Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading The Mystic in the Theatre about the late actress Eleonora Duse I've become obsessed with the idea of ego death; both in my life and my writing.

The book paints her as a INFP with manic mood swings without a doubt. If you're a theatre nerd its a must read

Anyway, I went through this to varying degrees in high school, willingly. Its been a long time since, but after reading this book I've come to experience it through sex, of all things (only recently).

Just wondering if anyone here has experienced this and if you'd be willing to share your..experience.

Ego death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shes pretty much my hero but I'll never see her perform...kinda depressing.

·
Registered
689 Posts
wut?
Ego death... Through sex?
I wish for you to explain how you became totally unaware of "I" while you were doing the hibbity dibbity.

I've experienced ego death, but only when dosed high on psychedelics- Or a single dose of 20x Salvia Divinorum.
I can't say I remember much...
It's just... A... Uh... Void... But... You are the void... But "I" doesn't exist...
It can't be explained to one who hasn't had the experience, honestly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting topic.

I didn't know the concept of ego death, but now I read a bit about it I think I've already experienced it in different occasions at some extent. Maybe not to the bigger degree, I think.
The first time I understood better something like that was while a philosophy class, as a conclusion of the conversation that was going on. When the class finished I was like very high during some hours and everything felt different but I think it wasn't Ego Death since I was everything but I still was myself. But since then I think I've experiencied something similiar to EG, through Salvia, sometimes pot and once while getting intimate with a man, not really sex. That time I had also had alcohol and a bit of cocain, though. When I'm very tired, slepping badly and/or spending all my time around people/events/much information I feel (or not feel, wtv) somewhat that.

If it is what I think I feel like it changed my life completely, I have a different view of everything since, I'm aware in a different way, and it isn't all that good since now everything seems pointless and I have an hard time stoping thinking about that. Which make me wanting to go back to that state again, or just live as part of the machine I seem to be.

I'm really sorry English isn't my main language; it's even harder to explain something that way. But I would like to read more about this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wut?
Ego death... Through sex?
I wish for you to explain how you became totally unaware of "I" while you were doing the hibbity dibbity.

I've experienced ego death, but only when dosed high on psychedelics- Or a single dose of 20x Salvia Divinorum.
I can't say I remember much...
It's just... A... Uh... Void... But... You are the void... But "I" doesn't exist...
It can't be explained to one who hasn't had the experience, honestly.
I've been wanting to try salvia FOREVER. so hard to find in illinois..

I can't really explain how it happens. I thought at first it was me becoming so consumed for me desire to please whomever I was with that I lost myself. .

I came to realize that its a bit more. I'm always 'out of it' and 'not myself' after sex. the state is very similar to the self induced trances i'd put myself under in high school during plays. it eventually started happening involuntarily.

something about the environment, the emotions and physical connection just dissolves me.
my ex used to say she'd sleep with one person and climax with another.

yea i know wtf.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting topic.

I didn't know the concept of ego death, but now I read a bit about it I think I've already experienced it in different occasions at some extent. Maybe not to the bigger degree, I think.
The first time I understood better something like that was while a philosophy class, as a conclusion of the conversation that was going on. When the class finished I was like very high during some hours and everything felt different but I think it wasn't Ego Death since I was everything but I still was myself. But since then I think I've experiencied something similiar to EG, through Salvia, sometimes pot and once while getting intimate with a man, not really sex. That time I had also had alcohol and a bit of cocain, though. When I'm very tired, slepping badly and/or spending all my time around people/events/much information I feel (or not feel, wtv) somewhat that.

If it is what I think I feel like it changed my life completely, I have a different view of everything since, I'm aware in a different way, and it isn't all that good since now everything seems pointless and I have an hard time stoping thinking about that. Which make me wanting to go back to that state again, or just live as part of the machine I seem to be.

I'm really sorry English isn't my main language; it's even harder to explain something that way. But I would like to read more about this.
i feel the same way. theres life before EG and life after.

i was going to ask "why'd you feel that everything was pointless?" then again EG is the dissolution of self.. dumb question

I think i've been addicted to it and actively seek it.

Besides the book i mentioned I'm not sure where else to look...i've gotta ask my psych nerd friends if they know of anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
About Salvia I really want to say that it was one of the more intense experiences of my life. And I also loved how I felt the days after, I was truly less anxious, more in peace in myself. I highly recommend it, the only down is the price to me.

I'll try to find the book somewhere, which seem to be difficult in Portugal. Actually what facisnates me about theatre is when the actor really becomes the character he is playing while acting. A colleague of mine, an actor also, told me something about that once.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Ego death? There's nothing to die! :crazy:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I hope you realize that true ego death is something that takes years of meditation, practice and concentration to achieve in sobriety.

Aside from that, there is such a thing as Kundalini experiences occurring during sex.
(Kundalini rising and meeting with the Crown Chakra causes a surge and merging with 'Shakti'; the sorta... Creative energy of the universe.)
Did you notice any burning sensations in your back while you were gettin' down?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Kill Ego.
Shatter self.
???
Profit.

From what I read, Duse regularly did this for performances, suppressing her own ego to more fully envelop that of her characters.
The ego doesn't actually exist.

You can try and kill the idea of the ego, like what you say. But then who is killing the ego? Your ego. The only way to lose the ridiculous ego idea is to let it slip away. Maybe that's what this Duse does?

·
Registered
689 Posts
The ego doesn't actually exist.

You can try and kill the idea of the ego, like what you say. But then who is killing the ego? Your ego. The only way to lose the ridiculous ego idea is to let it slip away. Maybe that's what this Duse does?
Zazen meditation, with other, possibly ritualistic, practices of the "Shamanic Ecstasy" involved?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Zazen meditation, with other, possibly ritualistic, practices of the "Shamanic Ecstasy" involved?
Oh yes, perhaps. Zazen is more for itself than the achieve "enlightenment," so to speak, but you are quite correct in pointing this out. I do not know much of this "shamanic ecstasy" you speak of. Would you like to explain?

Lots of people seem to be under the notion that in order to understand or get anything really great, you have to go through lots of pain and suffer for it to get there. You've got to deserve it. But that simply isn't the case. The loss of the funny little ego idea can hit anybody on the head, even someone who hasn't even heard of any of this or has ever done meditation.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Oh yes, perhaps. Zazen is more for itself than the achieve "enlightenment," so to speak, but you are quite correct in pointing this out. I do not know much of this "shamanic ecstasy" you speak of. Would you like to explain?
Honestly, that would take a LOT of time.
It's like trying to explain what feeling all emotions at the same time is. Negative and positive.

Lots of people seem to be under the notion that in order to understand or get anything really great, you have to go through lots of pain and suffer for it to get there. You've got to deserve it. But that simply isn't the case. The loss of the funny little ego idea can hit anybody on the head, even someone who hasn't even heard of any of this or has ever done meditation.
You are correct about this- It's the same way with Kundalini rising.
However, one that isn't prepared for such an event will likely not have much fun with total ego loss.

The ego is shaved away- Not simply broken, then lost forever.
And remember, ego DOES exist and is needed. It is a mistake to have disposition for the ego.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Loved the rest of your post! But I must point out this:

The ego is a concept. Nothing more. The idea of a permanent self, a deep down "you," is simply mistaken.
Oh, I'm very inclined to agree with that.
"The universe is within."

I only speak of the ego within the concept of the subjective experience of reality. We each have an ego, like an eggshell, for our consciousness. Otherwise, how would we be able to enjoy such splendors and trials? :]

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I only speak of the ego within the concept of the subjective experience of reality. We each have an ego, like an eggshell, for our consciousness. Otherwise, how would we be able to enjoy such splendors and trials? :]
Ah. :happy:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I experienced ego death on a high dose of very pure LSD.

The dose was about 500 micrograms (a small amount to the eye, but the potency of the drug is nothing to take lightly at all. The threshold dose is 20 micrograms) I wanted to trip not for fun, but because I wanted to have a trip deep inside of myself and hope to answer some questions I have had about myself and my life previously to the trip. It was a few days before Christmas in 2009. My brother and I dropped the LSD at about 9 PM. We were tripping at my mom's house, a very colorful and "trippy" place if I might add. My mom was in bed already so she wasn't a problem. We were sitting around and talking while we waited to kick in. Soon after about an hour, colors seemed to be more vibrant, and patterns seemed more interesting than they were before. I could see every little detail around me, like looking through a macro lens. Light was holy and intense. This was only the beginning. LSD is not just about pretty colors and patterns and tasting colors and seeing sounds. There is a whole new level to it deeper than that that people who have not tried the substance won't understand. This is the deep thought stage. Not only are colors broken down to their basic foundations, and patterns are communicating to each other and continuing to build, but your brain seems to kick into over drive. I felt like I traveled through every memory of my life, and every memory I ever will have. I felt like I could truly see the very threads of reality, and the meaning of its existence. Everything was nothing, meaningless, and for the most part "just there." It may be a simple idea at first glance but with deep thinking you can truly find the meaning behind it. This is where my ego died. I realized pretty much all I am, all my parents and friends are, and every organism in the world, every beautiful flower, every living thing is merely a chemical reaction. I felt worthless for a bit, but the ideas I were thinking at the time were seemingly profound. After being in another dimention for 18 straight hours, I came back down. Reflecting on the trip, I experienced something beyond explanation. The one here is even crap, there is something about psychedelics that are profound. Ego death is not uncommon with these substances. If you are to use them, use them wisely.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Loved the rest of your post! But I must point out this:

The ego is a concept. Nothing more. The idea of a permanent self, a deep down "you," is simply mistaken.
I disagree. Perhaps its an 'illusion' but the ego as far as our existence is concerned in this life is absolutely real. It can be transcended, nullified or suppressed.

I doubt permanent ego death is attainable..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope you realize that true ego death is something that takes years of meditation, practice and concentration to achieve in sobriety.

Aside from that, there is such a thing as Kundalini experiences occurring during sex.
(Kundalini rising and meeting with the Crown Chakra causes a surge and merging with 'Shakti'; the sorta... Creative energy of the universe.)
Did you notice any burning sensations in your back while you were gettin' down?
My whole body feels that way. The Kundalini stuff is really interesting.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I disagree. Perhaps its an 'illusion' but the ego as far as our existence is concerned in this life is absolutely real. It can be transcended, nullified or suppressed.

I doubt permanent ego death is attainable..
:crazy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts