maybe a different show like Tosh.0. I like to have a friend over for a movies + video games + beer to help forget the nerves and chatter in my head for the night. I think masturbation is a healthy practice as well, it just kills the nerves for a few hours, and I know what women say about this topic but men work differently, don't act like you know.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Try spending 30 minutes each night recharging rather than waiting until the end of the week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like to set time aside for cooking, personally... Especially cooking for other people, it's much more satisfying that way. I was starting to get my INFJ friend into it this summer - he doesn't need the feeling of providing for other people as much as I do, but he does highly value self-reliance, and being able to cook elaborate meals by yourself can certainly make you feel a bit of that.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I find that when travelling from work to home or vice versa is a very good time to recharge. It gives you some alone time and time to reflect that we need. I just tend to observe what's happening around me and enjoy the beauty of life. It also doesn't mess with a busy schedule and can be done daily.

Also, when I am lying on the bed trying to fall asleep and can't, serves well for an efficient way. So, I wake up fresh, recharged and ready to go every morning. I think almost any solitary activity that you enjoy doing would work well though it does require time which could be hard if you have a busy routine.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
On the relatively good days I walk into my room and work on my guitar. I go over the chromatic scale from 60 to 120 bpm, then do the pentatonic scale from 60 to 120bpm. The mindless, repetitive, solitary workout is food for my soul and hopefully muscle strength for my fingers.

On the lesser days I read. I reserve my Isaac Asimov for the better days, so it's time for some dark, grim entertainment with the Phil K. Dick.

On the days that I'm utterly wasted, I go home and sleep. Nothing beats this one.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I recharge everyday--30 minutes seems to be enough mostly. I listen to music, go online, read, or if I have an extended time for solitude, get started on a project. No, not something for school or work, but Modeling. I build model airplanes. I find it very relaxing and it involves problem solving, working with my hands and artistic release.

Maybe you could pick up a hobby like that, something that lets you unwind. :happy:

OWL

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Which makes me wonder what does recharging mean to you? Is it alone time? Or is it reflect upon time? Is it doing something you enjoy time?
As Rhee pointed out, it depends on what is needed. If I am totally drained emotionally, then sleep is the best option. If I need reflecting time, then a repetitive and relatively mindless activity, such as running scales on an instrument, working out, driving, folding laundry, etc., can provide the needed outlet. Sometimes, "me time" such as reading or watching a movie is much better. Spending time with SWMBO can be quite relaxing and recharge the batteries--as long as she isn't in the mood to deal with heavy issues. "What should we do about _______?" is sure to start a drain. While going for a walk with her in the park can provide enough solitude to recharge the batteries.

HTH

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've never been one to " sleep in", but I will nap during the afternoon on the weekend to recharge.
Other ways I recharge the batteries are, getting on my bicycle and go for a long ride, pop in a Mel Brooks, David Sucker & Jim Abraham or a Wayan brother movie, for some mindless humor or just by getting away for a day, with the wife, for lunch and a nice walk along the lake.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Great question.

In the past I use to take walks, at night. I lived on 10 acres and would just pace the yard for hours at a time. Walking in the woods with my .22 shooting squirrels was always a fun past time as a kid. Anymore now a day its just absolute laziness. I find myself playing Call of Duty a lot, and that helps only if i'm winning :eek: (Which is fairly often ;p)

My biggest goal in life right now is saving up for a camera. My ultimate recharging is going to be photography. Far away from anyone, in the middle of nowhere taking pictures. I envision myself floating down a river in a kayak with my camera in hand, taking pictures of the alligators and other various wild life / trees, stumps, etc. Or deep in the woods sneaking up on a fox (hahaha) you get the pic.

Edit: Another thing that really does it for me is movies. Movies that captivate your imagination and allow you to completely pull away from reality (Heroes, for instance) that works wonders.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I also like to go for walks or take little breaks throughout the day so I don't get worn out. I actually find myself to be more efficient when I take breaks rather than working straight through because when I work for hours straight I tend to lose momentum and get worn out. A couple of different strategies I have taken are: work for 45 min straight, take 15 min break, 45 min work, 15 min break, etc. or maybe I will work for 2 hours straight and then take a half an hour break. I find that 2 hours seems to be my max of working straight efficiently, otherwise I start to get angsty, but it's about finding whatever works best for you.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
A couple of different strategies I have taken are: work for 45 min straight, take 15 min break, 45 min work, 15 min break, etc. or maybe I will work for 2 hours straight and then take a half an hour break. I find that 2 hours seems to be my max of working straight efficiently, otherwise I start to get angsty, but it's about finding whatever works best for you.
haha...I follow the same strategy when studying. Except the problem is that I study for 30 mins and then take a break for 30 mins and so on. Really, in the end, I manage to waste as much time as I would have if I hadn't taken the break :wink::dry:. I recommend you have great self control before you decide to follow this strategy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts