Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the ways I see emotional intelligence is this:

Understanding of emotions ----> Understanding of ideals ----> Abstract discovery and understanding of how emotional connections can apply to even the most different situations

I think one of the reasons why emotional intelligence can be undervalued is because it tends to be interpreted wrongly

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I also had a belief that emotional intelligence was complete bullshit. Though today I'm not quite sure, but I am getting more emotional as I age so...

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Fortunately EQ is trainable and acquirable for everyone that puts enough effort into it, as long as he cares. The importance is questionable, if you don't care about feelings as such I doubt one would bother gaining a proper EQ other than messing with people for the sake of messing with them.

My EQ is probably quite underdeveloped, I can't tell how people are feeling unless it's obvious (crying, screaming) but subtle stuff such as boredom or awkwardness, not in the slightest. In the same run I don't see much of a reason to improve my EQ as all it'd ever be good for in my case would be socializing with others, which I sort of dislike to an extend to begin with. Also I prefer a tad of randomness in my every day life - if you dig too deep and grow aware of all clockworks around you I imagine one would get bored quite quickly. I'm a great fan of randomization.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For

My EQ is probably quite underdeveloped, I can't tell how people are feeling unless it's obvious (crying, screaming) but subtle stuff such as boredom or awkwardness, not in the slightest. In the same run I don't see much of a reason to improve my EQ as all it'd ever be good for in my case would be socializing with others, which I sort of dislike to an extend to begin with. Also I prefer a tad of randomness in my every day life - if you dig too deep and grow aware of all clockworks around you I imagine one would get bored quite quickly. I'm a great fan of randomization.
I admit that the world of emotions can be tricky and there are too many gray areas. A lot of personal experience and abstract analyzation are always required.

''Randomness'' can come in the studies of emotions, because people are very complex even though we find connections from time to time.

I think emotional intelligence extends beyond just socializing, it also can involve the systems we learn in social sciences, for example.

(Sorry I hope that I make sense somewhat)

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I rather keep emotions out of science and everything that is supposed to make sense on a rational level. For me emotions are the very definition of irrationality as they override logic and judgment, which is never a good thing, may it be due to anger or euphoria. It certainly cannot hurt to understand why a certain person got upset about something you've done, however this is very individual and you're likely to never draw proper conclusions but at best probabilities of how a certain thing affects a certain person.

I'd prefer to live in an impartial world, if I had the choice :tongue:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rather keep emotions out of science and everything that is supposed to make sense on a rational level. For me emotions are the very definition of irrationality as they override logic and judgment, which is never a good thing, may it be due to anger or euphoria. It certainly cannot hurt to understand why a certain person got upset about something you've done, however this is very individual and you're likely to never draw proper conclusions but at best probabilities of how a certain thing affects a certain person.

I'd prefer to live in an impartial world, if I had the choice :tongue:

I don't think studying about emotions is necessarily only linked to irrational reasons for anger or sadness :tongue: It can also be about wanting to implement ideals based on shared values or personal significance.

Plus, sociology is a study for a reason. It is hard to separate emotions altogether, because humans are personal beings.

As for never being able to draw more proper conclusions but working at probabilities, yes that is why diplomacy can be tricky thus it can take a lot of experience and I know a number of people have their strengths elsewhere instead of wanting to undergo experiences that will make them have a higher-than-average understanding of empathy or tact.

However, drawing up on probabilities can still be useful because certain fields of progress do require emotional work and strategic diplomacy. For example, in general emotions shared amongst people that stem from micro systems indirectly contribute to the development of macro systems.

At the same time, I respect the fact that we all have differences. I respect your preference too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I always see these things (IQ and EQ) as a human measurement tool, used by the corporate, government, and business to exploit resources and use them efficiently.

EI is not undervalued. Probably yes in a corporate environment. But, generally no.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
It tends to be portrayed as a way for less intelligent people to feel good about themselves, and there is often an air of defensiveness about it, a need to devalue IQ to push up EQ that isn't impressive. That, and people who are just emotional will claim they have it in order to feel better about themselves when confronted with something they do not understand, which doesn't give a good impression either. A lot of people will use the idea as a crutch, many of whom won't necessarily have it. If it stops being used so often in this way, it won't so much be treated as the consolation prize for less intelligent people. Still, not having it does get a person judged pretty harshly, so it's not like people don't value it.

That said, it is not necessary to use it to study human or emotional things - it is simply one viable approach.

Reactions: darksoul
4,757 Posts
I don't think I have a lot of emotional intelligence - well at least compared to people I've known who've had it in buckets. I think my general obliviousness gets in the way. I don't think this makes me very INFP-like haha

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, there's no point having a high IQ if no one's going to listen to you, especially in a team.

Having a high EQ, but more importantly being able to effectively use it, can bring harmony to a team or even social/personal situations. We all know that stress/emotional stess can decrease productivity, mental health, etc... So a person who can apply their emotional understanding can ease out the situation to create a more positive environment for everyone. Who doesn't like productivity?!

@Erbse: I partly disagree. You can value what you do in science, especially if the cause is meaningful to you, yet function rationally in any situation that calls for rationality. Emotion can cloud judgement, but it can also be the drive for getting things done. There's not much of a point in working in a particular field if it doesn't bring any intrinsic value.

I wouldn't want to be in a world that's overly rich in emotions or highly impartial... That's so black and white...

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
@Erbse: I partly disagree. You can value what you do in science, especially if the cause is meaningful to you, yet function rationally in any situation that calls for rationality. Emotion can cloud judgement, but it can also be the drive for getting things done. There's not much of a point in working in a particular field if it doesn't bring any intrinsic value.

I wouldn't want to be in a world that's overly rich in emotions or highly impartial... That's so black and white...
It may be true that it's black and white, but in a world where everything would be impartial to people there'd be no more need for wars for instance as everyone dropped their judgments, values and beliefs by realizing that those are everything that holds us back from archiving a perfect state of being in the first place.

You can still have differences that lead to debates and discussion, it's not like robots all being programmed the same way, however impartial beings typically have the highest tolerance and the greatest level of acceptance and possibly understanding, as long as things make sense on a rational level.

Emotions can always be negative as well as positive, this is exactly why they're as evil as they are given peoples individual values, views and beliefs. Excitement and motivation can get things done, on the flipside, if you can't be impartial you'll take things personally which slowly but surely will cause emotions to backfire, causing them to transfer into sorrow, hate and dislike in their extremes.

The way I typically say it, which most people are likely to agree with - The most stupid things you've done in your life were either done in a state of anger / hatred or joy / euphoria. I don't think anyone would disagree with when I say that joy and euphoria are good things going by societies consensus, much like anger and hatred are the bad things.

However, both states do cloud the judgment equally, and whether or not you do something stupid (lets just say breaking a Vase) it doesn't matter which state you been in, the vase is broken. Whether it was due to a fit of rage where took and slam it into the floor or you accidentally bumped into it while jumping around in joy doesn't matter - people will see it subjectively and appreciate different sentiments, factually however the vase is broke and you weren't in control of your mind when it happened.

Hence I think that a world where things were more impartial (not necessarily to an extreme I outlined initially) would be an overall better world, as dry and cold that may seem to F's around here :tongue:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I don't think emotional intelligence is something that we just made up, because some people where not very intelligent or had a high IQ. There are many types of intelligence in this world, just like some people are more talented in book related things or reading and others in math or something. We can't be good at everything. Some people are very smart but they know nothing about people and there emotion. It is not necessarily a made up thing, just because you might not be good at it.

I am not sure if I have high emotional intelligence. I have a lot of emotions and I can read some people emotions easily but I am not sure if I am good at it. Am I intelligent? in some ways yeah but not in all ways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a book called Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman - i highly recommend it, it's a brilliant book and gives a great deal of understanding...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts