Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a week or so ago, I was reading about theoretical physicists, I cant find it again otherwise I would quote it directly...

anyway, part of the article covers what every physicist dreams of finding what they call an "elegant solution" to a problem or even as an explanation... I am guessing 'they' is the general scientific community...

in brief, this solution would use elements from two or more complex ideas or concepts and combine them into something efficient and usable. Maybe even use the intersecting ideas to explain some amazing law about the universe...

in the article they used examples about how electricity and magnetism were found to be interrelated and eventually combined and explained in electromagnetism.
this also explains why Einsteins famous equation of (E=Mc^2) still resonates as pure brilliance... because it is an elegant solution of how energy is related to matter.

when I started thinking about the truth of this, I realized that I seem to subconsciously seek this whenever I receive new or updated information... It actually seems to be the driving force behind most of my research on Spirituality and Personality ( I do a lot of research into these types of things in addition to my college research...)

anyways, I was just wondering if any other thinkers like myself have made correlations like this to the way they think...
do you guys think this is an accurate parallel?
do you think it has any practical applications?

·
Registered
369 Posts
My understanding is that this is essentially what Ti represents: the desire to fit all concepts of the universe into simple logical systems within the mind. Thus INTPs, masters of Ti, tend to think this way quite a bit.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I pretty much like elaborate reasons for things... I like solutions that explain the problem to you before they even begin to tell you how to fix it - and I love, most of all, theories without holes (as if those really exist).

I hate getting answers that are just like 'so this is what happened', giving you one plausible solution while ignoring the true nature of the problem and any other possible solutions.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Are you talking mostly about the unification of certain principles in the sciences? There's a whole branch of science dedicated to unifying branches of physics that seem incompatible, which are Einsteinian relativity (specifically general relativity, which is a funny thing to say) and quantum physics. These too seem not to work together because Einstein paints the universe as having fundamental laws that always operate, while Quantum physics has everything about probability. We don't know exactly what an electron is doing, but we can figure out the likelihood; meanwhile, we can know for certain how a planet moves if we know all of the factors, according to relativity.

My take on this is that it is a noble endeavor, but it may never pan out. Somehow it just seems unlikely that we can ever come up with a reconciliation for two things that are so different; we can perhaps come up with ways of describing why these things are the way they are for different scales of matter, but other than that I wonder if it's at all possible.

In general, I like to see connections between things. That's my Ne acting with my Ti, because honestly, though I like going into depth about things, things are only truly meaningful to me once I can see connections. It's not enough to know just how one thing works. I have to understand how it relates to everything else I know, so I can actually start forming an understanding of how the universe works, in some semblance.

It's the same thing with what I like about personality theories. I like the functional analysis in Jung (MBTI), how the functions interrelate and how that makes type interactions, and I like Enneagram for having so many aspects to development and type relations. The value is in the connections and the applications in the larger understanding. Love that schtuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts