Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found this on ehow.com about "How to locate an INFJ" and "How to recognize an INFJ"... how accurate is this to you??

Here's the links: How to locate an INFJ | eHow.com
How to Recognize an INFJ | eHow.com

How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:
An INFJ demeanor can range from either appearing sad to lost in thought to slightly angry or irritated. Of course I have known some with a more outgoing and overall happy demeanor. A lot of times their face can be easily read by how they are feeling at the moment. They may appear slightly rigid in body movement, like they can't quite become comfortable being in public.
I can't really say how accurate this is because I can't watch myself, but I'd figure people would see this of me based on feedback I've gotten.

Step 2:
When speaking, an INFJ might use a lot of exasperated sighs when speaking about something in general. However, when hitting topics they know best and love they can sometimes become more upbeat and gregarious. And almost to the point of appearing to be someone else for the time span of their conversation.
Yes - I have a tendency to get loud and a bit overpowering when the conversation has turned to something I'm really interested in. I've embarrassed friends a couple times because of how loud I got when we were out to eat or whatever.

Step 3:
An INFJ will open up to a close friend, someone they trust deeply. And often their conversations might have a lot to do with helping others or being overly concerned about someone or something they know well. Their compassion shines through which contradicts with their reserved, sometimes cold facial expressions.
Practically all of the conversations that I find most meaningful to discuss involve people, whether its helping others, being concerned for others, or just topics I know well (which is typically something like education, psychology, philosophical theories, etc)

How to Recognize and INFJ:

Step 1:
Watch their body language. INFJs are quiet. In social situations, the INFJ is often uncomfortable. They prefer one-on-one contact to group interaction. Approval or disapproval can often be seen in their facial expressions. An INFJ walks erect and with purpose and they appear to be focused on where they are going. The INFJ also tends to be uncoordinated and is likely to bump into a table or trip on a step.
I typically feel uncomfortable going into a public place by myself unless its like a coffee shop and I plan to just read or study. When I'm walking to class and stuff I'm mostly driven to get to my destination and not necessarily sit and chat or talk on phone (actually, a lot of times I'm in my Ni daze). I am probably one of the clumsiest people ever... I always dump food on myself when eating, I'll run into the corner of tables simply because I don't pay attention, etc.

Step 2:
Listen for verbal clues. An INFJ uses a lot of figurative language with deeper meaning. Because of the unconscious nature of their dominant function, Introverted Intuition (Ni), the INFJ will often seem to ramble as they search for the right words. Parasitic words such as "like" or "um" litter their speech as they attempt to express themselves coherently.
I didn't realize how much I really used the word "like" or "um" until I took speech class and had to video tape myself... then I suddenly realized what other people were talking about. Its really tough for me to not do as I'm trying to find the right word.

Step 3:
Get in touch with their feelings. INFJs use Extraverted Feeling (Fe) to express themselves. Using Fe, an INFJ will use language to express their values. It drives them to go to great lengths to promote harmony. Extraverted Feeling motivates the INFJ to help others. Fe also causes an INFJ to do things because it is appropriate. They care how they are perceived by others.
Yeah I'm always trying to watch how I act to be sure others perceive me in a good way... obviously not perfect with it though.

Step 4:
Check out what they're wearing. An INFJ will choose appearance over function. Their outfits are usually conservative and coordinated. INFJs usually consider expensive clothing to be a luxury as opposed to a necessity.
I hardly ever buy expensive clothes. If I do, I will definitely consider it a luxury so I'd pick something that is not merely a trend that will be gone in a few years. It'd be something I know I could use for several years and will last. I do tend to dress pretty conservative and just "cute" but simple, I guess you could say.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Interesting find. Here are my thoughts:

How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:
An INFJ demeanor can range from either appearing sad to lost in thought to slightly angry or irritated. Of course I have known some with a more outgoing and overall happy demeanor. A lot of times their face can be easily read by how they are feeling at the moment. They may appear slightly rigid in body movement, like they can't quite become comfortable being in public.
I can't comment on demeanor. I think it's a little too general and therefore self-serving, but I am often lost in thought despite being a friendly and happy-go-lucky guy. I completely disagree with being easily read. You can tell when I'm pissed and you can tell when I'm a good mood. It's the same with everyone else. It's the other feelings that are hard to read... and HEY, aren't we the hardest to read anyway? What gives? I'll concede the third point about being uncomfortable and rigid in public.

Step 2:
When speaking, an INFJ might use a lot of exasperated sighs when speaking about something in general. However, when hitting topics they know best and love they can sometimes become more upbeat and gregarious. And almost to the point of appearing to be someone else for the time span of their conversation.
Yes - I have a tendency to get loud and a bit overpowering when the conversation has turned to something I'm really interested in. I've embarrassed friends a couple times because of how loud I got when we were out to eat or whatever.

Step 3:
An INFJ will open up to a close friend, someone they trust deeply. And often their conversations might have a lot to do with helping others or being overly concerned about someone or something they know well. Their compassion shines through which contradicts with their reserved, sometimes cold facial expressions.
On the money. When I open up or someone opens up to me, my empathy and well-meaning are incredibly pronounced. I think passion and compassion are interchangeable, though.

Step 1:
Watch their body language. INFJs are quiet. In social situations, the INFJ is often uncomfortable. They prefer one-on-one contact to group interaction. Approval or disapproval can often be seen in their facial expressions. An INFJ walks erect and with purpose and they appear to be focused on where they are going. The INFJ also tends to be uncoordinated and is likely to bump into a table or trip on a step.
I can get along with people I know or I'm comfortable with or don't feel threatened. I certainly do prefer one-on-one contact. It's easier for me to focus on holding the attention of one person than an entire group. I'm a klutz. As quiet as I am when I move around (I scare the shit out of people because I move so quietly), when I'm under pressure, I will almost undoubtedly run into something that makes an unbearably loud noise which draws attention directly to ME. Fabulous.

Step 2:
Listen for verbal clues. An INFJ uses a lot of figurative language with deeper meaning. Because of the unconscious nature of their dominant function, Introverted Intuition (Ni), the INFJ will often seem to ramble as they search for the right words. Parasitic words such as "like" or "um" litter their speech as they attempt to express themselves coherently.
Holy shit do I speak figuratively. It confuses the hell out of people because my speech gets really lyrical and metaphorical when talking about the things I know. When I'm unfamiliar with a subject, like most people (regardless of MBTI, I'd wager), I stutter around with likes and uhs.

Step 3:
Get in touch with their feelings. INFJs use Extraverted Feeling (Fe) to express themselves. Using Fe, an INFJ will use language to express their values. It drives them to go to great lengths to promote harmony. Extraverted Feeling motivates the INFJ to help others. Fe also causes an INFJ to do things because it is appropriate. They care how they are perceived by others.
I suppose this is true to a certain degree. I care that the right people perceive me the way I want to be seen.

Step 4:
Check out what they're wearing. An INFJ will choose appearance over function. Their outfits are usually conservative and coordinated. INFJs usually consider expensive clothing to be a luxury as opposed to a necessity.
A comfortable pair of sneakers. Jeans or khakis. T-shirt or polo. Earthen tones; blue, green, brown.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting find, indeed!

How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:
Partly true. My friends did tell me once that when I'm sitting down with a blank expression on my face, I look pissed off. It's also because I'm usually always smiling, so people think something happened if I'm not (which can be frustrating at times). My face expressions can be easily read when I allow it. Let's say someone makes an unnecessary comment and I didn't like it, then I deliberately show it to let them know that I'm displeased. Otherwise, I know how to keep my face expressions separate from what I'm really feeling.

Step 2:
I definitely become very passionate when discussing something of my interest, or belief. I don't let loose a lot of exasperated sighs, though.

Step 3:
True. I always open up to my close friends, and they often say I'm selfless (which can sometimes be a bad thing for myself, but I don't realize it).

How to Recognize an INFJ:

Step 1:
I definitely do prefer to meet one-on-one, than in a group setting. It depends on what kind of social situation I'm in, in order for me to be uncomfortable. I'm quite adaptable and love new things/places/situations, so I'm usually fine wherever I go. And the last two lines describe me perfectly. I walk very focused on where I am going, and I'm a bit clumsy ;P

Step 2:
Very true. I have to find the correct words before they come out of my mouth, so I'm often caught using parasitic words such as 'like' or 'um'. Sometimes, a 'hmmm'.

Step 3:
I'm always the mediator, or the person who draws a conclusion for opposing sides, so there's truth in that statement. I also care how others perceive me.

Step 4:
Appearance over function: so true that it scares me. I dress fairly conservatively. I don't like showing too much skin, unless it's a 100 degrees outside, and I have to wear shorts and a tank top xP I usually go straight to the clearance sections to see if I can fish anything outta there, but I do at times buy expensive things I can see myself wearing for a long time. Or if it's something I fell in love with and is one of those "I.MUST.GET.THIS" item.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:
I tend to walk in very reserved way, relaxed but mean business which I do a lot of the time, hehe. If my face was easy to read I wouldn't get bothered so much and I smile at people when I feel nervous but don't want to make people feel bad, so probably not. I probably need to assert a bit more to be honest
Step 2:
Can agree with that although with age I've learned to moderate and refine the way I talk to others when I'm very interested in something, although I can still be a little excitable or argumentative. Also when I'm forced to think about something new then I can sound a bit jittery or inconsistent in speech, sighs happen a lot.
Step 3:
Very true, especially when I've had new ideas, I only share it amongst a select few though.

Step 1:
True with the social situations, I've always preferred one2one communication. Again not sure about the expressions part, I tend to be a bit anxious when out so I hide my thoughts and focus strongly on how I come across to others, I should stop doing this as much as I do. I'm generally not clumsy but can do some damage to myself at times from thinking about other things, so kind of.

Step 2:
All the time, I love it when it flows and over time I've learnt to assert myself to maintain others attention while I find what I'm trying to say, I use "umm" and "eh" a lot, "like" less so, "kind of" a bit.

Step 3:
Way to much, excellent for more indepth stuff in private company but terrible for general social environments, get paranoid and over-compensate and can get stressed quickly.

Step 4:
True for the most part, I try to mix a little casual with function, I like good fabrics and think of getting years out of a piece and always need pockets. Ideally I'd have a set of clothes for function and a set purely for style, I'd also like to make my own.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
a lot of it applies to me, as an INFJ. I am very clutzy. I suck at all sports but rowing. I love rowing. just plain old most of it seems correct to me. Ever INFJ is a little different so i agree with the 75%. Just like every person is different from the next.

Reactions: thegirlcandance

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:

My face is naturally sad/lost in thought/angry... So, no I can't be easily read. People always get it wrong. But yes, I'm a bit rigid when in public. I look a bit tense/intense.

Step 2:

There have been a few times when I come off as a fake person because of switching personality, when I'm talking about something I like. Most think it's funny though.

Step 3:

Walking contradiction is exactly how some people have described me. The reason I chose Linus for my username. o_o; In the past, I've been too open and it never went well, so now it takes a lot more for me to open up. I tend to open up in other ways though.. in my actions, my work rather than something verbalized. So if a person is observant, it's not too hard to figure me out.

Step 1:

Again, the facial expression thing doesn't fit me but the rest is correct. I'm not clumsy but every now and then I do find scratches with dried blood on my body and I don't know where it came from. I also sometimes trip up stairs and over sidewalk cracks.

Step 2:

True, I often complicate what I say by my wording... I think I don't speak all the time in a direct way, I hint and suggest more often, helping the other person to connect the dots. I don't get mad if they don't understand me.
Guests who come uninvited will put me at a loss for words. My eyes darting all over the place, head swivelling, and I eat all of my sentences. Sometimes I don't ramble and just space out for a while till I've made a sentence. I think some people get annoyed by it.

Step 3:

Mostly true, but if there is too much pressure my method for creating harmony is to leave. In general, I do leave even for little things.. because I've noticed even little things can spiral out of control.

Step 4:

I like good materials and fit, and I am happy buying that even if it's expensive. My style is conservative but I always seem to stand out. Maybe it's my vibe than my clothes.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
All of the above applies to myself, aside from the fashion sense.

I dress as one would consider "dark", wavering between flashy, noticeable (yet well-coordinated) attire to simply just black.

I tend to have a more punk rocker/biker look (My father was a biker and traveled with several gangs, somehow I've recieved the influence of at least the fashion sense).

In the past I used it as a way of trying to scare people away, but instead it got me fairly popular. > <

EDIT: Upon closer examination I fear I may have lied. I'm a fake extrovert. My two best friends are comprised of an ENTP and an ENFP, so I don't get that Ixxx balance as often as I should. I like being outdoors and I try my best to keep up, but sometimes I just can't do it. :p

I agree with GreenCoyote in the fact that INFJs may always seem very different from one another. In the past, I found that I mimicked the social group most appropriate to how I was feeling, and as a result ended up this way, but only due to the absence of an image of self.

... Well, that must sound awfully confusing. I sure hope someone understands, though. :p

·
Registered
836 Posts
appreciate the articles, but i really hate generalizations. for every one that is true, there's another that doesn't quite fit. example, i really do open up only to people that i am close friends with. however, i am not clumsy.

also, sometimes i question the limits of what myers briggs predicts. for example: can myers briggs really predict the types of clothes we wear? im doubtful.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Maybe the reasons of why we wear what we do is better^...
Linus, excellent point. What we wear though is arguably more externally driven.

For example, I think most people would agree that society judges us by what we wear. Therefore, there is a part of each person that does not dress how they want to, but rather dresses for how they want to be perceived.

Personally, it is what stops me from wearing pajamas to the grocery store.

Not sure Myers Briggs can predict what 'look' I would like to project to society, nor to the extent that I want to care about what society thinks...

Dunno.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:
yes i sometimes look angry or overly serious but as ive exited my teens Ive become more pleasant as in I smile very often and look happy unless im studying which i mean come on it would be creepy to sit there cheezing ear to ear while reading about the krebs cycle.

Step 2:
Yes when I can find the words to articulate the depth of emotion I feel toward anything I am another being entirely

Step 1:
i am ridiculously clumsy, I am forever running into mannequins at work and even customers, most likely because I am somewhere else.
Step 2:
Listen for verbal clues. An INFJ uses a lot of figurative language with deeper meaning. Because of the unconscious nature of their dominant function, Introverted Intuition (Ni), the INFJ will often seem to ramble as they search for the right word.

oh my gawd I so do this! I use abstract things to describe what I mean. I think in metaphors a lot or at least I use metaphors as they come the nearest to my thought. gawd once I was explaining something to my friend and i said it was a sunset, but everything was cast in hues of blue rather than gold. and she couldnt get a grasp on what i meant.

Step 4:
true, I look at least cute ALL of the time even in the morning after i wake up, idk I cant help it, its the one thing I do for myself, make sure I look nice.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well here's my two cents to whoever minds...

How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:
I've been told that I appear both lonely and apparently wise... Random people always walk up to me to A) ask for directions or B) smile and say good morning. A) might be because I look like I know where I'm going and B) I look like I need the smile and 'good morning'

Step 2:
I speak like I'm cool and calm. Except when you get me started on something I'm passionate about. I then go crazy and people find it hilarious.

Step 3:
Tru dat

Step 1:
I mask how uncomfortable I am because for me uncomfortable translates as unapproachable and cold to the outside world. I don't want people to be afraid so I try to keep a neutral face when I'm forced to interact with people. I still highly prefer 1-on-1. Also, I'm actually pretty coordinated but that's probably due to a few years of martial arts. I fall with style XD

Step 2:
Chyea. Only if I carefully plan out what I'm going to say will things come out without an 'um'. In my environment, I'll sound like a fool if I can't get my words out.

Step 3:
Yea. A lot of people can never tell though...

Step 4:
I'm 'comfy casual' if you know what I mean. As in my sister threatened to call up "What Not to Wear". Hoodies and jeans for me. Despite this I do have good taste. I just never apply it to myself

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Extremely accurate.
A friend I met this year said
"You are the only person I know who can stare at nothing for prolonged periods of time."
Followed by: "what the heck do you think about?"
That gave me a chuckle. I stare at things many times, but I'm not really staring. My consciousness is somewhere in another time and space, probably thinking something abstract that has no earthly translation. People who ask me "what are you thinking?" are more likely to be responded with a, "if you knew, your mind would explode.":laughing:

Reactions: beanz

·
Registered
802 Posts
How to locate an INFJ:

Step 1:
I don't know if i appear sad, although I know I'm often lost in thought, sometimes even in the middle of a conversation. I do know that people have commented on how expressive my face is, so I guess that part is true. As far as being rigid, I can't speak to that, but I do know that I've very "compact," as in I keep my limbs close, often crossing or sitting on my legs, keeping my hands folded in my lap or tucked in my pockets, etc. I'm definitely not a sprawler.

Step 2:
Not sure about the sighing, but I am unusually animated when talking about something I'm passionate about.

Step 3:
My friends who are also my classmates complain that I have great insights but that I only share those insights with them rather than speaking up in class. And in analyzing literature (English major here!), I usually pay the most attention to the interactions between the characters, the factors that shape them, the way they treat each other, etc.

Step 1:
I'm not uncoordinated! I just like walking into walls, and doors, and doorways . . . . Yeah, I'm totally about the one-on-one contact. That's the interaction I find most fulfilling.

Step 2:
I hate how much I say "like" and "um" both. And "well." I do use figurative language, often incorporating off-the-cuff metaphors in everyday conversation. Sometimes people react with surprise, but generally people things my metaphors are spot-on.

Step 3:
I do like harmony and go to great lengths to sustain it when I think it's worthwhile, but I'm not afraid to ruffle a few feathers when they need ruffling. I do aim to be perceived as even-handed and kind, but beyond that, I'm not overly worried about what people think of me.

Step 4:
I go for function over fashion, and I bargain shop. But I do try to look nice. Not overly nice, but something more than T-shirts all the time. I've never paid much attention to clothes, though. To me, "nice" means a sweater in a color that compliments me and a pair of jeans that are the right size.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm 'comfy casual' if you know what I mean. As in my sister threatened to call up "What Not to Wear". Hoodies and jeans for me. Despite this I do have good taste. I just never apply it to myself
My family threatened the same thing! I recently lost a lot of weight and had to buy new clothes because the others didn't fit any more. My friends and family went shopping with me to make sure I found "acceptable" items. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think most these affirmation apply to me. Especially the "How to Recognize and INFJ:". Found the part about always having a destination in mind and bumping into object quite funny cause it's true. I tend to bump into people, table, chair, doorframe all the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts