Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have not been as studious as my former 3.0 semesters and am getting F's. Ever since I got on birth control and stopped it's like all I do is lye in bed all day moping.

I had to drop a bunch of classes and now am being forced to find a job because my parents are mad I wasted their money. :-/

I'd like to say that I'm depressed but I am pretty sure that includes a lot of sighing. I'm just not determined to do anything at all.

I am also lethargic from being underweight and not managing my health well.

I am going to see a psychologist for my problems soon.. I have been very moody and obsessing over my imperfections to the point of shaving my head bald among other things..

One thing that urks me the most is how I am attention seeking? Mostly, from not communicating with people how I feel so they can empathize with me and me not leave them in the dark confused.

My attention seeking antics leave me even more moody then I was before and make me focus MORE on my imperfections.

-.- I wonder if I should work for the next ten years and then start over at a college in another state that won't remember me and my shameful attention seeking tactics. Hopefully it will die down within the next ten years so I can do that..

The endless cycle of stupid things I do to myself so I never seem to snap out of it. >_< Eh.. Sorry for my all over the place thread.. I'm starting to wonder if I'm bipolar.. a few other students in my class have suggested it.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
I feel you. I've flunked five college courses thus far in two years because of major depression, and I'll likely have to go back for at least one semester to complete my degree if I ever do. I'm also waiting to see if an appeal I sent to student aid will go through just so I can go back this fall. If not, I'm out for a year, per their regulations.

Having cruel, ignorant people around you only seems to make matters worse than they are.

It's a hard life.

Reactions: Yobi

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Everyone seeks attention, some just choose more extravagant ways than others. Don't be ashamed, your reasons for doing it will have been valid at the time. You can change yourself - you don't have to carry on being a certain way just because you always have been. If you can learn to deal with it and leave it in the past, everybody else will.

I think you do have depression. Maybe try and get it diagnosed? It's often characterised by a lack of interest in anything, apathy and irritation, it doesn't always have to include crying fits and endless sighing.

Everything seems worse when you're standing still. It gives you time to think, but too much time spent thinking leads to a twisted view of how the world actually is. The same goes for never stopping to think. Try and move a bit more, even if it's just taking a walk outside. Starting is the hardest part, after that everything gets easier.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am an INTP. Studying comes pretty naturally to me. I did really well in high school with little effort. But I was forced to study 10-12 hours per day to get 3.5+ from 4 GPA in college. You may have really high expectations about college. It takes a lot of work to succeed in college. Things to do to improve in school are. 1) get enough sleep - lack of sleep affects memory (this is a common mistake college students make) and it also affects mood; 2) ask for help - there are often free tutoring services in different subjects and study groups you can form or join with your classmates; 3) review your notes the next day (there was a study that showed that if you do this, then you remember 80%+ in long term memory).

The emotional problems are really difficult to advise about. You might need medication for some time or you might just need to talk or you might just need to walk around and learn to relax by listening to music or watching TV for an hour or so to get away from stress. I would say that maybe you can start by trying a daily routine of maybe walking 10 minutes twice a day or 15 minutes twice a day. Also try to drink water throughout the day. Try to eat balanced food - not just junk food or fast food - try to include vegetables, fruit, meat, and so forth.

Your bad health and being underweight is bad. I really think you should ask a doctor about that. Maybe you have health insurance at your college? Your parents probably care at least for health or maybe there is some other way to get medical access? It is bad for you physically and mentally as well. You really need to take care of that.

Ask for advice on what to do and then for help on getting those steps done. Please do not allow yourself to suffer from bad physical and mental health. That will affect your college, your career and your life in years to come. Please continue asking for advice and then ask others for help you need.

I hope your situation improves.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Lately I have not been as studious as my former 3.0 semesters and am getting F's. Ever since I got on birth control and stopped it's like all I do is lye in bed all day moping.

I had to drop a bunch of classes and now am being forced to find a job because my parents are mad I wasted their money. :-/

I'd like to say that I'm depressed but I am pretty sure that includes a lot of sighing. I'm just not determined to do anything at all.

I am also lethargic from being underweight and not managing my health well.
Look, don't go see a doc. You already pointed out the problems in the beginning. You are underweight, not managing health well, and went through a cycle of birth control.

Are you still on birth control? The pill screws with your hormones, and requires higher intake of certain nutrients. Everyone on birth control should be taking extra b-vitamin at the very least. Guess what a lack of b's will cause? Lethargy, depression, and anxiety. Being underweight will likely leave you undernourished with adequate nutrient stores as well.

You don't need meds, they'll likely mess you up more than you already are in the long term. Try to eat healthy foods, gain some healthy weight, try popping a b-vitamin for a while, and try to walk around for half an hour at least every other day.

Nearly everyone in college is stressed out. Those who claim not to be, are either the exception, else are hiding it from everyone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.