Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too sure how to explain this but do you know sometimes when there are just situations so incredibly bad that it causes you to cut off all your feelings and emotions when dealing with a problem. A point where you think from a very objective standpoint on how to solve a problem or resolve a situation or just outright to save yourself from getting more hurt?

What I'm asking is what is your emotional cut off point. At what point is the only emotion going through you is complete apathy?

Or are there periods in life where you enter this mode like in work or what not so that you believe you would operate more effectively?

Please discuss? I would like to hear some of your experiences...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For myself, I cut off when;

My core principles and ideals are challenged and universally disregarded unanimously by the people around me.

People continue to disregard the advice I give them and continue to repeat their mistakes.

When someone calls me a hypocrite, directly or indirectly.

When someone just outright expresses that they have no interest in me and would just like to have nothing to do with me.

When people express that they have no interest for me feelings and my opinion.

When someone tries to really force their own opinion or agenda down my throat.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I'm not too sure how to explain this but do you know sometimes when there are just situations so incredibly bad that it causes you to cut off all your feelings and emotions when dealing with a problem. A point where you think from a very objective standpoint on how to solve a problem or resolve a situation or just outright to save yourself from getting more hurt?
It used to be only when my mind was made up. I had thought about it for a while, I knew what I had to do, and I knew people weren't going to like it. If I had to deliver bad news, or be strong for a situation.
But I think to a certain degree I'm always like this, cutting off my emotions and choosing to connect with people I trust or on my terms.

What I'm asking is what is your emotional cut off point. At what point is the only emotion going through you is complete apathy?
I would say most of the time I'm apathetic, curious, thoughtful, interested, passionate, or amused and then sometimes, angry. While I'm never completely apathetic to people (unless they have demonstrated to me that they are, for some reason, my enemy--at which point I only care to see that their plans are thwarted when I come across them), usually, I try to keep a level of distance so that I think rationally around them despite what I might feel about it. My emotions can sometimes cloud my judgment and I have found in the past that if, for example, I'm feeling all lovey-dovey I can't think clearly anymore and I've completely forgotten why we came to the grocery store. So frustrating.

I'm still hot-headed at times. I'm working on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When people are extremely insecure/hypersensitive. It's overwhelming to be with someone who no matter what you do, is likely to feel offended or deeply hurt. I find they cause me to shut down... because they're fucking exhausting.. especially if I sense they enjoy drama in their lives just for the sake of drama. I like drama to mean something and provide a means to an end between reasonable, mature adults-- otherwise I avoid it with a Meep Meep like Roadrunner from Coyote!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts