Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Commonly typed INFP, though I've seen xSFP arguments. I'm not entirely convinced of introversion myself.

Examples:

@arkigos, I know you're typically bombarded with requests to assess people or critique individual understanding of the functions, but as the xNFP expert, I'd love your opinion.

Footnote: The first video shown was staged in order to fit the structure of reality tv. She had an excellent blog post written about the experience, but unfortunately she deleted her blog and I cannot archive it (I cry when waybackmachine fails me). For instance, she had to present herself less "gothy" and present herself in a way I imagine she normally wouldn't in order to showcase her crafts. General cognition should still leak through, but keep that in mind. The second video should prove as a more reliable typing source.

Shit, I just realized I posted this in the wrong subfourm.

Edit: This mistake has been fixed. Thank you @TreeBob

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I made a post about her on the Taylor Swift thread. It's mostly trash, but I might drag it up anyway just to contribute what I saw at the time (I'd been going through a lot of her videos at the time, so my thoughts then were probably a lot more relevant than my thoughts now)

I'll @Oswin so she can see this sooner than later.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
She does give off more of a Ne-dom, extrovert vibe.
But I'm not sure I see so much Te, and I feel like she uses so much Si in her music and such. Could it be inferior Si over-expressing itself?

edit: I'm watching the second interview and so far she has only talked about history, her place in history, what things are based on, and archetypes...lots and lots of Si)

edit ii: 10:30 ish...Te?

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Banned
2,715 Posts
that was so painful to watch I want to cry. '... sees the dark side, but has that little light of optimism at the end, which is what I don't really have now ... I do, but it's a different way' ... however you slice it, she's aimlessly rambling at every point of the interview. She gets self conscious about talking too much at around 9 minutes, and 20 minutes in she's repeating the same stuff.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She does give off more of a Ne-dom, extrovert vibe.
But I'm not sure I see so much Te, and I feel like she uses so much Si in her music and such. Could it be inferior Si over-expressing itself?

edit: I'm watching the second interview and so far she has only talked about history, her place in history, what things are based on, and archetypes...lots and lots of Si)

edit ii: 10:30 ish...Te?
A fascination with history is a fascination with history, not Si. Si is removing the sensory stimulus of objective reality in order to replace it with a subjective one (E.g. Abby was a weird girl with pink hair, therefore all pink haired girls are weird; A tree is not a plant growing from roots that can be used as a perch to climb upon or as a prop for a tire swing; it is a source of apples). Se will fixate on the aesthetic aspects of history, and the different forms such aspects of history can be represented. Lana Del Rey and Quentin Taratino are Se types enamored with history, and pay homage to it respectably. They don't change or reenact aspects of history; instead they present history as is and engage in all of it's dynamic manifestations and forms.

I'm friends with an ESTP who listens to Viking metal and considers himself a "history buff" (he blames this interest on his Scandinavian ancestry). He likes the stories that Viking metal tells. He likes soaking in every aspect of the story, and imagining himself engaging in these grand quests and endeavors. The key is that he does not reinvent the wheel and shift historical happenings into a new perspective, nor is he fascinated on recreating "what it would be like"... the idea behind history and all the things that could happen when the sensory aspect is removed. Rather he just soaks up things as they are, and imagines engaging in that very thing to gain a full impact of what it is. Of course I'm open to being wrong, but I doubt he's an N. Either way, these anecdotes are merely meant to illustrate that Se types can engage in the topic of history- it's not exclusively an Si thing.

However, I will agree that Emilie views history through an Ne-Si lens; comparing contrasting past data to how it stacks up to now, and recreating history to match a conceptual idea or play out the different deities that certain facets of history may represent. Do the treatment of patients in a Victorian asylum compare to the current methods of modern day psychiatric units? What sorts of things can be drawn out of that comparison? What can she gain a gist of? Psychiatric units are not places humans inhabit in order to be monitored and treated with a protocol or treatment plan to ensure the safety of themselves and those they engage with, but they are Victorian asylums. Here she can draw out different ways the Victorian day and age can objectively manifest and capture an ideal. I particularly love how she takes the concept of insanity and reinvents Ophelia to be a medical disease that captures behaviors in individuals she has observed. It's not the aesthetics of things that interest her, but what they represent outside of their physical qualities, and how they can manifest. The sensory merely supports these observations.

The 10:30 mark could be Te, though I'm willing for anyone to rebuttal my points as I'm not entirely sure. Seems like when her internal standards were proven false, she decided to use Te to hammer down bullshit; to call upon it, to critique it. Any thoughts?

@Oreki- Why?

·
Registered
131 Posts
@hoopla

One, I love Emilie Autumn as an artist and wouldn't be able to remain 100% objective. And two, considering all the things she's been through in her life? I imagine there's a lot of things we don't see that comes into play with how she acts/responds/creates music.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
A fascination with history is a fascination with history, not Si. Si is removing the sensory stimulus of objective reality in order to replace it with a subjective one (E.g. Abby was a weird girl with pink hair, therefore all pink haired girls are weird; A tree is not a plant growing from roots that can be used as a perch to climb upon or as a prop for a tire swing; it is a source of apples). Se will fixate on the aesthetic aspects of history, and the different forms such aspects of history can be represented. Lana Del Rey and Quentin Taratino are Se types enamored with history, and pay homage to it respectably. They don't change or reenact aspects of history; instead they present history as is and engage in all of it's dynamic manifestations and forms.

I'm friends with an ESTP who listens to Viking metal and considers himself a "history buff" (he blames this interest on his Scandinavian ancestry). He likes the stories that Viking metal tells. He likes soaking in every aspect of the story, and imagining himself engaging in these grand quests and endeavors. The key is that he does not reinvent the wheel and shift historical happenings into a new perspective, nor is he fascinated on recreating "what it would be like"... the idea behind history and all the things that could happen when the sensory aspect is removed. Rather he just soaks up things as they are, and imagines engaging in that very thing to gain a full impact of what it is. Of course I'm open to being wrong, but I doubt he's an N. Either way, these anecdotes are merely meant to illustrate that Se types can engage in the topic of history- it's not exclusively an Si thing.

However, I will agree that Emilie views history through an Ne-Si lens; comparing contrasting past data to how it stacks up to now, and recreating history to match a conceptual idea or play out the different deities that certain facets of history may represent. Do the treatment of patients in a Victorian asylum compare to the current methods of modern day psychiatric units? What sorts of things can be drawn out of that comparison? What can she gain a gist of? Psychiatric units are not places humans inhabit in order to be monitored and treated with a protocol or treatment plan to ensure the safety of themselves and those they engage with, but they are Victorian asylums. Here she can draw out different ways the Victorian day and age can objectively manifest and capture an ideal. I particularly love how she takes the concept of insanity and reinvents Ophelia to be a medical disease that captures behaviors in individuals she has observed. It's not the aesthetics of things that interest her, but what they represent outside of their physical qualities, and how they can manifest. The sensory merely supports these observations.

The 10:30 mark could be Te, though I'm willing for anyone to rebuttal my points as I'm not entirely sure. Seems like when her internal standards were proven false, she decided to use Te to hammer down bullshit; to call upon it, to critique it. Any thoughts?

@Oreki- Why?
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that history = Si; I just thought the way she was approaching history was Si) I agree that her Ne is higher than her Si though (Especially since I just don't think she's SJ, I'm sure her Fi is either dom or aux) But her Si seems higher than it would be if inferior? Her music seems primarily Fi-Si, with Ne as a driving/creative force. But when she's talking she seems like a Ne-dom. She seems too . . . something . . . to be an INFP. So IDK. I don't know much about inferior Si or Te so ...yeah, not sure)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
(I'm going to set the first video aside...there was such a strong impression that her behavior was "forced" that it made me uncomfortable lol)

I see what you mean about the possible extraversion. Her songs just give me so much Ne-Si, and Fi, and a number of Fi-Si loops. But her interview strikes me more as Ne-dom. And I can't get past the fact that she seems to use too much Si for it to be inferior, but maybe that is the result of a more artistic lifestyle? or her upbringing? Or maybe she just hadn't gotten enough sleep?

Reactions: Dangerose

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Good luck with her... She's puts on quite of a persona plus her bipolar disorder might make it harder to type her. She's an xxFP but that's all I've got. Haven't listened to her in ages!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I love Emilie. Her music is very Fi, but it would be more accurate to type her judging from her interviews, and I have always seen her as an extrovert, compared to her music. And I get sx/sp or sp/sx vibes from her.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Commonly typed INFP, though I've seen xSFP arguments. I'm not entirely convinced of introversion myself.

Examples:

@arkigos, I know you're typically bombarded with requests to assess people or critique individual understanding of the functions, but as the xNFP expert, I'd love your opinion.

Footnote: The first video shown was staged in order to fit the structure of reality tv. She had an excellent blog post written about the experience, but unfortunately she deleted her blog and I cannot archive it (I cry when waybackmachine fails me). For instance, she had to present herself less "gothy" and present herself in a way I imagine she normally wouldn't in order to showcase her crafts. General cognition should still leak through, but keep that in mind. The second video should prove as a more reliable typing source.

Shit, I just realized I posted this in the wrong subfourm.
She is an ESFJ.

Particularly, an Fe-dom:

Same as, say, Gwen Stefani:

The main difference between these songs is that Emilie is a bit more Les Mis bombastic, and of course the musical and aesthetic styling they attach themselves to.

The central thrust is blowing up social issues and addressing them head on in the most big and broad strokes way possible. There is a feeling of over-reaching for effect... which is the sin of Fe. This is the polar and distinct opposite of Fi, and you will not see a song like Fight Like a Girl from an Fi type.

Compare Amanda Palmer, whose Ne/Fi differs quite.......... dramatically:

I walk away from Ne/Fi thinking: "Okay, what am I supposed to get from that? I sense some nuanced subversive contrarian wisdom in it.. but it was meant to defy me, to complexify and abstract the problem. To deny me an easy strident answer... and seems to reflect her own inability to easily objectify her feelings or provide a strident answer." Textbook Fi... especially in the context of Ne which piles on Fi with a thousand different potential perspectives.. which are not rational perspectives, but just a bedlam of perceptions.

And I know that Amanda is 'in character' in that song, but it is noteworthy how Fi/Te talks about people that are objectively bad. She says:

"And outside the building were all these annoying Fundamentalist Christians; we tried to ignore them."

This is how I expect Fi types to talk. They don't speak in strident moral judgments, or even measured moral judgments, really, but are far more likely to speak in Te terms. Evil or hurtful people are 'annoying' or 'dumb' rather than reprehensible or inappropriate. That is because their Te and Fi are both poised to react to these things, and while Fi recedes and ruminates, Te jumps forward and renders its view. So SFPs will be very very very reticent to offer a moral judgment, but will be quick so say something flippantly but shallowly critical... ranging from a 'whatever' dismissal to something sharper like 'fucking imbeciles' or whatever.

No way an Fe is going to speak in such a masked or distant way. They will lash out, in one way or another, with Fe... using Ti to tear it apart and moderate their view with over-thinking, perhaps, but ultimately being objective in their judgments. Emilie would fit into this category.

Her disconnection with present reality is pretty clear and she seeks into fantasy and past archetypes to cope with it and understand it. This speaks strongly to Si and Ne. She strikes me as what a strongly extraverted (and bipolar) @angelcat would look like.

Then there is the obvious 'pinterest' persona which is distinctly ESFJ. It induldges Ne, but is profoundly and utterly sensory. Ne-doms don't craft intricate fairy wings for all occasions or sushi soap... not that they couldn't... it is just such a sensory thing that they'd never be able to compete or reach those pinterest levels of competency and proficiency.

Ne-dom is too much a flood of ideas to stick with these themes that someone like Emilie has settled and soaked into. Ne is always moving forward, and thus just can't maintain what Emilie is maintaining.

Above all it just seems obvious to me that Ne is mainly employed in supporting Fe, and that Si is stronger on the whole. She reminds me of my ESFJ sister, who was also into this highly aesthetic gothic stuff for many years. I remember my sister (who typed herself ESFJ using MBTI) coming home at 4 am from a Skinny Puppy (google em) concert with bright green hair, showing me this off-the-wall painting she'd done. Now she is a stay-at-home mom. People are complex and interesting people are more interesting than you'd want to imagine.

Anyway, ESFJ.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts

She is an ESFJ.

Particularly, an Fe-dom:

Same as, say, Gwen Stefani:

The main difference between these songs is that Emilie is a bit more Les Mis bombastic, and of course the musical and aesthetic styling they attach themselves to.

Her concerns seem to be focused on two things:

The central thrust is blowing up social issues and addressing them head on in the most big and broad strokes way possible. There is a feeling of over-reaching for effect... which is the sin of Fe. This is the polar and distinct opposite of Fi, and you will not see a song like Fight Like a Girl from an Fi type.

I walk away from Ne/Fi thinking: "Okay, what am I supposed to get from that? I sense some nuanced subversive contrarian wisdom in it.. but it was meant to defy me, to complexify and abstract the problem. To deny me an easy strident answer... and seems to reflect her own inability to easily objectify her feelings or provide a strident answer." Textbook Fi... especially in the context of Ne which piles on Fi with a thousand different potential perspectives.. which are not rational perspectives, but just a bedlam of perceptions.

And I know that Amanda is 'in character' in that song, but it is noteworthy how Fi/Te talks about people that are objectively bad. She says:

"And outside the building were all these annoying Fundamentalist Christians; we tried to ignore them."

This is how I expect Fi types to talk. They don't speak in strident moral judgments, or even measured moral judgments, really, but are far more likely to speak in Te terms. Evil or hurtful people are 'annoying' or 'dumb' rather than reprehensible or inappropriate. That is because their Te and Fi are both poised to react to these things, and while Fi recedes and ruminates, Te jumps forward and renders its view. So SFPs will be very very very reticent to offer a moral judgment, but will be quick so say something flippantly but shallowly critical... ranging from a 'whatever' dismissal to something sharper like 'fucking imbeciles' or whatever.

No way an Fe is going to speak in such a masked or distant way. They will lash out, in one way or another, with Fe... using Ti to tear it apart and moderate their view with over-thinking, perhaps, but ultimately being objective in their judgments. Emilie would fit into this category.

Her disconnection with present reality is pretty clear and she seeks into fantasy and past archetypes to cope with it and understand it. This speaks strongly to Si and Ne. She strikes me as what a strongly extraverted (and bipolar) @angelcat would look like.

Then there is the obvious 'pinterest' persona which is distinctly ESFJ. It induldges Ne, but is profoundly and utterly sensory. Ne-doms don't craft intricate fairy wings for all occasions or sushi soap... not that they couldn't... it is just such a sensory thing that they'd never be able to compete or reach those pinterest levels of competency and proficiency.

Ne-dom is too much a flood of ideas to stick with these themes that someone like Emilie has settled and soaked into. Ne is always moving forward, and thus just can't maintain what Emilie is maintaining.

Above all it just seems obvious to me that Ne is mainly employed in supporting Fe, and that Si is stronger on the whole. She reminds me of my ESFJ sister, who was also into this highly aesthetic gothic stuff for many years. I remember my sister (who typed herself ESFJ using MBTI) coming home at 4 am from a Skinny Puppy (google em) concert with bright green hair, showing me this off-the-wall painting she'd done. Now she is a stay-at-home mom. People are complex and interesting people are more interesting than you'd want to imagine.

Anyway, ESFJ.
I'm kind-of...thinking this may be right. I was hesitant to suggest ESFJ because I didn't want to seem all like those purported INFJs who type every celebrity they like and/or relate to as INFJ...but I was kinda thinking ESFJ, especially watching the second interview, but waiting on some further evidence) Or hoping someone else would say it, which, yay) Anyways, not 100% sure, but this seems like an accurate analysis

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I'm a little confused honestly because I remember seeing this
and recognizing that, wow. This is what Fi is.

I think it was mostly little things about her though, that are probably attributable to something else. Looking now, she seems very openly emotional and expressive in quite an Fe way. What really got me was her... clothing. She seems to have no concept of social appropriateness, and if she does she rejects it entirely. You don't just go around wearing the outfits she wears... and yet she does. I supposed it was an Fi thing, but perhaps it's Fe/Ne.

Reactions: Psychopomp

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
ESFJ is a possibility, upon first glance. :kitteh:

Edit: Just read what @arkigos wrote, haha, and yeah. He articulates truth. As an Ne-dom, it's very difficult to sustain focus. I mean, I can admire and think fairy wings are pretty damn awesome, but I can't be bothered to be meticulously detailed in producing something like it. Easier to draw out quick and messy rough sketches of different concepts, or writing many short descriptions, let someone else make it, then move onto the next big Ne-idea(s).

Not saying I couldn't, just saying that I wouldn't have enough interest in spending so much time, energy, and focus to do it. The vision might be there, but it would quickly move onto another, more appealing vision. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'm a little confused honestly because I remember seeing this
and recognizing that, wow. This is what Fi is.

I think it was mostly little things about her though, that are probably attributable to something else. Looking now, she seems very openly emotional and expressive in quite an Fe way. What really got me was her... clothing. She seems to have no concept of social appropriateness, and if she does she rejects it entirely. You don't just go around wearing the outfits she wears... and yet she does. I supposed it was an Fi thing, but perhaps it's Fe/Ne.
I'd argue there is a particularly N element to it.. but you also have to consider the culture. My sister was involved in a culture that taught her to reject traditional beauty tropes as bad... which helped her develop her own counter-cultural crusading confidence. It would seem like Fi, but actually Fi would recoil from this. My sister would eat this girl up... because she really represents something, you know? My wife, an ENFP, is arrested when she looks at her. She recedes and says ... 'welllllll...', because that is what Ji (Fi in this case) does. You can't get a clear answer out of her. I wanted to post Amanda Palmer commenting on 'Oasis' because it shows this. I think the interviewer is an Fe:

When she makes strident judgments, it is very "that's the facts" and "that's weird, that's dumb". Then, when prompted to bandwagon with strident 'obvious' value judgments... you get the classic Ji (Fi) "...wellllllll ...".

It is always 'there is more to consider' with Fi. You leave the interview with more questions than you had before, more nuance, more contradiction, a deeper pit, more papers thrown on the desk. Then the Fi looks at you like, "you think THIS is bad? This is every moment of my life. It just gets deeper."

My INFP friend, whose wife is an ENFJ, said "she comes at me with these ideas about things, and expects me to go along, or wants me to comment on this or that.. and I have to say 'you don't know what you are asking'." then he laughs, "I've seen the end of time, woman! How can you ask me these things? I freeze up. My mind actually seizes up. I don't know where to begin."

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This is what ultimately deceives me in the end. I'm aware Fi types can engage in ethical causes (Cobain and Palmer do this), so sometimes it's tricky to discern if these values are Fe or Te driven.

This is partly where I thought her caustic, sarcastic humor may derive from. Fi-Te used to criticize people who don't align with those deeply ruminated values, to ignore them in order to fight for what matters: "Feminism is important! Fuck you if you're too stupid to realize that." This is not to say Fe can't be snarky or sarcastic, but I was willing to consider it may be a form of Fi-Te for her specifically. You do have a point that her direction is clear, though of course sometimes you are left with a "wtf is she talking about impression". ESFJs still use Ne though. I speculate the abuse she suffered forced her to engage in it actively, which is why it's so strong in what she does.

Her disconnection with present reality is pretty clear and she seeks into fantasy and past archetypes to cope with it and understand it. This speaks strongly to Si and Ne. She strikes me as what a strongly extraverted (and bipolar) angelcat would look like.

This was my hang up. I'm aware how staged the Crafters Coast to Coast video is, but that engagement with the sensory nudged away some intuitive points, which is particularly why I showcased it. As established, Ne could engage in such a sensory focus, but it likely wouldn't be such a fixation as it is in Emilie. That's why I played with ESFP for awhile, until I realized rather swiftly how that didn't work. She's an Ne type, not an Se type. So ESFJ or ENFP?

Things like this strike me as Fi-Te:

Lost Faith in Entertainers - September 9, 2004 | Emilie Autumn Archives

Though I can see how I was mistaken. I can pull out aspects I considered Fi-Te if you're interested.

Things I could see as Fe however, was that focus on the harm of other people. "Do whatever the fuck you want, as long as you're not hurting anyone else". She actually created a blog post about being considered sweet and caring too much about people. It definitely put Fe on the table, but I wouldn't put kindness past an Fi. So either she's kind because she's aligning to what is internally wrong and using the objective facts to prove her values, or she's so focused on the welfare of others because she is an Fe user. The discrepancies of Fe and Fi are more of a blurred line in some individuals (Emilie), and much more obvious in others.

Oh I know Skinny Puppy. I was also enamored in that gothy/emo thing for awhile (As if Emilie isn't a clue). I grew out of it, but it never entirely left. I was always vintagey though, and still very much am! That's not Si-Fe-Ne in and of itself (I know some xSFJs who hate that stuff), but the way I utilize these aspects very much is. That's why I related to her so much. She approaches these dynamics exactly as I do... which is where ESFJ was not off the table, but I could still see Fi-Te in some of what she said. You could consider her one of those psuedo Fi types (If that makes any sense).

ESFJ works. It encourages me to expand my view of Fe more, and definitely explains the perfectionist, meticulous quality of her work, and the way she can tie themes together even whilst getting sidetracked by 300 other themes. I never understood where the push for introversion was coming from. She's literate and engages in solitary activities; as if that's exclusive to introverts. :rolleyes:

I definitely agree that people forget that others are complex... and above all people. The stereotypes about specific types that others propagate are oftentimes removed from reality. Who are these people mentioning when they talk about about ESFJs? They're not people I've ever known; are they discussing people at all? Or rather characters in a movie or book? Blurred composites of vague encounters with passerbys? It's so fucking strange to me; not every ESFJ is Taylor Swift.

She's something of a tricky one. A demonstration of how Fe and Fi (Especially Fe-Ne loops) confuse people.

Re-read again and I put quotations amongst "Fuck you if you're too stupid to realize that" as it was meant to depict an Fi-Te perspective rather than to serve as an attack directed towards any particular debaters on this forum (I try to avoid ad-hominems). I really cannot proofread. Like, at all. I'm probably still missing something.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Things I could see as Fe however, was that focus on the harm of other people. "Do whatever the fuck you want, as long as you're not hurting anyone else". She actually created a blog post about being considered sweet and caring too much about people. It definitely put Fe on the table, but I wouldn't put kindness past an Fi. So either she's kind because she's aligning to what is internally wrong and using the objective facts to prove her values, or she's so focused on the welfare of others because she is an Fe user. The discrepancies of Fe and Fi are more of a blurred line in some individuals (Emilie), and much more obvious in others.
I think caring about others can be Fi and in particular I think the whole "do what you want as long as you don't hurt others" seems perfectly consistent with Fi.

But last time I argued against @arkigos regarding someone I thought was NFP it didn't go well for me so I should probably admit defeat and just enjoy the music whatever it is. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think caring about others can be Fi and in particular I think the whole "do what you want as long as you don't hurt others" seems perfectly consistent with Fi.
I do too, but the way the caring or tenderness is executed will be hard to get a glimpse or hint of. You'll just know it's what they expect of you, and if not, it's stop; Te hammer time.

The point that her values are very directed and clear is something to consider though. Fe or Te? That was quite the war I was having in typing her (as well as all of her sensory arts and crafts and "compulsions" as she put it. Are Ne doms really that structured?).

But last time I argued against arkigos regarding someone I thought was NFP it didn't go well for me so I should probably admit defeat and just enjoy the music whatever it is. :laughing:
Ha, he's a fierce debater, isn't he? That's why I pulled him in here. If anyone knows how to weed out dem xNFPs with passion, it's @arkigos.

Reactions: Psychopomp
1 - 20 of 95 Posts