Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this us the right thread for this or not.

I have a overhead light socket that is wired unusual to me
The two main connecting wires from and to other light sources is wires together black on black white on white. Well that's normal but the 2 white wires is just twisted together like you would for a wire nut but no nut.
The black wires is combined with light switch white wire twisted with black wires on a wire nut and the black wire from light switch connected to terminal on light socket. Nothing on the other terminal.

Is this a way to wire a overhead light socket and what will this configuration cause? I am unsure what this is doing to the polarity and the AC flow.

Also other day the terminal that has the black wire became lose. And the small room it is in would make a small hat led light like it was being choked it would barley come on like a engine being choked and other types of light like led bulbs where you can just stick anywhere and use a remote to turn off.

It seemed like the room had electricity built up in it the breaker box is also in that room.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,369 Posts
I don't suppose you can take a picture. At first I thought you were saying the wire colors were reversed then I thought maybe you were saying the wires were spliced without a splice nut. I'm just not sure what you mean here.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,369 Posts
Yes, well, the white wires are spliced together but without a splice nut. It isn't absolutely necessary, but if the bare spliced white wires ever come in contact with the bare spliced black wires, you're going to have a short circuit, and that's bad. Adding a splice nut like the one on the other spliced wires is safer. It will make it less likely of a short. It will also prevent detritus and debris from accumulating on the bare wires too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand why only one wire the black wire is connected to socket and the white wire tied off with the other 2 black wires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts